Regret Concept 2 Model D purchase

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
buckeye7983

Regret Concept 2 Model D purchase

Post by buckeye7983 » Sun May 10, 2020 10:48 am

If you have purchased a Concept 2 Model D rowing machine and regret purchasing it, why? Was there something about it that surprised you after purchasing? If you no longer use it, what aerobic exercise has replaced it and why?

Thanks!

Bronko

Re: Regret Concept 2 Model D purchase

Post by Bronko » Sun May 10, 2020 5:56 pm

I've had mine for 10 years. Moved 4 times. It's a solid work horse and I would say it's the best overall workout. No joint issues pounding pavement, covers full range of muscles, and will leave you in a pile of sweat when you go for it.
Never let a little bit of money get in the way of a real good time.

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Sun May 10, 2020 6:00 pm

I have owned mine for over 2 years, it is amazing. I continue to use it regularly it has helped me stay in shape. If someone regrets buying one I bet it is because they do not use it. It would be a pretty expensive towel rack.

PavlovsCat

Post by PavlovsCat » Sun May 10, 2020 6:01 pm

buckeye7983 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:48 am
If you have purchased a Concept 2 Model D rowing machine and regret purchasing it, why? Was there something about it that surprised you after purchasing? If you no longer use it, what aerobic exercise has replaced it and why?

Thanks!
Just sold mine for more than what I paid, the second hand market is crazy right now. If you regret it, now is the time to sell. Edit: bought it without having ever rowed. Prefer barbell exercises and doing Jiu Jitsu for aerobics.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun May 10, 2020 6:03 pm

PavlovsCat wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:01 pm
buckeye7983 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:48 am

Thanks!
Just sold mine for more than what I paid, the second hand market is crazy right now. If you regret it, now is the time to sell.
Exactly what I was going to say; if they regret buying it, they could easily sell it for at least what they paid new. Even during non-pandemic times, their resell is amazing.

Topic Author
buckeye7983

Post by buckeye7983 » Mon May 11, 2020 12:10 pm

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

Thinking of getting one without trying it out first (due to COVID). For now, it is sold out (due to COVID).

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Mon May 11, 2020 12:24 pm

buckeye7983 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:10 pm
Thanks to everyone for your replies!

Thinking of getting one without trying it out first (due to COVID). For now, it is sold out (due to COVID).
You wont be able to buy one for months, unless you buy one from the 2nd hand market at more than what new ones are going for.

I have a water rower. I do like it. Ive used a concept before, also nice. Id be happy with either.

Kagord

Post by Kagord » Mon May 11, 2020 1:26 pm

My only regret is that it's very hard to watch a show during this workout because I'm watching the 1:35/500M rate, which can be quite painful :shock:

mass_biker

Post by mass_biker » Mon May 11, 2020 1:38 pm

No regrets at all.

I am a former competitive runner + cyclist.

I find it a great complement to running and cycling with the standard set of workouts (2k, 5k, 1:40/20 repeats etc.) making things reasonably varied. In not more than 25-30 min, I get a great workout and can push myself pretty hard without the joint wear-and-tear of running etc. So it's been great for cross training.

There is a nifty little iPhone bracket you can snap onto the monitor...makes watching YouTube videos on a phone possible and you can also track workout stats. I think this bracket cost $10.

I have my Concept 2 next to the indoor (bike) trainer in my pain cave, so can also watch shows etc. on the bigger TV. Wireless headsets make all this possible and pretty enjoyable (as does the after market seat cushion).

We migrated to a Concept 2 some five+ years ago from a Waterrower - I much prefer the Concept 2.

It's a lifetime piece of equipment by the way. Highly recommended.

m_b

tm3

Post by tm3 » Mon May 11, 2020 3:32 pm

It is a great piece of equipment, provided that it fits one's goals and expectations.

Before The Virus I would see a lot of people at the gym get on the elliptical or a bike, turn on the TV, and immerse themselves in their phones while slooooowllly turning the cranks. They thought they were "getting a workout" and I guess that was a better workout than lying on the couch.

The C2 does not lend itself to that. Form is paramount, and has to be watched every session. Rowers tend to have back pain issues, and back pain can be caused or exacerbated by poor technique.

The C2 is great for HIIT if you are into that.

Carson

Post by Carson » Mon May 11, 2020 5:36 pm

Dh bought one when he setup a CrossFit -ish gym in our garage. The concept 2 has been used less than 10 times in 8 years. He prefers to do no cardio.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

arrieros81

Post by arrieros81 » Mon May 11, 2020 7:39 pm

In the minority here, but I wouldn’t get one without knowing whether rowing was a good activity for you first.

I regret purchasing it; could hardly row more than 10 minutes without my hands becoming insanely sore and chafed.

I have double jointed elbows too and had a tendency to hyperextend the arms with the pulling motion.

Most people justifiably love it, but just putting that out there. It may work for some body types better than others.

fallingeggs

Post by fallingeggs » Mon May 11, 2020 7:51 pm

I love mine. I use it as part of a circuit that includes body weight and sand bag exercises. I add running in the mix to keep things "new."

I think it's a great tool, But like any tool, it takes knowing how to use it with good form. And it can take you many months to build up enough strength in your back / core to even support rowing for 30 minutes, even at a slow pace. It's a movement that is completely new to most people, so you have to give it time or you will hurt yourself.

PS - I rowed competitively in college for a year.

PPS - If your hands hurt, just wear gloves. No shame in that. That's what my wife does to keep her hands lady-like.

Millennial

Post by Millennial » Mon May 11, 2020 8:05 pm

arrieros81 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:39 pm
I regret purchasing it; could hardly row more than 10 minutes without my hands becoming insanely sore and chafed.
Over time, you build up calouses and this goes away.

Jimmypop

Post by Jimmypop » Mon May 11, 2020 8:15 pm

One of the better home gym equipment purchases I have made, even got the wife to use it.

Already mentioned but you can always get your cash back from it unlike other exercise equipment should you find out you don’t like it.

arrieros81

Post by arrieros81 » Mon May 11, 2020 8:33 pm

fallingeggs wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:51 pm
PPS - If your hands hurt, just wear gloves. No shame in that. That's what my wife does to keep her hands lady-like.
Millennial wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:05 pm
Over time, you build up calouses and this goes away.
Thank you for the advice. At least it wasn’t an expensive purchase for a home-based cardio machine. I gave it to a family member though.

Question, is the rower really efficient as a cardio machine, compared to a stationary cycle or treadmill? It seems there’s a bit of a adaptation phase, and involves a forward backward motion that was tiresome in addition to chafing hands.

Millennial

Post by Millennial » Mon May 11, 2020 8:42 pm

arrieros81 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:33 pm
Question, is the rower really efficient as a cardio machine, compared to a stationary cycle or treadmill? It seems there’s a bit of a adaptation phase, and involves a forward backward motion that was tiresome in addition to chafing hands.
I think it can be, but I'll admit it can be hard to get the technique right without a coach. I rowed for four years in undergrad and I remember it took a while (and some critics) to get it right.

Once you get it down, it is a great aerobic activity. Depending on the length of workout, I have no issues holding my heart rate in the 160-180 range. I do have a harder time with really long activities - 10k at a time is pretty much my limit on the erg, and that's only 37-38 minutes. I can easily spend an hour or two running or cycling.

lgs88

Post by lgs88 » Mon May 11, 2020 9:11 pm

If you regret it, you can turn right around and sell it for close to what you paid. Those things hold their value remarkably well.

If you're new to it, it'll take some getting used to. It doesn't come quite as naturally as using a stationary bike or treadmill. Watch some videos and stick with it.
merely an interested amateur

tm3

Post by tm3 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:58 am

arrieros81 wrote:

I have double jointed elbows too and had a tendency to hyperextend the arms with the pulling motion.

Most people justifiably love it, but just putting that out there. It may work for some body types better than others.
I used to have problems with blisters and hand pain. Gloves helped, but the solution was proper technique. Proper grip, no more blisters.

Pulling motion, here is the T Word (technique) again -- almost every beginner sees the stroke as a pulling motion, like starting a lawnmower. Proper T results from treating the stroke as a pushing motion, and from really accentuating the legs and core which helps take the arms out of the stroke. The little arm contraction at the end of the stroke should only provide a small % of the power.

Hyperextension is another common beginner mistake, and one of the main causes of back pain.

I'm certainly not trying to pick on you. Your post is a great example of what I was trying to explain about attention to technique being so important. Its a horses for courses thing, and the OP (and others) may decide that they don't want to fool with the complexity while others may like the challenge. I can get just as good a cardio workout on a stationary bike as I can on the C2.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Tue May 12, 2020 8:43 am

tm3 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:58 am
arrieros81 wrote:

I used to have problems with blisters and hand pain. Gloves helped, but the solution was proper technique. Proper grip, no more blisters.

Pulling motion, here is the T Word (technique) again -- almost every beginner sees the stroke as a pulling motion, like starting a lawnmower. Proper T results from treating the stroke as a pushing motion, and from really accentuating the legs and core which helps take the arms out of the stroke. The little arm contraction at the end of the stroke should only provide a small % of the power.
I use my arms way more than I should, but I actually like it. My arms are nice and tired by the end. The pulling motion, I also feel it in my upper back. Again, probably incorrect technique but I like the feeling.

jibantik

Post by jibantik » Tue May 12, 2020 9:07 am

There is very little risk to buying one because they have an incredible resell value. If you end up wanting to get rid of it you will be able to resell it almost instantly at nearly what you bought it for.

I think they are great machines, personally. Brutal though, absolutely brutal. Mentally and physically.

mike152

Post by mike152 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:04 am

I rowed when I was in high school, and now own a C2 erg to get my middle-age cardio in. It's a great machine, if you use it right.

If you haven't rowed before, definitely spend a lot of time upfront getting the form right, since it's a motion that you probably aren't used it. Make sure your damper setting is appropriate. Start with a lower drag factor and it'll force you to improve your form. Higher damper / drag settings can increase the risk of injury.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue May 12, 2020 11:08 am

mike152 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:04 am
I rowed when I was in high school, and now own a C2 erg to get my middle-age cardio in. It's a great machine, if you use it right.

If you haven't rowed before, definitely spend a lot of time upfront getting the form right, since it's a motion that you probably aren't used it. Make sure your damper setting is appropriate. Start with a lower drag factor and it'll force you to improve your form. Higher damper / drag settings can increase the risk of injury.
This is probably the most common mistake: setting the resistance too high. It's just like riding a bike, there is a fine line between cadence, power production, and how fast you are actually propelling yourself forward. Start off with the resistance low and progressively move up as needed.

BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Tue May 12, 2020 11:19 am

I’ve had mine for about 10 yrs. It looks as good now as when I unboxed it and that’s with intermittent moderate use. Recently, the quarantine has rekindled my love affair with it. I don’t think I’ve ever done a single piece of maintenance on it and it just keeps on ticking.

The return on investment for my Concept2 has been quite high.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Tue May 12, 2020 11:22 am

Bought mine during the pandemic. Love it.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?