2020 travel plans

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
aprilcpa

2020 travel plans

Post by aprilcpa »

What is everyone doing with their travel plans for the rest of the year? We have several trips planned (some paid for) and I'm not sure what to do about them.

Niagara Falls/Pennsylvania in mid June - all reservations made and paid for
Wedding in Wisconsin in July
Orlando in November

We live in NC and were going to drive so no flying this year.
runner3081

Re: 2020 travel plans

Post by runner3081 »

Not sure this will stay up long, not really actionable, but I will play :)

Only trip planned is to the coast in California.

It is in early July. We will be driving and staying in an AIRBNB (one we have stayed in before).

Assuming the beaches are open, we are absolutely going. Our beach vacation is usually 2-3 hours at the beach in the morning and then just walking around and relaxing the remainder of the day, should be easy to social distance.

A trip earlier this year was cancelled, were going to surprise our daughter with her first trip to Disneyland, were ready to go, then Disney closed 3-days before out trip was to happen.
msi

Post by msi »

We are definitely not going on the cruise we had planned for in July...

Probably just end up with short trips to places we can drive to.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

We have cancelled 2 trips already, to New Orleans in March and Wisconsin for Memorial day. This number rises to 7 if you count weekend trips to out-of-state sports tournaments that are no longer happening. The first of these would have been this past weekend.

We do have a trip to Las Vegas scheduled for late July that we're still planning on going, provided the shutdown there doesn't drag out and cancel it for us. And then we're either going to Wisconsin or Florida in October.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

We cancelled everything or it was cancelled for us. Still waiting on refunds for our flights through expedia which has been a major PIA to deal with. For the rest of the year, anything we go to will be within driving distance and not paid for in advance.
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE »

All my travel plans (other than a walk around the block) are indefinitely postponed.

The level of complacency I’m seeing around here is mindBogling. It’s like we’re asking for a second wave.
MyObjectivism

Post by MyObjectivism »

My only international trip planned this year post retirement (which is June 2020) is to watch World Cup T20 cricket tournament in Australia during Oct/Nov 2020.

Not sure whether event continues or else postpone to next year. If event happens and Australia allows visitors to watch cricket matches then will travel.

Remaining trips are all minor and domestic travel and hope those will happen.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

aprilcpa wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:46 am What is everyone doing with their travel plans for the rest of the year? We have several trips planned (some paid for) and I'm not sure what to do about them.

Orlando in November

We just cancelled a week-long trip to Hilton Head in June. Full refund from VRBO on the house. I have also cancelled two golf trips in the next few months. I just don't feel comfortable traveling right now and probably won't until the Fall at the earliest. I'd say your Niagara Falls is in jeopardy as is the wedding. We had two weddings this summer (one in June and one in mid-July) and both have been delayed/postponed to the Fall.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:18 am All my travel plans (other than a walk around the block) are indefinitely postponed.

The level of complacency I’m seeing around here is mindBogling. It’s like we’re asking for a second wave.
This, in many places in the country.
(Not our location, which is pretty much shut down, which is FINE with us!).

We've cancelled ALL 2020 trips - had several planned.
The on conference in April was rescheduled for July and then cancelled entirely.

Thank goodness for Zoom, at least... to salvage a few things...

And it's very likely we'll get a 2nd wave, and probably more... unless there is a vaccine.
The main question is how bad will it/they be, in terms of swamping medical care, and that depends upon behavior...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

Have a trip to Nashville in October that the AirBnb already canceled. Figure it was nice of them to do it this early as we had plenty of time to find and book backup options. However, if nothing changes, we will not be going.

Also have more local(ish) weddings within driving distances. They all have guest lists over 200 and we are not family so will regrettably also not attend those without a vaccine/cure.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:18 am All my travel plans (other than a walk around the block) are indefinitely postponed.

I'm sorry you think that the world is going to end because my family that is likely already immune (we think we all had this in Jan/Feb) is going to fly in an otherwise empty FC cabin where all of the air passes through a HEPA filter every two minutes, to a place that is 114 degrees (transmission of coronaviruses drops 2% with each degree increase in temp) with UV radiation off the charts (UV radiation is an extremely effective sanitizer), to hang out at a historically uncrowded pool that is chock full of sanitizer.

I'm absolutely doing my part--we make one grocery trip every two weeks, and half of our household has literally not left home even once in 8 weeks--but I'm not going to put my family's life on hold forever. Well-reasoned caution is one thing, but living in fear is quite another.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

What is the alternative? Never go out again?
What about if there will be no vaccine? How about the virus coming back no matter what?
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

runner3081 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:00 am Not sure this will stay up long, not really actionable, but I will play :)
its completely actionable. Keep plans or cancel and possibly take a small financial hit. This is a very common question on this board. :beer

---
my family that is likely already immune (we think we all had this in Jan/Feb)
new studies show C19 was already circulating in 2019. I believe it went through my work this past spring as well. But, do not want to derail the thread.
Last edited by F150HD on Wed May 06, 2020 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
midareff

Post by midareff »

We cancelled all travel plans. Older retired couple with multiple risk factors. Could not and will not consider traveling again outside the US without 100% successful immunization, or within without 100% successful treatment available everywhere.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I cancelled both my European trips, one for May 2020 and the other for October 2020. I didn't have specific domestic trips planned other than visiting my children at least once each. I've told them not to expect me until 2021. I'm simply not willing to place myself in airplanes, taxis, rental cars, hotel rooms, or restaurants as long as the virus is still not under control.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

We have canceled all plans for the year with one exception - we have a driving trip planned to the coast whereby we are renting a house in a small town and have private water access. Thus we will still be isolated - will see if we can go out to eat or end up cooking all food in. If we had to fly I probably would have canceled.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

flyingaway wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:52 am

What about if there will be no vaccine? How about the virus coming back no matter what?
Yes, that is correct. Never travel again if the virus is not brought under control. I don't like it, but I'd rather live than die.

Full disclosure: I have traveled a lot over the years, and I had been planning to keep taking 2-3 international trips a year for the next decade.
Last edited by UpperNwGuy on Wed May 06, 2020 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

If this thread stays focused on travel as an expense, an investment, an allocation of one’s budget, it should remain actionable and steer clear of the moderators. If, however, it becomes a surrogate for commenting on and criticizing those who are overreacting to or not taking seriously enough the current Covid crisis, then bring on the padlock and station the Dobermans.

Now, on to the OP’s question.

All of our May and June plans got shelved. We canceled a few things, and a few things got cancelled for us. For July? We have a driving trip through France, Belgium, and Germany planned. How likely is that? We have over 1.5 months to wait and see. The watchwords right now are flexibility, adaptability, and moderate-to-low expectations.

We really want that driving trip. But if it all gets cancelled, there will be other, less complicated, things to do. And maybe next July we can see the French countryside and the great museums of Belgium and eastern Germany.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

We have trips planned to Brazil in August and to Spain in September. I would put our odds of going at about 50% for Brazil and 75% for Spain. It all depends on what course the virus takes over the next few months.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

We’re postponing two trips. We’d planned to go to Las Vegas last month, primarily to see relatives, but also to get some time in at the pool. We’ll go eventually. Our trip to Hawaii has been postponed from this summer to next summer. It’s looking likely that we won’t travel this year.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

lazydavid wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:44 am

I'm sorry you think that the world is going to end because my family that is likely already immune (we think we all had this in Jan/Feb) is going to fly in an otherwise empty FC cabin where all of the air passes through a HEPA filter every two minutes, to a place that is 114 degrees (transmission of coronaviruses drops 2% with each degree increase in temp) with UV radiation off the charts (UV radiation is an extremely effective sanitizer), to hang out at a historically uncrowded pool that is chock full of sanitizer.
A family member is an exec at a 2000 room hotel in a tourist destination. The hotel is closed, but they still have 2 guests, who are both quarantined. One is an American Airlines flight attendant, who got her positive test result an hour after she checked into the hotel, after flying across the country breathing on passengers. So you’ll forgive me if I don’t want to fly anywhere I don’t have to.

Everything we had planned got canceled (we were planning on spending 2 months in Europe this spring). We have a motorhome, and we might spend some time camping within a day’s drive of home. We’re playing it by ear right now, waiting and watching.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Honestly, I don't know how traditional weddings are going to happen until there is a vaccine. I can't imagine a worse scenario than pumping 200 people into a crowded dinner arrangement with buffet-style cocktail hour food, to then be seating at a crowded table with 9 other people, only for them to go get sweaty and breathe heavy on a crowded dance floor.

I personally would not attend a wedding until there is a vaccine and my best friend is getting married in October. They are likely rescheduling until June 2021. Another good friend already punted their June 2020 wedding into July 2021.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I had planned many trips for this spring and early summer - all cancelled. I had planned other trips for fall - the exact ones I had planned I won't be taking but I'm hoping I can do subsitute trips, maybe less wide-ranging. I don't think it will be possible to plan more than a few days in advance, given that closures could pop up or circumstances change at the last minute.

I do think this is actionable in that it's sort of asking if people are committing dollars to potentially non-refundable travel and for me that would be "not beyond what I already had committed to prior to Covid-19." So my financial losses are limited to about $6k potentially, but the losses in experiences are much greater.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I have cancelled most of my trips and waiting for cancellations of remaining ones.

NOTE that with airlines, it's worthwhile waiting until the last 30 hours, or so, in hope that they would cancel the flight for a cash refund. By contrast, if you cancel a flight, the best you can expect is a voucher or other credit towards future travel.

I am holding two nonrefundable reservations:
1) pre-paid 8-night stay at a NYC YMCA
2) pre-paid spa in the Czech Republic.

The YMCA told me that their guest rooms are open but NY State is closed for out-of-state travelers. If the state is still closed by the time of my planned travel, they would change my dates for a later time. In this case, I don't want a refund because I paid a ridiculously low price for staying in NYC.

For my Czech Republic spa in August, I hope that they are still closed for the Americans and would change my stay for the next year. I would prefer a cash refund, but it's unlikely.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
delamer

Post by delamer »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:05 am

Yes, that is correct. Never travel again if the virus is not brought under control. I don't like it, but I'd rather live than die.

Full disclosure: I have traveled a lot over the years, and I had been planning to keep taking 2-3 international trips a year for the next decade.
Planning travel for later this year is ignoring the high likelihood that they’ll be a second wave of Covid-19 this coming fall/winter.

I certainly wouldn’t commit any non-refundable money to a trip in 2020 or early 2021.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

We are expecting most things to be shut down (or limited to the point of annoyance) until next spring. So no travel for us for at least a year.

Which also means we probably won't take any vacation time away from work for a year. We'll bank it and spend the time if/when this blows over some day.
Last edited by vitaflo on Wed May 06, 2020 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Is anybody planning to travel to the 2020 Bogleheads conference if it takes place?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
FireHorse

Post by FireHorse »

We cancelled two scheduled trips, one is Asia in April and the other is cruise in November.
We are talking about a possible trip to the national parks in the late summer or early fall, the route is the following -
Mt. Rushmore, SD
Yellowstone, WY
Rocky Mountain, CO
Mt. Zion, UT
Grand Canyon, AZ

The biggest problem is how we get to Mt. Rushmore, SD as the first stop. Driving is too far from CT, flying is still questionable given the virus. Once we get to the first stop, we can rent a car and driving to different parks/states.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

VictoriaF wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:41 am I have cancelled most of my trips and waiting for cancellations of remaining ones.

NOTE that with airlines, it's worthwhile waiting until the last 30 hours, or so, in hope that they would cancel the flight for a cash refund. By contrast, if you cancel a flight, the best you can expect is a voucher or other credit towards future travel.

I am holding two nonrefundable reservations:
1) pre-paid 8-night stay at a NYC YMCA
2) pre-paid spa in the Czech Republic.

The YMCA told me that their guest rooms are open but NY State is closed for out-of-state travelers. If the state is still closed by the time of my planned travel, they would change my dates for a later time. In this case, I don't want a refund because I paid a ridiculously low price for staying in NYC.

For my Czech Republic spa in August, I hope that they are still closed for the Americans and would change my stay for the next year. I would prefer a cash refund, but it's unlikely.

Victoria
Last year, we bought nonrefundable United Airlines tickets to Asia in this May. We cancelled the trips in April before United announced the cancelling. I chose the full cash refund, my wife chose double credits, e.g., her ticket price was $700, the credit for future trips was $1,400.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

VictoriaF wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:52 am Is anybody planning to travel to the 2020 Bogleheads conference if it takes place?

Victoria
I think the odds of having a non-virtual 2020 conference of any kind, including Bogleheads, would be near-zero.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

One of the mentally frustrating aspects for me personally is the inability to make travel plans. That is much more annoying to me than putting on gloves and a face mask when going out once a week to buy groceries.

Since we are FIRE’ed, our schedule is flexible. My hope is that we’ll be able to go on some road trips on the west coast, perhaps to visit friends/family. Perhaps during the summer between the “waves”.

We have some travel credit that we might use to book a trip to Mexico in the fall. We won’t book any accommodations now and the airfare will be cancellable (back to travel bank credit).

I am also considering booking a trip to Europe (family visit) for the fall. Award tickets, so refundable.

No idea what the chance of those trips actually happening is at this time since both “waves” and travel/immigration restrictions are big unknowns, but the tickets would be refundable. Our seats would be in first/business class (for distancing and comfort reasons).
VictoriaF wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:52 am Is anybody planning to travel to the 2020 Bogleheads conference if it takes place?
I don’t plan on attempting to register if there is a physical conference this year.
Planner01

Post by Planner01 »

I had several business trips and personal international and also domestic trips planned. All cancelled. I even cancelled a trip I had scheduled to Chile/Brazil in January too and another trip to Japan Summer 2021. We will stay out and put that extra money towards the acceleration of the house payoff.
bligh

Post by bligh »

We have a trip to Japan planned for first half of July. Haven't pulled the trigger on the cancellations yet, but will most likely be canceling soon. I had given myself until mid may to make a final decision on how to proceed. It doesn't look like things will be sorted out by July, and as of right now Japan still has a lock down in place barring foreign visitors.
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE »

Why are you assuming that travel is the natural, normal state of affairs?

It wasn’t so long ago that the vast majority of people never left a 10 mile radius of where they were born.
Bogle7

2021+

Post by Bogle7 »

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:18 amAll my travel plans (other than a walk around the block) are indefinitely postponed.
Exactly.
Not getting on an airplane or sitting in a crowded restaurant until it is safe for an old fart of age 71 to travel.
We will continue to put money into our travel bucket and maybe double up in 2021/22.
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE »

lazydavid wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:44 am

I'm absolutely doing my part--we make one grocery trip every two weeks, and half of our household has literally not left home even once in 8 weeks--but I'm not going to put my family's life on hold forever. Well-reasoned caution is one thing, but living in fear is quite another.
A little more good old fashioned fear is exactly the prescription we all need right now.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:30 am
oxothuk wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:16 am We have trips planned to Brazil in August and to Spain in September. I would put our odds of going at about 50% for Brazil and 75% for Spain. It all depends on what course the virus takes over the next few months.
I'm shocked you would even consider going to Brazil. Somehow they've managed to bungle the virus response even worse than the United States has. I'd expect you'd have difficulties reentering the US after that trip.
I think Spain has already announced no nonessential foreign travel for the rest of the year. And I would put Brazil towards the bottom of the list of safe places to go.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

We have a car camping trip planned for this summer. I'm not changing plans at this time. No official or researcher is currently able to offer any information that would allow us to make a plan one way or the other several months out. It's a reminder of how overpopulated my area has become (relative to my perspective, that is) that many campgrounds have all their weekends booked for the full summer within hours of reservations opening each year. I'll risk losing the campground fee rather than cancel and risk being unable to rebook later.

We have tentative plans to visit my family in another state for Christmas, but haven't booked anything yet.

I'm also hoping to do at least one multiple night backpacking trip, but that's really more a matter of my work schedule since I won't be around anyone, unlike in a campground.

My wife will be going to a wedding reception on her side of the family. The original date has been cancelled, and it will be rescheduled based on how the situation evolves.

I think I'm one of many who is waiting to see what restrictions and official recommendations are in place before adjusting my plans.

At the moment, I am mainly focusing on limiting my financial exposure in case it proves necessary to change plans.
F150HD wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:58 am new studies show C19 was already circulating in 2019. I believe it went through my work this past spring as well. But, do not want to derail the thread.
The UCL study (see Reuters, how hard is it to provide a link, or at least a title reference?) appears to be basically confirming what researchers already knew, or at least assumed. I advise not reading out of Reuters' reporting on the study an interpretation of a significant change to the estimates of rates at which people are being infected but not diagnosed. Their conclusion is that human spread likely began in the fall of 2019, not very long prior to infection of the person currently identified as patient zero.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:30 am
oxothuk wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:16 am We have trips planned to Brazil in August and to Spain in September. I would put our odds of going at about 50% for Brazil and 75% for Spain. It all depends on what course the virus takes over the next few months.
I'm shocked you would even consider going to Brazil. Somehow they've managed to bungle the virus response even worse than the United States has. I'd expect you'd have difficulties reentering the US after that trip.
It’s a family visit and we would be in their apartment most of the time we were there. But right now the case counts in Brazil are still growing and the country is closed to foreign visitors anyway. We’ll see what things look like in early August and decide then.

In another year we may have enough evidence to judge which countries got it right.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:50 pm

It wasn’t so long ago that the vast majority of people never left a 10 mile radius of where they were born.
Awhile back, we took a multi month motorhome trip across the country and back. Made a point of talking to people along the way (I’m an extrovert, so it wasn’t exactly a stretch). The number of people we met who had never been more than 100 miles from where they were born was mind boggling. And that was in 2018.

I retired in 2017 in order to travel, so this whole situation is perplexing, to the point where I’ve considered just going back to work until it’s over. But one thing I’ve not considered is risking my life to see a monument or go to a beach. Travel is a luxury good, not a necessity.
LeftCoast

Post by LeftCoast »

We had big travel plans for this year -- Spain and Italy in May (as in today), and London in September. Both trips cancelled. Got refunds on flights and lodging, but could only get credits for train fares in Italy. Not going on any significant trip until there is a vaccine.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

iamlucky13 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:59 pm I'm also hoping to do at least one multiple night backpacking trip, but that's really more a matter of my work schedule since I won't be around anyone, unlike in a campground.
Make sure wherever you’re going is open to backpacking. I know they closed the PCT because when everything else closed, the PCT got overrun by day hikers who didn’t have anywhere else to go, and it was impossible to social distance. I suspect that’s going to be a theme until things are open everywhere. My brother went for a day hike to a place in the Bay Area where there’s normally not another soul, and had to fight crowds for the first several miles from the trailhead. He said it was scary.
iamlucky13 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:59 pm I think I'm one of many who is waiting to see what restrictions and official recommendations are in place before adjusting my plans.
Keep in mind that a lot of governments are relying on people to keep themselves safe, instead of providing any science based guidance on the level of risk.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

quantAndHold wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:54 pm I think Spain has already announced no nonessential foreign travel for the rest of the year. And I would put Brazil towards the bottom of the list of safe places to go.
If you happen to know of any formal announcements from Spain, I'd appreciate if you could share. I'm trying to plan some work that requires people travel from Spain to the US to continue our joint project. I've spent hours trying to find clear information from either US or Spanish governments in order to at least pencil in no-earlier-than dates.

The last information I found about Spain's "de-escalation plan" is that they currently expect (but have not made a commitment) that arrival of foreign citizens would continue to be restricted through October. If there is anything definitively indicating non-essential travel will be restricted from June through October or longer, and clarifying what defines non-essential (eg - business-essential, which I'm pretty sure for them this project is, versus more restrictive forms of essential travel), that will significantly reduce my stress at work. I'm currently juggling a range of plans, but I can't stop working on the optimistic plans without concrete information.
bligh

Post by bligh »

About 1.35 Million people died last year from car accidents. Why are we assuming that road travel is a natural, normal state of affairs?

It wasn't so long ago that the vast majority of people never owned, let alone traveled in a car. The car itself is a fairly recent invention, not much older than the airplane. People have been traveling by other means for far far longer.

---

All life ends in death. There is a line between reasonable caution and living in fear. Different people draw that line in different places.
btenny

Post by btenny »

We cancelled a large family reunion and week long visit the last week of March. My kids got flight vouchers good through 2021. We are supposed to get cash refunds for some hotel reservations but we have not received any money yet. We still want to see our kids and grand kids but TBD when and how. All live to far to drive. Plus my SIL is on no travel orders from the Army so he cannot go anywhere.

We also have a second home in Tahoe that we use a lot. We also have a home in Phoenix. We go back and forth often and stay awhile each trip. Normally we drive and stay 1-3 nights in different places during the trip. We usually leave Phoenix for the summer in late May or early June. With Covid I am sure we do not want to stay in a hotel so we will try to drive non stop. It is a 13 hour drive so a long trip.

Plus right now we are not allowed to go into Tahoe as non full time residents are not welcome. El Dorado county has enacted an indefinite closer notice for non full time residents. California has a similar shut down. Most stores and all the hotels and VBROs and Airbnb are closed. We cannot even launch our boat as the ramps are closed. So TBD if and when we can travel there.....

So TBD for now....
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

aprilcpa wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:46 am What is everyone doing with their travel plans for the rest of the year? We have several trips planned (some paid for) and I'm not sure what to do about them.

Orlando in November

In before close: We have cancelled all our plans for rest of the year. Just don't want to do it, before we know a vaccine is readily available which is not going to happen this year at the very lest! I have wondered getting long term rental on Cape Cod, but even that seems risky to me.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Just from the CNBS news:

(NY governor) "Cuomo said nearly 84% of the hospitalized cases were people who were not commuting to work through car services, personal cars, public transit or walking. He said a majority of those people were either retired or unemployed. Overall, some 73% of the admissions were people over age 51."

It seems that staying at home is not so safe.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

midareff wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:59 am We cancelled all travel plans. Older retired couple with multiple risk factors. Could not and will not consider traveling again outside the US without 100% successful immunization, or within without 100% successful treatment available everywhere.
What would define 100% successful immunization or 100% successful treatment?
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE »

bligh wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:27 pm

About 1.35 Million people died last year from car accidents. Why are we assuming that road travel is a natural, normal state of affairs?

It wasn't so long ago that the vast majority of people never owned, let alone traveled in a car. The car itself is a fairly recent invention, not much older than the airplane. People have been traveling by other means for far far longer.

---

All life ends in death. There is a line between reasonable caution and living in fear. Different people draw that line in different places.
The fact that your opinion is prevalent is exactly why I am not traveling any time soon.
Topic Author
aprilcpa

Post by aprilcpa »

TravelGeek wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:39 am One of the mentally frustrating aspects for me personally is the inability to make travel plans. That is much more annoying to me than putting on gloves and a face mask when going out once a week to buy groceries.

{/quote]

This describes me well. My kids are doing online school and we could (financially) go anywhere we wanted. But we can't go anywhere.