Recomendation for indoor tree/plant to fill a large space?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

Recomendation for indoor tree/plant to fill a large space?

Post by Kennedy »

I have a large, empty space inside next to a northeastern-facing window. It gets some direct morning sun for a couple hours. I would love to plant an indoor tree or large plant in a pot in that spot.

Any suggestions as to a specific type of tree or large plant?
ladders11

Re: Recomendation for indoor tree/plant to fill a large space?

Post by ladders11 »

Peace lily would be low maintenance and look nice.
imaconfused

Post by imaconfused »

Fiddle leaf fig
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Do you have any indoor pets? There are a lot of houseplants that are dangerous or toxic for cats and dogs, so I wouldn't want to recommend something that could make a pet sick (or worse).
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

Ficus tree. The one I left in Maryland 10 years ago is a lovely monster per the family who inherited it.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Another vote for Fiddle leaf fig.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Many ficus thrive on neglect. The fiddle leaf is stunning, but a slow grower. The ficus benjamina grows fast. Leaf dropping should not be of concern as it gets use to a new location. Apidistra (cast iron plant) is available on the internet and is almost indestructible. Sansevieria, aka snake plant, will work, but they are succulents and really don't reach their full glory including blooming (the sweet smell can be overwhelming) unless treated more like a cactus. A pothos (money plant) can be trained up a piece of wood to grow upwards; Schefflera, also called a money plant, grows easily into a large bush.

Indoor ficus can get very old. I have a golden gate ficus is a bonsai that is about 30 years old.

As mentioned above, watch for toxicity. Every once in a while one of cats will nibble on the ficus bonsai and then regurgitate it.
Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

OP here. Thanks for the suggestions. The fiddle leaf fig looks nice. I'll put that on the maybe list.

I just read about ficus trees. It sounded like a possibility until I read about it being a possible allergen. I never considered that. I do have a tree allergy, but it never occurred to me that an indoor tree would give me issues. Not sure why I didn't think of that. I am very allergic to traditional trees like ash, cedar, juniper and the like. I wonder if an indoor ficus tree would cause me issues as well??

Another thought is an indoor citrus tree. I'm not sure about allergens from this. Anyone have any luck growing a citrus tree inside with just a couple hours of sunlight in the morning?
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Palms do pretty well indoors with limited light. We have a palm we got when we got married and 29 years later, it’s still going. It seems to thrive on being mostly ignored except for the occasional watering and a repotting every few years.
sylph

Post by sylph »

Snake Plant:It is one of the best plants for filtering the air of formaldehyde, xylene, benzene, toluene, and trichloroethylene
Peace Lily,spider plant they both clean the air. Be watchful if you have pets, as eating it will be poisonous.
MJS

Post by MJS »

Kennedy wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:36 am Another thought is an indoor citrus tree. I'm not sure about allergens from this. Anyone have any luck growing a citrus tree inside with just a couple hours of sunlight in the morning?
If you install a grow light on a timer to give it 10-15 hours of strong light per day, it would do okay. Is the corner nice & warm? And if you're allergic to tree pollen, a citrus (or a peace lily) is a very bad choice. The ficuses rarely produce pollen indoors.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

We have a ficus tree and a norfolk island pine tree in large voids of our house. Both are pretty easy to maintain and don't really need any direct sunlight.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Kennedy wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:36 am OP here. Thanks for the suggestions. The fiddle leaf fig looks nice. I'll put that on the maybe list.

I just read about ficus trees. It sounded like a possibility until I read about it being a possible allergen. I never considered that. I do have a tree allergy, but it never occurred to me that an indoor tree would give me issues. Not sure why I didn't think of that. I am very allergic to traditional trees like ash, cedar, juniper and the like. I wonder if an indoor ficus tree would cause me issues as well??

Another thought is an indoor citrus tree. I'm not sure about allergens from this. Anyone have any luck growing a citrus tree inside with just a couple hours of sunlight in the morning?
Anything that produces pollen could be problematic, and citrus trees flower and produce pollen. Similarly, palm trees can be problematic unless you use a nursery that ensures you're getting a female palm tree, since male palm trees produce pollen.

Ficus plants are a common contact allergen. So while it doesn't produce a lot of pollen, it should be avoided if you have severe tree allergies. Fig plants are also known for irritating people with latex allergies, since its sap is similar to latex. Also, bonsai trees are typically juniper or cedar trees, so you'd definitely want to avoid them.

Several dracena varieties can be grown as small trees, and I see multiple websites recommending dracenas for people with allergies, although I also see a PubMed article about someone with a proven dracena allergy. Likewise, female palm trees are also widely recommended since they don't produce pollen, but you could still have a contact allergy.

You might want to find a nursery that has a generous return policy in case you do end up allergic. Or skip the possibility of allergens altogether and go with a high-quality silk plant (just make sure to vacuum/dust the silk plant regularly so it doesn't build up a lot of allergens).