2020 travel plans

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bligh

Re: 2020 travel plans

Post by bligh »

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:40 pm
bligh wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:27 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:50 pm
flyingaway wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:52 am
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:18 am All my travel plans (other than a walk around the block) are indefinitely postponed.

The level of complacency I’m seeing around here is mindBogling. It’s like we’re asking for a second wave.
What is the alternative? Never go out again?
What about if there will be no vaccine? How about the virus coming back no matter what?
Why are you assuming that travel is the natural, normal state of affairs?

It wasn’t so long ago that the vast majority of people never left a 10 mile radius of where they were born.
About 1.35 Million people died last year from car accidents. Why are we assuming that road travel is a natural, normal state of affairs?

It wasn't so long ago that the vast majority of people never owned, let alone traveled in a car. The car itself is a fairly recent invention, not much older than the airplane. People have been traveling by other means for far far longer.

---

All life ends in death. There is a line between reasonable caution and living in fear. Different people draw that line in different places.
The fact that your opinion is prevalent is exactly why I am not traveling any time soon.
And that is exactly how it should be.

People who are high risk, or are afraid, should and can stay at home .. that is their choice. No one is forcing them to do otherwise. No one is forcing them to drive a car either, or take any other unnecessary risks. It is their choice on where to draw the line between "fine with reasonable caution" and "not worth the risk".
Last edited by bligh on Wed May 06, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Canceled our Europe trip that was scheduled for April. Luckily it was insured so we got a full refund. No plans to travel rest of this coming year.

Dave
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

flyingaway wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:37 pm Just from the CNBS news:

(NY governor) "Cuomo said nearly 84% of the hospitalized cases were people who were not commuting to work through car services, personal cars, public transit or walking. He said a majority of those people were either retired or unemployed. Overall, some 73% of the admissions were people over age 51."

It seems that staying at home is not so safe.
Couple that statement with the statement that a very large percentage of people get the virus from someone else in their home. Then think of the number of households where someone over 51 is at home, and someone else in the house is going out to work every day. Or someone over 51 is living in a facility with caregivers that come in from the outside. And you realize that the problem is still the people going out.

Younger people are hospitalized at lower rates, but that doesn’t stop them from infecting older people.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
dewey

Post by dewey »

We cancelled a big trip planned with friends for May to New England and up to Canada.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
Kyleethecollie

Post by Kyleethecollie »

Two-week stay at oceanfront beach house in Sunset Beach, NC cancelled Tuesday, after the local City Council voted to continue the ban on short-term rentals at least to May 22. Thanks to an attorney opinion letter issued by the NC Board of Realtors that interpreted the relevant NC law as requiring a full refund in such cases, we got all our money refunded. Still waiting to see if American Airlines cancels our planned Saturday flight, so not sure about any refund or rebooking for that cost.

On the other hand, our cancellation of a one-week stay at oceanfront place in Ocean City, NJ, in October will result in lost deposit, unless agent can re-rent. Fortunately, hadn't bought any plane tickets for that trip, so no loss there.

Money spent on trip insurance was a total waste, since "fear of contracting Covid-19" is not covered....
Last edited by Kyleethecollie on Wed May 06, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VanGogh

Post by VanGogh »

My travel plans are on hold indefinitely. I'm waiting for a vaccine, and adjusting to a new reality.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

oxothuk wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:04 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:30 am
oxothuk wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:16 am We have trips planned to Brazil in August and to Spain in September. I would put our odds of going at about 50% for Brazil and 75% for Spain. It all depends on what course the virus takes over the next few months.
I'm shocked you would even consider going to Brazil. Somehow they've managed to bungle the virus response even worse than the United States has. I'd expect you'd have difficulties reentering the US after that trip.
It’s a family visit and we would be in their apartment most of the time we were there. But right now the case counts in Brazil are still growing and the country is closed to foreign visitors anyway. We’ll see what things look like in early August and decide then.

In another year we may have enough evidence to judge which countries got it right.
Maybe I'm missing the point but isn't "visiting" someone not a member of your household in their residence supposed to be off-lmits? I don't see that being family or not would be a factor.
goaties

Post by goaties »

I am set to van camp, but the problem is that there are precious few places to go. State parks, national parks, even many forest service roads are closed. Van (or RV) camping is well-suited to covid-times as you can pretty much avoid other peoples' germs. Well, except for when you have to stop for gas, empty the porta-potty, or buy groceries. Still, there are ways to handle those actions safely too.

But the main problem remains that The Great Outdoors seems largely closed to camping for now. I'd be interested in how other van/RV campers are considering working around these limitations.
DemoEngr

Post by DemoEngr »

We, Me Wife and two teenage boys will likely take our boat and rent a cabin and do some fishing and skiing. Typically we travel from Ohio to north of Toronto, this year we may be forced to remain stateside. One thing I have noticed is there is no lack of available Vrbos, so no need to fret about a good location.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

We plan on switching our July travel plans from flying to driving (Texas to Colorado). It's a long way with two small children, but it will be much cheaper than 4 plane tickets + car rental. The original plan was a larger family reunion, but it may now be limited to some smaller family visits.

My work travel is on hold until further notice. My company issued a ban on international travel absent exigent circumstances (I normally take 3-5 international trips a year). There's a chance I could end up traveling if that changes before the end of the year, but it's very TBD.
shorty313

Post by shorty313 »

We have a road trip planned to Maine end of June. We have until June 7 to cancel our airbnb. I doubt we will go, but we shall see as the date approaches.

Also have my college roommate's wedding in Oct that is a plane flight away. I have not bought the tickets yet. Would hate to miss that. She hasn't mentioned postponing.

None of us are in a high risk group, but we don't want to unnecessarily expose ourselves/others, either.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

We are not planning any trips this summer not due to fear but because we do not want to participate in a second wave that medical professionals are predicting will happen.

We have a wedding in CA in September. We were in the midst of buying plane tickets in March as shutdowns happened. I think it's clear that even if everything is open again that large groups will be banned or discouraged through September. So we're not going.

We do plan to visit family in the Bay Area during Xmas. We'll buy tickets in the summer as we normally do.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

I had two out of state and one international vacation scheduled between Feb and Apr. After paying for two of the trips, I’ve had to postpone both until next year which really sucked because we really looked forward to those trips. We’ve done a really good job adhering to the stay at home orders for the last two months, but I’m itching to take a trip. We are supposed to go camping in Glacier National park during the first week of June but it seems that trip will be canceled which is a bummer because that’s the trip we most looked forward too. Right now, we don’t have any other travel plans for 2020. At this point, I’m not sure what vacations we can plan as a lot of places are still closed. If we do anything it will likely be via road trip.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I would not get your hopes up about being able to travel this year.

My neighbor has a condo on the Florida panhandle on the gulf coast and she did "work from home" there last week and she said that the crowds there were not being careful at all. In a popular seafood market she goes to people were lined up two or three deep so she left without buying anything. In normal grocery stores almost no one was wearing masks. She was not optimistic.

FireHorse wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:52 am We cancelled two scheduled trips, one is Asia in April and the other is cruise in November.
We are talking about a possible trip to the national parks in the late summer or early fall, the route is the following -
Mt. Rushmore, SD
Yellowstone, WY
Rocky Mountain, CO
Mt. Zion, UT
Grand Canyon, AZ

The biggest problem is how we get to Mt. Rushmore, SD as the first stop. Driving is too far from CT, flying is still questionable given the virus. Once we get to the first stop, we can rent a car and driving to different parks/states.
I would break that up into two or three trips. Those parks cover a lot a territory and Rock Mountain NP is not real close to any of the others. Doing the southwest in one trip would make sense, then in another trip do Yellowstone/Montana/South Dakota.

I would be skeptical that any of them will be possible this year though.

One of the problems is that they likely do not have seasonal workers lined up so it would be hard to open even if they could.
9liner

Post by 9liner »

Was able to score 2 round trip, non-stop tickets to Savannah from Baltimore for a grand total of $120 the first week in October. We’re planning a 4-day, 3-night stay at a VRBO with another couple.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

We were fortunate in that we didn't have any pre-paid travel plans for 2020, so no worries about refunds or cancellations. We do normally travel quite a lot, but don't normally make commitments long in advance. At this point, we'll keep our travel planning even more short-range for a while. I'd love to take the trailer out and do an RV trip now, but somehow camping seems to have gotten lumped in with concerts and arenas in our governors mind.

I gave serious thought to flying up to see my grandkids this weekend. I think it would be safer from a virus perspective than the similar trip we made in February (where we did take extra precautions even then). It's a nonstop flight between two regions that had early virus outbreaks but have kept them largely under control (currently tests of suspect cases are down to 2% or less positive).

August was planned to have a ~25-person family reunion in celebration of a 90th birthday. I doubt that we will cancel that entirely, but it may well end up smaller. We'll see how things look in mid-June.

We don't expect to do any trips to Europe this year, nor any cruises. Still some possibility of a trip to New Zealand at the end of the year, but I'm not betting on it happening.
Rainmaker41

Post by Rainmaker41 »

We cancelled our April trip.

We were originally planning to travel in Q4 this year, but are holding off on booking anything.

1. Neither feasibility nor advisability of travel in 2020 is clear.
2. If we booked something, the ability to be refunded later on is not clear.
vveat

Post by vveat »

We cancelled April and May plans, but are still sitting on the July plan to sail in Greece, will have to see what is open by then. On one side Greece had pretty good containment measures and low rates of infection, and sailing is a solitary activity by nature. On the other side we'll have to be able to fly in without required 14 days isolation, the charter base has to be open and the islands have to allow mooring and recharging. I would put it at 50/50 chance at most.

That trip is easiest to cancel anyway (airlines miles for the flights, almost free boat use, one refundable hotel), so no problem to wait till last minute. The April and March reservations were royal pain to cancel and for one set of UA flights ended up with credit to use by 2020 year end. :annoyed
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

goaties wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:09 pm I am set to van camp, but the problem is that there are precious few places to go. State parks, national parks, even many forest service roads are closed. Van (or RV) camping is well-suited to covid-times as you can pretty much avoid other peoples' germs. Well, except for when you have to stop for gas, empty the porta-potty, or buy groceries. Still, there are ways to handle those actions safely too.

But the main problem remains that The Great Outdoors seems largely closed to camping for now. I'd be interested in how other van/RV campers are considering working around these limitations.
I had been considering buying an(other - had one before) RV just before Covid-19 happened, but as you point out there's not much point to having one now because there so few places to go with it.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

goaties wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:09 pm I am set to van camp, but the problem is that there are precious few places to go. State parks, national parks, even many forest service roads are closed. Van (or RV) camping is well-suited to covid-times as you can pretty much avoid other peoples' germs. Well, except for when you have to stop for gas, empty the porta-potty, or buy groceries. Still, there are ways to handle those actions safely too.

We have a small Class B RV and are in a wait and see pattern. Will probably try for some short trips rather than multi week ones at this point.

Sigh, very frustrating but I agree with sheltering in place.

Fortunately , compliance is high in our area and the curve has flattened,

Can’t wait to get our kayak in the water again.

I follow some of the RV groups on FB for more up to date advice.

When things open. I am expecting it to be a zoo out there. Lot’s of pent-up demand.

Best of luck!

WoodSpinner
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

tibbitts wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:05 pm
Maybe I'm missing the point but isn't "visiting" someone not a member of your household in their residence supposed to be off-lmits? I don't see that being family or not would be a factor.
I know you didn't ask/quote my post, but since I mentioned family visits as potential activities for 2020: you are right, visiting non-household family/friends is off limits where we are and where we would go at this time, and we don't plan to violate local regulations or best practices (my wife's a doc). Our family visits would only happen when restrictions are removed *and* our own assessment of community spread data is that it is relatively safe for everyone involved. We have no desire to put our 70-80+ year-old parents at risk just so we can experience a change of scenery.
Michread

Post by Michread »

We plan to go ahead with our scheduled cruise from Boston to Canada in September if it sails.

It all depends on your age and health. We are in our 50s and healthy. If you are elderly and/or have any health concerns- stay home. That is not us.

As Thomas Friedman of the NYT said, it’s all about immunity. We are a nation of unhealthy people that is causing many to not be able to handle this virus. The focus should be on health and wellness, not vaccines.

In my state:
average age of death is 82
average age of hospitization is 69
98% have comorbidities
Early retirement 2018
delamer

Post by delamer »

Michread wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:05 pm We plan to go ahead with our scheduled cruise from Boston to Canada in September if it sails.

It all depends on your age and health. We are in our 50s and healthy. If you are elderly and/or have any health concerns- stay home. That is not us.

As Thomas Friedman of the NYT said, it’s all about immunity. We are a nation of unhealthy people that is causing many to not be able to handle this virus. The focus should be on health and wellness, not vaccines.

In my state:
98% have comorbidities
Seems to me that the focus should be on avoiding spreading the virus within your community (city, county, state, country, world) which puts healthcare workers and other essential workers at risk, in addition to the elderly — regardless of your personal health situation. People can be asymptomatic and still be carriers.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Onlineid3089 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:39 pm
midareff wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:59 am We cancelled all travel plans. Older retired couple with multiple risk factors. Could not and will not consider traveling again outside the US without 100% successful immunization, or within without 100% successful treatment available everywhere.
What would define 100% successful immunization or 100% successful treatment?
That's easy... 100% chance it doesn't kill me or my wife.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Michread wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:05 pm We plan to go ahead with our scheduled cruise from Boston to Canada in September if it sails.

In my state:
98% have comorbidities
I'm healthy too, but I thought it was all about being a good person and looking out for my family and community. Even the old ones. Do unto others, and all that. Personally, I'd feel horrible if I got it and then passed it on to someone and they got really sick.

But hey, they're old. They don't contribute anything to the economy anymore, right?
doob

Post by doob »

May: Spain (cancelled)
June: Turkey (waiting on airline to cancel as I will not; hotels already cancelled)
July: Armenia + Georgia (the country) (will cancel closer to date)
November: Morocco (still on; will reassess closer to date)
December: road trip from Paris to the Balkans (still on; will reassess closer to date)

That said, realistically speaking I think all trips this year will be write-offs.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

quantAndHold wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:12 pm

In my state:
98% have comorbidities
I'm healthy too, but I thought it was all about being a good person and looking out for my family and community. Even the old ones. Do unto others, and all that. Personally, I'd feel horrible if I got it and then passed it on to someone and they got really sick.
Personally, my main concern when I consider activities like travel is not my own risk, which appears low, but far more significantly the risk that I might contract it and pass it along to a high risk person.

Regardless, decisions have to be made about when to resume more normal activity levels. Those with political authority will make policy decisions, hopefully well-informed by what researchers are estimating the consequences will be. Following each stage of policy decisions, individual decisions still need to be made based on each individual's risk level, and the risk level of people they anticipate being around.

The "if it sails" qualifier basically means that poster will follow the policy decisions. That particular policy is significant as the cruise industry is currently under a no-sail order determined as necessary by the CDC and enforced under the Coast Guard's jurisdiction for safety at sea. The prior poster's attitude is, in a sense, deferring to health officials in the decision making, rather than relying primarily on their own judgement.
fatcoffeedrinker

Post by fatcoffeedrinker »

aprilcpa wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:46 am What is everyone doing with their travel plans for the rest of the year? We have several trips planned (some paid for) and I'm not sure what to do about them.

Niagara Falls/Pennsylvania in mid June - all reservations made and paid for
Wedding in Wisconsin in July
Orlando in November

We live in NC and were going to drive so no flying this year.
Flying to Maui in mid-July. Assuming the 14 day quarantine for incoming visitors has been lifted by then, we are definitely going.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

midareff wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:57 pm
midareff wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:59 am We cancelled all travel plans. Older retired couple with multiple risk factors. Could not and will not consider traveling again outside the US without 100% successful immunization, or within without 100% successful treatment available everywhere.
100% confidence will never exist. It doesn't exist for measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria, tetanus, or pertussis. It doesn't exist for influenza or even for the common cold.

So I think what you're really saying is you're waiting for a level of effectiveness comparable to what we've achieved for those other illnesses, or perhaps until there are zero or very close to zero reported cases in the locations you would travel to and from.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

fatcoffeedrinker wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:58 pm
aprilcpa wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:46 am What is everyone doing with their travel plans for the rest of the year? We have several trips planned (some paid for) and I'm not sure what to do about them.

Orlando in November

Flying to Maui in mid-July. Assuming the 14 day quarantine for incoming visitors has been lifted by then, we are definitely going.
Which...is exactly why it won’t be lifted by then.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

We have a paid reservations for a trip to Blowing Rock. We will probably cancel but we are keeping the option open for now. We will decide closer to a deadline where we might get most of our money back if the owner can re-book. After a certain date, we have no hope of any refund.

We are not planning any other trips.

We have already cancelled an non-refundable cruise in early March with my wife's 97 year-old mother. Instead we have her mother living with us so we can keep her isolated from exposures.
fatcoffeedrinker

Post by fatcoffeedrinker »

quantAndHold wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:11 pm
fatcoffeedrinker wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:58 pm

Orlando in November

Which...is exactly why it won’t be lifted by then.
Well then we won't go. But I do think it will be lifted by then. Hawaii is being decimated on the tourism front. Opening only locally will do very little to help the economy there. They need visitors.

And based on this thread so far, my flight will be nearly empty. Yeah!
midareff

Post by midareff »

iamlucky13 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:07 pm
midareff wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:57 pm
100% confidence will never exist. It doesn't exist for measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria, tetanus, or pertussis. It doesn't exist for influenza or even for the common cold.

So I think what you're really saying is you're waiting for a level of effectiveness comparable to what we've achieved for those other illnesses, or perhaps until there are zero or very close to zero reported cases in the locations you would travel to and from.
Zero or very close to zero reported cases in the locations you would travel to and from don't mean anything in terms of the number of carriers. That would not be acceptable. It's about immunization and/or treatment, not exposure to others.
ugaDAWGS09

Post by ugaDAWGS09 »

We have an anniversary trip planned to St. John in mid June. They're supposed to be allowing tourists June 1st and unless something changes we are planning on going. Going to have to keep an eye on the re-entry quarantine.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

In my state:
98% have comorbidities
I think most people define "elderly" as one year older than they are.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I'm going to travel to Wuhan, China after all this settles down.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

We cancelled everything.

I suspect that either most things will still be closed, or will be open but a second wave resulting, even come fall.
Oilcans

Post by Oilcans »

Had China booked for April 2020. Will re-book at a later time.
Had Greece booked for May 2020 (right now.) Will re-book at a later time.
Have plans for Glacier National Park in July. Have heard that Yellowstone Park hotels and lodges will not open this summer so assuming Glacier will not be open either.
Have South America cruise with Holland America booked for November. Not too likely that will happen either.

Life is good!
Bir48die

Post by Bir48die »

Have an early November two week to Mexico. Will monitor things then decide. Have a three week to Mexico in Jan/Feb and doing the same.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

One of my cousins is (for now) getting married in Hawaii in December. As long as the wedding is on and planes are flying, I plan on attending.

My father turns 80 in August. My flight is booked, but the only way I will actually take it is if I can get tested right before the trip and confirm I am not a carrier.

Thanksgiving and Christmas is up in the air; I'll wait on further developments, but right now I'm expecting another outbreak in the fall, and probably won't be seeing my elderly parents.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

We had three trips and canceled all.
We will do some camping this summer and maybe a bike trip in the fall.

Not the year for big trips for me.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

flyingaway wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:37 pm Just from the CNBS news:

(NY governor) "Cuomo said nearly 84% of the hospitalized cases were people who were not commuting to work through car services, personal cars, public transit or walking. He said a majority of those people were either retired or unemployed. Overall, some 73% of the admissions were people over age 51."

It seems that staying at home is not so safe.
I read that. I am not surprised. The main age group involved was 60-80. I know so many in this group that are not staying home. They do not think “they” are elderly or high risk. One 70 year old neighbor spends 3 hours at Walmart twice a week and has not changed that. Others are visiting every senior shopping hour they can find, multiple trips a week, and somehow thinking that makes it risk free. This group that is going out unnecessarily also seems to be less proficient or knowledgeable about all those good habits like not touching their face. I wish we had more education out there on the proper way to use a mask, safely shop, etc. And, since the kids are out of school with no daycare available, some 60+ neighbors have the grandkids over ...grandkids living with essential workers.

We don’t yet know what we don’t know.

Therefore, we are planning on no travel and no Walmart visits this year. I am not specifically waiting for a miracle cure or a vaccine because this might not happen for years. But I am waiting for the scientific community to have a better grasp on how it is spreading, who needs hospitalized, what are best practices, etc.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Olympics were postponed, so no Tokyo.

All seminars cancelled, so no business travel.

Hopefully some campgrounds will open eventually. I will go do that.
Slowtraveler

Post by Slowtraveler »

So far, I'm in my 3rd country this year. Was planning 5 more but may end up being just 1 or 2 more as slow travel seems the better choice in these times so I can keep a store of food and basic goods if another (expletitive personally removed) lock down happens.
Daphne122

Post by Daphne122 »

The trip I had planned to Phoenix in April was cancelled for me by AirBnB. I ended up cancelling the flights and getting credit for future travel. I was supposed to go to Europe in fall or spring of 2021 but that's unlikely.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:50 pm
flyingaway wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:52 am
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:18 am All my travel plans (other than a walk around the block) are indefinitely postponed.

The level of complacency I’m seeing around here is mindBogling. It’s like we’re asking for a second wave.
What is the alternative? Never go out again?
What about if there will be no vaccine? How about the virus coming back no matter what?
Why are you assuming that travel is the natural, normal state of affairs?

It wasn’t so long ago that the vast majority of people never left a 10 mile radius of where they were born.
No offense, but this is the most unintelligent comment I’ve seen on this board.