Which new kid's bike to buy online?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
WaffleCone

Which new kid's bike to buy online?

Post by WaffleCone » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:06 am

My two oldest boys, ages 9 and 10, are in dire need of new bikes. In the past we bought $100-150 bikes from Walmart and Target, or found one in good condition on CL. They have all been junk and ready for the trash after a season. Things like pedals breaking, brake cables pulling out, handlebars that won't stay tight, kickstands that require delicate balancing to get the bike to stand, etc. My kids are rough but so was I and my bike as a kid never had any of these problems. I went to a local bike store and was lectured about buying from Walmart but all their options were $500++.

What online stores should I consider for a kids bike? Looking to spend about $300/bike but it needs to last until they outgrow it. I was checking out bikesdirect but then read that it's private label junk that's only slightly better than Walmart. I think they'd like one BMX bike and one with gears. They drive mainly on the street with some light trails. Nothing serious, just for riding around the neighborhood. Any particular features I should get?

Thanks.

UPDATE: I tried a few online stores but most had a 3+ week backorder wait. So I went to a different LBS and !!WOW!! What a difference from what we purchased before. For slightly under $850 I got 2 small-frame 26" Canondale bikes adjusted to fit the kids. Lighter weight, and stopping and shifting is MUCH improved. Not inexpensive but they had a big selection and spent over an hour with us going through the options.

If I ordered online, I probably would have went with Guardian or Priority Bikes.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Last edited by WaffleCone on Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Re: Which new kid's bike to buy online?

Post by livesoft » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:10 am

We never had any problems with Walmart bikes, but I was bike mechanic, so I was able to put them together properly and make sure all the nuts and bolts were tightened properly.

Use the money you save when you buy Walmart bikes on a good set of tools that your kids can use to maintain and repair their bikes.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:23 am

Well the first thing I’d say is that there’s a reason bike shop bikes are more expensive than Walmart bikes. They use better quality standard parts and are repairable. But if your kids are that hard on bikes, you’re going to need to learn how to do bike repair yourself, or bike ownership is going to be expensive no matter what.

I would stick to the Walmart bikes until they are big enough for adult bikes. Then get a bike store bike, and start teaching them how to do their own repairs. Also maybe about the cost of parts and repairs. They don’t have to be as hard on the bikes as they are.

I see a steady stream of kids bikes in thrift stores, when they’re open. Until the stores open up, probably Craigslist.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

medic

Post by medic » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:29 am

Diamondbacks are okay entry bikes to get online. Otherwise, look on CL for the brands you see at the local bike shop.
Alternatively, check sporting goods stores like Dicks or REI. Those will run the gambit for decent to costing more than my first car.

We've bought used Specialized bikes that have held up well, but we can do hand me downs so we can average out over a few seasons. Kids take these mountain biking so they get some wear, but haven't needed any major work.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:31 am

Mmm. Try secondhand. For a quality kid's bike, you're looking probably in the $400-500 range for a 9 or 10 year old. I'd check a Giant retailer as they seem to be a bit more competitively priced although apparently with the pandemic bikes are flying off the shelves.. (24" wheel?) Walmart bikes are fine IMO if the kids aren't going to ride them much, but my then 5yo rode his Huffy into the ground and that was with reasonable maintenance. We also repaired a $10 thrift store bike with about $40 in parts. It was okay and then we lucked into a deal on a nice kids' bike and haven't looked back. A bike collective also might have a solid kids' bike in the $100-$200 range.

We love our Woom bikes for the smaller kids (16" and 20" wheels) but I found them both gently used ($100 for one, $300 for the other) and both will get used and then resold. For us it's worth it but I have a 6yo who does 10 mile rides with me regularly and we do neighborhood rides and light trail rides daily.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:34 am

All of the problems you describe are attributable to improper assembly. Bolts are loose, cables not secure (again, a loose bolt holding the cable), who uses a kick stand? Pull it off. Bring it to a "real" bike shop and spend $50 on a tune up and go-over. I worked at a real bike shop back in high school and road raced bicycles. Yes, there's a difference between anything at Wal Mart and a $500 BMX bike (I bought my younger son a $500 BMX bike one year for his birthday and it's been rock solid). How about this? If the kids are into BMX type bikes, go to the local "real" bike shop or skateboard/BMX shop and buy a lower end "real" BMX bike. Or check a general "real" bike shop. We're lucky to have a really good shop that carries top end downhill bikes and can service everything. There's where you want to go. Buying online is NOT the way to go here. You'll get a boxed up bike that YOU have to build. If these little problems you mention make you think that the bikes need to be junked, then you shouldn't be building a bike.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:43 am

Oh, also, many of the major bike brands are now shipping online due to the pandemic, either direct or to the local bike shop for final delivery. So you're not limited to bikesdirect or whatever. IME having bought online once through Chain Reaction Cycles, typically the only thing you have to do is mount the front wheel, put on the pedals, and set the handlebars. If you can work an Allen wrench you'll be fine.

DelmarvaDC

Post by DelmarvaDC » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:02 am

I have been very happy with the REI brand for kids' bike -- the Coop. We have been able to pass the bikes down as the older one ages out so they seem to be fairly durable. I see that they are currently "on sale" to be be near the Walmart price. As a bonus, you can take them in to REI for an included 6-month tune-up.

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:04 am

I don't agree that Walmart bikes are bad because they are assembled poorly. That's just part of the problem. They are also cheaply built with disposable components. My son's friend has a walmart bike, it is unnecessarily heavy with a crappy suspension (that does not work anyway so he'd be better off with no suspension). The cranks and levers are not size appropriately for kids. And the crappy components make it shift and ride poorly.

I have always bought quality bikes for my son from a Local Bike Shop, and I get around 60% of my money back when I sell. Walmart bikes end up in the dumpster, so I'd get zero back. The point is that a good bikes doesn't cost that much more than a walmart bike when you consider resale value.

Weight is very important for kids. I am 150lbs and my mountain bike is 22 lbs. My son weights around 50lbs and his 20" mountain bike is the same weight after upgrading a lot of parts. It is hard for them to pedal uphill and maneuver a bike that weights 3X more than an adult bike relatively speaking. He is now moving to a 24" bike and will have to spend at least $1,500 to get him a 21 lbs bike, which is the lightest available at that size.

Bikesdirect is not junk, you can get a decent lower end bike there for a good price. Stay away from their full suspension bikes, as those require good engineering that I don't think they have access to.

ETA: on specific retailer information, check this ones (assuming you want a MTB):
https://www.commencalusa.com/ - their 24" bike starts in the $400s
https://www.trailcraftcycles.com/bikes/ - specialized in kids bikes
https://www.norco.com/ - offers a little more variety
Last edited by sk2101 on Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:07 am

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/kid ... bikes.html

My 8yr old daughter, who regularly does 20+ mile rides with her mom on her absurdly heavy Schwinn will be getting one of these for Christmas http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gra ... .htm#gsize

Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:10 am

I have always been fortunate to get good deals on "real" bikes through CL, or our town holds a bike sale every May too.

I generally have gotten Trek or Specialized mountain bikes for around $100-120. My view is that bike "technology" really hasn't changed, so I am fine paying $100 for an all-aluminum Trek mountain bike that is 5 yrs old and still in good condition vs paying $400 for a brand new version at a bike story today. Let someone else eat the depreciation. I wouldn't be as likely to spend $60 on a 5 yr old "Thrasher Pro" or whatever brand came from WalMart though. That is more likely to be $60 wasted

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:16 am

At these ages, I would not buy my kids a bike with suspension nor gears to shift. I run/walk/jog near four elementary and middle schools, so I see a lot of kids on bikes. I have never seen a child that age ever shift any gears even though there are plenty of inclines/hills that would require it. Many of the kids just get off their fancy bikes and walk up the hills.

I wouldn't buy a Walmart bike with gears nor suspension crap.

financiallycurious

Post by financiallycurious » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:22 am

I've bought all of my 9-year old's bikes used. My three favorite brands for reasonably priced kids bikes with suspension are trek, giant and norco (buy direct from any of their sites). We live in the mountains, and he is on trails all the time and definitely appreciates suspension and gears, and has for several years.
Last edited by financiallycurious on Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:22 am

livesoft wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:16 am
At these ages, I would not buy my kids a bike with suspension nor gears to shift. I run/walk/jog near four elementary and middle schools, so I see a lot of kids on bikes. I have never seen a child that age ever shift any gears even though there are plenty of inclines/hills that would require it. Many of the kids just get off their fancy bikes and walk up the hills.
My first bike with gears was ~7. My very tall 8yr old daughter has ridden her (4'10") aunt's road bike countless times. I wouldn't be going clipless for a few more years, but 9 and 10yr old can definitely handle gears unless they are totally new to riding bikes in general.
Last edited by stoptothink on Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

vveat

Post by vveat » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:23 am

We buy them through Amazon, we've done it 3 times already and very satisfied

Just bought last week a new larger bike for our 9-year old son
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

And last March bought this one for the then 10-year old daughter
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Both were ~$300, no quality problems, easy assembly (well, my husband did that part with the kids and said it was easy :sharebeer )

He himself got a new bike last week (previous one got stolen) also from Amazon for $480, also no complaints

We bought only once from a bike shop (mine) and while I am generally happy with the bike and the price, the process was more hassle and we had to wait for it anyway.

zimmer0

Post by zimmer0 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:23 am

danscomp.com

bikechuck

Post by bikechuck » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:23 am

livesoft wrote:
At these ages, I would not buy my kids a bike with suspension nor gears to shift.
I agree with your comments about suspension but my five year old granddaughter goes for ten mile rides on her Trek bicycle with her parents and she has shifting down. I remember buying my daughter a toy store bike when she graduated from her trike over 30 years ago. When I realized what a piece of crap it was during assembly I returned it to the toy store and purchased her a bike from a local bike shop. She rode it, her younger sister rode it and then we gave it to a neighbor kid. I'll bet that it is still being passed around and on the road as long as it was not abused.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:25 am

Thanks for the comments about children who can shift. All the parents I see are not shifting either. So you have special children. :)

wilked

Post by wilked » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:28 am

My 7 year old has been switching gears for a year. It comes pretty naturally.

Also, buy second hand on bikes til they are in their teens. They outgrow bikes quickly. Also good for the environment

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:30 am

livesoft wrote:

I wouldn't buy a Walmart bike with gears nor suspension crap.
It all depends on the kid and what they are going to do with the bike. Where I ride, there are many kids who are amazing on a bike - I am sure there are several who can kick my a$$ on a bike. I am raising my son to be one of them.
This is a great video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQoOwl4zfgI

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:44 am

My three kids, 10-14, all have 24" Specialized mountain bikes. Other than flat tires from thorns, there have been no problems.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:55 am

stoptothink wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:07 am

My 8yr old daughter, who regularly does 20+ mile rides with her mom on her absurdly heavy Schwinn will be getting one of these for Christmas http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gra ... .htm#gsize
Second bikes direct recommendation. They are a good option when you want something a bit better than Walmart but can't justify a bike shop bike (in the case of a growing kid). No matter where you go, avoid models with suspension in this price range. Any suspension components on a bike costing that little are likely to be a significant weak point.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:37 am

We just got Woom bikes for our 9 year olds. I worked in bike shops for many years and these are really nice bikes. Unfortunately they seem to be out of stock on pretty much everything at the moment. In that case, you might consider buying used - but if you aren't comfortable doing some basic maintenance, this is likely to lead to disappointment.

The kid's new bikes are all geared with hand brakes only, and I was worried they'd have trouble adapting from their single-speeds with pedal brakes. It took them about 20 minutes to adapt and they are now shifting gears and climbing hills that we out of reach on their old bikes.

As others have mentioned, weight is a big deal here. The 24" bikes we just bought are about 18lbs. A typical Walmart bike with suspension might be 30lbs or more. Department store bikes really are junk. Even if they are adjusted perfectly the gears will never shift easily or smoothly, the brakes will never be that powerful and may take a lot more hand strength to engage them at all, wheels will bend far easier, and so on. It's just not worth the hassle in the long run. Even if you spend more now on a quality bike you'll recoup much of the difference by being able to sell it for good money used. If you also buy used in the first place, the net cost may be near zero.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:55 am

To re-confirm onourway, bike shop experience tells you that Wal-mart stuff is junk. Ask your local bike shop mechanic their opinion. All that I know HATE even trying to work on those.

9 years old is close to where we are. We went with a 24 inch Scott. We are getting our younger a 20" Salsa. As others have said, look at weight. It's not ideal, but the 20" will weigh 23 lbs. It will, however, be much used and enjoyed. We ride a LOT, so the investment is worth it for us.

I'm not sure if you have other kids, but if there is one younger than 9, a nice bike will be a good hand me down.

J Dough

Post by J Dough » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:00 pm

Here's another option:

https://www.prioritybicycles.com/

It's a company that builds quality bikes that require minimal maintenance.

surfinagin

Post by surfinagin » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:23 pm

25 years ago, weary of the Toys-R-Us revolving door replacing bike$ as kids grew, wanted to move them up ASAP to full size.
Kids were ages 8 & 10. Bought (2) Nishiki Pueblo mountain bikes at Dick's: 16.5" frame/26" wheel, $280 each.
(They still ride them.)
YMMV :beer

Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:31 pm

surfinagin wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:23 pm
25 years ago, weary of the Toys-R-Us revolving door replacing bike$ as kids grew, wanted to move them up ASAP to full size.
Kids were ages 8 & 10. Bought (2) Nishiki Pueblo mountain bikes at Dick's: 16.5" frame/26" wheel, $280 each.
(They still ride them.)
We bought our 11 year old a nishiki bike at Dick's for Christmas - seems pretty decent for the price. They often have significant sales. To my untrained eyes, the bike seemed to have most of the same components as the schwinn sitting next to it. I do think it's heavy though. I didn't want to spend the cash until they are bigger.

surfinagin

Post by surfinagin » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:53 pm

Hoosier CPA wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:31 pm
surfinagin wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:23 pm
(They still ride them.)
We bought our 11 year old a nishiki bike at Dick's for Christmas - seems pretty decent for the price. They often have significant sales. To my untrained eyes, the bike seemed to have most of the same components as the schwinn sitting next to it. I do think it's heavy though. I didn't want to spend the cash until they are bigger.
Yes, "acceptable quality" was my perception of the Nishikis back then also, and they were on sale.
Of course parents know their kids and the level of abuse expected, and therefore know the related level of quality required for their bikes.
My kids were taught to take care of their stuff (if they were boys maybe the Nishikis wouldn't have survived -who knows!).
Though I still ride the 46-yr old Schwinn LeTour 10 speed that I bought myself as a kid.
And the Mrs and I also still have the 25-yr old Nishiki Manitoba mountain bikes we bought with the Pueblos!
Boglehead Rules 8-)

$tar-Lord

Post by $tar-Lord » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:11 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:55 am
stoptothink wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:07 am

Second bikes direct recommendation. They are a good option when you want something a bit better than Walmart but can't justify a bike shop bike (in the case of a growing kid). No matter where you go, avoid models with suspension in this price range. Any suspension components on a bike costing that little are likely to be a significant weak point.
Third recommendation. I've purchased four BD bikes and am happy with all of them. One was a fat tire kids bike for my daughter and another was a 13in frame men's mountain bike for my 9 year old son.

They also have a related site where they sell scratch and dent models (http://www.bikeisland.com)

yolli71

Post by yolli71 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:37 pm

We just bought our kids, 10 & 8, Woom bikes. Really nice, high quality, extremely light bikes...but it will run you around $500 per bike. Our kids love them. Made in USA too which is also nice.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:49 pm

Topic Author
WaffleCone

Post by WaffleCone » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:03 pm

Thanks. Lots of good info here to digest.

The issues with the big-box bikes are beyond "bad assembly". One bike uses primarily plastic pedals which have split or broken completely. Another has handlebars that won't stay tight no matter how much the head-nut is tightened. The handle brakes are terrible, both in terms of stopping power and getting the caliper to stay properly adjusted. On the shifter, the spring that tensions the chain sticks periodically. These things can be fixed but I'm tired of it and replacing parts isn't cheap. Just finding a compatible part is a challenge.

My kids aren't abusive with their bikes but they are kids. They want to get on and ride, plop it down or use the kickstand if it works, then pick it up and go. That's how I used my bike too. Seasonal maintenance or fixing a flat is fine. Is that too much to expect?

batpot

Post by batpot » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:18 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:49 pm
This is a great resource - https://www.twowheelingtots.com/kids-24-inch-bikes/
great resource.
their advise is always: buy the lowest weight bike you can afford.

go to craigslist/offerup, and buy used.

mgensler

Post by mgensler » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:21 pm

If they are ready for 26" bikes, there are not a lot of options. Our 10 year olds just upgraded to 26" Woom bikes. They are great bikes for kids as they are only 20 lbs. Plus the chainring (front gear) is small so they can climb hills easily. They had 24" Orbea MX that cost about the same but are made with much heavier frames. Your kids will enjoy these bikes and you will find riding with them enjoyable as they can keep a decent pace.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:22 pm

WaffleCone wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:06 am
... I think they'd like one BMX bike and one with gears. They drive mainly on the street with some light trails. Nothing serious, just for riding around the neighborhood. Any particular features I should get?...
Based on their usage I would just buy them two BMX bikes. Saves any argument over who gets which bike. Plus for a regular bike you would be looking at a 24 inch size wheel which is often the most hated size among those of us who tinker with our kids bicycles as they outgrow them so quickly. Either way you will get much better value at buying a slightly higher level bicycle and buying it used.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:40 pm

WaffleCone wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:03 pm
Thanks. Lots of good info here to digest.

The issues with the big-box bikes are beyond "bad assembly". One bike uses primarily plastic pedals which have split or broken completely. Another has handlebars that won't stay tight no matter how much the head-nut is tightened. The handle brakes are terrible, both in terms of stopping power and getting the caliper to stay properly adjusted. On the shifter, the spring that tensions the chain sticks periodically. These things can be fixed but I'm tired of it and replacing parts isn't cheap. Just finding a compatible part is a challenge.

My kids aren't abusive with their bikes but they are kids. They want to get on and ride, plop it down or use the kickstand if it works, then pick it up and go. That's how I used my bike too. Seasonal maintenance or fixing a flat is fine. Is that too much to expect?
My suspicion is that the big box quality has gotten worse. My kid's first bike was destroyed by the time he was five. He didn't treat it badly. The bike was never left out in the rain or dented. But a year of use had the seat worn out, the hub destroyed, the brakes weakening and the tires bald. My son is a strong boy but a short five year old should not be able to pedal a chain off a single speed. Replacing the parts was more than the cost of the bike and nothing was standard.

By contrast, we have had no repairs on the Woom 3 other when the front wheel axle lost a nut and the company replaced it after we emailed, even though we were the second owner. And we'd fixed the problem with a nonproprietary part - it just didn't look as polished.

Other things: you're probably looking at a bike with gears unless you go the BMX route. We found it very hard to find a decent kid's bike that didn't have gears, or cruiser or bmx geometry, but that had handbrakes. If they're just cruising the neighborhood they might like the BMX bikes, but any kind of distance and the gears will be nice, unless you're somewhere pancake flat.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:48 pm

sounds like they need to first be taught to respect their bikes. Do they ride up and throw them on the ground? run over terrain not meant for bikes? Teach them to respect all their property, then how to repair when the tear it up.

Post by 999 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:54 pm

How tall are they?

My 9 yr old out grew his 24” woom. He really enjoyed the woom and if he had one over all bike, I would definitely recommend them. He took to biking so ended up getting different bikes for specific times. A 18” street bmx bike, 20” bmx track bike, and a 26” hard tail for off road trails.

My other two kids weren’t too much into biking and have two 20” bmx bikes I bought online for around $300 when the new models were coming out. Have been good and last. With bmx bikes you have to pay attention to top tube length for sizing so that’s why I asked for their height. Albes, J&R and Danscomp have them and usually ship free. $300-350 range would get a good bmx with quality parts if you want to go that route.

For the younger ages Specialized Hotrock bikes were good Craigslist deals and could usually sell them for close to what I bought them for, but I’m guessing your 9 yr old won’t be on a 24” long (in a man size).

bago

Post by bago » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:17 pm

I just faced the same question for my son's 9th birthday. The two bicycles I narrowed the search down to were:

1. Trek Precaliber 24"
2. Specialized Hot Rock 24"

The Trex ended up being sold out, so we went with the Specialized bicycle. It's a very nice, high quality mountain bicycle and my son really likes it.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

LLeaff

Post by LLeaff » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:25 pm

This Raleigh bike caught my eye:

https://www.raleighusa.com/kids/9-12-years/eva24

Any opinions or experiences with Raleigh bicycles?

Thanks

Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:21 pm

LLeaff wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:25 pm
This Raleigh bike caught my eye:

https://www.raleighusa.com/kids/9-12-years/eva24

Any opinions or experiences with Raleigh bicycles?

Thanks
Was about to post it. Bought one 7 years ago and still ride it. Spent ~$350

AustenNut

Post by AustenNut » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:01 am

I see that you've already found a bike, but wanted to second "twowheelingtots.com" as a great resource, and Guardian as a great bike. We bought a 16" one for our son over the summer, and it has been wonderful. Lightweight, great hand-brake, and less expensive than some of the other recommended brands, like Woom. Also, great customer service and arrived mostly assembled.

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:29 pm

Walmart and ex-Toys R Us bikes are just fine. If things are loose, then likely it was not properly assembled. Plenty of youtube videos on how to tune it. No point dropping $300 on a Diamondback or more expensive bike which you will have to maintain (or pay someone to do so) and they are going to outgrow in 2-3 years when you can pick one up for $100 at Walmart.

I just came back this morning and picked up a 24" bike for $78 at Walmart - 18 gears. Raleigh/Diamondback was $300. REI had some on sale for $250. I can literally buy 3 bikes and skip the maintenance and it will still cost less than a $300 bike.