Craigslist - are these scams?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
goshenBogle

Craigslist - are these scams?

Post by goshenBogle » Wed May 06, 2020 11:13 am

I recently listed an item on Craigslist (kayak for $450) & within a few hours received 2 email responses. Do you think these are scame? Is so, what would these folks hope to gain? Here are the 2 responses - let me know what you think.
(1) Receive email from a woman with a typical American sounding name. I call 3 times - no answer, leave message I will call back. Call a 4th time, no answer, leave message with my phone number. 5 minutes later, phone rings & caller ID shows it is the same number. I answer & cannot understand one word of what the person, who has a thick accent, is saying. Finally I hang up. That person never calls back.
(2) Receive email from a person with a foreign sounding name. That person tells me the town they live in. I google that person's name + town, & discover that they have an arrest record. I look further into the public police records for that town and discover that person, when arrested, used several aliases.

What is going on here? Are these scams? When I sell on Craigslist, I only accept cash, never accept any type of check.

Comments please?
Retired and loving it!!!!

dukeblue219

Re: Craigslist - are these scams?

Post by dukeblue219 » Wed May 06, 2020 11:16 am

In general you should expect the majority of responses to a Craigslist ad to be scams of one sort or another. I wouldn't give anyone the benefit of the doubt on there.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed May 06, 2020 11:21 am

dukeblue219 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:16 am
In general you should expect the majority of responses to a Craigslist ad to be scams of one sort or another. I wouldn't give anyone the benefit of the doubt on there.
+1000 Very well stated.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Wed May 06, 2020 11:26 am

Scams.

A thread on the r/Kayaking Reddit forum recommended the Paddling.com classifieds.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed May 06, 2020 11:54 am

If you are concerned, why not agree to bring the kayak to the local police station and do the deal there?
Any scammer would, I think, back down. And if they don't you are probably secure selling it at home.

In fact, I recall seeing a sign in front of our local police station with an area designated for people doing online deals.

I haven't used Craigslist in quite awhile but when I did on several occasions, fwiw, I had no problems.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Wed May 06, 2020 11:56 am

Never call back or give the buyers your main phone number either. Use Google voice or similar for all communication outside the email. Yes OP, these were likely scam replies.
Last edited by bob60014 on Wed May 06, 2020 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Wed May 06, 2020 11:56 am

When attempting to sell (for an estate, I was time pressed) some large furniture sets for low hundreds, I had several people immediately contact me with one superficial question, and then a ludicrous story about sending "their shipper" with a check for more than what I wanted, I was supposed to pay the shipper and then cash the check. Happened more than once, fraud of course. And I have heard of people selling electronics, esp hot items desired by young gamers, getting flat out mugged when they show up to sell the item for cash. It's a scary world out there, cash is best, but that's not the only way you can be victimized. Try to market locally or through a sporting club or ????
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Wed May 06, 2020 12:04 pm

goshenBogle wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:13 am
(1) Receive email from a woman with a typical American sounding name.
(2) Receive email from a person with a foreign sounding name.
How do you tell what they sound like from an email? :mrgreen:

delamer

Post by delamer » Wed May 06, 2020 12:25 pm

atikovi wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:04 pm
goshenBogle wrote:
We live in an area with people of multiple ethnicities and multiple countries of origin. It also an area with highly educated people.

So my thought is that thinking someone without a “white bread” name is more likely to be a scammer is just silly.

And just because you can’t understand someone with a thick accent that is different from yours doesn’t make them a scammer.

But I certainly wouldn’t do a deal with someone with an arrest record for fraud or violence.
Last edited by delamer on Wed May 06, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Wed May 06, 2020 12:29 pm

protagonist wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:54 am
If you are concerned, why not agree to bring the kayak to the local police station and do the deal there?
Any scammer would, I think, back down. And if they don't you are probably secure selling it at home.

In fact, I recall seeing a sign in front of our local police station with an area designated for people doing online deals.

I haven't used Craigslist in quite awhile but when I did on several occasions, fwiw, I had no problems.
+1 if you have this option. Better safe than sorry.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Wed May 06, 2020 1:49 pm

When using CL, I only list an email address for interested parties. It greatly reduces the aggravation factor, and the spam phone call factor. I don't waste my time.

Typically, email scams are easy to identify, and to block.

knightrider

Post by knightrider » Wed May 06, 2020 2:01 pm

80% of responses are scams. Of the remaining 20%, 80% of those will be dead beats, time wasters, tire kickers etc..

Be patient and just ignore 96% of all responses. Don't indulge them like what you are doing..

If it is priced to sell, that remaining 4% will beat a path to your door.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Wed May 06, 2020 2:05 pm

knightrider wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:01 pm
80% of responses are scams. Of the remaining 20%, 80% of those will be dead beats, time wasters, tire kickers etc..

Be patient and just ignore 96% of all responses. Don't indulge them like what you are doing..

This!
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Wed May 06, 2020 2:14 pm

https://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

Avoiding Scams

Deal locally, face-to-face —follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.

Do not provide payment to anyone you have not met in person.
Beware offers involving shipping - deal with locals you can meet in person.
Never wire funds (e.g. Western Union) - anyone who asks you to is a scammer.
Don't accept cashier/certified checks or money orders - banks cash fakes, then hold you responsible.
Transactions are between users only, no third party provides a "guarantee".
Never give out financial info (bank account, social security, paypal account, etc).
Do not rent or purchase sight-unseen—that amazing "deal" may not exist.
Refuse background/credit checks until you have met landlord/employer in person.
"craigslist voicemails" - Any message asking you to access or check "craigslist voicemails" or "craigslist voice messages" is fraudulent - no such service exists.
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Wed May 06, 2020 2:20 pm

Just use facebook marketplace. Craigslist is all but dead at this point. Almost all scammers, and not a lot of activity. Marketplace is the latest and greatest place to sell.

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Wed May 06, 2020 2:58 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:20 pm
Marketplace is the latest and greatest place to sell.
That place is loaded with scammers and no way to report like on CL, at least in the vehicles section. You get what you pay for. I'd rather spend the $5 on a CL ad and get some good buyers than waste time on a FB ad where they offer you half of the listing price before even looking at it. If I'm buying, I'd rater search CL where sellers are going to be more realistic when they have to pay for an ad than FB where people ask $5K for clapped out 20 year old pickups or Civics.

JAR89

Post by JAR89 » Wed May 06, 2020 3:11 pm

My problem with CL isn’t the scammers so much, but the real people. Flaky, cheap, unnecessarily hostile and disrespectful of time. I’ve sold a few items on there in the past few years and it is a terrible experience. Someone agrees to buy something and the shows up with half the purchase price and “take it or leave it” attitude.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed May 06, 2020 3:25 pm

I had a side business buying and selling camera gear on Craigslist for a number of years. I did 50-100 transactions per year for 8 years. My experience is that CL is still the quickest and easiest way to sell stuff locally. Here's what I learned along the way.

Responding to nearly every inquiry with "cash only, in person" stops pretty much every scam.

In general, when you post an ad, expect within the first few hours after you post it to get several people running some sort of scam. It often involves sending money by electronic means, and someone else who's going to pick the item up. The email they send will often refer to your item as "the item," or something else that indicates that they have no idea what you're selling. You'll quickly learn to recognize these from the first contact. The words "cash only, in person" usually gets rid of them.

If your item is priced correctly, you may also get quick responses from legitimate buyers. These are easy to figure out. They either ask a specific question about the item, or are trying to set up an appointment to see (or buy) your item. These are your gold. Return their calls, emails, or texts. Meet someplace public, but off the street. When I was working, I met them in the lobby of my office building, and sit the camera lens or whatever right on the security guard's desk. Now that I'm retired, I meet them at a local coffee shop that is close to the freeway and has good parking. I usually bring a friend as a bodyguard/witness. I've never had anything happen that was the slightest bit problematic. Once they get to the driving out to meet you stage, they're almost always going to go ahead with the purchase. I think in the entire time I only had one person who looked at the item and then didn't buy it.

You will also run into people who either want the item but for some reason can't come see it (usually kids without transportation), or want to lowball you on price. After long experience, what I've learned is to know what the item is worth (eBay sales are a good proxy). If someone is trying to lowball you immediately after you've listed the item, tell them you're not willing to sell it for that amount now, but you might later. If it doesn't sell, then you can get back to them. Usually they'll still be waiting. People who can't seem to get it together to come see the item are not worth worrying about. If they eventually can get it together, great, but I don't hold items for anyone, and don't expend a lot of energy on someone who won't commit to a time and place. The first one who arrives with cash gets the item.

I do price my items so I have 10-20% wiggle room in the price. If someone asks for a discount, I give them a discount, and let them believe they got a good deal. There have been a couple of people who show up and don't have enough cash. I ended up holding the item while they went to the ATM to get more money. That doesn't happen all that often, though.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Wed May 06, 2020 3:37 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:25 pm
People who can't seem to get it together to come see the item are not worth worrying about.
HAHA, just this morning I'm talking to a guy interested in my motorhome but he lives in a veterans home and can't leave the property because of the virus he says. If I drive it over to him to check out, he is certain he will take it.

knightrider

Post by knightrider » Wed May 06, 2020 3:37 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Responding to nearly every inquiry with "cash only, in person" stops pretty much every scam.
Scammers use automated scripts to send out thousands of their messsages. They are not reading your ads and writing tailored scams just for you..

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed May 06, 2020 4:15 pm

knightrider wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:37 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
Scammers use automated scripts to send out thousands of their messsages. They are not reading your ads and writing tailored scams just for you..
You can get a human by replying. It can be entertaining to engage them.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Wed May 06, 2020 4:28 pm

Honestly was just thinking about Craigslist and the scams as I read your title. Yes, 9 out of 10 boat ads locally where I'm located are scams. No phone number is a sure sign. They want your email address. I just had one insist on my email address for more photos. She emailed me this back through craigslist exchange, which keeps real IDs private, unless you don't care about that.
I"ve about had it with Craigslist. Or photos with palm trees and where in Kansas.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Wed May 06, 2020 5:23 pm

rustymutt wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:28 pm
No phone number is a sure sign.
I never put a phone number in my ads. Don't want the 1am phone call from some meth head asking stupid questions that are already answered in the ad if only he could see it using a computer instead of a phone, or the idiots that assume the number I do give them is a cell instead of my landline and send me texts I will never see.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Wed May 06, 2020 5:51 pm

goshenBogle wrote:
I recently listed an item on Craigslist (kayak for $450) & within a few hours received 2 email responses. Do you think these are scame? Is so, what would these folks hope to gain? Here are the 2 responses - let me know what you think.
(1) Receive email from a woman with a typical American sounding name. I call 3 times - no answer, leave message I will call back. Call a 4th time, no answer, leave message with my phone number. 5 minutes later, phone rings & caller ID shows it is the same number. I answer & cannot understand one word of what the person, who has a thick accent, is saying. Finally I hang up. That person never calls back.
(2) Receive email from a person with a foreign sounding name. That person tells me the town they live in. I google that person's name + town, & discover that they have an arrest record. I look further into the public police records for that town and discover that person, when arrested, used several aliases.

What is going on here? Are these scams? When I sell on Craigslist, I only accept cash, never accept any type of check.

Comments please?
Yes those are scams. As noted above use a safe place for a sale. Many localities have designed "safe trade stations" in police or other parking lots.
http://www.safetradestations.com

While I have never bought a kayak, from my observation there are enough for sale that someone from a distance shouldn't have to have one shipped, you should be able to find a local buyer and if not, its not worth the risk and worry.

Pu239

Post by Pu239 » Wed May 06, 2020 5:55 pm

rustymutt wrote:
Or photos with palm trees and where in Kansas.
The I-70 Petro station in Colby, Kansas, has palm trees. Metal, of course, but difficult to tell from a distance.
Between the idea And the reality...Between the motion And the act...Falls the Shadow - T. S. Eliot

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Wed May 06, 2020 6:25 pm

goshenBogle wrote:

Comments please?
Yes, those are scams. Hopefully real potential customers will contact you soon.

I am a buyer on craigslist, so real customers are out there. Have patience.

Momus

Post by Momus » Wed May 06, 2020 6:31 pm

In Craigslist, if they do not agree to meet you in person with cash on hand, it IS 100% SCAM. Anything extra is bs.

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Wed May 06, 2020 6:39 pm

Momus wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:31 pm
In Craigslist, if they do not agree to meet you in person with cash on hand, it IS 100% SCAM. Anything extra is bs.
Not always. I've sold some auto parts through CL to people too far away to pick up. It's advice like that which makes it harder for ME to buy something on CL that is too far away to pick up and the seller assumes they are going to get scammed.

bikesandbeers

Post by bikesandbeers » Wed May 06, 2020 6:44 pm

Momus wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:31 pm
yep, I buy and sell on CL for a lot of things. The only question that ever matters is when would you like to show up with cash in hand. Everything else is either a scam or not worth going back and forth

I do use google voice, and I had one person recently say they needed to send me a code to verify i was a real person, I think they were going to try using a the phone number plus a "forgot my password" type verification to get into my account.

I am sorry for the above person who ships, but there is too much ricsk for that. Ebay has some protections for that.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed May 06, 2020 6:45 pm

This conversation is so bizarre to me because I buy and sell off classifieds all the time. It's always 100% cash and face to face and sold "as-is". We have a local paper/online classifieds we tend to use more often (ksl.com,) but it's really no different from Craigslist and if that weren't available I'd use Craigslist.

If you're so paranoid that you don't want someone coming to your house, just give it to charity. That's often worth more anyway than the cash you can get firesaling stuff on Craigslist.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed May 06, 2020 6:47 pm

knightrider wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:01 pm

"First person here with the cash gets the item."
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

EFF_fan81

Post by EFF_fan81 » Wed May 06, 2020 6:50 pm

Craiglist for cash, in person pickup.

Ebay for shiping (buyer pays first, done through paypal, formal dispute process).

Easy peasy. I just flat out ignore any e-mails from people who don't seem to express a sincere interest in a respectful, efficient cash transaction.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Wed May 06, 2020 6:52 pm

You might investigate selling on Nextdoor if you have that in your community. It seems there are more checks and balances among "shady" people and service providers by other neighbors. But that may not be your target audience for potential buyers. FWIW.

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Wed May 06, 2020 6:58 pm

bikesandbeers wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:44 pm

I am sorry for the above person who ships, but there is too much ricsk for that. Ebay has some protections for that.
It's called Paypal. No more risk than selling on Ebay without all the Ebay fees.

buhlaxtus

Post by buhlaxtus » Wed May 06, 2020 7:12 pm

I had great luck recently selling an appliance on craigs list for a bit under its actual value. First response was a real buyer with cash who showed up promptly at the agreed time. Was pretty easy to sniff out that he was legit. I guess it depends on location and details though.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Thu May 07, 2020 9:22 am

We'd rather give the item to a deserving charity rather than have to interface and deal with many of the folks that currently prowl Craigslist. It was great years ago, but lately it has devolved into a potential serious hassle and a risk not worth taking.

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Thu May 07, 2020 11:37 am

ponyboy wrote:
Just use facebook marketplace. Craigslist is all but dead at this point. Almost all scammers, and not a lot of activity. Marketplace is the latest and greatest place to sell.
+1 Have had very good success with FB market place .

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Thu May 07, 2020 11:41 am

ponyboy wrote:
+1 Have had very good success with FB Marketplace , live in CT but on the other hand our son has done well with Craigslist , he's in Las Vegas :confused

oldmotos

Post by oldmotos » Thu May 07, 2020 12:42 pm

I sell a fair amount on Craigslist without many problems. One thing I do is state in the listing I will not respond to generic questions so please ask specific questions so I know you are real. Pretty easy to just ignore the rest. Then require cash at pick-up and refuse any requests for delivery unless paid ahead of time. After qualifying someone via email I then ask for their phone number so I can call them and go from there.

DoubleClick

Post by DoubleClick » Thu May 07, 2020 1:11 pm

atikovi wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:04 pm
goshenBogle wrote:
+1, what does a "typical American sounding name" sound like?

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Thu May 07, 2020 1:27 pm

Ignore any replies you get on the first day as a general rule. Also ignore replies that are interested in your "item" that don't specify what the item is...in your case a kayak. I don't respond to emails from Craigslist at all and state this in my ad. Serious buyers will call you...not text or email.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Thu May 07, 2020 1:33 pm

I'm not too trusting and would never use Craigslist. I do know people that have used it to find jobs (usually in the restaurant business).

I had a manager who would buy/sell some collectible (honestly can't recall). Anyhow he would always meet in a public place (and he was a good sized guy). One time he was in his car and saw someone looking around and thought that was his "contact" so he waved the guy over to his car. The guy's English wasn't the greatest. The funny (and potentially dangerous thing) was that the guy was looking for his Uber and thought this manager was the uber driver. Oops. The manager had to explain that he wasn't a driver for Uber.

Afty

Post by Afty » Thu May 07, 2020 1:33 pm

Any response where the buyer can't meet in person is a scam. If they can meet in person and give you cash, they're probably legit. The suggestion of meeting at a police station is a good one.

I found when selling a car on CL last year that many legitimate buyers do make initial contact through text.

CL's advice on scams is very good: https://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Thu May 07, 2020 1:37 pm

FI4LIFE wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:27 pm
Serious buyers will call you...not text or email.
Wrong. As a buyer, I have a list of questions to ask that I can conveniently put in an email. Over the phone I might forget or get distracted. Does the a/c work. Yes. Does it have any leaks. No. etc. And when I get the answers, I have something written I can refer to when looking at it. You said the a/c works but it's not blowing cold. -$500. You said no leaks. I can see oil from valve cover gasket. -$200.

Hypersion

Post by Hypersion » Thu May 07, 2020 2:47 pm

I've had nothing but good experience with CL. The scammer are easy to spot if you use some common sense.

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Thu May 07, 2020 3:03 pm

atikovi wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:37 pm
FI4LIFE wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:27 pm
Serious buyers will call you...not text or email.
Wrong. As a buyer, I have a list of questions to ask that I can conveniently put in an email. Over the phone I might forget or get distracted. Does the a/c work. Yes. Does it have any leaks. No. etc. And when I get the answers, I have something written I can refer to when looking at it. You said the a/c works but it's not blowing cold. -$500. You said no leaks. I can see oil from valve cover gasket. -$200.
Just relating my own experience in selling on Craigslist over the years. You are an exception to my rule but I've never had someone buy anything after a simple text or email exchange. They are almost always "tire kickers" and a waste of my time. If I miss out on the handful of buyers who refuse to pick up a phone, so be it. I also tend to list below market value to avoid the type of exchange you listed above so you are likely not my target buyer anyway.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Thu May 07, 2020 3:57 pm

Pu239 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:55 pm
rustymutt wrote:
Or photos with palm trees and where in Kansas.
The I-70 Petro station in Colby, Kansas, has palm trees. Metal, of course, but difficult to tell from a distance.
I've been to Colby and seen those fake trees. I'm seeing real palms in Oklahoma ads. They pump the used salt water boats.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Thu May 07, 2020 4:00 pm

atikovi wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:23 pm
rustymutt wrote:
I never put a phone number in my ads. Don't want the 1am phone call from some meth head asking stupid questions that are already answered in the ad if only he could see it using a computer instead of a phone, or the idiots that assume the number I do give them is a cell instead of my landline and send me texts I will never see.
Ok, I'll never contact you. I use my phone number and haven't ever had issues. Most of the emails I've sent on CL don't get answered. I don't sleep with my cell phone in the bedroom, and would sleep right through a call anyway.

musicmom

Post by musicmom » Thu May 07, 2020 4:27 pm

DH and i bought a kyack on CL two years ago when we retired to a lake community.
Perfect cash transaction.
Seller arrived at our local police station parking lot with boat strapped to top of his SUV.
Young man who was happy to help transfer it to our SUV.
Handed over cash, all done in 10 min.

Its been a great boat.

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Thu May 07, 2020 4:29 pm

rustymutt wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:00 pm
atikovi wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:23 pm
rustymutt wrote:
Ok, I'll never contact you. I use my phone number and haven't ever had issues. Most of the emails I've sent on CL don't get answered. I don't sleep with my cell phone in the bedroom, and would sleep right through a call anyway.
HAHA, if I wanted to talk to people I'd advertise in the newspaper. This is the 21st century. People use email and text to communicate now.