IE, Chrome or Firefox, that is the question.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
One Ping

IE, Chrome or Firefox, that is the question.

Post by One Ping »

Updating a few things on the old 'confuser' (PC) and, at the risk of starting a war of opinions, was wondering if there was a general consensus among the cognoscenti on which browser is the best for a non-techie ... IE, Chrome, Firefox ... and why?
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."
02nz

Re: IE, Chrome or Firefox, that is the question.

Post by 02nz »

IE is definitely not the best. It's a legacy product for Microsoft, which made a new browser called Edge for Windows 10 (back in 2015). Even that has been made obsolete, with a new Edge browser that is really just a skin on top of Chrome, which is probably the all-around best browser. Firefox has its fans and if you think Google is evil, go with Firefox. But basically the browser wars are over, and Google has won.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I use them all, often at the same time. Sometimes the various private modes block some functionality I want, and it's just easier to use different browsers to maintain different identities.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

I use Firefox on the computer because I like the customization to control cookies, images, and JavaScript. I use Safari on iOS devices.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Opera
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (browser).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

One Ping wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:02 pm Updating a few things on the old 'confuser' (PC) and, at the risk of starting a war of opinions, was wondering if there was a general consensus among the cognoscenti on which browser is the best for a non-techie ... IE, Chrome, Firefox ... and why?
Chrome is the best.

It's unlikely that you'll get a consensus.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

For general use, I’d go with Chrome.
Topic Author
One Ping

Post by One Ping »

JoeRetire wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:29 pm Chrome is the best.

No doubt :sharebeer
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

Definitely not IE as mentioned, it's been deprecated by MS.

I think for most people, Chrome and Firefox won't be that different. I tend to prefer Firefox generally speaking. Chrome works slightly better with Google Docs though.
wander

Post by wander »

One Ping wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:37 pm
JoeRetire wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:29 pm Chrome is the best.

No doubt :sharebeer
No, Opera is the best for me. :D.
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Check out DuckDuckGo they do not track your searches. For better for privacy
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

For an old PC system, NetSurf is the best browser. Runs on my upgraded Windows 95. Don't know if it runs on 3.1. Great if you're coming from IE 2 or Netscape Navigator.

http://www.netsurf-browser.org/about/sc ... s/#windows

Shocking how fast it is and what it still can do in today's modern world.

Lightweight Web Browsers Part 2: Netsurf and Qupzilla
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx2u2ms ... tu.be&t=44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D1jam4YtIQ

Among your choices, IE is dead, Chrome is bloated, so give Firefox a try. Chromium Edge is ok too, but a little young, so still needs a bit of shaking down (along with Windows 10 as well).
stumpy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:07 pm Check out DuckDuckGo they do not track your searches. For better for privacy
If you want to go this route, I suggest you try Brave browser. Another great Chromium based alternative. DDG is their default search engine.

https://brave.com/
02nz

Post by 02nz »

inbox788 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:10 pm For an old PC system, NetSurf is the best browser. Runs on my upgraded Windows 95. Don't know if it runs on 3.1. Great if you're coming from IE 2 or Netscape Navigator.

http://www.netsurf-browser.org/about/sc ... s/#windows

Shocking how fast it is and what it still can do in today's modern world.

Lightweight Web Browsers Part 2: Netsurf and Qupzilla
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx2u2ms ... tu.be&t=44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D1jam4YtIQ

Among your choices, IE is dead, Chrome is bloated, so give Firefox a try. Chromium Edge is ok too, but a little young, so still needs a bit of shaking down (along with Windows 10 as well).
stumpy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:07 pm Check out DuckDuckGo they do not track your searches. For better for privacy
If you want to go this route, I suggest you try Brave browser. Another great Chromium based alternative. DDG is their default search engine.

https://brave.com/
I see, IE is dead but Windows 95 lives on!
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

Try the Brave browser.

It's based on Chrome, but it doesn't sell your data to Alphabet.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

I like to use different browsers for different purposes. I set up a login with the browser which will allows me to sync all of my bookmarks and history for that browser. Then I use Firefox at work and also when I work from home. Chrome could be associated with everything non work related.

Sure, you could just set up different accounts and keep logging-in and out, but I like the simplicity of different browsers.
MyObjectivism

Post by MyObjectivism »

I used all three and I prefer in the following order..

1. Chrome for general browsing and Google drive, ease of use and casting to TV (if you have Chromecast) makes me to use Chrome by default.
2. Firefox.. sometimes rarely for any specific purpose. Feels better control with add-ons but rarely use.
3. IE.. not at all. If there is no other browser on system then will use. Not at all used in recent times eventhough IE is in my Mac.
4. Safari.. it can be in 2nd position or 3rd position and I use it on my Mac. I use it to login to any bank related sites or security related sites in my Mac instead of Chrome which I use for everything so don't want to risk of any cookies or malware stealing info from my secure transactions.
mancich

Post by mancich »

Independent George wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:18 pm Try the Brave browser.

It's based on Chrome, but it doesn't sell your data to Alphabet.
+1 I have been using it for several months and don't miss Chrome. It is built on the Chrome engine but stops a lot of tracking in its tracks.
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

As someone who's used every iteration of Firefox from the beginning (back when it was Netscape Navigator)...

Firefox is better if you need/use special add-ons. The add-on community for it has grown over the decades and is quite diverse. The Bookmarks sidebar and management are better as well.

Chrome is better if you need synchronization of bookmarks/passwords among multiple devices. It's also what's available on many corporate intranets.

Both Firefox and Chrome are quite fast and reasonably good with memory usage now. They're both stable and secure.

Firefox is run by a non-profit. For the longest time, the largest $$$ contributor for the non-profit was Google (Google paid Firefox to be it's default search engine). I'm not sure if that's still the case. There's been no known incidence of Google exerting influence in the management of Firefox.

Safari/Internet Explorer/Edge are only to be used when they're the only one available.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I hear Chrome is the most popular, that is, most used. That means it is most likely to be best for anyone who does not have some special reason for using something else -- that's what has made it the most popular and its popularity improves its stability -- an effective feedback loop. (I think cap-weighting works in this area as well!)

Being somewhat of a techie I have often switched back and forth between Firefox and Chrome just out of curiosity. I am currently using Chrome because I have lost some of my techie-based curiosity and it just seems simpler to use. I have an ever-growing preference for simplicity. Yes, there are some things I like better about FireFox but overall I prefer Chrome. At least for now. One can't count out Microsoft's Edge in the popularity wars but they have a really bad track record with Browsers.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

Another vote for the Brave browser on the PC (I don't like the mobile version as much). The inbuilt features are great.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
midareff

Post by midareff »

I use Firefox with add-ons for Win 10 PC and use Chrome or Chrome Beta on Android devices. IE backs up Firefox on Win 10 and is very rarely used, Firefox backs up Chrome on Android.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I use MSEdge, Firefox and Safari.

So far, Edge is IMO a good browser.
For what I do, it seems fast and I like the privacy controls.
I use it the most while on my MacBookPro.

Firefox seems pretty good too, but, IMO is not quite as fast as Edge.

Safari is OK, but it does not work well with Vanguard's Bonds/CD's page; it just loads a blank page.
I spoke with a VG rep about it a while back, but he was clueless.
Rather than wasting time with it, I just use Edge if I want to see VG bonds/cd's quote page.

I use Edge on my Surface Pro 6.

All things considered, I do like Edge...not a fan of Google/Chrome...don't trust them..too nosy for me.
N.Y.Cab

Post by N.Y.Cab »

Non-techie on Windows 10 should use Edge. The latest update has Chromium under the hood so there’s no extra download and install required.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Edge or Chrome. Used to be firefox diehard but gave up on it.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Running Linux here, so IE is not an option. That being said, my "go-to" browser is Chrome. I keep Firefox around because there are some occasions when it works where Chrome won't, but those are few and far between. Firefox is not my primary browser because it's been my experience that many sites which render just fine in Chrome don't render properly in Firefox.

You might also look at the Brave browser. It's an offshoot of Chromium, and does pretty good built-in ad-blocking. It comes in handy if you have to access a site that isn't loading because some prerequisite ad or other won't load.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

As important to the question of what browser to use is what plug-ins to use. I find that surfing without an ad-blocker and an anti-tracker is much better. Pages load much faster when you aren't having to wait for your browser to get ads, update trackers, etc. I use uBlock Origin for ad blocking and Disconnect for blocking trackers.

Other plug-ins I like include:
* CamelCamelCamel - Shows price history on Amazon
* Google Dictionary - Double click on a word to see it's definition
* HTTPS everywhere - Improves security
* Personal Blocklist - Allows you to prevent selected sites from appearing in your Google search results
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:16 am Running Linux here, so IE is not an option. That being said, my "go-to" browser is Chrome. I keep Firefox around because there are some occasions when it works where Chrome won't, but those are few and far between.
Agreed and same here. I can't remember specific cases where using FF got me past a problem in Chrome, I just know it has happened more than once. There have been a number of FF and Chrome updates recently (as there always are) so I don't even know it those cases still exist.

One thing that might come up soon is support for Flash in Chrome. I think that ends sometime in 2020. One of my applications (view recorded doorbell camera videos) requires Flash. I'm pretty sure the application will need to deal with that in time to avoid rendering itself useless.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Use whatever browser you wish but when you search, use duckduckgo.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Windows 10 and a nontechnical user? Edge. It’s the most likely to work correctly and consistently on every website.

If the version of Windows is old enough that Edge doesn’t exist, then he OS needs to be updated.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Topic Author
One Ping

Post by One Ping »

Thanks, everyone!

So, what I'm hearing, generally, is NOT IE, Chrome and FireFox are both good enough and Brave could be interesting. There are others mentioned, but I think I'm more likely to stick with those with a wider user/distribution base.

Any more details or observations from those using Brave? I like the ad blocking... :happy
Topic Author
One Ping

Post by One Ping »

quantAndHold wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:27 am Windows 10 and a nontechnical user? Edge. It’s the most likely to work correctly and consistently on every website.

If the version of Windows is old enough that Edge doesn’t exist, then he OS needs to be updated.
Q&H,

The old I used in the OP was not meant to be taken literally, sorry. The computer is a 4-year old laptop running up to date Windows 10.

The old probably more appropriately refers to me! I'm not as good as I used to be on wanting to push the boundaries of modern tech developments. Did enough 'bleeding edge' work when I was getting paid for it, not interested in doing it now. :happy
I'll let others sort out the bugs and I'll ride their coatails after its ready for prime time. :sharebeer

One Ping
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

One Ping wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:37 am Thanks, everyone!

So, what I'm hearing, generally, is NOT IE, Chrome and FireFox are both good enough and Brave could be interesting. There are others mentioned, but I think I'm more likely to stick with those with a wider user/distribution base.

Any more details or observations from those using Brave? I like the ad blocking... :happy
Chrome is the most widely used. Can't go wrong with it or Firefox, or the new MS Edge. I use all three for various purposes. All of these browsers have ad-blocking plugins available.

If you're looking at blocking ads, you should also consider blocking trackers, which let companies know where you've been around the internet. Ad services use trackers to make ads follow you from site-to-site, but they can track you for other purposes even if you have an ad blocker. Firefox blocks many trackers by default. There are also plug-ins to do this. I currently use Firefox as my primary browser, with AdBlock to block ads** and Privacy Badger to block the trackers that Firefox doesn't. I also use those same plug-ins in Chrome and Edge.

**During the current covid-recession, I have turned off my ad blocker except for a few sites that serve particularly annoying ads. My hope is that a little extra ad revenue may help some businesses stay afloat during these difficult times.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

I use both.

Firefox for my regular browsing. I use an ad-blocker (uBlock Origin) and other privacy tools and never sign in to Google accounts on it.

Chrome is for my Gmail account and any sites that I have to get to that don't work in my locked down version of Firefox.
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

Don't laugh! This non-techie still uses IE to keep track of savings bonds offline.
Drovor

Post by Drovor »

Try them out and see which one you like best.

My top 3 are Brave, Chrome and recently the new MS Edge.
fwellimort

Post by fwellimort »

TL;DR: If you advocate for privacy, go Firefox. If not, go Chrome.

If you care about privacy and all, then Firefox with add-ons like containers/uBlock Origin/HTTPS Everywhere.

If you care about performance for everyday needs, without a doubt, Chrome.
The problem with other browsers is that Chrome will always have a notable advantage in Google products: gmail, youtube, google, etc.
And most people use Google for everyday needs. There were several firefox threads about this about Google intentionally throttling down speeds of Firefox and Edge on Youtube: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... refox_and/

Firefox from my experience freezes up and crashes when being used extensively (with multiple tabs on that is resource intensive). And it's choppier on video streaming sites like Twitch. And it doesn't work properly when trying to log into accounts from banks such as JP Morgan Chase. And tends to lag when trying to write a response on reddit.

"Edge" is the new IE. And with Edge, you get a worse performance than Chrome for less privacy than Firefox. It's the worst of both worlds.

I have given up Firefox a few days ago cause I just couldn't take the difference in speed. Chrome is snappy in comparison and the typing seems natural.
Most sites nowadays are optimized for Chrome. I know this cause I work in this field. Firefox is an after thought unfortunately.
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

One Ping wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:02 pm Updating a few things on the old 'confuser' (PC) and, at the risk of starting a war of opinions, was wondering if there was a general consensus among the cognoscenti on which browser is the best for a non-techie ... IE, Chrome, Firefox ... and why?
IE is end of life so definitely don’t use that.

Just flip a coin to choose between Chrome and Firefox. Use it and move on with your life.

They are both fine choices and will both work fine for a non-techie. Not worth spending much time on this decision.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

Firefox. It's extremely customizable with all the extension options.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Originally I liked Firefox better because its user interface is similar to IE. But I had to learn Chrome when I got my first Chromebook, so I use it everywhere now for consistency.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
whereskyle

Post by whereskyle »

mmcmonster wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:59 am As someone who's used every iteration of Firefox from the beginning (back when it was Netscape Navigator)...

Firefox is better if you need/use special add-ons. The add-on community for it has grown over the decades and is quite diverse. The Bookmarks sidebar and management are better as well.

Chrome is better if you need synchronization of bookmarks/passwords among multiple devices. It's also what's available on many corporate intranets.

Both Firefox and Chrome are quite fast and reasonably good with memory usage now. They're both stable and secure.

Firefox is run by a non-profit. For the longest time, the largest $$$ contributor for the non-profit was Google (Google paid Firefox to be it's default search engine). I'm not sure if that's still the case. There's been no known incidence of Google exerting influence in the management of Firefox.

Safari/Internet Explorer/Edge are only to be used when they're the only one available.
Great point regarding chrome. It makes my life easier and I can't imagine how browsing could be more efficient and convenient.
"I am better off than he is – for he knows nothing and thinks that he knows. I neither know nor think that I know." - Socrates. "Nobody knows nothing." - Jack Bogle
teen persuasion

Post by teen persuasion »

Chrome is my go-to, but DH prefers Firefox. He's been having issues WFH, with his agency email - couldn't attach files to an email. Finally realized FF was the issue, after asking a colleague what they used to successfully attach files - IE. So he has to use IE for his quirky work accounts. He didn't try Chrome.

I'd love to uninstall IE (or hide it) from the public computers at work (library), just because it doesn't play nice with the printer, and because it's IE (the default choice of less tech savvy patrons), but certain state government sites only work properly on IE. Printing real estate documents is a repeat frustration, unless IE is used. So it's a necessary evil.
smalliebigs

Post by smalliebigs »

The newest version of Edge is actually pretty decent. I mostly use Chrome out of habit, but when I do find myself using Edge, I like it.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I only use IE once, to download Chrome.....
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I used to love Firefox, but Chrome is better.

I use it on Mac and Windows, and of course my Android phone.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

I use Safari.

There are a couple websites that don't play nice and I really like the new Edge for those sites.
smalliebigs

Post by smalliebigs »

kjvmartin wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:39 pm I use Safari.

There are a couple websites that don't play nice and I really like the new Edge for those sites.
Yes. The new Edge is basically Microsoft's version of Chrome. And it shows. Pretty quick, pretty intuitive.
wxl31

Post by wxl31 »

General purpose (90+% of the time): Brave (fastest, kills most ads, kills cross-site tracking, automatically upgrades to HTTPS, all without having to install a bunch of extensions - ideal for a non-techie)

Internet purchases: Chrome incognito mode (online rebate sites often do not track properly with Brave)

When an occasional website doesn't play well with Brave: Chrome incognito mode

Google apps: Chrome regular mode (to save the hassle of logging in)

Have heard good things about the latest Firefox but have not tried it. IE has always sucked. Edge may be a newer faster Chrome-based browser, but it's still Microsoft. Until they stop constantly reinstalling garbage apps (which I had previously uninstalled) under the guise of "Windows Update" on my system - I'm not giving them a chance with any of their apps.

Second using duckduckgo for searches. A bit inferior to Google search, which I still use sometimes, but generally acceptable search results most of the time, and prevents Google from targeting ads for everything you've searched for.
Young Boglehead

Post by Young Boglehead »

I strongly suggest using Firefox because IE isn’t really even a choice anymore, not that it was ever a good one, and Chrome is designed to harvest your data. Think about how huge and wealthy google is, and have you ever paid them anything? Most don’t, and it comes through your data. So if you use Chrome plus google, google essentially knows everything you do on the internet.

Firefox is privacy oriented, doesn’t track you, is extremely fast, and using addons like ublock origin will make it even faster while making your internet a much less intrusive experience. You will see how many websites try to track you through Facebook and google and you will be amazed. Also, YouTube becomes ad free even without a premium account. I can’t recommend it enough.

Also recommend duckduckgo for the same reason. You’re not going to notice much of a difference for casual browsing, and if there’s something you want to google you can just add “!g” to your search and it will use google.
bayview

Post by bayview »

bondsr4me wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:27 am I use MSEdge, Firefox and Safari.

So far, Edge is IMO a good browser.
For what I do, it seems fast and I like the privacy controls.
I use it the most while on my MacBookPro.

Firefox seems pretty good too, but, IMO is not quite as fast as Edge.

Safari is OK, but it does not work well with Vanguard's Bonds/CD's page; it just loads a blank page.
I spoke with a VG rep about it a while back, but he was clueless
Rather than wasting time with it, I just use Edge if I want to see VG bonds/cd's quote page.

I use Edge on my Surface Pro 6.

All things considered, I do like Edge...not a fan of Google/Chrome...don't trust them..too nosy for me.
So that’s what is happening! And like you, I called Vanguard, and they didn’t know. :oops:

Just installed Firefox on my iPad, and I can now view the bonds/CDs page. Although it’s not much to see these days.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri