Plunger reccomendation for newer toilets

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jrbdmb

Plunger reccomendation for newer toilets

Post by jrbdmb »

I need a plunger recommendation for newer toilets that don't have a circular opening at the bottom or have a part that is cutaway / nonuniform. A standard plunger will not make a good seal and do a poor job of moving any blockage. Any suggestions?

(Non-emergency, but the recent thread on clogged sinks made me remember that I've wanted to ask about this for a while. :happy )
bob60014

Re: Plunger reccomendation for newer toilets

Post by bob60014 »

I use one that is flexible rubber, used for older and newer toilets.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-Beehi ... /203765220
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I asked my spouse, "How many times have you given the dog a bath in this bathtub?"
"Oh, I dunno. Maybe twice a year for the past 5 years?"
"And when was the last time you removed all the dog hair from under the stopper?"
"Never. Was I supposed to do that?"
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

livesoft wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:01 pm "Never. Was I supposed to do that?"
When they say this, they really mean “that’s your job, honey” :wink:
JPH

Post by JPH »

I actually joined a plumber's forum one time. :shock: The consensus was that it is never a good idea to use a plunger on a toilet. Supposedly it can damage the wax ring or force paper or other matter into the siphon. Now if I use one I'm careful to be very gentle.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

JPH wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:38 pm I actually joined a plumber's forum one time. :shock: The consensus was that it is never a good idea to use a plunger on a toilet. Supposedly it can damage the wax ring or force paper or other matter into the siphon. Now if I use one I'm careful to be very gentle.
Use a snake instead of a plunger.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

JPH wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:38 pm I actually joined a plumber's forum one time. :shock: The consensus was that it is never a good idea to use a plunger on a toilet. Supposedly it can damage the wax ring or force paper or other matter into the siphon. Now if I use one I'm careful to be very gentle.
I could see that happening if the blockage was after the wax ring. But in my experience most of the blockages are before it even gets to the wax ring (still within the toilet body) so there is no way the wax ring would see any pressure from plunging.
mhc

Post by mhc »

You could use a toilet auger. Of course you may not be able to store one next to each toilet. This could be embarassing for a guest if they have to ask you where you keep the toilet auger.
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

Consider the Oxo plunger/scrub brush combo. Store nicely, work well, Oxo sells the individual replacements.

We also keep an auger in the garage in a trash bag.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

When I was younger, work with the plunger or auger was required several times a week. This was the case on 1.6 gallon, 3.3 gallon, and even the "old workhorse" 5.0 gallon flush toilets.

Then we discovered the American Standard Champion toilet. It lived up to its claim of never requiring a plunger--and certainly not the auger. Have replaced every toilet in every house I've ever lived in with them, and haven't needed a plunger or auger in 25 years. On rare occasions a second flush is required, but that's the worst it ever gets.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

lazydavid wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:01 pm When I was younger, work with the plunger or auger was required several times a week. This was the case on 1.6 gallon, 3.3 gallon, and even the "old workhorse" 5.0 gallon flush toilets.

Then we discovered the American Standard Champion toilet. It lived up to its claim of never requiring a plunger--and certainly not the auger. Have replaced every toilet in every house I've ever lived in with them, and haven't needed a plunger or auger in 25 years. On rare occasions a second flush is required, but that's the worst it ever gets.
That’s the right answer, right there. For us, the Toto G-Max Drake is our toilet of choice, for that same reason. Not that plunging once in a while is a calamity, but the peace of mind knowing you will never have to do it is well worth it to us.

An online review we read said something like “I swear this thing could flush a dead cat”. So we bought it, and 10 years later have never had to use the plunger.
apex84

Post by apex84 »

I upgraded our most used toilet to a TOTO Drake Two-Piece Elongated 1.6 GPF Toilet. It was recommended on a plumbing forum and has performed as expected. Not only does it flush well despite the low water usage, it doesn't generate any visible droplets of water on the toilet seat (gross, but something I've noticed with other toilets).
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

lazydavid wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:01 pm When I was younger, work with the plunger or auger was required several times a week. This was the case on 1.6 gallon, 3.3 gallon, and even the "old workhorse" 5.0 gallon flush toilets.

The American Standard Champion toilet 4" flush valve is impressive. Puts the TOTO G-Max 3 incher, which I have, to shame.
LPSpecial

Post by LPSpecial »

We bought and installed a newer Kohler elongated toilet about 7 years ago at our previous home. It was definitely an upgrade for us. The first time we needed to plunge it, the old round standard plunger didn't work anymore. :oops:

A trip to Home Depot where I asked the question and was directed to a specific plunger type (Korky brand) that works very well with the elongated toilets. Problem solved. 8-)
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

wfrobinette wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:05 pm
Use a snake instead of a plunger.
This! We bought it and when properly used it can unclog without damaging porcelain.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

bob60014 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:59 am I use one that is flexible rubber, used for older and newer toilets.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-Beehi ... /203765220
+1

We had the same problem with getting a new toilet, then discovering the old plunger didn't work.

This Korky Beehive is more expensive, but it does the job. It is also much easier to operate because it is flexible.

I read the post about using a snake. Perhaps, but the Beehive plunger is actually pretty gentle.

Our second modern toilet was designed to never clog. I don't know if "never" is the right term, but it hasn't had a problem in a year of usage, and the toilet was the one that we clogged the most. It's the American Standard model that they advertise flushing lots of golfballs down without problems.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

jrbdmb wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:46 am I need a plunger recommendation for newer toilets that don't have a circular opening at the bottom or have a part that is cutaway / nonuniform. A standard plunger will not make a good seal and do a poor job of moving any blockage. Any suggestions?

(Non-emergency, but the recent thread on clogged sinks made me remember that I've wanted to ask about this for a while. :happy )
Buy a Toto toilet. I was never able to clog one when I had them.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

TOH did an interesting short on toilets a few months back. Supposedly flush problems can be caused by the little holes in the toilet rim getting plugged over time. Toilets that incorporate a separate water supply and well as "channel" to improve this rim wash might be the way of the future.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/bathrooms/ ... on-toilets
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

wfrobinette wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:43 am
jrbdmb wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:46 am I need a plunger recommendation for newer toilets that don't have a circular opening at the bottom or have a part that is cutaway / nonuniform. A standard plunger will not make a good seal and do a poor job of moving any blockage. Any suggestions?

Buy a Toto toilet. I was never able to clog one when I had them.
They are very good but even they clog to. Our's clogs I am guessing five times a year.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

pshonore wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:26 am TOH did an interesting short on toilets a few months back. Supposedly flush problems can be caused by the little holes in the toilet rim getting plugged over time. Toilets that incorporate a separate water supply and well as "channel" to improve this rim wash might be the way of the future.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/bathrooms/ ... on-toilets
We have really hard water and when the WC stopped flushing well (it wasn't clogged) we took a hard plastic tool used to pry open cell phones and the like, and scrapped those little holes.A little vvinegar helped along and solved the problem.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
whomever

Post by whomever »

I recently learned of the 'waste basket method'.

You need a smallish bucket (and the name comes from the fact that many bathrooms have a waste basket that works as an improvised bucket).

Fill the bucket with water and start pouring a small stream of water right over the downhole in the toilet, then rapidly elevate the bucket to shoulder height or higher and rapidly dump the bucket (you only start low to make aiming easier). The column of water dropping from head height lances right through the obstruction. IMHE it is way, way better than plungers.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

apex84 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:56 pm I upgraded our most used toilet to a TOTO Drake Two-Piece Elongated 1.6 GPF Toilet. It was recommended on a plumbing forum and has performed as expected. Not only does it flush well despite the low water usage, it doesn't generate any visible droplets of water on the toilet seat (gross, but something I've noticed with other toilets).
This is what we’ve had in our homes for over ten years. We have never had to plunge them, not once.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

I need help with how to use a plunger because apparently I'm not doing it right. I have an older toilet with the korky beehive mentioned a few times here. I think I have a partial blockage somewhere because I flush, the bowl fills but there's a pause before it leaves the bowl.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?