iPad.. worth it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BogleMelon

iPad.. worth it?

Post by BogleMelon » Thu May 07, 2020 5:07 pm

I and DW are long-time Android phone users. We were thinking we may need tablet for the first time ever for basic reading and other daily activities that would be easier on a tablet than a cellphone (We also have a Windows desktop PC and a Windows Laptop).
Apple iPad current model (32GB) is discounted on Bestbuy at $250 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ipad ... Id=5985610
The main reason we are considering iPad rather than Samsung is the quality of the company that we always hear about with so many happy users...

Questions:
1- Do you think this is a good investment (I understand it is technically not an investment by BH's definition, but you know what I mean :D )?
2- How long iPads are expected to live before they stop pushing updates, battery fail, being obsolete...etc?
3- Should I buy AppleCare ($69 for 2 years)?

ETA: 4- I just learned that a feature like multiple users is not available on iPads! Was wondering, as a workaround, can I just sign out, hand the device to DW, she signs with her email and password and customize her desktop in some way? I guess that won't work for someone reason, but not sure what would happen exactly when multiple users keep signing on and off specifically for social media apps...etc

Thanks!
Last edited by BogleMelon on Fri May 08, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

CAsage

Re: iPad.. worth it?

Post by CAsage » Thu May 07, 2020 5:11 pm

I bought a 10" ipad for reading the morning paper, doing email while on travel, and browsing the Web when it comes up... Tablets are good for that, and I use it lots, but IMO not ideal for long term reading - I way prefer a dedicated e-reader (lighter and better non-glare screen). But having a tablet or Ipad is way better than trying to do anything except short texts or actual phone calls on a phone!
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

GMT-8

Post by GMT-8 » Thu May 07, 2020 5:12 pm

I’ve bought 5 (1 every other year) and currently we have 3, as the other 2 were given away.

They’re handy! Tough and long lived, but having said that mostly we use them at home and don’t carry them around everywhere.

Only you can decide about AppleCare - if you break or lose phones I’d say yes.

Good luck.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu May 07, 2020 5:16 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:07 pm
I and DW are long-time Android phone users. We were thinking we may need tablet for the first time ever for basic reading and other daily activities that would be easier on a tablet than a cellphone (We also have a Windows desktop PC and a Windows Laptop).
Apple iPad current model (32GB) is discounted on Bestbuy at $250 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ipad ... Id=5985610
The main reason we are considering iPad rather than Samsung is the quality of the company that we always hear about with so many happy users...

Questions:
1- Do you think this is a good investment (I understand it is technically not an investment by BH's definition, but you know what I mean :D )?
2- How long iPads are expected to live before they stop pushing updates, battery fail, being obsolete...etc?

Thanks!
I love my iPad. It is my 2nd most used gadget after my phone, but in quarantine it has become my number 1 gadget.

1) If you will use it, yes. If not, no. I rarely sit and watch TV anymore. Now I sit and watch TV and browse the web on my iPad.
2) Current gen models should get updates for at least 4 years, likely longer. Battery life is very good (10+ hours screen on time on a charge) so, generally, even a diminished battery will have more than enough juice to get you through a day or two.
3) No, a basic iPad can be had on sale for $250. I would not spend 30% of the price of the unit on insurance.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu May 07, 2020 5:31 pm

1 yes
2 long time - 5 years?
3 no (based on personal experience with six or seven iPads since literally day 1)

I should perhaps also add that I am a long time Android phone user, and I am happy with my Pixel. But on the tablet side I have always found iPads to be superior to Android tablets (I have some Nexus Tablets I got at Google conferences).
Last edited by TravelGeek on Thu May 07, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drummerboy

Post by drummerboy » Thu May 07, 2020 5:36 pm

Yes. iPads are worth it.

The least expensive ones are great just as a media viewer (movies, reading, surfing the web).

The iPad Pro comes really close to a full laptop replacement. It's become my primary computer. I use a keyboard and a mouse with it when I need to really type for a long period of time.

Battery life is fantastic on all models.

TeeDee

Post by TeeDee » Thu May 07, 2020 5:43 pm

Yes. Really unmatched in the tablet world.

yangtui

Post by yangtui » Thu May 07, 2020 5:44 pm

I usually buy the cheapest generic Android tablet I can find and run the thing into the ground. Usually get a good 2 to 3 years out of it before the battery starts to go. Last one I bought several years ago cost about 100 dollars I think.

PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate » Thu May 07, 2020 5:48 pm

Love iPads. I've had several. I have just gone through a round of sending 3 older Apple devices (1 desktop, 1 laptop, and one iPad) back for credits. I will use that combined credit to buy the new 11" iPad. As someone mentioned above, I also sit with mine in the evenings surfing the internet and emailing and using various apps (crosswords, puzzle games, etc.) while watching TV. Mostly the TV is just on in the background. I also take mine on trips (pre-COVID) to watch movies on the planes.

I would not buy the AppleCare. I've had 4 or 5 iPads and never had a problem with one of them. However, if you're the type that drops your phone, then it might be worth it, I suppose. I have never bought AppleCare for any of my many, many Apple devices through the years and I have never been burned by that decision. Of course, past performance is not a guarantee of future performance. Haha.

Also as someone mentioned above, I would not recommend an iPad for reading books. I prefer my lighter Kindle for that. The book reader apps work fine on the iPad. And it functionally will work well for it. However, I just find the iPad a tad too heavy to sit down for hours to read books.
Last edited by PaunchyPirate on Thu May 07, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy » Thu May 07, 2020 5:49 pm

What's wrong with a Fire tablet? Under a 100 bucks, basically a big Android phone

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu May 07, 2020 5:51 pm

I love my iPad and it is my go to device for email, web browsing and eReading. I do have an Android phone and a Windows PC as well.

My first iPad, an iPad 2 that I bought when they first came out in 2011 lasted 6+ years. I replaced that with a first generation iPad Pro 9.7 that’s been fantastic as well and still seems brand new.

I would skip the Apple Care - they are pretty durable. I have an inexpensive wrap case - acrylic back and fold down screen protector when not in use.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Thu May 07, 2020 5:52 pm

As a consumption device (reading, emailing, web browsing, photos) the iPad is hands down the best.

Battery life is very good.

Never had a droid, so can’t say about them.

I also have a Surface Pro 6...very good when it comes to productivity....but no iPad for sure.

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu May 07, 2020 5:53 pm

My previous iPad Air lasted a bit more than 6 years before the battery failed. And I used it, on average, several hours a day for web surfing, playing games, checking e-mails, and reading e-books.

I wouldn’t/haven’t bought AppleCare.

One thing I like is syncing with my iPhone so I can get my calls/texts on the tablet. (I realize that doesn’t apply to you, but you might want to see if you can get that functionality with an Android tablet.)

I’m typing this on my new iPad Air. 😃

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Thu May 07, 2020 5:57 pm

I've been exclusively Android phones for 10 years, and exclusively a Windows PC user forever. I only use iPad tablets.

It's weird to mix ecosystems like that, but Android tablets aren't competitive like the phones are. Plus it's nice to have one device that supports FaceTime and iCloud Photo Sharing so you can connect with friends and family that use them.

Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu May 07, 2020 6:07 pm

MBB_Boy wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:49 pm
What's wrong with a Fire tablet? Under a 100 bucks, basically a big Android phone
With so many Amazon bloatware, and limited android apps? No thanks. I have tried it before and returned it
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

SteveinMN

Post by SteveinMN » Thu May 07, 2020 6:18 pm

Especially at the bargain price of $250 for the "base" model, yeah, the iPad can't be beat. They're tough, they last a while, they're supported for years, and They. Just. Work.

We replaced my wife's MacBook three iPads ago/12 years ago because she found she was reading much more than typing emails/spreadsheets/etc. She would not go back to a MacBook (or any other laptop).

iPad software typically is supported for at least two or three years but they'll last much longer than that. Like the others, I would skip AppleCare. After three iPads and four iPhones, we have had only two instances when either device got damaged enough to require repair -- keep in mind the lower-priced AppleCare does not cover accidental damage. Sturdy cases and screen protectors are not very expensive. Get some protection and use the iPad happily.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu May 07, 2020 6:20 pm

On updates: Apple is much better about this for iOS phones than Android. The iPhone 5S, for example, got 6 years of updates (longer if you count security updates that iOS 12 is still getting), totally unheard of in the Android world. But iPads (esp. entry-level ones like the $250 iPad you're looking at) have older processors, so they generally won't get updates for as long. That iPad has the same processor as the iPhone 7, which came out in 2016. It's likely to get updates for at least another 2-3 years, but I wouldn't expect too much longer than that.

iPad batteries deteriorate like any other lithium-ion battery, but compared to phone batteries, they are bigger, they typically don't get charged/discharged as often, and you're more likely to use the tablet at home so losing some capacity isn't as big a deal as with a smartphone.

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Thu May 07, 2020 6:30 pm

MBB_Boy wrote:
Nothing's wrong exactly, but the user experience is just night and day. Even browsing the web, on an iPad the page loads instantly, just like a good desktop computer. On the Fire tablets I've used there's noticeable lag even on basic apps, web browsing, etc.

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Thu May 07, 2020 6:39 pm

DW bought an iPad 4 (the first with Retina display) in 2012. It was our first Apple device. There was a learning curve for both of us, but she still has it. It stopped receiving updates a couple of years ago, but she didn't mind. Her use was very "safe," and it kept doing what she needed to do.

We later switch to iPhones, partly because of our positive experience with iPad.

Around 9 months ago, she dropped it and cracked the screen. We bought an iPad Air with lots of memory to replace it. She refers to them, with apologies to Gollum, as "Precious 1" and "Precious 2." Clear packing tape keeps glass shards out of our fingers when the task is light and Precious 2 isn't convenient.

Precious 1 was clearly worth it. We bought Precious 2 with lots of memory because we expect it will last for years.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu May 07, 2020 6:49 pm

My iPad is easily my #1 used computing device. Agree with others that at $250 for an iPad it’s not worth considering anything else. I have Samsung Android tablets I use for testing at work, and they are slow, laggy, with a poor UI from brand new, and Samsung quickly moves on to something else, leaving them behind. I would expect an iPad to last for 5 years, easily. Our oldest is 7 years old and is still smoother to use than the brand new Samsung.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Fri May 08, 2020 6:09 am

If you plan on downloading videos to watch (e.g. on an airplane), consider getting more than the 32GB model. That doesn't go very far especially for longer flights.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri May 08, 2020 6:32 am

I got fed up with the iPhone's limited longevity and price and went the Android.

I still use the iPad, however. It’s versatile, tough, and will go for 4 or 5 years before you notice Apple making things buggy. I think Apple has stopped slowing them down because of legal action, but I've noticed that the browser on my 5 year old iPad has become finicky and will do things it never has before.

Is it worth it? Yes.

I’d get more than 32gb and forgo Apple care.

JT

tsupersonic

Post by tsupersonic » Fri May 08, 2020 7:18 am

bottlecap wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:32 am
I got fed up with the iPhone's limited longevity and price and went the Android.

I still use the iPad, however. It’s versatile, tough, and will go for 4 or 5 years before you notice Apple making things buggy. I think Apple has stopped slowing them down because of legal action, but I've noticed that the browser on my 5 year old iPad has become finicky and will do things it never has before.

Is it worth it? Yes.

I’d get more than 32gb and forgo Apple care.

JT
iOS devices are supported much longer than any Android device (including Google's own Pixel). Android updates are definitely a joke, and I say this as an Android user since 2010.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Fri May 08, 2020 7:33 am

I've had an iPad2 for a number of years and love it. The size is perfect...had no significant issues with it...essentially no viruses or malware. Yes, worth it!
Last edited by tennisplyr on Sat May 09, 2020 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Fri May 08, 2020 7:39 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:07 pm
MBB_Boy wrote:
With so many Amazon bloatware, and limited android apps? No thanks. I have tried it before and returned it
Fire HD 10 tablets work brilliantly if you spent 20 minutes searching to figure out:

1. How to sideload the Google Play store so you can install any Android application.

2. In settings, limit the number of background processes to 1. This stops most of the Amazon bloatware from running in the background, which is the main culprit for why these tablets feel so laggy out of the box. The Fire HD 10 has 2 GB of RAM, which isn't enough to support the half dozen data gathering processes Amazon wants to run in the background, in addition to using it for what you want.

3. Similar to iOS, you can't uninstall the preloaded apps that come with it. Just throw them all in a folder called "Garbage" and ignore it.

There you go, you now have a functional and smooth tablet for $100.

J45

Post by J45 » Fri May 08, 2020 7:41 am

I used to read paper on the toilet when young. Now I do ipad :D

hudson

Post by hudson » Fri May 08, 2020 7:57 am

BogleMelon,
1. iPad is a great tool for when I'm away from my Windows 10 desktop with keyboard, mouse, and big monitor. You need one per person.
2. Longevity...probably 5 years..as good or better than anything else on the market.
3. Applecare...no. I've dealt with 10 IPADS and 50+ IPHONEs with no AppleCare. I can only think of 3 times when I had
to send them in for repairs. The repair service was reasonably priced, very fast, and first class. No extended warranties for me.
Last edited by hudson on Fri May 08, 2020 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

tm3

Post by tm3 » Fri May 08, 2020 7:58 am

IMO iPads are easily the best tablets available.

Last one I bought was the regular size -- in retrospect I wish that I had bought the Pro.

If you mostly use your phone and the tablet will be a secondary use device and you are looking for bang for the buck then the Kindle Fire is your huckleberry.

My experience is that properly charged iPad batteries last a very long time.

The problem that I have had with iPad is that after the 2nd or 3rd iOS update or so they begin to run much slower. I believe this is planned obsolescence by Apple.

Applecare is a ripoff.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Fri May 08, 2020 8:40 am

All I have to add is that best buy has a good return policy, 2 weeks for computers. That might apply to tablets also. Failing that, a mint ipad will sell for nearly what you paid. So there is almost to risk in trying it out.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Fri May 08, 2020 9:13 am

32 gig is useless. You’ll run out of space as soon as you realize what you want/need to add to the IPad. 64 gig is the minimum but eventually may not be enough.

dan23

Post by dan23 » Fri May 08, 2020 9:21 am

I just got an iPad for the first time for facetime usage. I am a long time Android phone and tablet user (mostly Samsung) and Samsung s5e is my current tablet. There are both learning curve frustrations and things you can do on Android that you can't do on iPad (I imagine it would be the case in the Apple to Android direction as well). If there is nothing you want to do that is missing on an Android tablet, I would just get a Samsung. I am super happy with my s5e (only missing item is headphone jack) and have had it since release.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Fri May 08, 2020 9:31 am

Old Guy wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:13 am
32 gig is useless. You’ll run out of space as soon as you realize what you want/need to add to the IPad. 64 gig is the minimum but eventually may not be enough.
This and what upsets me about Apple the most. It is 2020 and the smallest storage size is 32GB. Most other companies up'ed their min storage size to at least 64GB and some even 128GB. Although a great deal, iOS will take up almost 1/4 of that and apps are only getting bigger. If you store some photos or videos then you aren't left with much at all. Maybe 10 apps at most. You may be able to swing it if you only use 2-3 apps but otherwise, spend the extra money and get the 128GB model.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

queso

Post by queso » Fri May 08, 2020 9:32 am

tea_pirate wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:39 am
BogleMelon wrote:
MBB_Boy wrote:
Fire HD 10 tablets work brilliantly if you spent 20 minutes searching to figure out:

1. How to sideload the Google Play store so you can install any Android application.

2. In settings, limit the number of background processes to 1. This stops most of the Amazon bloatware from running in the background, which is the main culprit for why these tablets feel so laggy out of the box. The Fire HD 10 has 2 GB of RAM, which isn't enough to support the half dozen data gathering processes Amazon wants to run in the background, in addition to using it for what you want.

3. Similar to iOS, you can't uninstall the preloaded apps that come with it. Just throw them all in a folder called "Garbage" and ignore it.

There you go, you now have a functional and smooth tablet for $100.
This! We have a Surface book (detachable "tablet"), 4 iPads and 1 Fire HD 10. The Fire tablet was less than a third of the cost of the cheapest iPad variant and once I finished tweaking it and sideloading what I wanted it does everything the iPads do (Outlook for work email, Gmail, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, etc. etc.) except the native iOS stuff that I don't use anyway (Facetime, etc.). IMHO, very hard to beat the Fire tablet from a value proposition if you aren't wedded to the Apple ecosystem. One of our iPads is starting to show its age and I'm leaning toward just replacing it with another Fire tablet.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Fri May 08, 2020 9:53 am

I disagree with some of the comments on storage. There are many people who need a bunch of storage for movies and games and things, but that is not everyone. I never need more than a few hours of video and don't play games. 32 is plenty for reading, browsing, any common apps. Upgrading ipad storage is crazy expensive and a waste if you won't use it.

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri May 08, 2020 9:56 am

harrychan wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:31 am
Old Guy wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:13 am
This and what upsets me about Apple the most. It is 2020 and the smallest storage size is 32GB. Most other companies up'ed their min storage size to at least 64GB and some even 128GB. Although a great deal, iOS will take up almost 1/4 of that and apps are only getting bigger. If you store some photos or videos then you aren't left with much at all. Maybe 10 apps at most. You may be able to swing it if you only use 2-3 apps but otherwise, spend the extra money and get the 128GB model.
This is an intentional move by Apple to funnel users into using iCloud. If you use iCloud most people would have no trouble at all with 32GB on an iPad, and they would probably never notice anything at all about storage because Apple has done a great job of obscuring whether files live locally or in the cloud.

student

Post by student » Fri May 08, 2020 10:06 am

I like ipads. There is no need to get AppleCare, you already get 1 year from Apple and probably one additional year from your credit card. In my experience, an ipad can be used for 5 years or more before getting obsolete.

avenger

Post by avenger » Fri May 08, 2020 10:08 am

Love it for reading. Also am a pianist and have all my music on it. Use the Apple Pencil to notate in it as well - comments from my piano teacher.

Also use it for all heavy work tasks (have the pro). I love it.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [3 fund portfolio: VTI, VXUS, SV fund (yield 3.01%)]

Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri May 08, 2020 10:13 am

Thank you everyone, I ordered the 128 GB ($330+ tax) since I will probably end up adding a lot of financial apps (banks, YNAB,..etc) plus some games in addition to the daily use apps. I am also planning to take it on my future travels instead of the bulky laptop, so I think I may need the extra space.

I may also give Fire tablets another try in the future after that tweaks some have mentioned. I appreciate everyone's input as usual, and please keep posting as nothing is better than reading confirming posts :D
Last edited by BogleMelon on Fri May 08, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Fri May 08, 2020 10:14 am

My original iPad Air from 2013 is still going strong, no noticeable differences from new.

Derpalator

Post by Derpalator » Fri May 08, 2020 10:26 am

Kenkat wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:51 pm
I love my iPad and it is my go to device for email, web browsing and eReading. I do have an Android phone and a Windows PC as well.

My first iPad, an iPad 2 that I bought when they first came out in 2011 lasted 6+ years. I replaced that with a first generation iPad Pro 9.7 that’s been fantastic as well and still seems brand new.

I would skip the Apple Care - they are pretty durable. I have an inexpensive wrap case - acrylic back and fold down screen protector when not in use.
I, too, got the iPad 2 in 2011 and still use it daily. Very handy when traveling. Does need a new battery though. Have to recharge every 3-4 days for normal daily usage, if traveling have to charge much more frequently (reading e-books or watching movies).

MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy » Fri May 08, 2020 11:12 am

BogleMelon wrote:
MBB_Boy wrote:
Roger. FWIW, you can download the Google play store separately to get around the app restrictions. Takes about 15 minutes. But get it if you don't want to bother with it

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Fri May 08, 2020 11:42 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:07 pm

Questions:
1. If you have kids, ABSOLUTELY.
2. Had our ipad air for 5 years. Still running strong.
3. We just got an Otterbox.

Bogle7

iPad is worth it

Post by Bogle7 » Fri May 08, 2020 11:48 am

I have a 5-1/2 year old iPad Air 2.
Latest software.
I use it for reading stuff on the InnerTubes®.
It replaced an original iPad because the screen resolution doubled.

aj76er

Post by aj76er » Fri May 08, 2020 11:53 am

I recently bought an iPad Air because of the extended (COVID19) work from home arrangement so I could attend meetings from any room in the house with a decent sized screen. It has become my favorite device, and I use it for pretty much everything outside of work - e.g. reading Bogleheads, surfing the web, photo editing, music creation (GarageBand), YouTube, email, text, and video chat. I am in the apple ecosystem, along with all my family, so being able to iMessage and FaceTime on it along with everything else is really great.

Like others on this thread, I am posting this on my iPad Air :-).

The iPad is so good at so many things, I may never buy another computer.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle

Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri May 08, 2020 6:17 pm

I just learned that a feature like multiple users is not available on iPads! Was wondering, as a workaround, can I just sign out, hand the device to DW, she signs with her email and password and customize her desktop in some way? I guess that won't work for someone reason, but not sure what would happen exactly when multiple users keep signing on and off specifically for social media apps...etc

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Fri May 08, 2020 10:45 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:17 pm
multiple users is not available on iPads!
Note.
iPad not wePad or usPad.
Buy another one, they are cheap.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri May 08, 2020 11:06 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
I just learned that a feature like multiple users is not available on iPads! Was wondering, as a workaround, can I just sign out, hand the device to DW, she signs with her email and password and customize her desktop in some way? I guess that won't work for someone reason, but not sure what would happen exactly when multiple users keep signing on and off specifically for social media apps...etc
You can of course sign in and out of individual apps, there's just no way to have multiple user profiles on the same device. Any change your wife makes to settings will stick, until you change them back.

chemocean

Post by chemocean » Fri May 08, 2020 11:13 pm

In these times of stay at home with the libraries closed, Ipad works great for ready library E-books in my easy chair using Libby.
I use my DW's ipad for email on international travel using WiFi using webmail through a browser with my id and PW saved as an option (multiple users). My webmail site allows for multiple saved fill-ins for sign-ons.

cmwahl

Post by cmwahl » Fri May 08, 2020 11:46 pm

Love my iPad. It’s my 5th one. We bought our college son the Best Buy one you are looking at and he uses it all the time. We also bought AppleCare for him as he’s hard on everything. I just bought the same one but with a cell chip because we use Navionics on our boat and that app uses the cell chip as gps to navigate as a backup to our chart plotter. Actually works better than our Garmin chart plotter. All my prior iPads going back to the first one are still great. I keep handing them down to others. One, an iPad mini 2 needed a battery replacement recently. I got that at Batteries Plus for $80. I use that one in my kitchen. I have dropped ALL of my ipads frequently and they are resilient. The true test will be our son’s, so far his iPad is still good. No chips, no screen cracks, no dead batteries, etc.

onourway

Post by onourway » Sat May 09, 2020 5:19 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Apple definitely intends iOS devices to be individual. I would not buy one with the expectation that you will be signing in and out regularly. It really ruins the iPad experience not to have it be ready to go immediately every time you want to use it. I’d let your wife try it as much as she likes, but if it looks like she wants one, just buy her one as well.