RV/Camper in Corona Virus Times

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fortfun

RV/Camper in Corona Virus Times

Post by fortfun » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:15 pm

Seems like plane travel, hotels, and eating in restaurants my not be prudent for the foreseeable future. RV/Camper travel might serve as a replacement for traditional vacations. Anyone else considering this? Maybe I'll throw the next couple of years vacation money at an RV/camper. Already booked Eastern/Central Europe (back in November) for this summer but looks like that's off now.

Sandtrap

Re: RV/Camper in Corona Virus Times

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:47 pm

Rent an RV first as needed to see if it is for you. Many turn into yard ornaments after the initial thrill and use wear off.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:53 pm

Right now, most places you might go in an RV are closed just like everything else.

It might get better, but it also might not. The small feeder towns that service national parks and such don’t want you to bring your city germs to their towns. They don’t have the healthcare resources that exist in the cities.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

dominque

Post by dominque » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:04 am

We have a motor home and almost exclusively visit state parks. We're planning a trip next week (4/27) to a GA state park with a golf course co-located. Since we walk the course and consume all meals in our RV, we probably have less exposure than staying in our primary home.

When connecting to park facilities for sewer, cable, water and electricity, we have always worn gloves and sprayed down the water connections with a disinfectant prior.

If you're considering an RV purchase, I would highly suggest renting one first as this is not for everyone. We've RVed since 1999 and love it.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:57 am

I am optimistic and think this will be temporary. Consider the other pandemics of the 21st century: SARS, H1N1, etc. They didn't make much headway here in the states but in Asian countries, it was severe. However, travel in those countries eventually recovered. Fairly quickly, too.

I have a wedding in early September to travel to that will likely be canceled but I think Christmas to visit my folks is still possibility. We'll see.

anonsdca

Post by anonsdca » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:21 am

mmmodem wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:57 am
I am optimistic and think this will be temporary. Consider the other pandemics of the 21st century: SARS, H1N1, etc. They didn't make much headway here in the states but in Asian countries, it was severe. However, travel in those countries eventually recovered. Fairly quickly, too.

I have a wedding in early September to travel to that will likely be canceled but I think Christmas to visit my folks is still possibility. We'll see.
there was no social media for SARs and it was very immature for H1N1. iPhone was just 4 years old. Very different time.

This statement:

"They didn't make much headway here in the states but in Asian countries, it was severe"

Can also be said of the Rona. 825K cases out of 329 million (in USA), you are talking a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a half percent. Death toll even less.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:48 am

fortfun wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:15 pm
Seems like plane travel, hotels, and eating in restaurants my not be prudent for the foreseeable future. RV/Camper travel might serve as a replacement for traditional vacations. Anyone else considering this? Maybe I'll throw the next couple of years vacation money at an RV/camper. Already booked Eastern/Central Europe (back in November) for this summer but looks like that's off now.
I predict an increase in domestic RV/camper and van life over the next year or two. And along with that price premiums and crowds. Then bargain prices on vehicles afterwards as there becomes an excess of used vehicles and people offloading them.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:18 am

fortfun wrote:
I had been considering one late last year but right now logistics are too difficult to buy. I'm not sure what the effect on prices will be.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:20 am

dominque wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:04 am
We have a motor home and almost exclusively visit state parks. We're planning a trip next week (4/27) to a GA state park with a golf course co-located. Since we walk the course and consume all meals in our RV, we probably have less exposure than staying in our primary home.

When connecting to park facilities for sewer, cable, water and electricity, we have always worn gloves and sprayed down the water connections with a disinfectant prior.

If you're considering an RV purchase, I would highly suggest renting one first as this is not for everyone. We've RVed since 1999 and love it.
Many parks and campgrounds, including public ones, are closed, although I'm sure you've checked on the one you're visiting. I don't think I'd be going anywhere yet if I had already bought one.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:20 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:47 pm
Rent an RV first as needed to see if it is for you. Many turn into yard ornaments after the initial thrill and use wear off.

j🌺
Few turn into yard ornaments thanks to HOAs. Maybe ornaments at expensive storage lots.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:46 am

fortfun wrote:
Seems like plane travel, hotels, and eating in restaurants my not be prudent for the foreseeable future. RV/Camper travel might serve as a replacement for traditional vacations. Anyone else considering this?
Determine where you expect to go with this RV/Camper first. And find out what rules they currently have.

I live in coastal Maine. Right now, you wouldn't be permitted to park it here. It's not clear when this temporary ban will be lifted.

As others have suggested, rent before you buy. Camper life is rather different from Central/Eastern European hotel life.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:49 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:46 am
fortfun wrote:
Seems like plane travel, hotels, and eating in restaurants my not be prudent for the foreseeable future. RV/Camper travel might serve as a replacement for traditional vacations. Anyone else considering this?
Determine where you expect to go with this RV/Camper first. And find out what rules they currently have.

I live in coastal Maine. Right now, you wouldn't be permitted to park it here. It's not clear when this temporary ban will be lifted.
That really is a problem and may be for a while, and is one reason why the current situation has my tentative purchase plans on hold.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:53 am

tibbitts wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:49 am
JoeRetire wrote:
fortfun wrote:

That really is a problem and may be for a while, and is one reason why the current situation has my tentative purchase plans on hold.
Yup. Short term, all bets are off. Right now, our beaches are closed - people are not even allowed to walk on them. We all hope that will change this summer, but nobody really knows for sure.

For the long term, RVing might be fun. For the short term, closings for some spots and overcrowding for other spots may be common.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:26 am

tibbitts wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:20 am
Sandtrap wrote:

j🌺
Few turn into yard ornaments thanks to HOAs. Maybe ornaments at expensive storage lots.
So true. :D
Several of the private developments in our area require RV garages to match the home.
Often. . .huge. . .dwarfing some homes with multi "Class A's" in them.

DW and I were researching the Roadtrek ("Toons") and Travato (nice!!) for many years for the ease of getting in and out of campgrounds, closer to handicap parking areas, etc. And, that's about all our RV garage will fit easily because of the 14 foot ceiling.

This covid-19 thing might be a game changer for awhile, though, as far as access and campground restrictions in various places.

Toys. Toys.
j :happy

Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:22 am

Sandtrap wrote:

j🌺
Thanks Sandtrap. We've been truck and tent camping for the last 26 years. So, I think we would be fine. Looking at something like a van or a very small pull behind. We are a pretty tough crew :)

Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:29 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:53 pm
Right now, most places you might go in an RV are closed just like everything else.

It might get better, but it also might not. The small feeder towns that service national parks and such don’t want you to bring your city germs to their towns. They don’t have the healthcare resources that exist in the cities.
We would probably do mostly BLM camping. Besides gasing up and getting groceries once a week, we would have little or no contact with people/locals.

Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:32 am

JoeRetire wrote:
fortfun wrote:

As others have suggested, rent before you buy. Camper life is rather different from Central/Eastern European hotel life.
We are out here in the wide open West. Probably mostly BLM camping with a van or small pull behind.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:43 am

fortfun wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:29 am
quantAndHold wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:53 pm

We would probably do mostly BLM camping. Besides gasing up and getting groceries once a week, we would have little or no contact with people/locals.
Great idea!
Northern Arizona, where DW and I are, has vast areas of National Forests and BLM land. Mostly all accessible on good forest roads. Know a lot of folks that RV there.
Everything from VW camper vans to 4wd RV's etc.

Have fun!
j :happy

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:43 am

fortfun wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:32 am
JoeRetire wrote:
fortfun wrote:

We are out here in the wide open West. Probably mostly BLM camping with a van or small pull behind.
We’re in the west too. We’re camped in our backyard right now. No place to go. Everything’s closed. It might get better, and it might even be a bit better than trying to fly somewhere. But I personally wouldn’t spend thousands of dollars on a RV now in hopes that it will.

What pretty much everyone has figured out is that if you close 90% of stuff, the other 10% will be overrun. Close the beaches, and the state parks get overrun and have to be closed. Close the state parks, and the county parks have to close. If the only thing available is camping, then so many people will go camping that it will get closed back down.

We usually spend about four months a year traveling. Some camping, some flying. We had to accept that this year that probably isn’t happening.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:52 am

Sandtrap wrote:

j🌺
+1 saw a lot in Utah a year back. Looked like a good idea to go see all the parks out west.

Many I know w/ huge RVs only use them a few times a year. :?:
Seems like a huge $$ investment if that is the case, to me anyway. Just as easy to use a hotel in that event.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:03 am

fortfun wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:22 am
Sandtrap wrote:

j🌺
Thanks Sandtrap. We've been truck and tent camping for the last 26 years. So, I think we would be fine. Looking at something like a van or a very small pull behind. We are a pretty tough crew :)
Well if you have questions about a Class B, PleasureWay Plateau on a MB Sprinter chassis, let me know.

It’s been a joy for us over the last few years since we purchased it. BUT it’s not necessarily the Financially smart move.

WoodSpinner

dominque

Post by dominque » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:14 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:20 am
dominque wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:04 am

Many parks and campgrounds, including public ones, are closed, although I'm sure you've checked on the one you're visiting. I don't think I'd be going anywhere yet if I had already bought one.
The park is open, in fact it was never closed. None of the Georgia State parks were fully closed. They have closed out lodges, cabins and many RV bathhouses, but most RV's are self contained. We never use the other facilities anyway. Moderation and responsibility will be the keys in the coming months in this great country.

researcher

Post by researcher » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:38 pm

fortfun wrote:
You need to do some research.
I watch a few 'nomads' on Youtube who are out West on BLM land right now.
They been harassed/told to leave by various officials.

Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:49 pm

researcher wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:38 pm
fortfun wrote:
You need to do some research.
I watch a few 'nomads' on Youtube who are out West on BLM land right now.
They been harassed/told to leave by various officials.
Interesting. Utah doesn't even have any stay at home orders, that I'm aware of. It's no man's land out by Goblin Valley, etc.