Best [BBQ grill] for the money?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RobLyons

Best [BBQ grill] for the money?

Post by RobLyons » Sun May 03, 2020 3:31 pm

Hello all !

So I tried to fire up old reliable today and it melted the knob and the first burner would not fire so I'm thinking it's time for a new outdoor BBQ grill. Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on best grills for the money?

Generally we have always bought the cheapest big box store grill and got a few years out of it.

I've been impartial to propane because of ease of use. Was thinking of the Weber Q 3200 Propane Gas Grill but open to suggestions (link below). Budget is under $500 preferred but willing to stretch a bit if it will last years longer.

Thanks! :sharebeer

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-57060001-Q ... B00FGEINVI
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

badger42

Re: Best BBQ for the money?

Post by badger42 » Sun May 03, 2020 3:40 pm

Most if not all of the Weber Q models use small, expensive propane cylinders, not the cheap standard 20lb ones.

The Wirecutter reviewed grills at https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-gas-grill/ and for your $500 budget, really liked the Weber Spirit II E-310.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sun May 03, 2020 3:42 pm

We have had a Weber E-310 for a couple years now and it works well for us. Its outdoors all year is low maintenance and always fires right up. The Weber it replaced was 20 years old and I expect to get the same mileage from this one.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun May 03, 2020 4:00 pm

I have a Weber Spirit E-310 that I bought in 2007 that is still going strong. My first Weber after buying the typical Home Depot $200 grills that would last 5 years or so. I’ve replaced a few parts on the Weber (flavorizer bars, thermometer, burners) but those parts have been inexpensive, readily available and easy to install.

Afty

Post by Afty » Sun May 03, 2020 4:02 pm

RobLyons wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:31 pm
Hello all !

So I tried to fire up old reliable today and it melted the knob and the first burner would not fire so I'm thinking it's time for a new outdoor BBQ grill. Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on best grills for the money?

Generally we have always bought the cheapest big box store grill and got a few years out of it.

I've been impartial to propane because of ease of use. Was thinking of the Weber Q 3200 Propane Gas Grill but open to suggestions (link below). Budget is under $500 preferred but willing to stretch a bit if it will last years longer.

I’ve had an earlier version of that exact Weber grill for over 10 years. It’s still going strong. I replaced the grates a few years ago but otherwise have not had to repair anything on it. Highly recommended!

Afty

Post by Afty » Sun May 03, 2020 4:03 pm

badger42 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:40 pm
Most if not all of the Weber Q models use small, expensive propane cylinders, not the cheap standard 20lb ones.

The Wirecutter reviewed grills at https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-gas-grill/ and for your $500 budget, really liked the Weber Spirit II E-310.
This particular grill uses a full sized propane tank. It says so in the Amazon description.

bbqguru

Post by bbqguru » Sun May 03, 2020 4:08 pm

For roughly the same money, skip the Weber Q and look at the Spirit 210 or 310. Much better warranty and features for roughly the same money.

If you can find a Spirit II 210 or 310, jump on it. It's got a 10 year "bumper to bumper" warranty, including the ignitor. Weber discontinued the design this year and went back to the traditional Spirit design, including the reduced warranty.

The Spirit 310 cooking surface is about 4 inches wider than the 210. If you don't need the size and/or extra burner for indirect cooking, the 210 grill will handle anything you throw at it.

shunkman

Post by shunkman » Sun May 03, 2020 4:29 pm

badger42 wrote:
I've been running my Weber Q on a standard 20lb tank since I purchased it about 12 years ago. The tank adapters are cheap. The Weber Q has been a good choice for me. It gets used about twice a month year-round. I am on my third burner though. But the burners are cheap and easy to replace too.

I am considering upgrading to a Weber Spirit II.

bbqguru

Post by bbqguru » Sun May 03, 2020 4:52 pm

Afty wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:03 pm
badger42 wrote:

This particular grill uses a full sized propane tank. It says so in the Amazon description.
The Q3000 series uses 20lb cylinders. It's the 1xxx and 2xxx that use the portable tanks.

rockonhumblepie

Post by rockonhumblepie » Sun May 03, 2020 5:06 pm

I bought a 3 burner Broil King at Lowes 5 years ago and has been great.
Solid and well made.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Sun May 03, 2020 5:33 pm

Agree on the Spirit 310. I've had ours for 8 years, replaced the grates and flavorizer bars last spring. People overestimate how much grill space they need, I've cooked plenty of meals for 8-10 adults on it, and it also conserves propane

bbqguru

Post by bbqguru » Sun May 03, 2020 5:43 pm

fishmonger wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 5:33 pm
Agree on the Spirit 310. I've had ours for 8 years, replaced the grates and flavorizer bars last spring. People overestimate how much grill space they need, I've cooked plenty of meals for 8-10 adults on it, and it also conserves propane
I agree with this. The nice thing is you don't have to use all the burners, only the ones you need.

I had a grill supplier give us a new 3 burner grill as a housewarming present when we built our current house. It retails for around $14,000. I have it on good authority it cooks no better than the Spirit 310.

The best advice I can give is make sure you clean it annually and register for the warranty. We sell 3 brands of grills in our retail store. At one time it was 6, but when you start comparing them, there's only so many ways to skin the cat.

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Sun May 03, 2020 5:45 pm

Eastern-style Carolina chopped pork.

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Sun May 03, 2020 6:03 pm

Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 5:45 pm
Eastern-style Carolina chopped pork.
Nah.... Kansas City style
There's a reason why the " American Royal" is in KC!

https://www.americanroyal.com/bbq/

...and we use a pellet grill. Costs a bit more, but ours is going strong for seven years (so far) and puts out better BBQ than any propane style that we've had before.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun May 03, 2020 6:05 pm

bbqguru wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 5:43 pm
fishmonger wrote:
I agree with this. The nice thing is you don't have to use all the burners, only the ones you need.

I had a grill supplier give us a new 3 burner grill as a housewarming present when we built our current house. It retails for around $14,000. I have it on good authority it cooks no better than the Spirit 310.

The best advice I can give is make sure you clean it annually and register for the warranty. We sell 3 brands of grills in our retail store. At one time it was 6, but when you start comparing them, there's only so many ways to skin the cat.
I assume one is Weber. The other two?

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun May 03, 2020 6:14 pm

Weber genesis about $800 at big box stores. Expensive but 100% worth it in the long run. Buy the best, maintain it and keep it clean and it will last forever, and more importantly it will be easier to cook great food.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Genes ... /307574930

international001

Post by international001 » Sun May 03, 2020 6:36 pm

RobLyons wrote:
Hello all !

How do you plan to get indirect heat from that one?

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sun May 03, 2020 6:37 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:14 pm
Weber genesis about $800 at big box stores. Expensive but 100% worth it in the long run. Buy the best, maintain it and keep it clean and it will last forever, and more importantly it will be easier to cook great food.

What differences are there between Genesis and Spirit series? Genesis models are a little more expensive than Spirit series. Are Genesis models worth the higher cost? Cheap brands such as Char Broil rust out quick.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sun May 03, 2020 6:48 pm

Weber spirit has been great for me.

I had a Char-Broil that was like new when given to me by a friend. I kept it covered, but it still managed to rust out within 2 seasons, to the point that I couldn't stomach the idea of cooking on it. The Weber has been rock solid, even exposed to elements (though I prefer to keep mine mostly covered, easier to keep the tree debris off it.)

FinTruth

Post by FinTruth » Sun May 03, 2020 6:50 pm

I think it depends on how you cook. I have a Weber Q that I use for camping, it is great, but I do not think I could cook a charred steak with it. It simply does not get hot enough. I also had another Weber grill that also did not get hot enough for me.

I went with this one a few years ago, when it was $399:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nexgrill-De ... /206362574

Been using it for about 3-4 years, it has been amazing. I bought an adapter kit for natural gas connection to the home. It gets to 600-700 degrees in no time, can char 5 steaks for the whole family (probably can fit 10+ steaks), comes with rotisserie. It is one of the lower end grills, but it has stainless steel burners with 8 years of warranty, cast iron grates, and cooks amazing. Gets hotter than any previous grill I have owned.

My suggestion, if you do not need a super large or super hot grill:
go with the Weber, it will last longer.
If you need super high heat for grilling amazing restaurant quality steaks, decent longevity:
go with the grill above

international001

Post by international001 » Sun May 03, 2020 6:55 pm

FinTruth wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:50 pm
I think it depends on how you cook. I have a Weber Q that I use for camping, it is great, but I do not think I could cook a charred steak with it. It simply does not get hot enough. I also had another Weber grill that also did not get hot enough for me.
What temperature do you get with it? I can get 550F-600F with it. Do you have cast iron grates?
Usually, the problem I have is the oppossite. I cannot cool it down enough (or put it into a lower burner) to finish it with indirect heat

bbqguru

Post by bbqguru » Sun May 03, 2020 7:09 pm

bbqguru wrote:
fishmonger wrote:

Weber, Broilmaster, and Big Green Egg. Weber is our best selling brand. Big Green Egg has a good following as well. Broilmaster is a solid built (but ugly) grill with a lifetime warranty on virtually everything.

FinTruth

Post by FinTruth » Sun May 03, 2020 7:10 pm

international001 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:55 pm
FinTruth wrote:
What temperature do you get with it? I can get 550F-600F with it. Do you have cast iron grates?
Usually, the problem I have is the oppossite. I cannot cool it down enough (or put it into a lower burner) to finish it with indirect heat
The three burner Webers have about 30k BTU. The Nexgrill is 60k BTU, twice the heat.

I was usually able to get larger Weber to around 500 degrees, maybe a little higher, but it took forever. The Weber Q I have is great for camping, it does not have a thermometer, but I am sure it does not get too hot. I warm it up for 20 minutes to start cooking chicken. If I opened the lid on either, it would take minutes to get back to high heat. I did have cast iron grates. The Nexgrill I use above gets to 650 or higher depending on ambient temp, in no time. I can cook restaurant quality medium rare steaks in just a few minutes, including warm up. The heat output cannot be compared to my previous Webers. Family raves about the food on the Nexgrill as well.

Just did a quick google search, but it is interesting that this analysis reflects my personal experiences:
https://www.consumerreports.org/gas-gri ... ot-enough/
Last edited by FinTruth on Sun May 03, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bbqguru

Post by bbqguru » Sun May 03, 2020 7:18 pm

MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:37 pm
jabberwockOG wrote:

What differences are there between Genesis and Spirit series? Genesis models are a little more expensive than Spirit series. Are Genesis models worth the higher cost? Cheap brands such as Char Broil rust out quick.
Before Weber sold to private equity, the Spirit lineup was made in China. The Genesis was made in Chicago. Now they're all made globally with the exception of the Q, Smoke Fire (pellet), charcoal, and Summit series.

The way I explain it to people is that the Genesis gives you some extra features and I would strongly recommend it if you grill multiple times per week. It's built heavier and overall a great grill. The biggest selling feature was it was USA made and you could get stainless burner covers and grates without having to upgrade to the all stainless models.

Genesis has a Special Edition (SE) line that is sold by independent retailers. The difference was a couple of exclusive colors, but the biggest was you got stainless burner covers and cooking grates. The SS upgraded the warranty from 2 years on burner covers and 3 on cooking grates to a flat 5 years on both. The price different was $50 and well worth the upgrade.

If you're going to get a Genesis, the SE-310 is worth the increase in price over the E-310. We carry both models in our store, but the SE far outsells the E.

Quick Summary:

Spirit have warranty from 2-15 years depending on part.
Special Edition Genesis: SS "guts" with 5 year warranty. (Same as the standard stainless models)
Spirit II and Genesis II have a 10 year "everything" warranty.

Weber has been changing the warranty on their grills over the past year or so. It's challenging to keep up. It used to be standard across the "family" of grills, but it's to the point I have to look it up when people ask. Frustrating, but what can you do....

Atomic

Post by Atomic » Sun May 03, 2020 7:58 pm

Been loving this one;
https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/elec ... 20001.html
Electric has been cheaper, easier, an produces amazing tasting grill work.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sun May 03, 2020 8:06 pm

bbqguru wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:18 pm
MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:37 pm
jabberwockOG wrote:

Before Weber sold to private equity, the Spirit lineup was made in China. The Genesis was made in Chicago. Now they're all made globally with the exception of the Q, Smoke Fire (pellet), charcoal, and Summit series.

The way I explain it to people is that the Genesis gives you some extra features and I would strongly recommend it if you grill multiple times per week. It's built heavier and overall a great grill. The biggest selling feature was it was USA made and you could get stainless burner covers and grates without having to upgrade to the all stainless models.

Genesis has a Special Edition (SE) line that is sold by independent retailers. The difference was a couple of exclusive colors, but the biggest was you got stainless burner covers and cooking grates. The SS upgraded the warranty from 2 years on burner covers and 3 on cooking grates to a flat 5 years on both. The price different was $50 and well worth the upgrade.

If you're going to get a Genesis, the SE-310 is worth the increase in price over the E-310. We carry both models in our store, but the SE far outsells the E.

Quick Summary:

Spirit have warranty from 2-15 years depending on part.
Special Edition Genesis: SS "guts" with 5 year warranty. (Same as the standard stainless models)
Spirit II and Genesis II have a 10 year "everything" warranty.

Weber has been changing the warranty on their grills over the past year or so. It's challenging to keep up. It used to be standard across the "family" of grills, but it's to the point I have to look it up when people ask. Frustrating, but what can you do....
Thanks. :beer Great advice.

Done deal. My next barbecue grill will be a Weber Genesis SE-310. We are heavy grill users. Grilling of any meat or fish is done outside all year around (sunny N. Cal).

glock19

Post by glock19 » Sun May 03, 2020 8:54 pm

RobLyons wrote:
Hello all !

In Texas the phrase "BBQ grill" would be considered sacrilege. Barbecuing is done with a smoke pit, not a grill. It is accomplished by slow cooking meat with a form of indirect heat, i.e. smoke (usually provided by hickory or mesquite wood, but not limited to those choices).

Meats that are "grilled" are cooked over direct heat (usually provided by natural gas, propane, or the "gold standard" charcoal.

Now that I've got that admonishment out of the way, I'm really happy with the Webber "grill" I bought last year. Good cookin' ya'll!

rich126

Post by rich126 » Sun May 03, 2020 8:59 pm

I prefer to go the cheap route and keep it under $200 and closer to $100. That way if it lasts for a while it is a bonus. And since I'm not a fan of cleaning them, when it gets too grimy I can toss it. Spending $500+ for a grill is pretty crazy to me. I think my last one in AZ lasted me about 6-7 years and I gave it to a friend when I moved. Currently I don't have one since I've found how well a broiler cooks burgers and hot dogs. Well cooked but juicy and hot.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun May 03, 2020 9:14 pm

international001 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:55 pm
FinTruth wrote:
Our Q1000 will get to 600 degrees without too much trouble. For 2 people it’s a really nice grill. We grill nearly every day when we’re in the motorhome, so we use it like 200 days a year. We use an adapter to connect it to a larger tank. It pulls apart into its component parts easily, so it’s easy to clean, which is important when it gets used that much.

For more than 2 people, it’s too small.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

John88

Post by John88 » Sun May 03, 2020 9:30 pm

We have had just about all the Weber charcoal grills from the smokey Joe, Performers WSMs to a ranch kettle.

Paired down to two now, an Akorn Kamado and Weber Q2200 which we use with a 20lb tank. I cook for two or three so the Q2200 works perfectly for us. It has few moving parts so it should last a long time.

ElJefeDelQueso

Post by ElJefeDelQueso » Sun May 03, 2020 9:33 pm

RobLyons wrote:
Hello all !

3 Embers, fantastic grill.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Sun May 03, 2020 9:37 pm

Have a Weber Genesis and have loved it. Have to replace a Vermont Castings BBQ at the cottage and now that Costco is selling Weber's it seems like an even better choice!
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut » Sun May 03, 2020 9:43 pm

6miths wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:37 pm
Have a Weber Genesis and have loved it. Have to replace a Vermont Castings BBQ at the cottage and now that Costco is selling Weber's it seems like an even better choice!
Another vintage Vermont Castings propane grill user here!

I've kept mine going after 20 years + ! Built like a tank. :D

Great for grilling.

But for "BBQ" - Weber Smokey Mountain. :beer

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Sun May 03, 2020 9:51 pm

I have an unjustified fear of pressure vessels. Therefore I use a Weber Smokey Joe and a Weber 22" Kettle (Silver), both charcoal powered, depending on the volume and cooking method of the meal. It takes only a slight bit more planning to light the briquettes ahead of time. Time out for a beer. :beer They are both cheap and good tools.

The versatility and flavor are far superior to any propane grill I have ever been associated with. However, if I grilled more often I would probably choose a pellet smoker.

I would buy the Weber Kettle (Gold) with the ash catcher if I could go back in time. It would be easier to deal with than the saucer that is on the Silver. (It looks like Weber doesn't call the two models Silver and Gold anymore.)

BruDude

Post by BruDude » Sun May 03, 2020 10:19 pm

Traeger.

/thread

psy1

Post by psy1 » Sun May 03, 2020 10:28 pm

You will get a zillion opinions about this. I have used many grills. Gas grills are convenient but not the best for flavor. If you must go gas, nothing wrong with a Weber.

If transitioning from gas to solid fuel, a pellet grill is a good place to start. You can smoke and they are idiot proof. Traeger is not what it used to be but it is good enough and has a good price point. A Treager plus a Weber Kettle covers most things to cook. If you don't want a kettle grill, then just get a cheap big box gas grill for high heat.

Your budget would cover a basic pellet grill and you won't regret it.

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Sun May 03, 2020 10:49 pm

psy1 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:28 pm
You will get a zillion opinions about this. I have used many grills. Gas grills are convenient but not the best for flavor. If you must go gas, nothing wrong with a Weber.

If transitioning from gas to solid fuel, a pellet grill is a good place to start. You can smoke and they are idiot proof. Traeger is not what it used to be but it is good enough and has a good price point. A Treager plus a Weber Kettle covers most things to cook. If you don't want a kettle grill, then just get a cheap big box gas grill for high heat.

Another vote for wood pellet grill. The convenience of propane, with the flavor of wood. Heavy user, at least 4 meals/week three seasons. Even in snowy winter, once a week. Doubles as a nice smoker.
Retired 2018 age 61/Variable Percentage Withdrawal method/One fund: VTINX all accounts/No mortgage,debt/Good enough | "Not using an alarm is one of the great glories of my life." Robert Greene

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun May 03, 2020 11:24 pm

rich126 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:59 pm
I prefer to go the cheap route and keep it under $200 and closer to $100. That way if it lasts for a while it is a bonus. And since I'm not a fan of cleaning them, when it gets too grimy I can toss it. Spending $500+ for a grill is pretty crazy to me. I think my last one in AZ lasted me about 6-7 years and I gave it to a friend when I moved. Currently I don't have one since I've found how well a broiler cooks burgers and hot dogs. Well cooked but juicy and hot.
Does a hamburger cooked on a $500 grill taste different then one cooked on a $100 grill?

:happy

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Mon May 04, 2020 12:11 am

psy1 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:28 pm

If transitioning from gas to solid fuel, a pellet grill is a good place to start. You can smoke and they are idiot proof. Traeger is not what it used to be {yep, since they got bought out and no longer in Willsonville OR}but it is good enough and has a good price point. {Pit Boss, which was started by some old Trager folks after their patent ended, used to put out a good product that was also cheaper than the Traeger equivalent. Ours is the old 800 model, which used to only be available in certain stores. (nowadays, they seem to be available almost everywhere and I don't know if their quality is still as good}A Treager plus a Weber Kettle covers most things to cook. If you don't want a kettle grill, then just get a cheap big box gas grill for high heat.

A wide variety of wood pellets are available; we use cherry or cherry/apple blend for pork and chicken, maple or pecan (and sometimes a pre-mixed "competition blend") for beef {not a fan of mesquite, so never use it; not much of a hickory fan either, but small amounts in a mix can be good}

gips

Post by gips » Mon May 04, 2020 1:02 am

since i’m a bogleheader and believe in keeping expenses low, I’ve bought my last three grills off of craigslist: two like new stainless steel weber performers for $30 and $35 and a weber smokey mountain for $65. the wsm is going strong after 22 years of hard use.

enjoy!

Topic Author
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Mon May 04, 2020 5:36 am

international001 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:36 pm
RobLyons wrote:
Hello all !

How do you plan to get indirect heat from that one?

I'm not sure I follow...

Topic Author
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Mon May 04, 2020 5:39 am

fishmonger wrote:

Yes, exactly this!! The ONLY time I've used the ENTIRE grill space was during our largest cookouts, and it wasn't for a very long cooking time...
Cooking for the 4 of us, or even 6-8 with family over, I honestly use 1/3 to 1/2.

Also, is it OK to keep on our deck to save travel time? I usually keep next to the shed to keep far away from our house.

Topic Author
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Mon May 04, 2020 5:59 am

bbqguru wrote:
fishmonger wrote:

Wow that sounds like one hell of a house warming present!

Thanks for the advice. Do you recommend a certain cleaning kit, if you mean taking everything apart to clean including burners, bottom tray, etc

Nastywarnob

Re: Best [BBQ grill] for the money?

Post by Nastywarnob » Mon May 04, 2020 6:04 am

I have 2 Weber grills (1 for the home, one for the vacation home), this after many off-brand versions that lasted 3 years each or so. Of particular note is my Weber Genesis A I bought used on Craigslist back in 2008. Finally, after I got another 12 years on the used grill, I replaced the burner, flavorizer bars and igniter for a total cost of $112. And now I have a new grill again. If you want to buy only 1 more grill, Weber is a top option in my book.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Mon May 04, 2020 6:52 am

I have a Weber Genesis B gasser bought in 2005. That's for "Grilling".
Paid $350 thought I was out of my mind, but tired of tossing grills every 3 years.
I have a Weber 22.5" Kettle charcoal for "BBQ" smoking. $99 5 years ago.
Both rest on my screened porch in Florida.
A great Weber forum - https://tvwbb.com//
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon May 04, 2020 7:03 am

F150HD wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 11:24 pm
rich126 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:59 pm
Does a hamburger cooked on a $500 grill taste different then one cooked on a $100 grill?

:happy
Yes. Anything cooked on a good quality well designed grill is likely to taste and look better. I am sometimes asked to work the grill at get togethers, and it's a challenge to get decent results using a cheap grill, especially when cooking for more than 2 people. Cheap grills - typically cook unevenly, don't get hot enough or get wildly too hot in places, have random hot and cold spots, much more prone to flare ups that burn your food. Until you've cooked on a high quality grill the hassle of trying to get good results with a cheap grill may not be apparent.

bbqguru

Post by bbqguru » Mon May 04, 2020 7:38 am

RobLyons wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:59 am
bbqguru wrote:
fishmonger wrote:

Wow that sounds like one hell of a house warming present!

Thanks for the advice. Do you recommend a certain cleaning kit, if you mean taking everything apart to clean including burners, bottom tray, etc
I usually remove everything I can without using any tools. The burners can get a good cleaning with a wire brush and compressed air. If they're acting funny I'll take them out and use an air compressor and make sure the openings aren't clogged.

Otherwise, I load up on oven cleaner from the dollar store and a metal putty knife.

Topic Author
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Mon May 04, 2020 7:45 am

bbqguru wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:08 pm
For roughly the same money, skip the Weber Q and look at the Spirit 210 or 310. Much better warranty and features for roughly the same money.

If you can find a Spirit II 210 or 310, jump on it. It's got a 10 year "bumper to bumper" warranty, including the ignitor. Weber discontinued the design this year and went back to the traditional Spirit design, including the reduced warranty.

The Spirit 310 cooking surface is about 4 inches wider than the 210. If you don't need the size and/or extra burner for indirect cooking, the 210 grill will handle anything you throw at it.

Currently at Lowe's eyeing a Spirit ll E-210 for $379. Sign indicated free assembly and local haul away on grills $398 or more. So if I have to pay for assembly I'll step up slightly to the Spirit E-210 for $429.
Already planning to pay for delivery on other items so hopefully they will not charge me for assembly.

aquaman

Post by aquaman » Mon May 04, 2020 7:53 am

jabberwockOG wrote:

I am a very big fan of Weber grills, but have used everything from the Consumer Reports "best buy" grill (a cheap piece of crap that rusted out in a year and a half), to Weber Spirit, Weber Genesis, Weber Summit to Lynx, PGS and DCS, which retail for thousands of dollars.

Although I do think that for people looking for a reasonably durable, very even and reasonably high quality grill, the Weber Genesis is tough to beat, it's definitely not the best gas grill out there. In fact, it's not even the best Weber gas grill out there, as the Weber Summit is their most durable and highest end grill. For the next level in quality and flavor, brands like Lynx are superb, but are expensive (4 Best Gas Grills of 2020 - Lynx vs DCS vs Kalamazoo vs Hestan: https://blog.designerappliances.com/bes ... as-grills/).
Last edited by aquaman on Mon May 04, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon May 04, 2020 8:17 am

I absolutely love cooking outdoors, always have. As such, I've spent a lot of years (and $$$) expanding and tweaking my grill/smoker inventory. At peak I've had six, and I've now whittled it down to two, which seems to be absolutely perfect for me. The first revelation was when I got my Kamado 4 years ago. That instantly eliminated the need for my vertical smokers and my Weber Performer kettle. So much easier, with results far better than anything I've ever used. And it will literally last forever, with a lifetime warranty on all the ceramic parts.

This relegated my Weber Genesis (natural gas) to remedial tasks such as hot dogs or veggies, where there was no real flavor benefit to the charcoal and the speed to heat of the NG won out. But even those occasions became less and less. So almost two years ago I replaced it with a flat top griddle, which I absolutely love to pieces. So versatile and easy to clean. Made blackened red snapper on Saturday, 2.5 lbs of bacon on Sunday for BLTs, and will be doing tacos tonight. It has grill grates under the griddle, so you can still flame-grill food if you want to. I've done it once, and it will probably remain a very rare occurrence.

Everything else I had strewn about the yard has now been sold or given away, and I have no desire to make any further changes.

At this point, if I had no grills and a $500 budget, I would buy a Kamado Joe Jr. and call it a day, hands down. Well, that's not true. I'd also grab a 17" griddle as well (along with its cover and carrying bag, and still come in just under budget.

If I could only have one and it had to be propane/NG, I would either get the same flat top grill I currently have, or perhaps try the one that Sam's Club just introduced.