Unable to Order Work Out Equipment

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SimpleMan68

Unable to Order Work Out Equipment

Post by SimpleMan68 »

My family has decided to create our own home gym. We did some research on the types of equipment and weights that we would like to purchase, but everywhere we look (Amazon, Titan Fitness, Rogue Fitness, etc.) it says the equipment is unavailable or out of stock or on back order. I'm assuming this is due to the current pandemic. Does anyone know when these places will be shipping this type of item again? Is it my home state dependent or is it nation wide? Thank you for your responses.
SimpleMan68 | We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
stuper1

Re: Unable to Order Work Out Equipment

Post by stuper1 »

You can buy a lot of decent basic equipment at Walmart, Target, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc. if you have any of those near you, such as work out benches, dumb bells, bands, etc.
A 10-20% allocation to gold has helped with the sequence of returns problem. Some gold held physically is also good insurance against the all-digital-assets problem.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

My Walmart was sold out also. I have head the best place to look for these types of items is Craig’s list etc. as it is hard to break weights etc.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I've been able to buy top quality stuff from people who had been using it as a coat rack. Check Facebook marketplace and Craigslist. That was pre-dystopia, however.
djeayzonne

Post by djeayzonne »

Everything is sold out everywhere.
Do not buy used right now either unless you want to pay twice what it is new.

If you are willing to get piece by piece from different places, you should be able to start getting some things mid-may.

Find the items you want and register for notifications.
Most likely, you won't be able to get everything until mid-June/early July.

I'm on waitlists as well, and in the meantime, I'm using a backpack loaded to 45 pounds and two 5-gallon jugs of water that also are just under 45 pounds.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Some items may be too large or heavy for "home delivery" if workers cannot go inside.

Someone reported that a treadmill (perhaps it was Peloton?) would ship a bike, but not a treadmill. Reason was that the treadmill was too heavy to carry inside or was too large and couldn't be disassembled/reassembled by consumer.

When we had a treadmill and an elliptical delivered some years ago, those were *big* items, and there were at least 3 *strong* men making the delivery: carrying them in and then assembling each. (I don't remember what the packaging/size of parts/boxes/etc. were.)

Might that be part of the problem?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Can you find a yoga mat? Body weight exercises can tide you over until other stuff becomes available.
bovineplane

Post by bovineplane »

So now is the time I should sell my treadmill it sounds. Sucks since I use mine regularly but if the price is right I would let it go.
skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver »

Have you looked at Johnson Fitness? https://www.johnsonfitness.com/?gclid=C ... 6oQAvD_BwE

I have an windspinner stationary bike from them. Not a discount place but great service. Set-up included in price.
megabad

Post by megabad »

Home Depot/Lowe’s has plenty of stuff if you think like me. Concrete blocks and stacks of lumber are all you need. And you avoid the price gouging of exercise equipment.
Last edited by megabad on Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

skepticalobserver wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:44 pm Have you looked at Johnson Fitness? https://www.johnsonfitness.com/?gclid=C ... 6oQAvD_BwE

I have an windspinner stationary bike from them. Not a discount place but great service. Set-up included in price.
Depending upon where one lives, that "set up" may not be possible, with the "distancing" restrictions.
That was the problem for the Peloton treadmill.
It may be location dependent rather than company wide ?

RM
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

Depends when you need it. I have decided I will finally set mine up in about six months, when I can get sharply discounted barely-used from lots of sellers who bought it a month or two ago, thought they'd use it throughout the pandemic, and haven't been.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

stuper1 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:21 pm You can buy a lot of decent basic equipment at Walmart, Target, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc. if you have any of those near you, such as work out benches, dumb bells, bands, etc.
everything is sold out.
people are breaking into gyms and stealing their equipment.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

unclescrooge wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:46 pm
stuper1 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:21 pm You can buy a lot of decent basic equipment at Walmart, Target, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc. if you have any of those near you, such as work out benches, dumb bells, bands, etc.
everything is sold out.
Well, I guess that is one way to get some exercise :shock:

RM
megabad

Post by megabad »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:52 pm everything is sold out.

Well, I guess that is one way to get some exercise :shock:

RM
“Ok folks, since we finished up our Body Pump series last week, we will start our Running from the Cops Cardio class today.”
countdrak

Post by countdrak »

Had the same issue, couldn’t even find dumbbells anywhere. Ended up buying some resistance bands from amazon that shipped after 45 days! I also started the Peloton App, great workouts all in one place.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

Other places to try...

Fringe Sport
Vulcan Strength
Troy Barbell
American Barbell
Christian's Fitness Factory
Wright Equipment
Diamond Pro
Texas Strength Systems
Samson
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

megabad wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:48 pm Home Depot/Lowe’s has plenty of stuff if you think like me. Concrete blocks and stacks of lumber are all you need. And you avoid the price gouging of exercise equipment.
One could find webbing straws and carabiners and some lag screws to for a makeshift TRX system. But otherwise, I suggest waiting for the right gear.
megabad

Post by megabad »

FoolStreet wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:12 pm
megabad wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:48 pm Home Depot/Lowe’s has plenty of stuff if you think like me. Concrete blocks and stacks of lumber are all you need. And you avoid the price gouging of exercise equipment.
One could find webbing straws and carabiners and some lag screws to for a makeshift TRX system. But otherwise, I suggest waiting for the right gear.
I find it a bit humorous that the “right gear” is now less indicative of actual valuable physical work... Seems like there was a time when strength and fitness were about being able to accomplish useful work better, not impressing someone with how many reps you can do on the Bowflex. I say this as someone who has a membership to a fancy gym and does very little useful physical labor....
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

megabad wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:25 pm
FoolStreet wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:12 pm
I find it a bit humorous that the “right gear” is now less indicative of actual valuable physical work... Seems like there was a time when strength and fitness were about being able to accomplish useful work better, not impressing someone with how many reps you can do on the Bowflex. I say this as someone who has a membership to a fancy gym and does very little useful physical labor....
I think we are very close. For exercise, grabbing an axe and splitting wood is great exercise that produces useful work. In the gym, having quality gear helps over the long term — if you are committed.
regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 »

Nothing to add other than I feel your pain. I’ve been lifting 3x a week for 6 years and I just went cold turkey. Tried body weight exercises but it just isn’t the same. I guess I’ve got my work cut out for me post pandemic.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

regularguy455 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:15 pm Nothing to add other than I feel your pain. I’ve been lifting 3x a week for 6 years and I just went cold turkey. Tried body weight exercises but it just isn’t the same. I guess I’ve got my work cut out for me post pandemic.
My 401k is down 13% YTD. But what I really lost are my gainz!! lol :(
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Same issue with golf equipment now. The brick and mortar stores (Golf Galaxy, PGA Super Store, the regional independents, etc.) are all closed here, and many of the online retailers aren't shipping. The few online retailers that are shipping are now sold out of many popular items that are usually always in stock.

I needed a new carry bag since the strap just broke off mine, I had luck finding a used bag for cheap in a independently owned used sporting goods store. I would have rather been able to purchase a brand new bag of a certain model, but this will hold me over for now. Many of these stores do sell used fitness equipment. You may be able to sell it back to them later, or on craigslist, etc. once the new stuff you really want becomes available again.
AC782

Post by AC782 »

I’ve spent hours looking for any type of workout equipment I can find, nearly everything is out of stock. Ebay has some used gear, but its priced more than new equipment right now. My guess is 4-6 weeks before stock levels return. in the meantime, there are a lot of good youtube videos that show bodyweight exercises beyond basic pushups and squats. For example- pistols, handstand pushups against the wall, jumping alternating lunges, burpees, spiderman pushups, mountain climbers and more. The key is to set a timer and get a good circuit going to keep your heart rate up.
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

Make it easy for folks who have a "home gym" but rarely use it.

For example I have a barely used Precor 9.41s full-sized treadmill and a Vectra On-Line 1800 3-station weight machine here in So Cali. Both are heavy and only the latter can be disassembled. I would be happy to just get my money back, but I have no way to get these items out of my house without having several potentially contaminated people come in and wrestle them out onto their own truck. There must be a creative solution - I just don't know what it is.

Perhaps someone looking to obtain lightly used equipment could advertise a willingness to wear full PPE while picking it up? As a previous poster stated most home equipment sits idle, sometimes for decades. This crisis might provide both parties an opportunity to be better off, especially if neither is looking to rip off the other.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Many home gym products are shipped directly from warehouses in China after being made in the factory. China was shutdown for 3 months, meaning nothing was being produced, hence no inventory anywhere...
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:38 am Many home gym products are shipped directly from warehouses in China after being made in the factory. China was shutdown for 3 months, meaning nothing was being produced, hence no inventory anywhere...
Concept2 manufactures in Vermont, and their production is shut down too. (I would guess some of their electronics may come from China.)

I looked for one of their new BikeErgs for my wife a couple of weeks ago, and they are sold out everywhere, with no estimated date on new inventory. I'm on the "waiting list" at Concept2 and the "notify list" at Rogue Fitness.

We are fortunate to already have a nice treadmill, a not-quite-year-old Concept2 rower, a bench, and adequate dumbbells. Plus our older son and I run outside 99% of the time anyway.

I know I could sell the rower at a profit right now, but it's not worth the hassle and the time spent without a rower. (They only cost $900 new, $1,000 with shipping and tax, and maybe I could sell it for $1,800.)
Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 »

I bought a Weider frame from Kohl’s online when it was back ordered everywhere else
capsaicinguy

Post by capsaicinguy »

Consider making some things yourself. If you aren't using huge weight, a squat rack can be built from 4x4 or 4x6 lumber for a fraction of the cost of a steel one. 3/4" black iron pipe and fittings for safeties/etc. If you don't already have a set of weight plates and all that, lots of options for bodyweight stuff to get you through the next couple months. Big army duffle bag + 5-6 bags of rubber mulch from home Depot = 80lb "sandbag". Shoulder that up from the ground a bunch, squat with it, overhead press it, lots of options. I will be rebuilding a squat rack soon but the sandbag stuff can give you a great workout too. Or consider just redoing your landscape beds. Nothing like moving a few thousand pounds of rock around.
Topic Author
SimpleMan68

Post by SimpleMan68 »

Thank you everyone for your replies. Pretty much what I thought. Looks like for the time being I' going to have to continue with my push-ups, sit-ups, planks and body weight squats. And a long bike ride almost every day.
SimpleMan68 | We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
h82goslw

Post by h82goslw »

SimpleMan68 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:00 am Thank you everyone for your replies. Pretty much what I thought. Looks like for the time being I' going to have to continue with my push-ups, sit-ups, planks and body weight squats. And a long bike ride almost every day.
darebee.com is the single best site for body weight exercises. There are literally hundreds of workouts for every physical level. Check it out.
yangtui

Post by yangtui »

SimpleMan68 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:19 pm My family has decided to create our own home gym. We did some research on the types of equipment and weights that we would like to purchase, but everywhere we look (Amazon, Titan Fitness, Rogue Fitness, etc.) it says the equipment is unavailable or out of stock or on back order. I'm assuming this is due to the current pandemic. Does anyone know when these places will be shipping this type of item again? Is it my home state dependent or is it nation wide? Thank you for your responses.
You are not alone here, lots of people have decided to do what you want to do. With a massive increase to demand and major shock to supply you are probably out of luck for at least a few more months. If I was desperate, I would see what I could find on eBay or make direct offers to suppliers at way above current listed prices to reserve my place in line for when items become available.
fatcoffeedrinker

Post by fatcoffeedrinker »

Deleted
Last edited by fatcoffeedrinker on Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
brennok

Post by brennok »

Check https://old.reddit.com/r/homegym/commen ... 20_220419/

This is the homegym thread on reddit tracking stock and shipping for equipment.
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

My wife and daughter joined BeachBody on-line. I'ts 14.99 per month and they love it. They have every conceivable workout you can think of and they are for all levels of fitness. They joined because their gym is obviously closed right now, but they love it so much, they said they probably won't be going back to the gym.

I personally use something called the BodyBlade and a stepper. I do the stepper for 20 minutes a day and the Super Six routine on BodyBlade. You can still buy a stepper and BodyBlade on ebay.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

brennok wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:30 pm Check https://old.reddit.com/r/homegym/commen ... 20_220419/

This is the homegym thread on reddit tracking stock and shipping for equipment.
Thanks for sharing! That is the lord's work there. Crowdsourcing at its best. :beer
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

With my gym closed, I've been using resistance bands. There's actually a lot you can do with these things, especially with a pull-up bar already installed in our utility room. Not the same as free weights, but pretty good, and a lot better than nothing. Lots of options on Amazon.

My gym was also nice to allow me to borrow a pair of heavy dumbbells as well, while they are closed.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

I apologize for being initially dismissive until I looked at the homegym reddit pictures linked below. TONS of examples of home made weight racks. Pretty impressive.
justglassin

Post by justglassin »

Consider making some heavy training tools/implements, such as heavy "medicine balls." I made one a few years ago and it's been a great addition to some of my conditioning workouts (for cleans, over the shoulder runs, bear-hug walks, burpees with a clean and press...get creative).

Pick out a bag of sand or gravel from Home Depot or Lowes at the appropriate weight for your "ball". Place it in a heavy duty contractor bag. You can wrap the excess of the bag around the bag of gravel or sand, or trim it away. Now take a roll of duct tape and start wrapping until it is completely covered and in the shape you desire.

If I were making mine over again, I would have tried to make it more "bread loaf" shaped rather than deformed-looking medicine ball as this would likely be "easier" to clean and press, rests more securely on your shoulder, whether you are just hiking it up to do a turkish getup with it on your shoulder, and is better for cleaning it from the ground and pressing overhead.

Good thing is, this is a really cheap project as the materials cost very little, so you don't have to stop at one. I used a 50 pound bag of gravel and it's worked great.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

I sold a lot of equipment I didnt want or wasnt using much, for a very large profit. I bought my power rack for $400 and sold it for $1200. Olympic weight plates that typically sell for $0.50/lb were selling for $2/lb. It was a fun run, and will probably never happen again. Since gyms are soon to open, prices are starting to level out. If you're thinking about unloading your used equipment, you missed out.

The best part is...when gyms reopen, everyone will want to sell all the equipment they panic bought. They will flood the market and prices will plummet. There will be a lot of deals to be had within the next 6 months.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

SimpleMan68 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:19 pm My family has decided to create our own home gym. We did some research on the types of equipment and weights that we would like to purchase, but everywhere we look (Amazon, Titan Fitness, Rogue Fitness, etc.) it says the equipment is unavailable or out of stock or on back order. I'm assuming this is due to the current pandemic. Does anyone know when these places will be shipping this type of item again? Is it my home state dependent or is it nation wide? Thank you for your responses.
Everywhere is sold out due to the current pandemic. Rogue went from promising the shipment out the door within a day to “we aren’t sure when it’ll be in stock again.” I think you (and me) will just have to wait it out. On Rogue at least you can sign up to be notified when items become available again.
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
capsaicinguy

Post by capsaicinguy »

ponyboy wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:11 am The best part is...when gyms reopen, everyone will want to sell all the equipment they panic bought. They will flood the market and prices will plummet. There will be a lot of deals to be had within the next 6 months.
This is what I'm planning on. :sharebeer
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

If OP was looking at quality stuff like Rogue, I'd hold off on wally world equipment for now. Better to just stick to bodyweight exercises. Good quality equipment will last a lifetime- worth waiting a few weeks. I actually own some Walmart dumbbells and an EZ curl bar in addition to my Rogue equipment. I only regret the Walmart stuff. Wish I had just paid the extra. As they say, the joy of low price stays for an instant, the bitterness of poor quality lasts as long as you use the item.
NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 »

ponyboy wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:11 am I sold a lot of equipment I didnt want or wasnt using much, for a very large profit. I bought my power rack for $400 and sold it for $1200. Olympic weight plates that typically sell for $0.50/lb were selling for $2/lb. It was a fun run, and will probably never happen again. Since gyms are soon to open, prices are starting to level out. If you're thinking about unloading your used equipment, you missed out.

The best part is...when gyms reopen, everyone will want to sell all the equipment they panic bought. They will flood the market and prices will plummet. There will be a lot of deals to be had within the next 6 months.
I was lucky to grab a rack, plates and some bars I ordered the day our governor shut down the gyms (3/16) and NY was one of the first.

But to your point, in addition to folks trying to unload their home equipment, unfortunately you're probably going to see a lot of smaller gyms not make it through the shutdown (even Gold's announced it was closing a few), so you'll have a flood of their equipment on the market too. I'll stock up then and top off my home gym setup.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

SimpleMan68 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:00 am Thank you everyone for your replies. Pretty much what I thought. Looks like for the time being I' going to have to continue with my push-ups, sit-ups, planks and body weight squats. And a long bike ride almost every day.
If you're like most people that buy gym equipment, it will be tossed in the basement after a month.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

It's not just buying equipment new that's getting ridiculous. I need to make a repair on my recumbent exercise bike. The small plastic wheels that hold the bike stable against the track when the seat is locked crumbled to pieces last week. It's like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride to use the bike with the broken wheels because the seat rocks side-to-side quite a bit.

Every place I've found with the replacement part wants $10-15 per wheel. That would be $80-100 to replace all 8 wheels (although only 4 would be needed to hold it stable when locked, the other 4 allow it to move along the track when unlocked). I'm at the point where I'm going to try to fashion something out of scrap lumber, or see if I can find similarly sized rubber wheels for toys or the like, because that's just an absurd price to pay for a 4.5" piece of plastic.

Edit: Glad I measured again rather than trusting the websites. The wheels are only 1.5" OD. The labeled 4.5" on the website must be the package the wheel comes it (or someone was off by one row on the 10-key and its propagated to all the sites that list the part).