[Anyone found] amazing shopping deals now?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hammond

[Anyone found] amazing shopping deals now?

Post by hammond »

Has anyone found some good deals on amazon or otherwise for household items that have gone down in price due to pandemic?

I am thinking of something like items that have lower demand or something like that.
fizxman

Re: Amazing shopping deals now

Post by fizxman »

Everything on my wish list has remained at the same price during the pandemic. I think they are banking on people not going out and therefore forced order things online so they don't need to put items on sale.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

I don't know if it's due to the pandemic but I went to buy one of wirecutter's recommended printers. The link on amazon was priced as expected but when I went to HP.com directly it was like $100 cheaper. Score.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
AustenNut

Post by AustenNut »

I have found that going to the manufacturer's website offers a better deal than going to the "superstore" type websites (like Amazon), at least at this time.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

I have found nothing that has gone down. The demand is simply quite high now for many items, and prices seems to stay the same or are going up. Even the sales at grocery stores aren't really sales.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Amazon seems swamped and unable to fill all their orders, so I’m not surprised that I haven’t seen many/any deals there.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Not really, but I'm not really shopping for anything in particular where I would notice a price drop.
Here's a website that tracks such things at amazon:
https://camelcamelcamel.com/top_drops
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Bogle7

Not seeing amazing

Post by Bogle7 »

AustenNut wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:31 pmI have found that going to the manufacturer's website offers a better deal than going to the "superstore" type websites (like Amazon), at least at this time.
I just saw this today for a light switch.
I bought it from the manufacturer.
A militant atheist.
BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 »

Check out Macy’s. They’re running decent sales on household items for the next couple weeks.

Swappa for mint-condition iPhones and other great quality phones.

Best Buy has been having a lot of great Blue-Ray and 4K movie sales.

If you’re buying tech go to the manufacturer’s website.
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Pretty much everything is made in China. The coronavirus caused disruptions to the supply of many products. And demand is higher for certain products (e.g., laptops as everybody works from home). So while there may be a few deals here and there, broadly prices have, if anything, gone up not down.
jastevenson

Post by jastevenson »

Good time to buy clothes. For example, bought some stuff at Banana Republic for 60 percent off plus another 25 Percent off just for signing up for their email. So about 70 percent off total. Usually I like to try on clothes first but I bought some stuff I had tried on on the past and liked.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

It is a great time to buy a new or used vehicle. But it will probably even be better in 4-6 months when the new models come out.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Dozens of discounts if you are a healthcare worker or first responder.
cogito

Post by cogito »

I think we're more likely to see inflation in discretionary consumer items than discounts.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Lands end clothing has had good markdowns. Pants and tops.
hmw

Post by hmw »

I bought a couple of pairs of shoes on Cole Haan at significant discount.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Afty wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:40 pm Amazon seems swamped and unable to fill all their orders, so I’m not surprised that I haven’t seen many/any deals there.
I cancelled my Prime membership since Prime shipping is no faster than regular shipping these days, and I never use the streaming services anyway.

Also keeps me from buying stuff just because the shipping is "free".
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
stan1

Post by stan1 »

We've seen a few good clothing deals (30-50% off). In 2009 we noticed quality declined in items made of fabric and we were unhappy with some of the clothing and linens we purchased.

We decided this time to stock up during sales as soon as they started to get the merchandise that was still manufactured during good times before the next batch when cost cutting sets in and quality drops.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Dewalt 60V Chainsaw
Dewalt 60V weed eater

Tool Therapy
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

Raymond wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:49 pm
Afty wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:40 pm Amazon seems swamped and unable to fill all their orders, so I’m not surprised that I haven’t seen many/any deals there.
I cancelled my Prime membership since Prime shipping is no faster than regular shipping these days, and I never use the streaming services anyway.

Also keeps me from buying stuff just because the shipping is "free".
Funny, I did the same.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

I just looked for an item we're running low on (dishwasher detergent).

The item (75 oz) at Walmart's website was $2 and change.

The same item, except smaller (48 oz) at Amazon was $12.

Be careful out there folks.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

yahoo says "Coach is having an unbelievable sale on handbags— these are the best deals":

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/coach-m ... 06222.html
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

I've noticed that Amazon has dropped the price of some of the books i buy. That is, their prices are actually competitive now on those books. Of course, they won't deliver them for a week or more.

I haven't canceled my Prime subscription yet, but i'm counting the #of months that i'm not getting Prime benefits and i intend to ask them to extend my annual membership accordingly once this is over.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

jastevenson wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:10 pm Good time to buy clothes. For example, bought some stuff at Banana Republic for 60 percent off plus another 25 Percent off just for signing up for their email. So about 70 percent off total. Usually I like to try on clothes first but I bought some stuff I had tried on on the past and liked.
Most of us are going to need new outfits because most of our old ones are too small.
Mark Snark

Post by Mark Snark »

I took advantage of REI having a lot of 50% off clothing. I did notice that the selection was spotty—sometimes my size or preferred color would be sold out, with no sign of when (if ever?) these would available again.
amoose

Post by amoose »

I haven't canceled my Prime subscription yet, but i'm counting the #of months that i'm not getting Prime benefits and i intend to ask them to extend my annual membership accordingly once this is over.
That hasn't been my experience - I don't normally order much online, but over the last month I've bought a number of things and they've all arrived early (usually one day, sometimes two). I love the new delivery tracking that shows you the exact location of the driver and when they'll arrive.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

Has anyone reached out to Amazon on a possible account credit due to Prime not delivering timely anymore?
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

For a lot of things on Amazon delivery times have increased to very unreasonable levels.

I used to be able to get a lot of building maintenance items, HVAC parts, etc from them. No longer. And certainly no discounts. In fact the only way to get a reasonable delivery on some items is to go up to the highest quality/price level.

Not going to ditch our prime account yet, but not seeing any advantage.
jminv

Post by jminv »

Some clothing is on sale but often the 'list' deals aren't where the value is you need something like Honey or Wikibuy installed so you can automatically try all the coupon codes. There's some great coupon codes since discounting is in early days and they are trying to price discriminate rather than wholesale markdown more than their sales would already suggest.

Ebay is often a much better deal than amazon now which seems to be because so many items have no inventory on amazon or are shipping far into the future so prices for similar listings with stock that ships fast are high. I've saved a lot buying on eBay and through manufacturer's websites. For things that amazon has a lot of stock across similar listings, though, it's more mixed.

Lawn care power equipment deals are good on some third tier sites. Bought a new honda mower, pole chainsaw, wood chipper, few other things.

Aliexpress has some very good deals from sellers in Asia that are desperate.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:07 pm I just looked for an item we're running low on (dishwasher detergent).

The item (75 oz) at Walmart's website was $2 and change.

The same item, except smaller (48 oz) at Amazon was $12.

Be careful out there folks.
I agree, Amazon has taken a lot of advantage during these times and the same rules apply before pandemic: check the price elsewhere to find the best price. I in fact was able to get an item faster through target than amazon, so for certain things due to demand amazon isn’t even the fastest to ship.
rjbraun

Re: [Anyone found] amazing shopping deals now?

Post by rjbraun »

Re: Amazon, I've generally been pleased with their service, perhaps even especially during the pandemic period. I have Prime through a family member, so, admittedly, I might feel differently if I were shelling out myself for an annual membership fee.

I typically can wait for an order to be delivered and will gladly use the option, as available, to receive a digital credit for an e-book. At times this has been as high as $3 recently. So, for an inexpensive order that's a pretty nice discount on a future digital book purchase.

Like some other posters, I have found that Amazon has oftentimes delivered earlier than originally reported. And, I can only think of one time years ago where they failed to come through on a product reported to be in stock at a future date. Had not yet been charged, but once it was clear that the product (a book) was not available anywhere they agreed to issue a credit that could be used for a used copy of the book, which if I recall correctly resulted in the book costing the same as what we would have paid for a new copy.

Definitely, have also enjoyed receiving free delivery on Amazon Whole Foods orders. No question that getting a reservation has been an undertaking, but I've found that to be the case elsewhere as well.