Amazon Prime Membership Question [Considering to drop membership]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
GiannaLuna

Amazon Prime Membership Question [Considering to drop membership]

Post by GiannaLuna » Mon May 04, 2020 11:08 am

**Understandably**, Amazon has mostly been delivering my packages in excess of 2 days, often up to 2-3 weeks since the beginning of March.

Basically, I am no longer receiving some of the value I pay for, with my monthly Amazon Prime payment.

I am considering dropping the membership, since the quick shipments have been the primary value to me.

Any of you experiencing the same or have you still been getting quick shipments or value from the membership?

I am surprised (perhaps I am naive) that Amazon has not offered to cut the membership price.

stoptothink

Re: Amazon Prime Membership Question

Post by stoptothink » Mon May 04, 2020 11:11 am

We were experiencing this way before the pandemic, which is why we cut Prime in the fall.

Mako

Post by Mako » Mon May 04, 2020 11:22 am

For us the occasional shipment has been later than normal, but most have been on time. I live < 30 minutes from three warehouses though so that surely makes a difference.

We use prime video all the time, at least my kids do, so that is additional value for us besides just the shipping.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:35 am

I was a Prime member for about 10 years, and am no longer with Prime. Though, I did not renew long before COVID. Basically, I never used the Prime Video benefit, and found myself usually spending $25 or more anyways.

TBH, it would be nice to forego the $25 minimum, but if I really need something quickly, I'll go to the store. The vast majority of what I need/buy is not an immediate need. Also, I have found that pre-COVID, Amazon was pretty good about getting stuff to me in basically the same timeframe as I did with a Prime membership. It's sort of in their interest to fulfill the order ASAP so that I cannot cancel and move my business elsewhere.

crefwatch

Post by crefwatch » Mon May 04, 2020 11:36 am

Your observation is correct. I also noticed slower deliveries before the pandemic. Amazon's public position is that they are prioritizing food and medicine and other pandemic essentials. With product shortages, there has been (in my own observation) an increase in third-party vaporware which gets cancelled near the federal deadline for mailorders, despite "tracking codes" "being issued." To me, that denigrate's Amazon's alleged high standards. But maybe that was always vapor, too!

You have to weigh your displeasure against your needs and wants. We find Prime Video very valuable. Two day delivery was never that important to us. We're keeping the product for now.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon May 04, 2020 11:38 am

I see some longer delivery times.

All told, I think delivery is not quite as good as it was a month ago, but do see one improvement (Sunday Delivery) that makes me optimistic about future improvements after the dust settles.

I like Amazon Prime Video which is another reason not to drop membership.

A disappointment: Whole Foods. I showed my Amazon app at the checkout and there were NO savings whatsoever. Clerk told me I need to look for specially marked price tags to see what items have "Prime" savings. Somehow I didn't have any of those things in my basket. What are the odds of buying a dozen or more items and NONE of them being eligible?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Mon May 04, 2020 11:41 am

I bought the monthly membership last month, I'll probably cancel it after 2 months.
Walmart delivery has been great for me. Their product selection and low prices are top notch.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon May 04, 2020 11:41 am

Some things are arriving earlier (even a lot earlier) than the estimate. But on the whole things are taking longer, which is not surprising. I understand the situation but wish Amazon (which is undoubtedly making more money because of the pandemic) would give its customers a bone, maybe a free six-month extension of Prime or something like that.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon May 04, 2020 11:43 am

Amazon has mostly been delivering my packages in excess of 2 days, often up to 2-3 weeks since the beginning of March.
there have been past threads on this....and is one reason I dropped Prime as I felt like I was paying for a service I was not getting.

When I order now, I just ensure I get the minimum $$ worth of items to qualify for the free shipping.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Mon May 04, 2020 11:51 am

F150HD wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:43 am
Amazon has mostly been delivering my packages in excess of 2 days, often up to 2-3 weeks since the beginning of March.
there have been past threads on this....and is one reason I dropped Prime as I felt like I was paying for a service I was not getting.

When I order now, I just ensure I get the minimum $$ worth of items to qualify for the free shipping.
My two young adult children and I share an Amazon prime membership. Delivery times have been slightly slower. I ordered art supplies from Walmart, and that took f o r e v e r. But my Keurig came really quickly through Walmart.I did not have any luck getting food through Amazon at the beginning of the physical distancing, and I quit trying. Last week I was able to get Instacart to shop for me at Costco, so that was great. I do watch Amazon Prime occasionally. I will probably keep it for now, as I really don't like running out for one or two items.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:54 am

I complained about not receiving what I’m paying for an received a 2 month extension on my service. If packages still are being delayed come June I will complain again.

I have no sympathy for Amazon. If they have so many orders that they have chosen to prioritize some over others, then it is a completely reasonable way to operate the business. But I am not paying them for the privilege of being deprioritized.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:11 pm

Like others I value the video membership quite highly and use it more than Netflix.

Packages and delivery times have varied a lot lately. Doesn't bother me at this time. More pressing matters.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:17 pm

I don't pay for prime. If I need something, it's easy enough to find other things I will actually need to add up to $25. Maybe one order I put in motor oil. The next an oil filter. If things are in stock in one of the local warehouses (closest one is about 9 miles away), they come pretty much next day by clicking the free shipping option. If it's from the middle of China, I guaranty that having fancy prime ain't going to get that thing her by tomorrow or anytime this week.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian » Mon May 04, 2020 12:19 pm

Despite living in a Major metropolitan area with multiple amazon warehouses nearby, all of my orders are taking at least a week to arrive now. Mind you, most of my orders are for books and other 'non-essential' items like that.
I'm not planning to cancel Prime for now, but i will request free Prime months for the months when Amazon was not delivering Prime benefits to me.

niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:19 pm

LilyFleur wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:51 am
Last week I was able to get Instacart to shop for me at Costco, so that was great.
I was surprised at how much margin instacart has on regular costco prices. I think you need to compare costco/instacart with amazon fresh for cost benefit analysis

ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee » Mon May 04, 2020 12:22 pm

I subscribed to watch The Expanse, and have actually enjoyed a lot of the other Prime Video options (it's the only place I can watch Scrubs, or Stargate, or Suits for example - and Marvelous Mrs Maisel and The Boys were actually quite fun watches), so I'm still getting value from it.

And all of my packages that were quoted with extended delivery items are still basically showing up in 2 days, so that's been okay.

Amazon *should* be spending some of their windfall to compensate their workers, but that's another subject entirely I suppose. For me, the Prime subscription is worth it for the video alone.

AAA

Post by AAA » Mon May 04, 2020 1:01 pm

I did the one month trial. One of my main reasons for doing so was to get Whole Foods deliveries but despite several attempts there never seemed to be an available delivery window. I later learned WF was not accepting new delivery customers. Also, Amazon deliveries were > 2 days, understandable during these times. As a result, I quit Prime when the month was up.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Mon May 04, 2020 1:02 pm

niceguy7376 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:19 pm
LilyFleur wrote:
Last week I was able to get Instacart to shop for me at Costco, so that was great.
I was surprised at how much margin instacart has on regular costco prices. I think you need to compare costco/instacart with amazon fresh for cost benefit analysis
I tried many times to get a delivery window from Amazon fresh, with no luck, and I quit trying. I did spot check the Costco receipt, and it looked like the same pricing as usual. I did give a big tip, though.

I really like the produce from Costco (I can plough through $7 worth of grape tomatoes in just a few days, and I had been eating only canned and frozen vegetables for a few weeks.) Also, their jars of marinated artichokes are really wonderful. I am not going out at all due to three high-risk conditions. Geez, I beat cancer 7 years ago, but evidently it's still considered a risk factor. It seems like our local Costco is now requiring customers to wear masks and are limiting the numbers of people inside. I am hoping I can get out and about before too long, but the locals are restless and are doing stupid things like protests while not wearing masks and not maintaining physical distancing. Evidently going to the beach during a pandemic is considered a Constitutional right by many in my city.

MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian » Mon May 04, 2020 1:20 pm

LilyFleur wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:02 pm
. . .
I tried many times to get a delivery window from Amazon fresh, with no luck, and I quit trying. I did spot check the Costco receipt, and it looked like the same pricing as usual. I did give a big tip, though.

I really like the produce from Costco (I can plough through $7 worth of grape tomatoes in just a few days, and I had been eating only canned and frozen vegetables for a few weeks.) Also, their jars of marinated artichokes are really wonderful. I am not going out at all due to three high-risk conditions. Geez, I beat cancer 7 years ago, but evidently it's still considered a risk factor. It seems like our local Costco is now requiring customers to wear masks and are limiting the numbers of people inside. I am hoping I can get out and about before too long, but the locals are restless and are doing stupid things like protests while not wearing masks and not maintaining physical distancing. Evidently going to the beach during a pandemic is considered a Constitutional right by many in my city.
Well folks tell us that the right to kill yourself is a constitutional right these days.

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Mon May 04, 2020 1:40 pm

My experience since beginning of March:
Most orders are delivered in 2 to 5 days from order date (before was typically 1 or 2)
A few outlying orders have taken much longer, but that was always clear when I placed the order
Amazon has been beating their projected delivery dates (shown at time of order) by a day or two for us
Pantry orders, which we had never used before, seem to be in the 1-2 week range, but always better than promised

No complaints given our stay-at-home orders here. I'll take it - orders might take a bit longer, but always 100% fulfillment. The 2-day shipping is/was only a small part of the value proposition for us. The other stuff is more important to us - streaming video, streaming music, cloud storage, no order minimums (except pantry), free Kindle books. We also appreciate the 5% back with Prime and Amazon Prime Rewards Visa.

We use plenty of other online sources too and find Amazon compares pretty favorably in delivery, most of the time. Price-wise, we always shopped competition and have seen both great and horrid prices from Amazon. More so now it seems.

Our verdict - we're keeping Prime.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Mon May 04, 2020 1:56 pm

MadHungarian wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:20 pm
LilyFleur wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:02 pm
. . .

Well folks tell us that the right to kill yourself is a constitutional right these days.
Which is why I am staying at home, far away from the crazies. If their irresponsible behavior only hurt themselves, that would make it a lot easier for the rest of us. One local on Facebook actually equated his demonstrating for the right to go to the beach as the moral equivalent as someone serving in the armed forces! The folks demonstrating this unsafe behavior call themselves "patriots." Some of these entitled twits wouldn't have lasted a week in World War II, whether serving on the front or back home dealing with rationing.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Mon May 04, 2020 2:05 pm

Please keep this on the topic.

That was whether Amazon Prime membership is worth the price. Not the part with coronavirus and beaches.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Mon May 04, 2020 2:15 pm

crefwatch wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:36 am
Amazon's public position is that they are prioritizing food and medicine and other pandemic essentials.
I wish. My Apple lightning to headphone adapter came in 2 days but still waiting on the kids' snacks. There is nothing on the planet you can plug in to that adapter to cover the sounds the kids were making when we ran out of Pirate's Booty.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Mon May 04, 2020 2:30 pm

Have always opted for free shipping which often arrives early. Never even considered Prime and try to avoid the annoying adds.

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Mon May 04, 2020 2:33 pm

We have Prime mainly for Prime Video, Music, Books, and photo storage...Shipping is secondary....

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

rterickson

Post by rterickson » Mon May 04, 2020 2:35 pm

bertilak wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:38 am

All told, I think delivery is not quite as good as it was a month ago, but do see one improvement (Sunday Delivery) that makes me optimistic about future improvements after the dust settles.

A disappointment: Whole Foods. I showed my Amazon app at the checkout and there were NO savings whatsoever. Clerk told me I need to look for specially marked price tags to see what items have "Prime" savings. Somehow I didn't have any of those things in my basket. What are the odds of buying a dozen or more items and NONE of them being eligible?
At least your Whole Foods purchases qualified for the 5% cash back on your Amazon Prime Visa Card, right?

I have cut back greatly on my Amazon purchases. I had been spoiled by their consistently good 2-, 1-, and same-day deliveries, but it seems now that anything I'm looking for is either not available at all or one to two weeks out.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Mon May 04, 2020 2:37 pm

Most of my shipments have been received in the normal time (usually 1-2 days), unless it is an item specifically in high demand now like masks or anti-bacterial wipes. Then again, there are several large Amazon distribution centers not too far from here.

In terms of the membership cost, when I renewed last Fall, I got a $40 discount for being a Veteran. I don't know if this is a one time thing or something that will be available again.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon May 04, 2020 2:43 pm

rterickson wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:35 pm
bertilak wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:38 am

At least your Whole Foods purchases qualified for the 5% cash back on your Amazon Prime Visa Card, right?
I don't have an Amazon card but my AMEX gives me 6% on groceries. I don't need to go to Whole Foods nor use the Amazon Prime app nor hunt for special price tags to get that!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon May 04, 2020 2:48 pm

I signed up for Prime less than a year ago. (Have already extended the subscription with special veterans' pricing last November.)

I don't buy a lot on Amazon, and during lockdown I have only ordered a few things. Most have come fairly quickly, like a day before the listed date. Most recently I ordered a cheap green sheet to use as a backdrop for Zoom meetings. I would have ordered an actual green screen, but the delivery date was a month out. The sheet was supposed to arrive in about 2 weeks. The delivery date changed several times and eventually the package showed up 4 days after the order was placed, and that was a day before the most recently posted delivery date.

I live near Portland, OR, so I think I may have an advantage for quick delivery -- as long as it's not due to products not being at the warehouse. Also, I have been watching quite a few movies of Prime and I download free books to my Kindle.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon May 04, 2020 2:54 pm

I live within 30 miles of two Amazon distribution centers, and about the only extended delivery items are medical supplies. They are longer delivery items, if available at all.

I learned long ago to not allow my supplies to get so close to being needed quickly. So, extended delivery times don't affect me much. Unavailable medical products are an issue.

One example was iodine swabs. Why was there a run on swabs? Are people injuring themseves? Makes no sense to me why iodine swabs or liquid iodine would be in short supply. Fortunately the supplies are available again. No idea why the previous unavailablity.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

FishTaco

Post by FishTaco » Mon May 04, 2020 3:03 pm

bryansmile wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:41 am
I bought the monthly membership last month, I'll probably cancel it after 2 months.
Walmart delivery has been great for me. Their product selection and low prices are top notch.
I agree with this. I've migrated mostly to Walmart and find the prices to be equal if not better, with much better shipping speed.

Cancelled Prime back in January and I'd be surprised if I ever go back.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Mon May 04, 2020 3:42 pm

LilyFleur wrote:
<snip>

I did not have any luck getting food through Amazon at the beginning of the physical distancing, and I quit trying.

<snip>
If you are referring to Amazon Whole Foods delivery, I find more delivery slots have become available over the past week or so, more than I have found since mid-March or so. Of course, this may be location-specific, but you may want to try again depending on your needs.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Mon May 04, 2020 4:15 pm

Summit111 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:33 pm
We have Prime mainly for Prime Video, Music, Books, and photo storage...Shipping is secondary....

Summit
Been a Prime member since day one. Originally got it for the free shipping, kept it for all the other benefits.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Mon May 04, 2020 4:31 pm

I use the $25 free shipping option, not Prime. Last month most things were on time or earlier than an estimated late date, one thing still hasn't shown up but it was estimated to arrive in May sometime. I like the discount points earned with an Amazon card, that makes Amazon my goto store. It's kind of touching, the way delivery time is set up as the most important measure of customer service, when none of the things I buy are very important or urgent.
18% cash 44% stock 38% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Mon May 04, 2020 4:59 pm

I have not even considered whether Amazon Prime was worth it or not. I buy most of my stuff online from Amazon and I have been very satisfied with their service so I guess I will continue Prime Membership out of loyalty. At the moment I understand that it is not their priority to stock and expedite gardening supplies, seeds etc that I am purchasing. As the wait time is so long I am getting up at the Home Depot at 6:00 a.m. to purchase the items that I would have ordered from Amazon previously.

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Mon May 04, 2020 5:07 pm

I’m a happy Prime customer. I’ve had it for so long now, I don’t know what all I get that others don’t, nor how much I actually pay for it. (it used to be $99/year, it sure how much now). The credit card gets me savings at Amazon which I’m sure amount to more than I spend on membership.

I’ve always been really happy with Amazon. The shipping times seem fine time, even now. ordered rice and toilet paper during the pandemic, and it showed up in about a week.

The expected shipping times they tell me are far longer than it actually takes. I guess they say that so I won’t be disappointed when it does take a week. Most stuff for me seems to be 2-4 days.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon May 04, 2020 5:17 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:54 am
I complained about not receiving what I’m paying for an received a 2 month extension on my service. If packages still are being delayed come June I will complain again.

I have no sympathy for Amazon. If they have so many orders that they have chosen to prioritize some over others, then it is a completely reasonable way to operate the business. But I am not paying them for the privilege of being deprioritized.
In Amazon’s defense, you’re being deprioritized so they can deliver stuff to hospitals.

Anyway, in the first 3 weeks of April, we quite literally couldn’t get *anything* except our normal subscribe and save, which came like clockwork. In the last week or so, things have been better. More stuff is in stock, and it’s getting shipped. We’re getting stuff in 3-4 days, which, given what’s going on, seems okay.

I haven’t tried to get anything delivered from Whole Foods, but the last time I went by there, they had taken a whole city block (both sides) as a staging area for their delivery operation. I assume if I can’t get delivery, it’s because they really, truly, don’t have the capacity.

We’ve kept Prime through all of this because we’ve been watching a lot of videos, and because they keep tossing free music subscriptions over the wall at us. No idea why.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon May 04, 2020 5:21 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:17 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:54 am

In Amazon’s defense, you’re being deprioritized so they can deliver stuff to hospitals.

Anyway, in the first 3 weeks of April, we quite literally couldn’t get *anything* except our normal subscribe and save, which came like clockwork. In the last week or so, things have been better. More stuff is in stock, and it’s getting shipped. We’re getting stuff in 3-4 days, which, given what’s going on, seems okay.

I haven’t tried to get anything delivered from Whole Foods, but the last time I went by there, they had taken a whole city block (both sides) as a staging area for their delivery operation. I assume if I can’t get delivery, it’s because they really, truly, don’t have the capacity.

We’ve kept Prime through all of this because we’ve been watching a lot of videos, and because they keep tossing free music subscriptions over the wall at us. No idea why.
That's fine if they've chosen to do that. In fact, I'm thrilled that they chose to do that. But then they owe me my money back or to extend my service, which they did.

ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob » Mon May 04, 2020 5:51 pm

Very happy with Prime. There have been only a couple delays on items we have purchased. Everything is usually here in ONE day as opposed to the normal two. My wife watches tons of stuff on Prime video since we've been locked down. Amazon has gone above and beyond every time we had reason to call with a problem- most of the problems were created by ME....It's a really good bang for the buck if you use it.

Bob

MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb » Mon May 04, 2020 6:04 pm

Love Prime. I'd pay for it just for the shipping. We have been making over 200 orders a year since at least 2016. Yes, I could queue things up and get the free shipping when I exceed $25. For me, it's worth it not to have to bother with that.

We have ordered very little recently. A few items have been a little slow and it feels like a lot fewer items I've wanted have been Prime items. I'll give them a pass while we get through this.

On top of the shipping, we watch about as much on Prime videos as we do Netflix. I use Amazon Music Unlimited and having Prime saves me money on that. I also do a lot of Kindle reading and enjoy getting a free book each month. We do a lot of business with Amazon, so it makes sense for us.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon May 04, 2020 6:26 pm

I had a complimentary Prime membership eight years ago when I bought a Kindle Fire. When it came time to pay money to continue that membership, I realized that I had seen no benefits from the trial membership, so I cancelled. I don't stream music or videos, so that narrows the tradeoff down to shipping. I've been combining my Amazon orders to get the free shipping without Prime, and I don't mind waiting 8-10 days for the delivery. Now that Amazon owns Whole Foods I have to endure the weekly questions from the cashiers as to whether I am a Prime member. I usually tell them that I am their one customer who is not a Prime member, and they often respond that a lot of their customers are not Prime members. Makes you wonder why Amazon purchased Whole Foods if so many of us Whole Foods customers prefer not to join Prime.

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Mon May 04, 2020 6:59 pm

Prime also makes the credit card 5% cash back. That's 2% extra. That alone pays for the $119 membership if you spend $6k/yr at Amazon. Not everyone spends that much but it's probably a good chunk of the cost before you even consider the occasional bonus cash back deals for prime only, the prime savings at whole foods, etc.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon May 04, 2020 7:07 pm

If it was just shipping Id consider dumping it, but with video which we use frequently and 5% cash back still a no brainer. Been using amazon more since the whole covid mess.

rob

Post by rob » Mon May 04, 2020 7:08 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Yeah but that's not what's happening - at least here. I've had several packages within 4-5 days and some are weeks... Heck I had a lawn mower delivered in 3 days.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Mon May 04, 2020 7:14 pm

GiannaLuna wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:08 am
**Understandably**, Amazon has mostly been delivering my packages in excess of 2 days, often up to 2-3 weeks since the beginning of March.

Basically, I am no longer receiving some of the value I pay for, with my monthly Amazon Prime payment.

I am considering dropping the membership, since the quick shipments have been the primary value to me.

Any of you experiencing the same or have you still been getting quick shipments or value from the membership?

I am surprised (perhaps I am naive) that Amazon has not offered to cut the membership price.
Yes, I agree with you. I am experiencing very long delivery times, contrary to my Prime Membership agreement.

I will be cancelling my Prime Membership this week for this very reason.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon May 04, 2020 7:42 pm

rob wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:08 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
Yeah but that's not what's happening - at least here. I've had several packages within 4-5 days and some are weeks... Heck I had a lawn mower delivered in 3 days.
Doesn't it sort of depend what is in stock? If it is not currently in stock, they have to wait for the shipment from their suppliers, whose delivery schedule may not be as reliable.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon May 04, 2020 8:20 pm

bryansmile wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:41 am
I've had the opposite experience. Everything I've bought from Amazon has arrived within a reasonable time frame (for me, this means around a week or less), and they've also quickly replaced things that were damaged/lost in transit.

However, my order from Walmart not only got lost in transit, I had to reach out to Walmart customer service three times over the course of a week to get past the chat bot and to an actual person for a refund. This was after waiting two weeks since the last FedEx tracking update for Walmart to do something automatically. I had to threaten to open a credit card dispute on the third attempt to actually get a person to call me back. My requests for callbacks on the first two attempts only resulted in getting sent a form email that did not address the problem.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Mon May 04, 2020 8:25 pm

they used to extend your membership by a month for each time they didnt meet the shipping deadline... no idea if they do this now...

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Mon May 04, 2020 8:57 pm

I am getting my orders in 1 to 30+ days so far. Spatulas must be high priority, since they arrived at my door in Los Angeles 2 days after their shipment from Chicago.

We all have our part to play. Sometimes when ordering from Amazon I feel just like Mr. Zorg. Push a button and so much activity!
https://youtu.be/krcNIWPkNzA?t=45
(You can stop at 1:40.)

Things from China not so much, but they are arriving. Two face masks sat in Customs for 12 days upon arrival in the US. Two others cleared with no delay. Two more haven't left China yet, or are buried deep in a shipping container currently sailing past Hawaii. All ordered the same day. I could also have stopped in at the local dry cleaners and bought as many as I like for the same price. :?:

rterickson

Post by rterickson » Tue May 05, 2020 10:24 am

dukeblue219 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:59 pm
Prime also makes the credit card 5% cash back. That's 2% extra. That alone pays for the $119 membership if you spend $6k/yr at Amazon. Not everyone spends that much but it's probably a good chunk of the cost before you even consider the occasional bonus cash back deals for prime only, the prime savings at whole foods, etc.
As a general FYI, the card has to be linked to your Amazon account as primary payment method in order to get the 5%. My wife's Amazon Visa was only paying 3% until we figured this out, then they upgraded to Prime automatically.