Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
Findourway1
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:18 am

Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by Findourway1 » Sat May 09, 2020 6:41 pm

Hello all,

We found a house listed by an agent-owner and it sold within 2 days to another bidder. However, the first buyer backed out after they did a walk-through - not sure about formal inspection. Their reasons were active stains on the inside of roof from flashing leaks and broken hermetic seals on windows. We knew about the windows and roof being older but roof leaks was news to us. We decided to make an offer taking our needs into account and the owner showed receipts of repairs made less than a a week ago (repairs made after the original buyer pointed out the leaks).

Since then we have been visiting the area to walk around the neighborhood more and researching the house/area more as well. The repairs were made by a handyman company that claims experience with minor roof repairs. However, one area of the roof appears to have pronounced gap or sag like a small pothole and will have home inspector look at it. We noticed the colored ribbons or connectors running under the ridge after taking close up pictures - that helps to see the "pothole".

Our agent is great but I think her incentive is to make this transaction happen and any inspector would want to keep her (and us) happy. So we are hoping to -
1. pinpoint the issues and potential costs to get credit during closing/reduce the price
OR
2. drop out if issues are too daunting & expensive

If inspector does not give full details, should we explore getting a roofer to inspect just to be sure? What else should we be thinking of?

Feedback much appreciated!

mortfree
Posts: 2331
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by mortfree » Sat May 09, 2020 6:44 pm

Walk away.

Or be prepared to pay money to fix it the right way. Assuming it is fixable.

I don’t think anyone you listed will be looking out for you. Other than hiring your own roofer to do the inspection

If anyone involved recommends a certain person or company do not hire that company.

You might even want to ask them (agent, etc) so you can cross those companies off your list.
Last edited by mortfree on Sat May 09, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Triple digit golfer
Posts: 5334
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sat May 09, 2020 6:48 pm

Get your own inspection and specifically tell the inspector about these issues. Also have a roof inspection done separately by an independent third party inspector not involved in the roofing business, who specializes in or has an inspector who specializes in roofing. Someone you find on your own or recommended by your regular home inspector.

Why would your regular home inspector not give full details? I don't understand what you mean by that.

rich126
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by rich126 » Sat May 09, 2020 6:50 pm

For me water issues are the worst. Roof leaks are often difficult to find.

I’ve been haunted by basements flooding, roof issues and even in AZ had 2 bedrooms flooded because a landscape guy forgot to turn off water.

I once put in an offer on a house but when I revisited during a rain storm I saw a mess of mud in the back yard and slightly entering the house so I withdrew the offer.

Topic Author
Findourway1
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:18 am

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by Findourway1 » Sat May 09, 2020 7:02 pm

Figured the Home inspector won't see or notice everything as they are jack of all trades. I expected to replace the roof after purchase due to the age (16+ years asphalt shingle) but the leaks made me pause a bit.

I am assuming it is fixable as I noticed no stains or water issues while visiting - did not enter the attic though (bad oversight). Wife really LOVES the house, neighborhood, and layout. For my part, I thought the house seemed solid, we definitely need to move out of our current rental by June end and moving twice (to another rental then a home) with 2 toddlers is the last option.

I do have experience fixing basement water in the past and expect all houses to have some problems. It is just the range (water moving down!) and potential expense that I am trying to keep in mind.

Thanks.

Normchad
Posts: 671
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 am

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by Normchad » Sat May 09, 2020 7:53 pm

I would negotiate a concession, or walk away.

To me, a roof fixed in the last week is a sign of a home owner who defers maintenance. They only fixed it to sell the house. Who knows how long that roof was leaking before they fixed it.

I would expect the inside to look good. They likely fixed and painted the ceiling as well.

So, yeah, you will probably be replacing the entire roof before too long. The question is, how much damage to the structure was done before they got around to fixing the roof?

Triple digit golfer
Posts: 5334
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sat May 09, 2020 7:55 pm

Findourway1 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:02 pm
Figured the Home inspector won't see or notice everything as they are jack of all trades. I expected to replace the roof after purchase due to the age (16+ years asphalt shingle) but the leaks made me pause a bit.

I am assuming it is fixable as I noticed no stains or water issues while visiting - did not enter the attic though (bad oversight). Wife really LOVES the house, neighborhood, and layout. For my part, I thought the house seemed solid, we definitely need to move out of our current rental by June end and moving twice (to another rental then a home) with 2 toddlers is the last option.

I do have experience fixing basement water in the past and expect all houses to have some problems. It is just the range (water moving down!) and potential expense that I am trying to keep in mind.

Thanks.
Do your diligence, get a good solid roof inspector, get the issues corrected one way or another, and get the house!

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11033
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by Sandtrap » Sat May 09, 2020 7:58 pm

Findourway1 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:02 pm
Figured the Home inspector won't see or notice everything as they are jack of all trades. I expected to replace the roof after purchase due to the age (16+ years asphalt shingle) but the leaks made me pause a bit.

I am assuming it is fixable as I noticed no stains or water issues while visiting - did not enter the attic though (bad oversight). Wife really LOVES the house, neighborhood, and layout. For my part, I thought the house seemed solid, we definitely need to move out of our current rental by June end and moving twice (to another rental then a home) with 2 toddlers is the last option.

I do have experience fixing basement water in the past and expect all houses to have some problems. It is just the range (water moving down!) and potential expense that I am trying to keep in mind.

Thanks.
It will be worth the small effort to have several licensed roofing contractors look at the roof.
Why?
This my require more than just a "reroof" of the shingles.
Since you mention visible dips in the roof, there may be damage to the underlayment OSB or Plywood sheeting and also possible long term water damage to the roof trusses. This will add to your reroofing costs.

This must be inspected from the attic.

Home inspector as "jack of all trades" can often be "marginal".
Prior repairs by a "handyman", equally marginal.

Just call a roofing contractor, make an appointment. Say, I'm buying this house and it needs a roof. Can you tell me what needs to be done and how much it will cost. An estimator from a reputable licensed roofing contractor will be the "best eyes" you can get.

Eyes open.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Triple digit golfer
Posts: 5334
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sat May 09, 2020 8:04 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:58 pm
Findourway1 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:02 pm
Figured the Home inspector won't see or notice everything as they are jack of all trades. I expected to replace the roof after purchase due to the age (16+ years asphalt shingle) but the leaks made me pause a bit.

I am assuming it is fixable as I noticed no stains or water issues while visiting - did not enter the attic though (bad oversight). Wife really LOVES the house, neighborhood, and layout. For my part, I thought the house seemed solid, we definitely need to move out of our current rental by June end and moving twice (to another rental then a home) with 2 toddlers is the last option.

I do have experience fixing basement water in the past and expect all houses to have some problems. It is just the range (water moving down!) and potential expense that I am trying to keep in mind.

Thanks.
It will be worth the small effort to have several licensed roofing contractors look at the roof.
Why?
This my require more than just a "reroof" of the shingles.
Since you mention visible dips in the roof, there may be damage to the underlayment OSB or Plywood sheeting and also possible long term water damage to the roof trusses. This will add to your reroofing costs.

This must be inspected from the attic.

Home inspector as "jack of all trades" can often be "marginal".
Prior repairs by a "handyman", equally marginal.

Just call a roofing contractor, make an appointment. Say, I'm buying this house and it needs a roof. Can you tell me what needs to be done and how much it will cost. An estimator from a reputable licensed roofing contractor will be the "best eyes" you can get.

Eyes open.
j :happy
Also excellent advice.

HomeStretch
Posts: 4666
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by HomeStretch » Sat May 09, 2020 8:09 pm

+1 to Sandtrap’s post

Our home’s previous owner had a handyman patch the asphalt shingles with tar in spots. Based on a roof inspection and age, we planned to replace the roof when we moved in. Turned out to be significantly more than we budgeted due to all the plywood underlayment that needed to be replaced.

The failed windows seals are concerning. Window replacement is expensive. Get a price on that too.

Based on the neglect, I’d take a close look at all the mechanicals.

Factor in the worst case roof and window replacement. If you can’t get the house for a good price that takes those replacements into account, I would pass on the house.

Topic Author
Findourway1
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:18 am

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by Findourway1 » Sat May 09, 2020 8:33 pm

Excellent advice as another poster stated! Have reached out to a roofing company person come out - hopefully within the next few days given the limited time to negotiate or walk away.

Thank you!
Sandtrap wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:58 pm
Findourway1 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:02 pm
Figured the Home inspector won't see or notice everything as they are jack of all trades. I expected to replace the roof after purchase due to the age (16+ years asphalt shingle) but the leaks made me pause a bit.

I am assuming it is fixable as I noticed no stains or water issues while visiting - did not enter the attic though (bad oversight). Wife really LOVES the house, neighborhood, and layout. For my part, I thought the house seemed solid, we definitely need to move out of our current rental by June end and moving twice (to another rental then a home) with 2 toddlers is the last option.

I do have experience fixing basement water in the past and expect all houses to have some problems. It is just the range (water moving down!) and potential expense that I am trying to keep in mind.

Thanks.
It will be worth the small effort to have several licensed roofing contractors look at the roof.
Why?
This my require more than just a "reroof" of the shingles.
Since you mention visible dips in the roof, there may be damage to the underlayment OSB or Plywood sheeting and also possible long term water damage to the roof trusses. This will add to your reroofing costs.

This must be inspected from the attic.

Home inspector as "jack of all trades" can often be "marginal".
Prior repairs by a "handyman", equally marginal.

Just call a roofing contractor, make an appointment. Say, I'm buying this house and it needs a roof. Can you tell me what needs to be done and how much it will cost. An estimator from a reputable licensed roofing contractor will be the "best eyes" you can get.

Eyes open.
j :happy

Topic Author
Findourway1
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:18 am

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by Findourway1 » Sat May 09, 2020 8:48 pm

Below is my checklist to get to this stage (if others want to use it for their own hunt):

- HVAC (~2 month old)
- ~10 yr old water heater
- No Washer/Dryer so we will buy and install
- Good floors on main upper levels (having personally done some in the past)
- Bathrooms flooring are even and clean
- Sump pump - bone dry in a carpeted basement (plan to replace carpet in basement myself later)
- No below grade windows
- Slope is downward from home to direct water
- Placement of gutters - they failed a bit here since a couple of gutters with extenders are too close to the house but that is fixable
- Windows I already have a rough estimate based on past experience and contacts (budgeting ~7k - 11k range for now)
- Roof - major worry and unknown costs until I get the inspection

When you say significantly more than expected - did it overrun by 50% or more? Google says roof replacement ranges from 6k - 13k depending on many factors. I am adding in more repairs just to be safe.

Thanks.
HomeStretch wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:09 pm
+1 to Sandtrap’s post

Our home’s previous owner had a handyman patch the asphalt shingles with tar in spots. Based on a roof inspection and age, we planned to replace the roof when we moved in. Turned out to be significantly more than we budgeted due to all the plywood underlayment that needed to be replaced.

The failed windows seals are concerning. Window replacement is expensive. Get a price on that too.

Based on the neglect, I’d take a close look at all the mechanicals.

Factor in the worst case roof and window replacement. If you can’t get the house for a good price that takes those replacements into account, I would pass on the house.

Mr. Rumples
Posts: 902
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:16 am

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sat May 09, 2020 9:01 pm

I'd have a roofer inspect it and if it is possible have an escrow account set up for roofing repairs; if no repairs are needed after a year, the money goes to the seller. Or a concession in price as noted above. Fresh paint may hide drywall damage from a leak. Inspect the roof from the attic, check the soffit and fascia boards to see if they are good.

I bought a flipped house four years ago. The inspector said the roof looked fine. A few months after purchasing it, I had a leak, then another, then another. About 2 months ago, I had yet another leak. It was time for new roof; I had budgeted for it, it was just a few years ahead of schedule. When the roof came off, it was obvious it wasn't put on right, not the right spacing of shingles and in one place there wasn't even any decking! They ended up replacing almost all of the boards around the eaves in addition to other boards that were bad. There were no soffit vents (standard at that time) so I had them installed.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Sat May 09, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HomeStretch
Posts: 4666
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by HomeStretch » Sat May 09, 2020 9:14 pm

Findourway1 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:48 pm
When you say significantly more than expected - did it overrun by 50% or more? Google says roof replacement ranges from 6k - 13k depending on many factors. I am adding in more repairs just to be safe.
The additional roof cost was ~50% as about 1/3 of the plywood needed to be replaced plus we added ridge/soffit vents (there were none), ice barrier and most of the flashing needed to be replaced/added. Plus we hadn’t budgeted for new gutters (you’ve accounted for that), new attic fan (not working) and we had to add chimney caps (there were none).

Triple digit golfer
Posts: 5334
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sat May 09, 2020 9:50 pm

The 4x8 foot sheathing boards run about $40-50 per board installed from my experience. A roofer will put in a quote $X per board but they wont be able to tell you how many you need until they get the shingles off. Most of the time it's none, but if this roof was not done correctly, who knows?

Normchad
Posts: 671
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 am

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by Normchad » Sat May 09, 2020 10:11 pm

FWIW, I just had my roof replaced in northern Virginia last year. It's. large roof, but not massive.

Complete tear-off and reshingle with 25 year architectural shingles was $23K. There was no rotted wood, etc.

The price is eye-popping to me. My insurance company paid for it, so it doesn't affect me. But it must be reasonable for the area, or they would not have agreed to it.

Triple digit golfer
Posts: 5334
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sat May 09, 2020 10:21 pm

Wow. My three quotes were all around $7k two years ago in the Chicago suburbs and that's what I paid. 2k square foot 2 story house with simple roof. Two peaks.

inverter
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by inverter » Sat May 09, 2020 11:31 pm

Normchad wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:11 pm
FWIW, I just had my roof replaced in northern Virginia last year. It's. large roof, but not massive.

Complete tear-off and reshingle with 25 year architectural shingles was $23K. There was no rotted wood, etc.

The price is eye-popping to me. My insurance company paid for it, so it doesn't affect me. But it must be reasonable for the area, or they would not have agreed to it.
This is my experience as well. Fairly complex roof (I guess?) on a 4500 sq foot house with high quality 25 year shingle was $25k. Would love to have spent a fraction of that!

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 19763
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by Watty » Sat May 09, 2020 11:36 pm

Findourway1 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:41 pm
The repairs were made by a handyman company that claims experience with minor roof repairs.
Likely translation, "He had a roofing company look at it and they said it was not fixable or very expensive to fix right so he had his buddy patch it instead."

This was only a week ago too so unless there has been a hard rain it will be hard to tell if it even worked or not. Roof leaks can be tricky to find there is a good chance that it did not fix the leak. Your inspector will likely not be able to tell the difference between old and new water damage.
Findourway1 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:41 pm
We knew about the windows and roof being older......

However, one area of the roof appears to have pronounced gap or sag like a small pothole...
It is an older roof that is already leaking and has problems that are visible from the ground by someone who know little about roofs.

There is little need for roof inspection, you need to find out how much it will cost to replace. An inspection will just tell you if the roof needs to be replaced immediately or if you might get a year out of it if you are lucky. (This assumes that is asphalt shingles, something like a tile or metal roof might be more fixable. Wood shake or shingles are a lot trickier and potentially a lot more expensive.)

There is nothing inherently wrong with buying a house that will need a new roof and I have done it but it needs to be priced into the house. The house I bought had an older roof and was priced accordingly so when the inspection determined that a new roof was needed we agreed that it should have had 5 years left and a 25 year life expectancy so the seller easily agree to pay 20% of the cost of a new roof. The rest was rolled into the mortgage. You should not expect the entire cost of the roof if the house was otherwise priced correctly for a house with an obviously older roof.

The water damage from the leak is another big issue that will need to be addressed but it makes little sense to fix that until the roof is replaced.

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 19763
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by Watty » Sat May 09, 2020 11:57 pm

Findourway1 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:48 pm
- Windows I already have a rough estimate based on past experience and contacts (budgeting ~7k - 11k range for now)
That sounds really low if it is for all the windows in the house, even for mid range windows, if it is not a very small house.

It would be good to verify that.

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Moderator
Posts: 8363
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun May 10, 2020 5:34 am

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

User avatar
jabberwockOG
Posts: 2150
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun May 10, 2020 11:51 am

Patch work roof repairs are not acceptable. Get a quote for new roof from local good reputation roofer. Present it with the offer. On a 2500 sq ft house a new good quality roof along with even minor decking repairs can easily cost $20-25k in my area. Don't assume someone else's expensive deferred maintenance. Deduct $20k minimum just for a new roof (adjusted for house size) from your bid for the house.

carolinaman
Posts: 4188
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by carolinaman » Sun May 10, 2020 12:03 pm

I would be concerned that the leak may not yet be fixed. However, roof leaks are easily fixed by competent roofers. A greater concern is there might be some structural damage beyond the cosmetic issues. For example, is the framing ok? This requires an inspection by a really good inspector or a really good carpenter.

illumination
Posts: 672
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by illumination » Sun May 10, 2020 1:33 pm

I'd go in with the idea you need a new roof and make your offer accordingly. In my limited experience, usually minor roof repairs are just kicking the can for a short amount of time. I know someone that walked on a property that the owner and agent swore up and down had no leaks and got in their with an inspection and it needed $50k in roof work. The next owner ended up putting on a whole new roof.

MarkerFM
Posts: 324
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:18 pm

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by MarkerFM » Sun May 10, 2020 1:40 pm

Findourway1 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:48 pm
Below is my checklist to get to this stage (if others want to use it for their own hunt):

- HVAC (~2 month old)
- ~10 yr old water heater
- No Washer/Dryer so we will buy and install
- Good floors on main upper levels (having personally done some in the past)
- Bathrooms flooring are even and clean
- Sump pump - bone dry in a carpeted basement (plan to replace carpet in basement myself later)
- No below grade windows
- Slope is downward from home to direct water
- Placement of gutters - they failed a bit here since a couple of gutters with extenders are too close to the house but that is fixable
- Windows I already have a rough estimate based on past experience and contacts (budgeting ~7k - 11k range for now)
- Roof - major worry and unknown costs until I get the inspection

When you say significantly more than expected - did it overrun by 50% or more? Google says roof replacement ranges from 6k - 13k depending on many factors. I am adding in more repairs just to be safe.

Thanks.
HomeStretch wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:09 pm
+1 to Sandtrap’s post

Our home’s previous owner had a handyman patch the asphalt shingles with tar in spots. Based on a roof inspection and age, we planned to replace the roof when we moved in. Turned out to be significantly more than we budgeted due to all the plywood underlayment that needed to be replaced.

The failed windows seals are concerning. Window replacement is expensive. Get a price on that too.

Based on the neglect, I’d take a close look at all the mechanicals.

Factor in the worst case roof and window replacement. If you can’t get the house for a good price that takes those replacements into account, I would pass on the house.
I hate to add to your worries, but given the history of the seller I would also check out the new HVAC system. Is it properly sized for the house? Did they go the cheapest route possible?

We spend the winter in Florida. One of our neighbors has their place on the market and the HVAC failed. Instead of putting in two stage or variable speed systems (two systems in the place), which are more comfortable and also better at removing the humidity that is a constant problem, they went the cheap route and put in single speed systems. The listing will say "new HVAC" but it won't be what should have been done. And this is a property priced at more than $2 million.

When we bought our place a number of years ago, the seller had also put in new HVAC systems among many other improvements and upgrades. They went with top of the line variable speed units. They were first class people to deal with through the entire process BTW.

User avatar
LilyFleur
Posts: 1271
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by LilyFleur » Sun May 10, 2020 4:46 pm

Normchad wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:53 pm
I would negotiate a concession, or walk away.

To me, a roof fixed in the last week is a sign of a home owner who defers maintenance. They only fixed it to sell the house. Who knows how long that roof was leaking before they fixed it.

I would expect the inside to look good. They likely fixed and painted the ceiling as well.

So, yeah, you will probably be replacing the entire roof before too long. The question is, how much damage to the structure was done before they got around to fixing the roof?
And is there mold where you and your inspector cannot see it?

inbox788
Posts: 7122
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by inbox788 » Sun May 10, 2020 5:38 pm

Findourway1 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:02 pm

I am assuming it is fixable as I noticed no stains or water issues while visiting - did not enter the attic though (bad oversight). Wife really LOVES the house, neighborhood, and layout. For my part, I thought the house seemed solid, we definitely need to move out of our current rental by June end and moving twice (to another rental then a home) with 2 toddlers is the last option.

I do have experience fixing basement water in the past and expect all houses to have some problems. It is just the range (water moving down!) and potential expense that I am trying to keep in mind.
Problems:

1) roof - more trouble than it looks
2) other problems
3) wife loves house
4) rental ends in June
5) housing market about to crash or correct (you should ignore my opinion, but listen to the pros)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 026595001/

IMO, best move would be to walk away and wait for a better deal. Next best would be to renegotiate a better price as well as fix the roof and include a 10 year guarantee or get a roof replacement with a long warranty. I'm guessing in most housing markets the buyer currently has the upper hand against desperate sellers. Use your advantage so you don't have lingering problems like the roof.

Topic Author
Findourway1
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:18 am

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by Findourway1 » Mon May 11, 2020 6:27 am

That is funny - one of the problems is - "Wife loves house" :)

During the home inspection confirmed that the roof pothole/gap is due to cracks on the underside of the roof decking plywood. All decking is original and insulation underneath is dry. No sign of mold anywhere. However, any leak would have slid down the slope into the eaves or walls even though they appear to be dry currently. Now waiting for seller permission to have a roofer enter the attic and provide an estimate. Inspector thinks roof would last for 10 years more but then he is not a roofer.

Inspector did confirm that many window seals are leaky and they painted over rotted wood frames in several areas. Rot most likely due to poorly sealed seams. This along with some bumps in the aluminum siding from wind or branches hitting are the biggest issues in the exterior.

Good info about HVAC - I will review the inspection report to see the type and suitability for house size. It is a Heat pump system and the thermostat does not show the emergency or auxiliary setting - so would need to change that as well.

Thanks!
inbox788 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:38 pm
Findourway1 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:02 pm

I am assuming it is fixable as I noticed no stains or water issues while visiting - did not enter the attic though (bad oversight). Wife really LOVES the house, neighborhood, and layout. For my part, I thought the house seemed solid, we definitely need to move out of our current rental by June end and moving twice (to another rental then a home) with 2 toddlers is the last option.

I do have experience fixing basement water in the past and expect all houses to have some problems. It is just the range (water moving down!) and potential expense that I am trying to keep in mind.
Problems:

1) roof - more trouble than it looks
2) other problems
3) wife loves house
4) rental ends in June
5) housing market about to crash or correct (you should ignore my opinion, but listen to the pros)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 026595001/

IMO, best move would be to walk away and wait for a better deal. Next best would be to renegotiate a better price as well as fix the roof and include a 10 year guarantee or get a roof replacement with a long warranty. I'm guessing in most housing markets the buyer currently has the upper hand against desperate sellers. Use your advantage so you don't have lingering problems like the roof.

daheld
Posts: 916
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:14 am
Location: Midwest US

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by daheld » Mon May 11, 2020 7:21 am

Based on your most recent post, if you cannot buy the place at a steep discount, I'd walk. It sounds like it needs real work (roof, windows, etc.) and hasn't been well maintained. All that is probably fine, again, if you can buy it way cheap, fix what's wrong and come out ahead. If you're not basically certain of this, I would pass.

ponyboy
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:39 am

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by ponyboy » Mon May 11, 2020 7:36 am

A leaky roof isnt difficult to fix. Probably an issue with flashing...people always screw that up.

Mr. Rumples
Posts: 902
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:16 am

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by Mr. Rumples » Mon May 11, 2020 12:46 pm

One additional thought to keep in the back of your mind. If you think you might need a new roof and new attic insulation, do the roof first. I was all prepared to redo the attic insulation and then had a leak which led me to get a new roof. Little did I know beforehand, how much dirt and debris would fall through the decking to the attic. Had it been new insulation, I would have been upset. Talking with others, this is not unusual. Fortunately, my roofer advised me to cover the HVAC in the attic even though it is a sealed unit.

Topic Author
Findourway1
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:18 am

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by Findourway1 » Mon May 11, 2020 2:31 pm

Thanks for all the responses.

We contacted roofers and only one would do an inspection for ~$300. Rest would follow home inspection report.

We also are waiting for radon test results - apparently it was higher than 4 (which is the safe maximum). If it is actually high, best to just back out instead of waiting for more remediation from seller...

Thanks again!

rascott
Posts: 2112
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:53 am

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by rascott » Tue May 12, 2020 9:47 am

Findourway1 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:31 pm
Thanks for all the responses.

We contacted roofers and only one would do an inspection for ~$300. Rest would follow home inspection report.

We also are waiting for radon test results - apparently it was higher than 4 (which is the safe maximum). If it is actually high, best to just back out instead of waiting for more remediation from seller...

Thanks again!

Radon is a joke. JMHO.

As to the things you've mentioned.... roof, windows, e.t.c.... just budget them out and compare purchase price + repairs for this home to other homes in perfect condition.

Sounds like this is an older home/ neighborhood. Things you've mentioned aren't that uncommon. If not something you want to deal with than 1) pay premium price for a totally upgraded older home. 2) buy new(er) home elsewhere.


I've put three roofs on rental homes in last few years. 2 were old homes (70+ years old.) Costs were in the $6-8k range for each of them. Decking repairs were needed on each of them. This cost about $50/ plywood sheet.

Roofing cost is quoted per square (100sq ft of roof). My guy charged $200/sq for tear off and reinstall architectural shingles. Pls some misc fees (dumpster, vents, e.t.c).

Triple digit golfer
Posts: 5334
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by Triple digit golfer » Wed May 13, 2020 1:14 pm

Findourway1 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:31 pm
Thanks for all the responses.

We contacted roofers and only one would do an inspection for ~$300. Rest would follow home inspection report.

We also are waiting for radon test results - apparently it was higher than 4 (which is the safe maximum). If it is actually high, best to just back out instead of waiting for more remediation from seller...

Thanks again!
Our house tested at 2.2 for radon in our family room (slab) and 7.7 in the basement.

That was four years ago and we haven't done anything about it. We spend minimal time in the basement, using it for storage and for me to work out in which amounts to a couple hours a week down there. It's where I do my heaviest breathing, however...so maybe I should be concerned. I don't know.

According to the EPA, for non-smokers, being exposed over an entire lifetime to a level of 8 equates to 15 out of 1,000 people getting lung cancer. The risk is 4x that of dying in a fall, but again, this is being exposed to those levels over a lifetime.

https://www.epa.gov/radon/health-risk-radon

Topic Author
Findourway1
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:18 am

Re: Advice on buying a house with leaky roof (fixed ~1 week ago)

Post by Findourway1 » Sun May 17, 2020 9:47 pm

That is a good baseline to keep in mind about repairing plywood sheets. When estimating specialized repairs I normally triple the cost of a material to calculate labor and make that the maximum possible cost I want to pay. So to repair two plywood sheets/sheathing - it would cost approximately 400$ total including the materials. Correct?

A home in perfect condition is beyond our price range in this area. New washer/dryer hook ups in 2nd floor, new washer/dryer, windows + frames, and roof repairs come to a maximum of ~20k. That is still cheaper than a "perfect" home which is not available now.

rascott wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:47 am
Findourway1 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:31 pm
Thanks for all the responses.

We contacted roofers and only one would do an inspection for ~$300. Rest would follow home inspection report.

We also are waiting for radon test results - apparently it was higher than 4 (which is the safe maximum). If it is actually high, best to just back out instead of waiting for more remediation from seller...

Thanks again!

Radon is a joke. JMHO.

As to the things you've mentioned.... roof, windows, e.t.c.... just budget them out and compare purchase price + repairs for this home to other homes in perfect condition.

Sounds like this is an older home/ neighborhood. Things you've mentioned aren't that uncommon. If not something you want to deal with than 1) pay premium price for a totally upgraded older home. 2) buy new(er) home elsewhere.


I've put three roofs on rental homes in last few years. 2 were old homes (70+ years old.) Costs were in the $6-8k range for each of them. Decking repairs were needed on each of them. This cost about $50/ plywood sheet.

Roofing cost is quoted per square (100sq ft of roof). My guy charged $200/sq for tear off and reinstall architectural shingles. Pls some misc fees (dumpster, vents, e.t.c).

Post Reply