Zoom meetings

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
go_mets

Zoom meetings

Post by go_mets »

My mom had meeting ID and password for a Zoom meeting ... pilates.
The meeting is normally on Wednesdays but was today for one time only.

I connected the laptop to the TV by HDMI and everything was fine, but at 20 minutes into the meeting, it stopped.
I tried logging in again but there was just one person in the meeting.

Are the meeting IDs the same from week to week?
Did the "owner" of the meeting not block out the time properly?
If you can see others in the meeting, does that mean that the meeting has already started?

Just trying to understand this new technology.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Zoom meetings

Post by nisiprius »

I am new to multiuser Zoom meetings, too. In the middle of one last week I was kicked out for no apparent reason. After a few minutes I was sent a new invitation.

The host apologized. She said that with Zoom, the free plan has a 40 minutes time limit on meetings with more than two participants. She thought that she was using her organizations own paid-for account with no time limit, but she had apparently done something wrong and was using a free account with a 40-minute limit. Of the fifteen people who had been in the meeting, about six trickled back in...

It's a learning process.

Imagine how desolated I am to discover that my computer doesn't have a powerful-enough processor to use the Zoom background-replacement feature. I was hoping I could be participating from the surface of the Moon, or from the interior of a warehouse full of toilet paper.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

The instructor did mention something about 40 minutes.
So it seems that if the participants are able to get into the "room" that the meeting has already started.
That's what it seems to have happened.
I was able to get in at 9:45 am but there was already others in the room.

I also need to figure out whether my laptop has the ability to output audio on HDMI.
It said that is what it was doing but no audio from the TV's speaker. :?

runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

go_mets wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:29 am The instructor did mention something about 40 minutes.
40 minutes is the limit for "free" accounts if you have >2 people connected.
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

go_mets wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:29 am I also need to figure out whether my laptop has the ability to output audio on HDMI.
HDMI can handle audio. You may need to play with the audio settings on the laptop to get it working properly though.
Topic Author
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

runner3081 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:35 am
go_mets wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:29 am The instructor did mention something about 40 minutes.
Yes I understand, but when does the 40 minute start?
When the participants are able to log into the room?

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

go_mets wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:49 am

I have a free account and I'm a new user. For my first meeting as an organizer I told everyone to expect that at 40 min the meeting would end. I told them to plan to log back in; that I would restart using the same meeting link.

However, at about 40 min a message flashed to me (the meeting organizer) to the effect that Zoom has waived the 40 min time limit due to the Corona virus. Since then I've held 3 other meetings, all over 40 minutes, and not one was terminated due to the time limit.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

go_mets wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:05 am
With the Paid-For version I can either use the same ID week-to-week (My Personal-Room) or set up a new one. So it can work either way.
Not sure if the free version is any different.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:10 am
With the Paid-For version I can either use the same ID week-to-week (My Personal-Room) or set up a new one. So it can work either way.
same for free version.
Topic Author
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

Thank you all.

Looks like today Zoom did do a hard cutoff.
The instructor will probably have to open the meeting room at 9:50 am and start the 30-minute instruction at 10 am sharp.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

The paid version has been well worth it for 1 or 2 virtual happy hours/wk.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Luke Duke wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:22 am
As has the free version :moneybag
Topic Author
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

Is the organizer the only person who can open "the room" used for the meeting?
Or can anyone go into the "room" if they have the Meeting # ?
If the latter is the case then the timer started at 9:40 am today.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

go_mets wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:49 am

It starts when the person who sets the conference, begins the conference.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

go_mets wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:08 pm Is the organizer the only person who can open "the room" used for the meeting?

When the organizer sets up the meeting they specify if there will be a waiting room or not. They also specify if participants can enter a meeting before the organizer.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

How can I change my name that appears on zoom when I log in?

I participate in an event on zoom with my name, then my husband recently used zoom on our same computer (desk top) for an unrelated event, different log-in number, and the screen used my name, not his. We were unable to change it and they didn't know who he was (we don't have a mic or camera on our computer).
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of [Financial] Wisdom"- Pillar 6: The Eternal Triangle. Risk, return & cost are the 3 sides of the eternal triangle of investing and are too powerful to ignore.
BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 »

If the host lets people in too early on a personal account, Zoom will kick you out right when you reach the 40-min mark. If they use the paid account next time it will not limit you to 40 minutes. I try to let people in 5 minutes before the meeting is scheduled.

Zoom has been easy to use but the frustrating part for me so far has been scheduling meetings. The time zone does not always "stick" and I have to double check that I am hosting at the correct time...this requires me to check the Google calendar invite. For someone not very tech-savvy they wouldn't know to check for a potential time zone problem.

Zoom lets you add extra time for your next scheduled meeting when using a personal account. I don't have the paid version.
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:41 pm How can I change my name that appears on zoom when I log in?

I participate in an event on zoom with my name, then my husband recently used zoom on our same computer (desk top) for an unrelated event, different log-in number, and the screen used my name, not his. We were unable to change it and they didn't know who he was (we don't have a mic or camera on our computer).
In your menu, you can select the option to show meeting participants. On my PC, they are then listed on the right side of the screen. Just highlight your name that should be at the top of that list, open the sub-menu that appears (3 dots) when you click on your name, and the rename option will be available.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

neilpilot wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: How can I change my name that appears on zoom when I log in?

In your menu, you can select the option to show meeting participants. On my PC, they are then listed on the right side of the screen. Just highlight your name that should be at the top of that list, open the sub-menu that appears (3 dots) when you click on your name, and the rename option will be available.
Thank you so much :happy
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of [Financial] Wisdom"- Pillar 6: The Eternal Triangle. Risk, return & cost are the 3 sides of the eternal triangle of investing and are too powerful to ignore.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

I have a related Q - for those of us who do not have a mic and camera installed on our desk top computer, what do you recommend we purchase to add to our computer so we have zoom access via mic and camera? We are able to hear what's on zoom via our computer speakers, and we can type into zoom to participate via writing, but mic and camera would be nice.

Computer is large Dell Inspiron, windows.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:59 pm I have a related Q - for those of us who do not have a mic and camera installed on our desk top computer, what do you recommend we purchase to add to our computer so we have zoom access via mic and camera? We are able to hear what's on zoom via our computer speakers, and we can type into zoom to participate via writing, but mic and camera would be nice.

While a mic & camera on your pc is ideal, you can use call in using your phone while also participating on your pc
dbr

Post by dbr »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:59 pm I have a related Q - for those of us who do not have a mic and camera installed on our desk top computer, what do you recommend we purchase to add to our computer so we have zoom access via mic and camera? We are able to hear what's on zoom via our computer speakers, and we can type into zoom to participate via writing, but mic and camera would be nice.

I would suggest if you use a phone that you find a way to prop it up or use a stand so the picture is not dancing all over as you move a little.

I can't recommend any device in particular but this is what Dell offers: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/web-cameras/ar/6357

We have been on Zoom but my wife has an iMAC which worked just fine. I also have an iPAD which works well for apps like Hangouts, but us probably too small a screen for Zoom.

We were just commenting today how impossibly still the commentators on TV news stand or sit, especially when they are in one window and someone else is talking. But it is distracting when they move around. I don't know how they do it.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

neilpilot wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:26 am
It would appear that my happy hours last much longer than your's.
Topic Author
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

BrownEyedGirl_27 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:47 pm If the host lets people in too early on a personal account, Zoom will kick you out right when you reach the 40-min mark.
It seems the meeting room mentioned above is included in the 40 minutes.

It was interesting hearing the emails my mother read to me.
For some reason the organizer and others thought the meeting is an hour and that Zoom was trying to squeeze the organizer for money.
LOL.
Did the meetings use to be 1 hour back before Zoom became popular?

LeftCoast

Post by LeftCoast »

Buy a webcam from a reputable manufacturer like Logitech. Webcams have been sold out for a while, but are starting to be available again.

Both my wife and I have Dell desktops and we have purchased Logitech webcams so that we can participate in Zoom meetings. They were easy to install and now we have both video and audio.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

neilpilot, dbr and LeftCoast - thank you for your suggestions and the link. Now I know what to buy.
BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 »

go_mets wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:16 pm
BrownEyedGirl_27 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:47 pm If the host lets people in too early on a personal account, Zoom will kick you out right when you reach the 40-min mark.
It seems the meeting room mentioned above is included in the 40 minutes.

It was interesting hearing the emails my mother read to me.
For some reason the organizer and others thought the meeting is an hour and that Zoom was trying to squeeze the organizer for money.
LOL.
Did the meetings use to be 1 hour back before Zoom became popular?

I couldn't find anything in the Zoom press archives mentioning meetings longer than 40 minutes before it got popular. The paid version called Pro includes a 24-hour meeting duration for 100 participants. https://zoom.us/pricing
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Luke Duke wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:53 pm
neilpilot wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:26 am
It would appear that my happy hours last much longer than your's.
Possibly. We usually go 90 min to 2 hours. As I posted above, I've hosted 4 zooms and all have run past the 40min cutoff, with a message at the 40min mark that they have waived the time limit.
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

go_mets wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:05 am My mom had meeting ID and password for a Zoom meeting ... pilates.

I connected the laptop to the TV by HDMI and everything was fine, but at 20 minutes into the meeting, it stopped.

If you can see others in the meeting, does that mean that the meeting has already started?

Newbie senior citizen here and so these questions might be a little dumb - DW and I have a laptop with HDMI port and our non-smart TV has an HDMI port , pretty sure of that , so there will be two displays , will I have to tell the laptop what's happening with that second display or will it figure it out on its' own - Windows 10 O/S - so then I need to download the Zoom app ( software ) onto my laptop - the goal is to replace apple FaceTime with Zoom so that we can have family chats periodically - so we have us family A , our son family B , and our daughter family C - I'm assuming we all have to have devices with cameras - and so our image is being sent via the internet to B & C and we can see B & C on our TV screen , is that how it works ?
Topic Author
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

ubermax wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:39 pm
go_mets wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:05 am My mom had meeting ID and password for a Zoom meeting ... pilates.

Newbie senior citizen here and so these questions might be a little dumb - DW and I have a laptop with HDMI port and our non-smart TV has an HDMI port , pretty sure of that , so there will be two displays , will I have to tell the laptop what's happening with that second display or will it figure it out on its' own - Windows 10 O/S - so then I need to download the Zoom app ( software ) onto my laptop - the goal is to replace apple FaceTime with Zoom so that we can have family chats periodically - so we have us family A , our son family B , and our daughter family C - I'm assuming we all have to have devices with cameras - and so our image is being sent via the internet to B & C and we can see B & C on our TV screen , is that how it works ?
My laptop also runs Windows 10.
I did not download the Zoom app.
I went to Zoom.com on Firefox.
And click on button to Join meeting.
It did require me to download an EXE file and run it. Not sure what that was.
But after I did that, I was able to enter the Meeting ID # and the password for the meeting.

I did Fn+F8 and Windows 10 gave me four options and I choose the option to Duplicate the laptop's screen to the TV that is connected by HDMI cable to the laptop.
You don't need to connect the laptop to the TV.
I did it so my mom could see the person leading the Pilates class better.
If you are just doing this with family, a connection to a TV isn't really necessary.
This Pilates class had about 24 people.

I thought Facetime lets you do this sort of thing.

Because of security concerns, the countries of Taiwan and Singapore have outlawed Zoom.
You may want to look into Cisco's Webex which is free.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

neilpilot wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:52 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:41 pm How can I change my name that appears on zoom when I log in?

Just a quick FYI: the option to rename oneself can be disabled by the Zoom host. One form of Zoom bombing is to rename oneself something profane, so that feature can now be disabled. I can't recall if it's always been something that could be disabled or something that was added recently in response to Zoom bombings "in the wild".

Other Zoom features I disable for open meeting are virtual backgrounds and profile avatars. Zoom lets people upload any picture or video as a virtual background and any picture as a profile avatar, so just think of how badly that would go. Likewise, Zoom lets you disable chat, because someone can type repeated profanity as a Zoom bombing.

My agency just paid for the Zoom Webinar feature. Webinars work fine for public meetings with a set speaker list and clear rules for public comment, but don't work for meetings with fluid interactions between participants. So I've taken time to make myself familiar with all Zoom bombing avenues and how to prevent them.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

I have the paid version but tell participants that I have the free to limit meetings to 40 minutes :sharebeer
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

go_mets wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:08 pm Is the organizer the only person who can open "the room" used for the meeting?

There is a waiting room feature supposedly for security; what that means is that attendees don't enter the meeting directly by themselves. The organizer needs to keep bringing folks in from the waiting room. It is up to the organizer whether or not to enable this feature.

If you are joining from a smartphone, you will be able to see only one person - the speaker. On a laptop, you can tile the view to see multiple attendees.
BL

Post by BL »

I just got a Amcrest 1080P WebCam from Amazon for under $60. Got it hooked up, tested, and ready for our weekly family Zoom meeting on either the desk top or IdeaPad. I am a rank amateur but it was no problem to get it going. Ordered it Saturday and it arrived early on Wednesday even though it said between Thurs-Tuesday.

The reviews were pretty good but the much more expensive ones like Logitech would have more features, etc. I understand Amcrest is into security cameras and rather new at webcams. GS has a college Zoom account so no more trouble with time cut-offs.

I couldn't get my new Lenovo Idea Pad s340 camera to take any picture, and the small screen Chromebook didn't have great sound, so decided to get the WebCam.
Topic Author
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

an_asker wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:12 pm

There is a waiting room feature supposedly for security; what that means is that attendees don't enter the meeting directly by themselves. The organizer needs to keep bringing folks in from the waiting room. It is up to the organizer whether or not to enable this feature.

If you are joining from a smartphone, you will be able to see only one person - the speaker. On a laptop, you can tile the view to see multiple attendees.
I was Googling and the feature is called Join Before Host.
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... efore-Host

On a free account when 3 or more participants log in to the meeting, the 40-minute timer starts.
The host logged in at 9:57 am but there were already 2 or 3 people in the meeting at 9:45 am when my mom joined the meeting.
There was even one woman putting away her laundry. :happy

My mom emailed the host about this; I am certain that the host did not know this.
If the host wants to maximize the 40 minutes she will have to disable the Join Before Host.
Topic Author
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

BL wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:52 am I just got a Amcrest 1080P WebCam from Amazon for under $60. Got it hooked up, tested, and ready for our weekly family Zoom meeting on either the desk top or IdeaPad. I am a rank amateur but it was no problem to get it going. Ordered it Saturday and it arrived early on Wednesday even though it said between Thurs-Tuesday.

The reviews were pretty good but the much more expensive ones like Logitech would have more features, etc. I understand Amcrest is into security cameras and rather new at webcams. GS has a college Zoom account so no more trouble with time cut-offs.

I couldn't get my new Lenovo Idea Pad s340 camera to take any picture, and the small screen Chromebook didn't have great sound, so decided to get the WebCam.
Your family may want to consider Cisco Webex Free plan. Less security issues.
https://www.webex.com/pricing/index.html
BL

Post by BL »

go_mets wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:23 am
BL wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:52 am I just got a Amcrest 1080P WebCam from Amazon for under $60. Got it hooked up, tested, and ready for our weekly family Zoom meeting on either the desk top or IdeaPad. I am a rank amateur but it was no problem to get it going. Ordered it Saturday and it arrived early on Wednesday even though it said between Thurs-Tuesday.

Your family may want to consider Cisco Webex Free plan. Less security issues.
https://www.webex.com/pricing/index.html
Thanks.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

So it seems that if the participants are able to get into the "room" that the meeting has already started.

I also need to figure out whether my laptop has the ability to output audio on HDMI.

So is this a class where your wife is paying the instructor, and then the instructor is trying to use Zoom for free? A paid zoom account is only $15/month.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Topic Author
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:28 am

So is this a class where your wife is paying the instructor, and then the instructor is trying to use Zoom for free? A paid zoom account is only $15/month.
No, the instruction is free.

From the last email the instructor sent my mom, the instructor will try out the paid account, but the instruction is still free.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

If the instruction is free, your wife might volunteer to take up a collection to pay for the zoom account for the instructor. I’m sure the instructor isn’t making much money right now.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.