Weather Similarity Website?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Random Poster

Weather Similarity Website?

Post by Random Poster » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:18 pm

Does anyone know of a website that lets you input a city and get a list of other cities (preferably in the US) that have weather (or climate) similar to the inputted city?

I’ve found several websites that give vague weather doppelganger information for international cities, but I’m really looking for a US-focused website.

Thanks.

mega317

Re: Weather Similarity Website?

Post by mega317 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:13 pm

It sounds like a tough request because there are many factors that may be more or less important to someone. Temperature averages, ranges, and seasonality. Number of sunny or overcast days. Humidity. Type, amount, and distribution of precipitation. Wind. Pollen. Water temperatures.

If you post the city here maybe the forum can help you.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:47 am

How about just googling the question.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Tubes

Post by Tubes » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:02 am

Agree it is a tough ask because of the unique geography of North America. Latitude matters, but only so much.

In the West, you get domination by the cold Alaska/California current. In the East you get domination by the Gulf stream. This makes latitude comparisons nearly meaningless. Add the various Western mountain ranges in the mix, and they end up squeezing out moisture which creates the semi-arid or arid regions which further complicate comparisons. For some periods of the year, there are solid comparisons between, say, Salt Lake city, UT and Richmond, VA in spring and fall, but then the moisture factor causes the comparison to fail in summer and winter.

Then there is the center of the country which has much wider swings between summer and winter, along with occasional weather violence, which is different than eastern coastal weather violence.

So it is really hard. Think more in regions and what you prefer. There are plenty of web sites which go into the various regional climate zones of North America, and what you can expect living there.

Topic Author
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:12 am

mega317 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:13 pm
If you post the city here maybe the forum can help you.
Two cities at the moment:

Santa Fe, New Mexico; and

Bozeman, Montana.

Topic Author
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:13 am

tennisplyr wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:47 am
How about just googling the question.
Yeah, I already tried that. No real success.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:27 am

I haven't found exactly what you're looking for, but I think "Köppen classification" is what you need to be looking for.

https://www.weatherbase.com/ includes the Köppen classification for each city, but you have to look it up city by city. For Bozeman, it is ""Dfb". (Warm Summer Continental Climate)."

You can find maps colored by Köppen zone. My favorite is in a print atlas, Goode's World Atlas. But maybe we can find one online. In
this paper, for example; this map, to be precise. The PDF has much higher resolution than the image I'm about to post; it is in fact county-by-county and they have downloadable data at county level.

PDF file

The problem is that it doesn't show cities.

But they also have a page of links to Google Earth .kmz files, which show the whole globe colored by climate zone and will show cities if you zoom in and give it a little while to think.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:51 am

If one understands what creates "weather", then this should not be too hard to do on your own. As already noted, latitude, elevation, and large bodies of water in the same direction will produce not-dissimilar weather.

San Diego, CA and Capetown, SA have very similar weather. One is much less expensive to live in, but most of us can guess why.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Topic Author
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:43 am

nisiprius wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:27 am
I haven't found exactly what you're looking for, but I think "Köppen classification" is what you need to be looking for.
Very helpful! Thank you.