Anyone plans to drive to the beachs in Florida in May?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
flyingaway

Anyone plans to drive to the beachs in Florida in May?

Post by flyingaway » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:33 am

It seems that some beaches in Florida are open? Can anyone in Florida confirm if the beaches are open to local residents only or also to tourists? Are the hotels open there?

I think I have stayed home too long and want a change.

Does anyone also plan to drive to Florida beaches? Are the interstate freeways open? (I heard some states have quarantine requirements for people coming from out of the state).

adamthesmythe

Re: Anyone plans to drive to the beachs in Florida in May?

Post by adamthesmythe » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:36 pm

At this point (Apr 25) such a trip would be very unwise.

Indeed, I would avoid all the states planning aggressive re-opening (GA, etc.). (Maybe avoid is not strong enough, I mean "would not go unless I was compelled to").

MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:42 pm

Some public beaches are open, but not for hanging out. You have to keep moving and practice social distancing. Private beaches (private access above the high tide line) are not restricted, but you would have to be staying in a place with private access. That being said, please don't come until things have settled down more than they have.

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:56 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:33 am
It seems that some beaches in Florida are open? Can anyone in Florida confirm if the beaches are open to local residents only or also to tourists? Are the hotels open there?

Does anyone also plan to drive to Florida beaches? Are the interstate freeways open? (I heard some states have quarantine requirements for people coming from out of the state).
What are the statistics in your area? What about other places you have to drive through? That should influence your decision, as should the real time statistics in Florida itself when you plan the trip. How would you feel if you took the disease from Florida to your hometown?

According to one study, Florida should not reopen until mid June. Tourism should be the last thing to reopen, since it brings more potential vectors into (and out of) the state.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:15 pm

sailaway wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:56 pm
flyingaway wrote:

What are the statistics in your area? What about other places you have to drive through? That should influence your decision, as should the real time statistics in Florida itself when you plan the trip. How would you feel if you took the disease from Florida to your hometown?

According to one study, Florida should not reopen until mid June. Tourism should be the last thing to reopen, since it brings more potential vectors into (and out of) the state.
I don't think OP cares about any studies/statistics if they are considering driving to a beach out of state. Most likely they are from an area that doesn't currently have many cases nor did they have any friends die from Covid-19. Unfortunately, it's an uphill battle to convince someone like that to take this seriously. See all the previous Corona threads that have been locked.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:55 pm

Things are still very shuttered. Next week Sarasota county plans to open beaches on a very restricted basis: limited hours, no parking, no chairs/towels/coolers.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:59 pm

flyingaway wrote:

Q: are you going to drive to the beach and back, or are you also planning to stay / sunbathe on the beach?
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:23 pm

flyingaway wrote:

That is just a (Lots of course words) ideas I have read today.

Be safe. If you want to go out, go to a drive-in movie.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters. | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:32 pm

Don't do it! Those of us who live here haven't a thing to do. We're stuck in a 4,000 square foot house with a country club golf course and a club and home pool and still bored to death. Can't imagine having nothing to do but sit in a hotel room and get takeout at a limited number of restaurants. Florida is no more hospitable these days than anywhere else. Also, your trip down could be a nightmare. The love bugs have begun and if you're not familiar with those you will be. Stay home.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:35 pm

I miss those Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express breakfast commercials. Bet it will be a thing of the past. Planet Fitness cut out bagels once a month before shut down. I may need to buy a waffle maker. Seriously I don't think the beach areas are ready.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:37 pm

Too Hot In May
for me anyway :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

fatcoffeedrinker

Post by fatcoffeedrinker » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:48 pm

flyingaway wrote:

Not sure how far that drive is for you, but I'm planning on going to the Ventura County beaches that are opening. It's a short drive, so no need for me to get a hotel. I don't think one can hang out in one place -- need to be waking, running or something and keeping distance from others. That's fine for me. Just need a change of scenery and some ocean breeze.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:01 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (the question has been answered). See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.