Is it worth buying an infant car seat for each car.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
1130Super

Is it worth buying an infant car seat for each car.

Post by 1130Super »

I gave up on moving car seats about twice a week and now have one for each car. Is it worth your time moving car seats back and forth for infants or do you keep a one in each car. Cost of a car seat we bought was $190. Fiancé thought it was a little ridiculous to buy another one instead of transferring from car to car twice a week.
runner3081

Re: Is it worth buying an infant car seat for each car.

Post by runner3081 »

The only thing that I think is crazy is how much you paid for the car seat. You can get fairly highly rated seats for significantly less.

Prior to the current booster seat, we always did have one car seat in each car. One bonus was when relatives would take our daughter, even if the car seat didn't come back right away, we always had an extra one.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

1130Super wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:15 pm I gave up on moving car seats about twice a week and now have one for each car. Is it worth your time moving car seats back and forth for infants or do you keep a one in each car. Cost of a car seat we bought was $190. Fiancé thought it was a little ridiculous to buy another one instead of transferring from car to car twice a week.
depending on the type of car seat. small child - just buy another base. and the actually car seat can clip in and out of each car. reason being those car seats are too expensive to buy another one- but the base runs ~50-60 bucks or so (guesstimates - our kids are older now)

for the "high back booster seats" - we bought a pair for each car. high back booster seats are about $35 or so
Last edited by helloeveryone on Fri May 08, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watty

Post by Watty »

A simpler solution for an infant is to get the type of car seat where the top part comes off and you can carry the baby in it to go in the store or where ever you are going. It clicks and locks into the base that is secured in the car. This also means that you are less likely to wake up a sleeping baby when you are getting them in or out of the car.

You can then buy a second base to keep in the second car and they sell those separately. We have a base in the car that will hold our young grandkid. You would need to look it up but these might work the kid is about two(???).
rob

Post by rob »

Buy another.... They are fiddly to get installed correctly (most people don't) and swapping a few times a week will just be annoying for a small cost. At some point you will have the wrong car at the wrong time.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Definitely have one in each car. Don't move them around. The installations should be checked by a professional and rechecked/replaced as the child grows. Most states have certified persons who do this for free. Don't buy "fairly high rated" or used child car seats. And check for recalls. Assume that there will be a crash and prepare accordingly.
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Swapping stinks. Each car gets its own set of seats. Not to mention if you mess up the install once with all your swapping it can literally have deadly consequences. This is not something you want to be frugal about.

For infants you can get multiple bases and the one carrier that clicks in all of them. As they get older you move to the bigger multi stage seats that can be reversed.
Last edited by JonnyDVM on Fri May 08, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
greg24

Post by greg24 »

Another vote that moving them reduces the surety of the installation.

A lot of people incur a lot of hassle to avoid buying one more car seat.
jw2s

Post by jw2s »

Yes.

I would/did buy another seat entirely. This way, you’re always covered.

Somehow, someway, and for some unforseen reason, you will need the seat in your car that day....but it’s in the other car.

A couple times a week? No brainer.

Getting kids into the car, let alone playing musical seats prior to, is difficult enough.

I have no shame heading the Dept. of Redundancy Dept.
magicrat

Post by magicrat »

Most, people f not all, infant car seats can be secured using seatbelts, without a base.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

If you can afford it, yes. We have four toddler seats across two cars for two kids. Wouldn't have it another way. When we had infants we had multiple "bases" installed and moved the carrier piece from car to car.

As for the $190, that's perfectly reasonable. There are safe seats for less, and fancy seats for a TON more.
motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool »

magicrat wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:49 pm Most, people f not all, infant car seats can be secured using seatbelts, without a base.
I took a vacation without our infant seat base and quickly regretted it. The difference between “pop and it’s in” and having to hunch over, buckle the belt, run it through the hooks, then when everything is aligned correctly activate the ratchet on the seat belt and cinch it tight is not insignificant. On all subsequent plane trips with infants, we brought the base.

One pro tip: get a Cosco Scenera Next from Wally World as the seat in the lesser used car. It is light, affordable, and FAA approved for use in aircraft. Put your little one rear facing in the plane and everyone will be amazed at what a good flyer s/he is.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
JasonA1987

Post by JasonA1987 »

$190 is perfectly reasonable for a convertible car seat that will last a bunch of years. We have Graco 4in1’s for our girls. I will disagree with everyone that it’s unsafe to move them...with the Latch System, it’s far from rocket science. It’s just a bit of an annoyance, albeit a 5 minute annoyance. I move them once every week or two to facilitate car care. Whoever has the kids, has the seats and the car they are in. It’s my week for the minivan while the wife has the truck. We even have two brand new ones sitting in boxes for foster kids and we still don’t have seats in both cars.

Either buy another or leave them in a car and trade cars.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Tell your Fiancé, now that you have two car seats you will need another baby...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

No, I would not.

Yes, we have 6 car seats. 3 for each car. We're the benefit of having older siblings with kids who've outgrown their car seats. We also have 2 bases for the infant carrier. There's only one reason to have more than 1 baby carrier and that's if you have more than 1 baby.

Also keep in mind older car seats expire, rather quickly. Yes, I was shocked car seats expired as well. We bought MiFold car seats that are great for travel as our supply of free car seats dried up and the older ones expired. The kids hate these but they only used when traveling and on the back up family car.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

Yes. Yes. Yes.

When my kids were infants we had the carrier style removable seat with a base for each car. Then, we decided to be frugal and have one set of seats. This led to swapping out seats all the time.

Then I realized I was an adult who saves a high percentage of her income and could afford $90 for two booster seats. Younger kiddo uses the car seats. Older kiddo uses the booster.s And I never have to get that #$& Graco out of the car again.
Topic Author
1130Super

Post by 1130Super »

SimonJester wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:15 pm Tell your Fiancé, now that you have two car seats you will need another baby...
On the way!!! And I will be getting 2 more seats
worthit

Post by worthit »

Yes. Moving infant car seats from one car to another is a hassle in my view and not safe. We had our infant car seats installed by a certified professional at the local fire station as suggested by our health care provider. It was worth the time and the effort as she schooled us about the dos and don'ts which were very informative and useful for us. Especially a lot of safety hazard tips that we weren't aware off and had not considered. I would vote for buying a 2nd infant car seat.
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

All infant seats in the US pass the same safety standards and there is very little marginal difference among brands. However most of the protection they provide is due to two factors: proper installation and consistency of use. Given that installation is far more important than the seat itself, it is most likely significantly safer to own two cheap seats than one expensive one.
jjface

Post by jjface »

Britax click tight - makes switching so much easier.

Britax are fairly bulky and expensive though but I think they are worth it.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

1130Super wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:46 pm
SimonJester wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:15 pm Tell your Fiancé, now that you have two car seats you will need another baby...
On the way!!! And I will be getting 2 more seats
Hmm time for a minivan, then put all seats in the van and trade vehicles when necessary...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

1130Super wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:15 pm I gave up on moving car seats about twice a week and now have one for each car. Is it worth your time moving car seats back and forth for infants or do you keep a one in each car. Cost of a car seat we bought was $190. Fiancé thought it was a little ridiculous to buy another one instead of transferring from car to car twice a week.
I recall these days! Yes we bought one for each car. Too many times forgetting to move and a pain! We simply passed down to relatives.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Saluki31

Post by Saluki31 »

When our kids were babies, we had an infant car seat that attached to a base. We had a base for each car. Easy.

When they outgrew that and moved to a larger car seat (one that had to be installed directly, no base), we had one in each car. These are a pain to install. I can't imagine having one seat and moving it around frequently between vehicles.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Saluki31 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:41 am When our kids were babies, we had an infant car seat that attached to a base. We had a base for each car. Easy.

When they outgrew that and moved to a larger car seat (one that had to be installed directly, no base), we had one in each car. These are a pain to install. I can't imagine having one seat and moving it around frequently between vehicles.
This is what we did. Very convenient and worked out great.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

We have duplicates in each vehicle. It's as much for logistics as it is for convenience.
c1over8

Post by c1over8 »

Definitely worth it to have two per car, especially so if your needs mean you would have to move it twice per week.

Do you have a garage where you will be installing the car seat? If not, you might be swapping the car seat while standing outside in poor weather.

Are you both the type of people that are always early everywhere and therefore wasting however much time it takes to install the car seat properly won't be a nuisance or result in you being late.

Will you both be home every time it needs to be installed? If not, do you have a plan for keeping the child safe and reasonably content while you install the car seat?

There may be an emergency situation where the parent without the car seat needs to pick up the child (sick child, parent with car seat gets in an accident, etc.) and if the child goes to day care, many charge fines by the minute for late pick up.

Hopefully you won't have an accident, but if someone does have a car accident with the car seat installed, it will almost certainly have to be discarded and replaced so having a spare means you don't have to run out and buy whatever is available locally just so you have something for the next day. A drunk driver hit an unoccupied car parked in a drive way with one of our car seats installed and based on the impact/damage the manufacturer's guidance said it needed to be replaced.

You run the risk that the person who won't be transporting the child leaves with the car seat still in their car and the other parent therefore has no way to transport the child.

And +1 to everyone that said most people don't install their car seats properly and moving it constantly increases the risk that it won't be properly installed.

Either buy two car seats or plan to swap cars, but its worth it to have two. And consider making the cosco car seat that everyone recommends for air travel your second car seat if you think you might ever take the child on a plane.
AnonLady

Post by AnonLady »

I helped my friend put her car seat together from the box, but she had the fire department install it to make sure it was safe. Maybe she's just neurotic, I don't know, but I'd take a fire person installing my baby's car seat in a more permanent way than me moving it around all the time. It's cheap compared to the risk, especially if you are both going to be driving the baby around.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

I see no reason not to pile on: hell yes. We have 2 for each car. We also bought for grandma's car. That's 6 seats for 2 kids. What exactly would you do with the children while you're moving and installing the seats? Million times worth it.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

mega317 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:34 pm I see no reason not to pile on: hell yes. We have 2 for each car. We also bought for grandma's car. That's 6 seats for 2 kids. What exactly would you do with the children while you're moving and installing the seats? Million times worth it.
There's a big difference between infant seats with a base and convertible seats for older kids without a base.

For the former, the seat snaps in and out of the base in a minute, without having to unstrap your child. It's way easier than having two seats.

For the latter, agree that two seats are the way to go.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

In one word: YES
Carter3

Post by Carter3 »

Watty wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:28 pm A simpler solution for an infant is to get the type of car seat where the top part comes off and you can carry the baby in it to go in the store or where ever you are going. It clicks and locks into the base that is secured in the car. This also means that you are less likely to wake up a sleeping baby when you are getting them in or out of the car.

You can then buy a second base to keep in the second car and they sell those separately. We have a base in the car that will hold our young grandkid. You would need to look it up but these might work the kid is about two(???).
^^+1. Then as they age out of the infant seat you buy car seat for each car.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

To install them properly it can be a PAIN. Frequently moving car seat increases the likelihood of it being installed incorrectly.
I would vote for having one in each car.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Two bases, one seat, one kid. Don't overthink this.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

It has been many years since those days but absolutely buy a second car seat. Putting in a car seat was always a beat down, especially in a hot car in the summer. Also, it is safer to get the seat in there, safe and secure, and then don't mess with it. The more you take it in and out the more likely it isn't secured safely. Getting the seat belt tight enough that there wasn't any play in the chair took a great deal of effort and some strength ( and patience). No offense to my DW, I found that she did not usually secure it as well as I did.
index2max

Post by index2max »

jjface wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:58 am Britax click tight - makes switching so much easier.

Britax are fairly bulky and expensive though but I think they are worth it.
I'm glad you brought up Britax. Found out about their company after doing research on where to find Made-In-USA car seats.

They had a lot of options. I still have no idea what's the difference between all the options available to purchase on their website. :?

If I am cheap, is it possible to buy just one car seat and a "base" for each car my family owns?

I had never heard about car seat "bases" before until I stumbled on this thread. Really useful to read everyone's comments like going to the local fire station to be shown how to install a car seat properly!
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

The NHTSA has reported that over 1/2 of child car seats are installed improperly. So yes I would buy a car seat for each car. Get the car seats installed properly (some police departments will check it) and leave it alone. Plus it gives you more flexibility in case there is a last minute unexpected switch as to who is picking up the child.
barberakb

Post by barberakb »

Absolutely worth it. What we did was just bought one car seat and bought an extra base. That way we could easily just keep 1 base in each car and easily switch between cars.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

1130Super wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:15 pm Cost of a car seat we bought was $190.
Just get a second seat off Craigslist for $20-$50.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

I would say you need three. One for each car and an extra if you ride with someone else, grandparent, sitter etc.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
teen persuasion

Post by teen persuasion »

For first child had the fancy, expensive convertible seat (thank you grandma). For second child, got the infant carrier that snaps in base - much easier, and we figured by the time he grew out of the infant carrier he could graduate to sister's big seat (this was decades ago, before they extended the age to need car seats).

Then somebody stole our car. Must have been joy riding, we found it blocks away. The infant carrier was tossed in the back of the station wagon, but the big, fancy, expensive seat was gone (either stolen or ditched on a curb). We'd learned our lesson - replaced the convertible seat with a seat easier to deal with and appropriate to the child's age/size. Later replaced with a booster as rules changed and child grew.

It's easier to have a succession of different style and size seats as the child grows, than one seat trying to be everything. More comfortable for the child, easier to use and install, and there's that pesky expiration date issue - I think they are good for 5 years, but kids need some seat for at least 8 years. Multiple kids spaced close enough can use the hand-me-down seats, especially the quick jumps from infant seat to full car seat. Booster seats are especially inexpensive, so we had several extras just for the convenience.

Though I really liked the built in carseat/booster one of our minivans had. That was a nice feature when DS5 was little. You could fold it up when a regular seat was wanted.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

It's totally worth it. Nothing gets me in a worse mood then having to move carseats!

And you don't have to overspend on car seats to get a good one. For kid #1 we bought the expensive model. For kid #2, the highly rated value brand. Everyone likes the cheaper car seats better. (Lesson learned.)
h82goslw

Post by h82goslw »

atikovi wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:18 am
1130Super wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:15 pm Cost of a car seat we bought was $190.
I’m as cheap as the day is long....and I would never suggest this. You have no idea what has happened or where that car seat was on Craigslist. Seats have a finite life and if it was in an accident then it’s no good and needs to be replaced. Isn’t the kid worth at least $190?
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Here is one for $29 used once: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva ... 18375.html Check it out for damage of course.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Coming back to add that they make lightweight no frills car seats for travel. I would recommend one. We have a couple. They stack and we can just attach them to a suitcase and roll. Your back will thank you at the airport.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

h82goslw wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:08 am
atikovi wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:18 am
I’m as cheap as the day is long....and I would never suggest this. You have no idea what has happened or where that car seat was on Craigslist. Seats have a finite life and if it was in an accident then it’s no good and needs to be replaced. Isn’t the kid worth at least $190?
+1. Buy new. It is not recommended to buy used car seats (or bike helmets) as cracks, missing parts or being involved in an accident can compromise the equipment’s safety. Plus safety standards change ( look at cribs for example).
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

I didn't imply that you should buy one from 80's or 90's. Many people list them after using once for a trip or after a few months when the kid out grows it.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

Why didn’t you post this before deciding to make the purchase? Your question is no longer actionable.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

We had always just purchased an additional base for the infant carrier but had a single infant carrier. Typically, the baby was carried in the carrier out to the car, so regardless of vehicle -> the biggest portion would always travel with the baby to each respective car.

Booster seats for forward facing kids, we purchased one for each vehicle.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

atikovi wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:40 am I didn't imply that you should buy one from 80's or 90's. Many people list them after using once for a trip or after a few months when the kid out grows it.
No. Not safe. Used car seats is one of the worst ways Bogleheads suggest saving money.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212