Buying a used Jaguar

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
Planner01
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:44 pm

Buying a used Jaguar

Post by Planner01 » Sun May 10, 2020 9:14 am

MIL (70) needed to replace her Kia Sportage as it was rusting (15 years old) and with high mileage. She and new current husband (78) are in okay position with a small but paid off home, social security and she’s drawing on a $300k annuity. Outside of that they don’t have much more. Her husband works part time at a fishing shop to supplement their income as they like to maintain a small boat they have and also play golf in their retirement community. Overall they are in good health.

MIL found an opportunity to buy a neighbor’s used Jaguar that was sitting in the garage since the owner (neighbor’s husband) died. She bought it for $2k. The price is fantastic however I worry that they are already on a tight budget and the maintenance on it is pretty expensive. The only positive I see here is that they might be able to sell it in a year for more than what they bought it when they realize they can’t maintain the car. Assuming that by then it won’t need $4k on a new engine.

My DH thinks it was good idea bought it as she’s happy with the purchase and the price was a deal. I am not too sure this was a good idea. I worry they are getting into a money pit and he left without a car later.
Last edited by Planner01 on Sun May 10, 2020 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lalamimi
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:22 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by Lalamimi » Sun May 10, 2020 9:16 am

My brother has one that has just been sitting. Not a good idea.

barneycat
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by barneycat » Sun May 10, 2020 9:18 am

I don't think it's a good idea. Jaguar is near the bottom of Consumer Report's reliability ratings (#28 out of 33 manufacturers).

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 6346
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by Kenkat » Sun May 10, 2020 9:19 am

They paid $2k for it?

Just drive it until something big goes wrong and then tow it down to the junk yard; they’ll get $500 or so for it as salvage. Take it to an independent shop for maintenance, not the dealer, and their risk is small and they get to drive a Jag around for awhile. Maximum exposure is $1500 and that goes down every month it doesn’t break.

User avatar
Raymond
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:04 am

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by Raymond » Sun May 10, 2020 10:19 am

Kenkat wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:19 am
They paid $2k for it?

Just drive it until something big goes wrong and then tow it down to the junk yard; they’ll get $500 or so for it as salvage. Take it to an independent shop for maintenance, not the dealer, and their risk is small and they get to drive a Jag around for awhile. Maximum exposure is $1500 and that goes down every month it doesn’t break.
Agreed.

OP, how old is the Jaguar and how long was it sitting in the garage?

Did it get the recommended maintenance while driven by the previous owner, and after he passed?

The term "fright pig" comes to mind - a cosmetically attractive higher-end car with potentially serious and expensive-to-fix problems down the road.

I hope your MIL doesn't go down the rabbit hole of spending multiples of the purchase price to fix stuff.
Last edited by Raymond on Sun May 10, 2020 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

student
Posts: 4898
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by student » Sun May 10, 2020 10:41 am

Kenkat wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:19 am
They paid $2k for it?

Just drive it until something big goes wrong and then tow it down to the junk yard; they’ll get $500 or so for it as salvage. Take it to an independent shop for maintenance, not the dealer, and their risk is small and they get to drive a Jag around for awhile. Maximum exposure is $1500 and that goes down every month it doesn’t break.
Good suggestion.

adamthesmythe
Posts: 3546
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun May 10, 2020 11:17 am

Kenkat wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:19 am
They paid $2k for it?

Just drive it until something big goes wrong and then tow it down to the junk yard; they’ll get $500 or so for it as salvage. Take it to an independent shop for maintenance, not the dealer, and their risk is small and they get to drive a Jag around for awhile. Maximum exposure is $1500 and that goes down every month it doesn’t break.
Sure, why not? Unless, of course, it's their only car and they really really need to have a running car.

And they might get a bit more than 500 as a parts car when it dies.

chrisjul
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:15 pm

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by chrisjul » Sun May 10, 2020 12:00 pm

Advise a HARD PASS!

illumination
Posts: 678
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by illumination » Sun May 10, 2020 1:40 pm

This is a terrible, terrible idea.

My friend was a professional mechanic that owned his own shop and had a nearly flawless Jaguar XJR and said he couldn't afford to keep it on the road even doing the work himself. They have always been a problem brand.

If you want a nice luxury car for cheap, find an older Lexus. You can get something like Lexus ES300 that any shop can fix (basically a Camry) and you won't be best friends with a mechanic.

User avatar
Brianmcg321
Posts: 710
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:23 am

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by Brianmcg321 » Sun May 10, 2020 1:43 pm

Have you considered a used Camry?
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.

User avatar
Raymond
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:04 am

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by Raymond » Sun May 10, 2020 1:48 pm

OP has stated the MIL has *already* bought the car.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

7eight9
Posts: 1084
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by 7eight9 » Sun May 10, 2020 1:51 pm

JAGUAR = Joy And Grief Under A Roof

My only experience was with mid-80s XJ6. Lovely car. Drove like a dream. Was on a first name basis with the local dealership.

From the comments above it sounds like the quality hasn't gotten a lot better.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

phxjcc
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:47 pm

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by phxjcc » Sun May 10, 2020 1:54 pm

I am cornfused.

What is the year and model?

Series 1 E type?
Yes!
And I will give you 5x what you paid.
Now.

A 4D sedan during the Ford years?
NFW.

randomguy
Posts: 9039
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by randomguy » Sun May 10, 2020 2:08 pm

phxjcc wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:54 pm
I am cornfused.

What is the year and model?

Series 1 E type?
Yes!
And I will give you 5x what you paid.
Now.

A 4D sedan during the Ford years?
NFW.
It is a 2k jaguar. Odd are its an X-Type with 250k miles (ok it is sort of unbelievable that one lasted that long). Yes it will be a money pit but ideally it will only cost them 2-3k (i.e. a couple of 500 dollar repairs before the 3k one that convinces them this is a bad idea) and maybe it will last a couple years. Not ever used luxury car dies in year 1 or 2. Some make it to 3:)

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11041
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by Sandtrap » Sun May 10, 2020 2:17 pm

"Money Pit"

Get a toyota or honda.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

HomeStretch
Posts: 4675
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by HomeStretch » Sun May 10, 2020 2:23 pm

As MIL bought the car already and is happy with it, why worry about it? If the maintenance costs or reliability of the car become an issue, she can deal with it at that point. Perhaps you can gift her a AAA membership as a Mother’s Day gift.

This assumes she is driving it locally and isn’t planning long road trips through desolate areas without cell service...

User avatar
greg24
Posts: 3895
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:34 am

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by greg24 » Sun May 10, 2020 2:55 pm

The deal is done. They have not asked for your opinion on the matter.

If you feel you must say something, I'd advise them to listen to the poster upthread who said they should drive it until something goes wrong, then sell it to a junkyard.

User avatar
alpenglow
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:02 pm

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by alpenglow » Sun May 10, 2020 4:42 pm

I would give it a good detailing and resell it before something goes wrong. I have two friends that owned Jags. Both had massive problems and maintenance costs. Neither owns a Jag anymore.

Jags4186
Posts: 4880
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by Jags4186 » Sun May 10, 2020 4:46 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:19 am
They paid $2k for it?

Just drive it until something big goes wrong and then tow it down to the junk yard; they’ll get $500 or so for it as salvage. Take it to an independent shop for maintenance, not the dealer, and their risk is small and they get to drive a Jag around for awhile. Maximum exposure is $1500 and that goes down every month it doesn’t break.
This is the correct answer. Everyone else feigning outrage over a Jaguar vs a Camry needs to relax.

User avatar
JonnyDVM
Posts: 2174
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:51 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by JonnyDVM » Sun May 10, 2020 4:52 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 4:46 pm
Kenkat wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:19 am
They paid $2k for it?

Just drive it until something big goes wrong and then tow it down to the junk yard; they’ll get $500 or so for it as salvage. Take it to an independent shop for maintenance, not the dealer, and their risk is small and they get to drive a Jag around for awhile. Maximum exposure is $1500 and that goes down every month it doesn’t break.
This is the correct answer. Everyone else feigning outrage over a Jaguar vs a Camry needs to relax.
Agreed. It was cheap. If they get a little enjoyment out of it it’s a win.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 20129
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by abuss368 » Sun May 10, 2020 5:08 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 2:17 pm
"Money Pit"

Get a toyota or honda.
j :happy
Could not have said it better!
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

WhyNotUs
Posts: 1738
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:38 am

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by WhyNotUs » Sun May 10, 2020 5:15 pm

Jags are fun to lease new as they are good for about three years. After that, they can be fun if a convertible and you do not need to to run.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

atikovi
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:20 pm
Location: Suburban Washington DC

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by atikovi » Sun May 10, 2020 6:04 pm

Raymond wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:48 pm
OP has stated the MIL has *already* bought the car.
Few people here read beyond the first post before mouthing off. :mrgreen:

corysold
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:58 pm

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by corysold » Sun May 10, 2020 6:22 pm

How is Jaguar still in business if every car they make needs to be off the road in 3 years?

randomguy
Posts: 9039
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by randomguy » Sun May 10, 2020 6:30 pm

corysold wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:22 pm
How is Jaguar still in business if every car they make needs to be off the road in 3 years?
Cause they look good:) And people on the net tend to exaggerate a bit on how bad they are. Land Rovers make it home from the dealership 99% of the time:) In the OP case, I have to imagine a 2k Jag is a 15-20 year old car. Thats getting up there for most brands.

Topic Author
Planner01
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by Planner01 » Sun May 10, 2020 7:25 pm

Yes, she already bought it and I think that as happy as she’s about the purchase I think deep inside she knows is a mistake because she hasn’t told us the details of how old the car is, mileage, etc... I think she just wants to enjoy the moment. I worry like many of you said, it’s a money pit.

DeskJumper
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:37 pm

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by DeskJumper » Mon May 11, 2020 12:52 pm

As said, the deal is done. Jaguars depreciate massively because they are dreadfully unreliable, but their core market of people who buy new don't typically keep the car beyond the warranty period before it gets replaced with the latest and greatest model. The car then gets passed down through a string of successive owners with less and less money to invest into keeping the car on the road, until eventually it ends up sitting or getting crushed. Like BMW and Mercedes, Jags are totally unforgiving of skipped maintenance. I'd say let them live and enjoy the car. If the previous owner was elderly and retired, the car probably got all its maintenance at dealer premium and might give them some fun, trouble free miles unless it sat for a long time. Then all bets are off. As they say: An object in motion tends to stay in motion. Cars that sit, especially British ones, develop issues you could never dream of having. If they end up with a huge repair bill they should junk it.

bloom2708
Posts: 7888
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by bloom2708 » Mon May 11, 2020 1:00 pm

I would just tell them to drive it.

Change the oil once a year.

If it stops driving, then it may not be worth it to fix it or even have it checked out.

You don't get much for a car for $2k in any brand.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

lazydavid
Posts: 3083
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by lazydavid » Mon May 11, 2020 1:03 pm

WhyNotUs wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:15 pm
Jags are fun to lease new as they are good for about three years. After that, they can be fun if a convertible and you do not need to to run.
So you can sit in the driveway with the top down and make "vroom vroom" noises? :P

jhsu802701
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:42 pm

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by jhsu802701 » Mon May 11, 2020 1:06 pm

DeskJumper wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:52 pm
As said, the deal is done. Jaguars depreciate massively because they are dreadfully unreliable, but their core market of people who buy new don't typically keep the car beyond the warranty period before it gets replaced with the latest and greatest model. The car then gets passed down through a string of successive owners with less and less money to invest into keeping the car on the road, until eventually it ends up sitting or getting crushed. Like BMW and Mercedes, Jags are totally unforgiving of skipped maintenance. I'd say let them live and enjoy the car. If the previous owner was elderly and retired, the car probably got all its maintenance at dealer premium and might give them some fun, trouble free miles unless it sat for a long time. Then all bets are off. As they say: An object in motion tends to stay in motion. Cars that sit, especially British ones, develop issues you could never dream of having. If they end up with a huge repair bill they should junk it.
Why do people without much money buy used Jaguars? I'm sure that a used Honda or Toyota for the same amount of money would likely deliver a much more reliable experience. Even a used GM or Ford would be a better experience. At least it's easy to find mechanics here in the US who know their way around GM and Ford products, and the parts are widely available and relatively cheap to come by.

FireSekr
Posts: 1071
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by FireSekr » Mon May 11, 2020 1:39 pm

It's $2k, who cares. Enjoy it till something goes wrong and then decide what to do. If it lasts a year and they sell it for scrap for $500, that was $1.5k for a year of car usage. That's much cheaper than 1 year of payments on a new or even lightly used mediocre and boring Toyota. If it lasts longer than a year its an even better deal

atikovi
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:20 pm
Location: Suburban Washington DC

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by atikovi » Mon May 11, 2020 2:01 pm

A $2,000 Jaguar is basically the same as a $2,000 Toyota. Spark plugs, brakes, motor oil. The cost of basic parts and labor is not much different, pads, rotors, filters, etc. especially if you buy online. The main difference are the electronic doodads. Navigation, electronic climate control, driver assist this and that which are what cost a lot to fix. If they break and you can live without them, the Jag will cost about the same to maintain.

MMiroir
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:14 pm

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by MMiroir » Mon May 11, 2020 4:47 pm

The concerns about modern Jaguar reliability are overblown. I bought a lightly used but heavily depreciated XJ five years ago, and it has been a very reliable vehicle which is much more rewarding to drive than the new Honda or Toyota that would have been purchased on the same budget.

DeskJumper
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:37 pm

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by DeskJumper » Mon May 11, 2020 5:30 pm

jhsu802701 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:06 pm
DeskJumper wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:52 pm
As said, the deal is done. Jaguars depreciate massively because they are dreadfully unreliable, but their core market of people who buy new don't typically keep the car beyond the warranty period before it gets replaced with the latest and greatest model. The car then gets passed down through a string of successive owners with less and less money to invest into keeping the car on the road, until eventually it ends up sitting or getting crushed. Like BMW and Mercedes, Jags are totally unforgiving of skipped maintenance. I'd say let them live and enjoy the car. If the previous owner was elderly and retired, the car probably got all its maintenance at dealer premium and might give them some fun, trouble free miles unless it sat for a long time. Then all bets are off. As they say: An object in motion tends to stay in motion. Cars that sit, especially British ones, develop issues you could never dream of having. If they end up with a huge repair bill they should junk it.
Why do people without much money buy used Jaguars? I'm sure that a used Honda or Toyota for the same amount of money would likely deliver a much more reliable experience. Even a used GM or Ford would be a better experience. At least it's easy to find mechanics here in the US who know their way around GM and Ford products, and the parts are widely available and relatively cheap to come by.
Because they see the low purchase price and the car visually looks great and they think it's just that easy to get behind the wheel of a luxury brand car. Then they get their first repair bill in the $5-6k range and they ship the car off to the next unsuspecting buyer.

Helo80
Posts: 1534
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by Helo80 » Mon May 11, 2020 5:34 pm

When you're dealing a $2k car, just drive it and keep it mechanically safe and let everything else around it die if needed.... It's a $2k car. If you get 10,000 miles out of it, I'd say you won. Worst case is carmax would probably not give you less than $500 for it.

BruinBones
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:39 pm

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by BruinBones » Tue May 12, 2020 5:06 pm

I owned a convertible Jaguar XJS for 17 years. It was a second car and garaged-kept for many of those years. Keeping it looking nice and fully maintained was fun for several years, but eventually it became tedious. Furthermore, maintenance for this, and any luxury car, can get expensive.

I would try to find out if the previous owner had a regular shop that would do the maintenance. You can get a good idea of its overall condition from a mechanic who is familiar. If not, a shop that regularly maintains Jaguars is your next bet for an honest assessment.

I am not in favor of advising someone who is in their 70's to just drive a car until something big goes wrong - something big can happen at the wrong time!

finite_difference
Posts: 1795
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 pm

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by finite_difference » Tue May 12, 2020 5:13 pm

FireSekr wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:39 pm
It's $2k, who cares. Enjoy it till something goes wrong and then decide what to do. If it lasts a year and they sell it for scrap for $500, that was $1.5k for a year of car usage. That's much cheaper than 1 year of payments on a new or even lightly used mediocre and boring Toyota. If it lasts longer than a year its an even better deal
+1.

More details on the type of car would be interesting though.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

valleyrock
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:12 am

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by valleyrock » Tue May 12, 2020 5:22 pm

I'd activate the On-Star and pay the fee for that. A car with that many miles is bound to break down for any number of reasons, even if the basic maintenance is kept up with, as it should.

Get a look at the owner's manual to make sure about the basic maintenance schedule, and get the thing checked out by a competent, independent mechanic, to make sure about key safety items such as brakes, steering, and tires. Bear in mind that a foreign car shop servicing such cars is going to be expensive because, for one thing, they have to have on hand a lot of specialized tools.

alfaspider
Posts: 2799
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by alfaspider » Tue May 12, 2020 5:26 pm

Kind of hard to give much advice without knowing what sort of Jaguar they bought. It could have anywhere from 4 to 12 cyl, anywhere from 100 to 500hp, and be anything from a classic car, to a rebadged ford, to a sedate cruiser, to a modern barn burner. Jaguar has a bad reputation for reliability, but you don't know what they are in for in terms of potential repair costs without knowing what they actually have.

Given that it was $2k, I'm going to assume it wasn't an E-type or a late model F-type. If it's an X-type, it's basically a rebadged Ford. Think of it as you would as 2000 Ford Contour with maybe an upscale interior (they are actually on the same platform) and powerplant. Same motor as the Lincoln LS. I'd advise them not to put too much money in it, but be careful of safety items if it's been sitting a while. 15 year old tires may look ok, but they are not safe- there's a date code on the tire if you are unsure. It may also be time for new brake fluid. It may be worth paying $100-200 for an independent shop to inspect it and tell them what they might be in for in terms of repairs.

User avatar
AAA
Posts: 1329
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:56 am

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by AAA » Tue May 12, 2020 6:45 pm

Wasn't the old joke about Jaguars that you should buy two so you can drive one while the other is in the garage?

User avatar
BB76
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: Buying a used Jaguar

Post by BB76 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:16 pm

I get all the logic for not buying the "Jaaaaaag," but given that the purchase price is now a sunk cost (she did buy it), enjoy some English luxury for a bit. Get some basic service done, buy a case of your preferred synthetic because it will burn oil like it's drinking it, and enjoy life. If something major fails, and something major will eventually fail because it is a "Jaaaaaag," scrap it. I had one a few years ago and while the power, interior and styling were nice, I ended up selling it to a mechanic for his gf. It was a fun car and looked great. I remember reading in one of the car rags about logic vs. emotion in vehicle purchase decisions. Enjoy what you drive and if that is a Toyota or Honda, great. But if you want something else, go for it. Life is too short to drive boring.
:sharebeer
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.” ― E.F. Schumacher

Post Reply