Moving to Sacramento, looking for advice on neighbourhoods, schools

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
zorobabel

Moving to Sacramento, looking for advice on neighbourhoods, schools

Post by zorobabel »

I've accepted a position (mid 5 figures) in Sacramento (walking distance from the state capitol) and I'll be starting in about 2 weeks.
I have a 5y old daughter which has to go to kindergarden and then school, so I'm trying to learn about good areas and cities, so I know where to search for a place to rent.
I'll be staying at a friends place at first, wife will stay behind until she finds a job in Sacramento.
Any advice appreciated.
jbuzolich

Re: Moving to Sacramento, looking for advice on neighbourhoods, schools

Post by jbuzolich »

Depends what you are looking for. If you're wanting to live in downtown close to the capitol it might be hard based on income unless your other half makes significantly more. If you're ok with suburbs then there are many options. We live in Woodland and enjoy the town very much. About a half hour on I-5 into Sacramento. We also really liked living in Citrus Heights which is less than a half hour on I-80.
Topic Author
zorobabel

Post by zorobabel »

Thanks,
I'm not really drawn to downtown, as I have an aversion to limited street parking. At the same time, a short commute would be nice for a change.
Looking at Woodland and Citrus Heights I noticed the schools seem pretty bad.
dandinsac

Post by dandinsac »

I live in Midtown about 2 miles from the Capital. No parking issues in Midtown as most areas have permitting for residents.

We had some friends who live in River Park and like their school. It’s close to downtown, even by bicycle. Prices might be a bit higher as there aren’t too many apartments there. You should get by with only one car there. Midtown and East Sac are closer, but likely pricier. Judah elementary school is well reviewed. Washington elementary was recently opened, is close to downtown and is oriented as a STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics) school.

Folsom is another area that is accessible by the light rail system and is thought of having good schools.

Good luck!
GriffinDork

Post by GriffinDork »

I second Folsom...You might also look at Elk Grove...good schools mostly...generally 20 mins from downtown by I-5 or HWY99...alternatively, there is a decent bus and light rail system... Some areas of South Sacramento can get you into decent middle and high schools in the Elk Grove district without the higher housing costs...
Tribonian

Post by Tribonian »

Right around downtown can be sketchy at night. Midtown has good restaurants but can be noisy and occasional crime. Just north of Midtown is Boulevard Park, some nice craftsmen, a few Victorians; lots are deeper on the lettered streets than the numbered ones. East Sac, just across Bus-80 is one of the nicer neighborhoods and has relatively good schools. Land Park south of downtown is also a desirable neighborhood with good schools. Nearby, look at Carmichael or Davis if you don’t mind a commute. Both have good schools. Feel free to pm me if you have more questions.

And welcome- hope you enjoy Sacramento as much as we have.
bikesandbeers

Post by bikesandbeers »

Land park is great but pricey, there is the new development in Curtis park near Sac City Colleges and the light rail station.
Carmichael- Arden/Arcade (San Juan School district) has some great schools.
Haven't seen Natomas mentioned yet. Just check flood insurance issues if buying,
Folsom is far out, but nice quality of life, same with Roseville.
I don't see anything redeeming about Woodland unless someone works in Davis or you need to fly out the airport frequently.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

zorobabel wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:01 pm Thanks,
I'm not really drawn to downtown, as I have an aversion to limited street parking. At the same time, a short commute would be nice for a change.
Looking at Woodland and Citrus Heights I noticed the schools seem pretty bad.
I used to live in Woodland and my sister used to live in Citrus Heights. They're both cheap compared to other areas, but you do have to chose your location wisely. I lived near the CHP substation and didn't have many issues, but my sister had some theft issues where she lived. This was over a decade ago for both of us, but I doubt it's changed too much since then. I wouldn't recommend them if you can afford another area.

I'd second the recommendations up thread for Elk Grove and Davis. My sister also lived in the Arden-Arcade area and liked it. The biggest issue with Davis is the high number of college students that drives the lifecycle of the rental market and can also cause other issues if you have party-prone college student neighbors. Given the COVID-19 situation, there is probably a higher likelihood of finding a rental unit or sublet in Davis right now, but normally leases run from September to August and it's very hard to find a good complex that will offer anything else.
Topic Author
zorobabel

Post by zorobabel »

Some great replies, thank you dandinsac, GriffinDork, Tribonian, bikesandbeers, Mudpuppy!