[recommend a basic] refrigerator

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
brandy

[recommend a basic] refrigerator

Post by brandy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:28 pm

It appears I may have to replace my old amana refrigerator/freezer.
I want a simple machine: no icemaker, no coldwater faucet, nothing through the door, etc,
Not connected to the internet, don't want it to talk to me or light up when someone's in the room...
One refrigerator door, one freezer door.
no more than 67" tall. Mine is 33" wide.
What else? I haven't looked at refrigerators in years.
I want a bottom freezer.
Home depot is probably where I'll get it.
What do you recommend?
Thanks!

lthenderson

Re: refrigerator

Post by lthenderson » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:25 pm

brandy wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:28 pm
What do you recommend?
I call the repairman at the place that will fix it should it break down in the future and ask which ones he recommends and can get parts for. I learned the hard way after getting a popular brand that sustained an electrical surge that took out the control board and not a single repairman could fix it without a six month wait for a new board to be shipped over.

Mlm

Post by Mlm » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:34 pm

When I had to replace the refrigerator in my old house it was a real hassle it could only be so wide and so tall because I had to fit into the corner of an old kitchen
I finally found what I was looking for on the Internet and then I called a large local appliance repair company and ask them what were the best and worst refrigerators that they worked with as far as repairs

I was able to order what I needed from Lowe’s and was very lucky that I got something to fit. I’m not sure I’ll find that again the next time

badbreath

Post by badbreath » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:56 pm

for what your looking for just get a Whirlpool. Very reliable in the size you are looking for.
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

Boglegirl81

Re: [recommend a basic] refrigerator

Post by Boglegirl81 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:47 am

I bought a new fridge last year, and I didn’t want an icemaker or water dispenser. It was surprisingly difficult to find a fridge to meet those requirements that fit within the dimensions I needed! Good luck!

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:06 am

brandy wrote:
I would highly recommend that you look at COSTCO since if you buy it there you get a two year warranty and if you use their credit card you get an additional 2 years for a total of a 4 year warranty.

posting.php?mode=reply&f=11&t=313055#postingbox

Even if you are not a member that could be worth getting a membership and their credit card if you are in their delivery area. You can cancel the membership later if you are not using it enough to make it worthwhile.

anoop

Post by anoop » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:01 am

You could get a Liebherr but you probably won't find it at a Home Depot.
https://home.liebherr.com/en/usa/ncsa/r ... -4416.html

I have one that is similar although narrower and taller and it has worked really well. Very silent. I had returned a prior purchase because it was too noisy (high pitched noise that was causing me headaches).

Puakinekine

Post by Puakinekine » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:45 am

We bought his one about 6 months ago when it was on sale and are pleased with it. To avoid future problems, we never connected the ice maker or water dispenser and just fill the ice tray with bagged ice from the grocery store. Or you could use the ice tray space as more freezer space. We bought this because it was the only decent bottom freezer unit that would fit into the space we have without sticking too far out into the room.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-18-6-cu- ... lsrc=aw.ds

p14175

Post by p14175 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:44 pm

We have a large farm kitchen that can easily accommodate a 28+ cu. ft. fridge without it looking out of place, but there is only 2 of us and our current 18 cu. ft. refrigerator stays empty most of the time. We are looking at scaling down.

This is the refrigerator we are thinking about getting. No icemaker. No water chiller. No computer. No auto defrost.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Unique-Retr ... /309413791

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:51 pm

Call the place you're buying it from with the style and dimensions. They can look it up and tell you what's available. For that style, there should be plenty of options. Every apartment in the country has exactly that kind of fridge.

If you want actual recommendations, Consumer Reports is a good place to start. Most libraries have online subscriptions.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:56 pm

l don't have a brand recommendation, but I can give you the brand which I don't recommend. I bought a new LG and it failed in a few months and was under warranty. It took near 4 weeks to receive service!l You can read my story here: viewtopic.php?t=292034
“One moment of patience may ward off great disaster. One moment of impatience may ruin a whole life.” — Chinese Proverb

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:14 pm

Sheepdog wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:56 pm
l don't have a brand recommendation, but I can give you the brand which I don't recommend. I bought a new LG and it failed in a few months and was under warranty. It took near 4 weeks to receive service!l You can read my story here: viewtopic.php?t=292034
I had a friend who had an LG fail under warranty, and she was without a fridge for 9 months while she was trying to get them to honor the warranty.

I on the other hand, bought a Samsung that had to be replaced under warranty (which turned out to be fairly easy), but was also part of a class action suit related to frozen ice makers.

My property manager won’t buy Whirlpool or Frigidaire, because they’ve had more repairs on those brands than any of the others.

The only conclusion I can come to is that fridges aren’t made like they used to.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:16 pm

Go to a local appliance store.

There are still a number of basic refrigerators. Almost every brand has one or more in your size range.

We (smaller market) have several options (besides big box). The primarily are local/regional and sell appliances. Karl's Appliance is where we go.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

Topic Author
brandy

Post by brandy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:26 pm

I am a costco member, NO LG was the first note I wrote because of what I had learned here--maybe that thread. My height space is limited to 67.5" tall... I'm still looking. My present machine is an Amana, and I wish I could get the same model, I do like this one. Good to know about the Frigidaire and the Whirlpool.
I will check the local appliance dealers. Thanks for the input! :beer

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri May 01, 2020 11:58 am

When I needed a basic refrigerator recently, I went to the Home Depot website and used the sorting mechanism to find models with the size I needed. It came down to two and I picked one of them.

Don't see why it needs to be much more difficult than that, unless the sort yields a number of zero.

ray.james

Post by ray.james » Fri May 01, 2020 12:20 pm

I never thought buying refrigerator was so hard until I did recently. The old size/slots do not match width/height of new ones. I found sticking to bottom down/top freezer simple models is easiest way to meet the space and size requirements.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

daheld

Post by daheld » Fri May 01, 2020 1:08 pm

Lots of other good suggestions here, but I'll add my input: about a year ago my wife and I were in the market for a very basic fridge just like you're talking about: one fridge door, one freezer door, freezer on top, no ice maker, no bells, no whistles. I normally probably would not buy from a scratch and dent type place, but we found an absolutely screaming deal at one locally. The guy who runs the place said the huge majority of their product comes from excess supply--when places like Home Depot and Lowes have stuff sitting on the floor for too long, either at the end of a huge sale or after a product has been discontinued and they just cannot get rid of excess stock, they sell it to him. Some of his stuff were items that were scratched and dented--he said a lot of times it happens when big box stores deliver and the item gets unboxed; people realize it's damaged and send it back. Big box stores don't want to put it out on the floor to resale, so they sell it to him.

Anyway, the point is if you're looking for something super basic, check out your local scratch and dent appliance place. If you're wanting bare bones functionality, you might not mind a small scratch. Also, they make appliance paint and it works well.

Good luck.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri May 01, 2020 1:19 pm

brandy wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:26 pm
I am a costco member, NO LG was the first note I wrote because of what I had learned here--maybe that thread. My height space is limited to 67.5" tall... I'm still looking. My present machine is an Amana, and I wish I could get the same model, I do like this one. Good to know about the Frigidaire and the Whirlpool.
I will check the local appliance dealers. Thanks for the input! :beer
A word of caution, LG has made refrigerators for Whirlpool, GE and Kenmore in the past. I don't know if they still do or not. Having worked in the appliance industry before, it is one of the industries dirty secrets that companies often cut deals and make appliances that get rebranded as a "competitor" to fill certain market and timing issues.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Sat May 02, 2020 9:26 am

NO SAMSUNG. We love Whirlpool. And we got a 33" plain Jane top freezer in the dent deals at Lowes. $500.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Sat May 02, 2020 9:52 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:14 pm
[...]
The only conclusion I can come to is that fridges aren’t made like they used to.
+1! When our fridge went on the fritz, the repairman (notwithstanding vested interests) recommended we keep the unit and let the warranty cover the $500+ repair bill than give us a $500 discount on a new unit.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Sat May 02, 2020 10:08 pm

brandy wrote:
It appears I may have to replace my old amana refrigerator/freezer.
I want a simple machine: no icemaker, no coldwater faucet, nothing through the door, etc,
Not connected to the internet, don't want it to talk to me or light up when someone's in the room...
One refrigerator door, one freezer door.
no more than 67" tall. Mine is 33" wide.
What else? I haven't looked at refrigerators in years.
I want a bottom freezer.
What do you recommend?
Thanks!
Asking people here is pointless because people just recommend the refrigerator they own, and tell you horror stories about other brands which are irrelevant because it’s all just anecdotes.

There are two good sources you should look at

1) Free - The Wirecutter fridge recommendations: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-b ... rigerator/

2) Pay $10 for access to Consumer Reports online, read their recommendations, then cancel after you finalized a purchase.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat May 02, 2020 10:19 pm

We always went with GE for basic appliances. The good thing about them is they always break down during the warranty period so you get everything fixed before the warranty expires.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn » Sun May 03, 2020 7:10 am

Don't cheap out like I did I bought a Hisense 17.1-Cu Ft Counter-Depth Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator. But, it is just a garage beer fridge with a bottom freezer for extra food so whatever. It is not nearly as well made as the LG we have inside. The Hisense is so light it moves when you open the door!