Coffee-grounds/beans/leftover - uses in garden besides compost

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Looking4Answers

Coffee-grounds/beans/leftover - uses in garden besides compost

Post by Looking4Answers » Sun May 10, 2020 3:04 pm

At one time I thought coffee grounds were good for plants such as azaleas, but I had a hard time saving up many without mold. Recently I read to mix leftover coffee half and half with water and use it to water plants.

When I search on the Internet, I see recommendations both for and against coffee grounds or leftover coffee. Many references to the caffeine and/or acid, stating that it is either good or bad to use directly around plants. Also not to use unbrewed coffee beans.

Any expert opinions or experiences out there?

If coffee grounds are good for acid-loving plants what is the best way to save?

If I have coffee beans, are there any uses for them? (Was given some beans that are not to my particular taste as to variety.) Would they repel deer?

Do not have a compost pile and am not really interested in starting one at the moment.

cheese_breath

Re: Coffee-grounds/beans/leftover - uses in garden besides compost

Post by cheese_breath » Sun May 10, 2020 3:11 pm

Regift the beans. :D
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Sun May 10, 2020 3:17 pm

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/garde ... composting

I agree with most of the info above. However, I've seen no evidence they repel slugs. I dump half the grounds each week into a compost tumbler along with banana peels, and finely crushed eggshells. The other half I directly spread on top of the mulch of my citrus trees (acid loving plants). However, once coffee is brewed, the leftover grounds are fairly pH neutral.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Sun May 10, 2020 3:52 pm

I would simply walk them out and top dress the mulch around my azaleas without too much fuss or muss.

SteveinMN

Post by SteveinMN » Sun May 10, 2020 4:08 pm

I keep a shallow dish near my kitchen compost bin in which I spread out the morning's coffee grounds to dry substantially before I either put them on plants or compost them. When I just tossed the wet grounds into the bin, I got mold and very wet compost. So now I use this intermediate step.

makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes » Sun May 10, 2020 4:51 pm

I keep coffee grounds, apple cores, banana peels, egg shells, etc. in an old quart yogurt container in the fridge. When it’s full, I put into my old Vitamix blender, add water and blend it all into a sludgy liquid which I then pour onto plant beds, shrubs, etc.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sun May 10, 2020 4:56 pm

I stopped composting after I saw a rat's nest being dug on the perimeter. Since then, I simply take the coffee grounds every day and dump them in the garden and scratch the dirt over them. In the winter, when there is just the earth and green manure growing, its the vegetable garden; now I will switch to the perennial and annuals.

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Mon May 11, 2020 12:36 am

I dry the grounds out in a bowl for a day or 2, then transfer into an older coffee container & keep it in the refrigerator with the lid off. I rad somewhere the grounds help absorb fridge odors.

When the fridge coffee can is full, mother gets it for gardening stuff.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Mon May 11, 2020 11:34 am

We dump our coffee-grounds directly into a 2-quart soft plastic container with a lid at the end of the kitchen counter. When that is fairly full, I take it to various garden areas and strew the still wet grounds here and there with a big spoon. It only takes me something like 5 minutes to get rid of all the grounds and rinse out the container. There is no smell and after a few days the grounds are invisible.

It's the cleanest way to deal with coffee-grounds we have found. 8-)
JW
Retired at Last

John Z

Post by John Z » Mon May 11, 2020 1:54 pm

Not an expert here but have read many articles over the last 5 years looking for easy ways to provide my large Canary Island Date Palm tree with the trace elements and nutrients it needs over and above those contained in off the shelf palm fertilizers you buy. Used coffee grounds can provide some additional: Potassium 258.2 mg/100 grams, Magnesium 49.6, Calcium 37.2, Manganese, Copper 1.2, Sodium 1.1, Iron 0.9, Zinc 0.1. Many coffee trees are grown in rich and volcanic soils and the trees absorb these trace nutrients and pass them on to the beans. We drink about 20 cups of coffee per week and I scatter the used grounds within about 10 feet of the trunk. The grass is always greener in the area where I scatter the grounds.

My mother always put used grounds around her rose bushes and they were some of the healthiest looking plants on the block.

There are other soil products you can buy, one being Azomite (TM) which contains approximately 70 trace elements and minerals, which I use.

Mimi2

Post by Mimi2 » Tue May 12, 2020 12:54 am

I French press my coffee. Pull out the tamper mechanism. Add water. Stir. Put into a Rubbermaid tea pitcher. When I’ve collected enough grounds and liquid I take pitcher and long spoon outside. Stir. Pour on roses, gardenias, and hydrangeas all acid loving plants.
Mimi
Ordinary things, done consistently, can produce extraordinary results.