I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mptfan
Posts: 6208
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:58 am

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by mptfan »

atikovi wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:28 am Yes you would not know, but is that a reason to not answer the phone from numbers you don't know?
No, that is not a reason. There are many other reasons why I do not answer calls from unknown numbers, but avoiding a legitimate call from a doctor or hospital alerting me that my loved one is in the ICU is not one of them.
Last edited by mptfan on Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
knightrider
Posts: 878
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:20 am

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by knightrider »

atikovi wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:22 am So if a hospital or doctors calls when your son/daughter/spouse/relative is in the ICU after a bad accident, you don't answer because you don't recognize the number?
These are precisely the calls one should never answer because they are most likely scams.. Let them leave a message and I will call them back.
michaeljc70
Posts: 7102
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by michaeljc70 »

atikovi wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:22 am
knightrider wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:18 am
sylph wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:48 am I hung up the call and blocked number. I don't know what his actual scam was but I saved myself.
Rule #1 : Don't answer the phone from numbers you don't recognize!
So if a hospital or doctors calls when your son/daughter/spouse/relative is in the ICU after a bad accident, you don't answer because you don't recognize the number?
I don't answer any calls from numbers I don't recognize. They would leave a message and I'd get it 30 seconds later. I am not going to answer 5000 spam/marketing/junk calls because 1 might be a doctor or hospital. The doctor/hospital will provide treatment and me being there 30 seconds later will not affect the treatment.
atikovi
Posts: 976
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:20 pm
Location: Suburban Washington DC

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by atikovi »

knightrider wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:39 am
atikovi wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:22 am So if a hospital or doctors calls when your son/daughter/spouse/relative is in the ICU after a bad accident, you don't answer because you don't recognize the number?
These are precisely the calls one should never answer because they are most likely scams.. Let them leave a message and I will call them back.
Thing is, due to Hippa privacy rules, they can't leave a message about a medical issue. I remember I had to give written authorization for my doctor to leave voice messages on my phone.
mptfan
Posts: 6208
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:58 am

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by mptfan »

atikovi wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:45 pm Thing is, due to Hippa privacy rules, they can't leave a message about a medical issue. I remember I had to give written authorization for my doctor to leave voice messages on my phone.
I don't think HIPPA prevents someone from a hospital from leaving a message that says "This is Mary, I am a patient coordinator at Central Hospital, please call me when you can, I have an important message for you. Thank you." That message does not disclose any medical information or even identify who is involved.
atikovi
Posts: 976
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:20 pm
Location: Suburban Washington DC

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by atikovi »

Yea that's probably ok.
User avatar
GerryL
Posts: 2870
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by GerryL »

knightrider wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:18 am
sylph wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:48 am I hung up the call and blocked number. I don't know what his actual scam was but I saved myself.
Rule #1 : Don't answer the phone from numbers you don't recognize!
My version of caller ID consists of the following: Phone rings twice then the caller hears the following, "You've reached xxx-xxx-xxxx. We can't come to the phone right now OR we're screening calls. Please talk to the machine."

No name. No indication I live alone. No pick up until they start talking -- and then only maybe. Very few scammers bother to talk to the machine.
Strayshot
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:04 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by Strayshot »

OP got scammed. OP should own it, not look for someone else like Amazon or the credit card company to shoulder the blame, and should figure it was a $400 learning moment. End of story.

I trust my neighbors and have keys to their houses. I would never send someone cash money (cashiers check, money order, gift card, PayPal or Venmo or whatever) at their request from an email.
Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 6787
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by Leesbro63 »

Strayshot wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:10 pm OP got scammed. OP should own it, not look for someone else like Amazon or the credit card company to shoulder the blame, and should figure it was a $400 learning moment. End of story.

I trust my neighbors and have keys to their houses. I would never send someone cash money (cashiers check, money order, gift card, PayPal or Venmo or whatever) at their request from an email.
Read the whole thread. I’m the original poster. I owned it. Not looking to make Amazon or credit card pay. Figure it was a learning moment. End of story.
User avatar
Mel Lindauer
Moderator
Posts: 31126
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:49 pm
Location: Daytona Beach Shores, Florida
Contact:

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by Mel Lindauer »

atikovi wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:28 am
mptfan wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:23 am
atikovi wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:22 am So if a hospital or doctors calls when your son/daughter/spouse/relative is in the ICU after a bad accident, you don't answer because you don't recognize the number?
Yes. Of course I would not know that the call was from a hospital or a doctor.
Yes you would not know, but is that a reason to not answer the phone from numbers you don't know?
Most folks have an answering machine on their home phone (if they have one) and their cell phone take messages, too. So simply let unknown numbers go unanswered. If it's something important and personal, the caller will leave a message. Otherwise, it's most likely a spam or scam call.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
criticalmass
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by criticalmass »

atikovi wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:46 am
criticalmass wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:32 am
atikovi wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:30 am
GoldenFinch wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:21 am The only thing that kept her from wiring the money was that she had never done a wire transfer and had to ask someone how to do it. The scam was revealed and we shut off all wire transfer capability with our bank.
What wire transfer capability did you shut off? Wouldn't she have to go to the bank personally to do a wire transfer anyway?
Why would you need to go to the bank personally to wire money? Wiring money does not require physical presence of customers. Banks without any branches can do wires. Heck, even Vanguard, a financial institution that has nearly zero physical interaction with its customers (save making a rare appointment in Malvern) can do wires. Shutting off wire capability means banks will not heed wire instructions for the account.
So anyone with my name and account number (like everyone I've sent a check to) could now send themselves a wire from my account?
Absolutely not.
michaelingp
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by michaelingp »

sylph wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:48 am One I would like to share is: Last week early morning I received a call from a person claiming to be an Amazon delivery guy. He wanted me to confirm my address so that he could give me updates on my delivery. I said I will not confirm anything and they should email me whatever he has to say. He was insisting on giving my address. I hung up the call and blocked number. I don't know what his actual scam was but I saved myself.
Maybe it wasn't a scam, although it sounds unusual. Most emails I get from Amazon saying my order has shipped includes the following line: "An Amazon driver may contact you by text message or call you for help on the day of delivery". So it sounds like Amazon drivers do legitimately call customers. I think in one case (out of thousands of packages) I did get a call saying they couldn't find my house (which is hard to find).
criticalmass
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by criticalmass »

atikovi wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:57 am
Silk McCue wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:52 am
atikovi wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:46 am
So anyone with my name and account number (like everyone I've sent a check to) could now send themselves a wire from my account?
No. They would have to have security credentials to log into your bank account and initiate a wire transfer.

Cheers
Oh, we all know hackers couldn't possibly do that. :oops:
There is more to hacking into a bank account illegally than receiving a check with your name and account number, as stated above.

In addition, many banks today are smart enough to comply with two factor requirements, so even knowing your username and password isn't enough for a scammer to access your account. In addition, many banks are also smart enough to verify large withdrawals and wire transfer requests out of your account, even from someone duly authenticated and logged into the secure online account.
User avatar
Nate79
Posts: 6429
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by Nate79 »

Schwab has always called me up to verify a wire transfer initiated online before allowing it to go thru.
toofache32
Posts: 2124
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by toofache32 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:18 pm
atikovi wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:22 am
knightrider wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:18 am
sylph wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:48 am I hung up the call and blocked number. I don't know what his actual scam was but I saved myself.
Rule #1 : Don't answer the phone from numbers you don't recognize!
So if a hospital or doctors calls when your son/daughter/spouse/relative is in the ICU after a bad accident, you don't answer because you don't recognize the number?
I don't answer any calls from numbers I don't recognize. They would leave a message and I'd get it 30 seconds later. I am not going to answer 5000 spam/marketing/junk calls because 1 might be a doctor or hospital. The doctor/hospital will provide treatment and me being there 30 seconds later will not affect the treatment.
I never understood this. My wife and I have been through it. If someone is in the hospital, answering the phone versus letting them leave a message does not change that.
My wife's friend was due to deliver her baby any time. My wife said "call me no matter what time it is!" Then I said "no don't you dare call after 10pm and wake us up." What's she gonna do, go deliver the baby?
User avatar
GerryL
Posts: 2870
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by GerryL »

toofache32 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:35 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:18 pm
atikovi wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:22 am
knightrider wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:18 am
sylph wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:48 am I hung up the call and blocked number. I don't know what his actual scam was but I saved myself.
Rule #1 : Don't answer the phone from numbers you don't recognize!
So if a hospital or doctors calls when your son/daughter/spouse/relative is in the ICU after a bad accident, you don't answer because you don't recognize the number?
I don't answer any calls from numbers I don't recognize. They would leave a message and I'd get it 30 seconds later. I am not going to answer 5000 spam/marketing/junk calls because 1 might be a doctor or hospital. The doctor/hospital will provide treatment and me being there 30 seconds later will not affect the treatment.
I never understood this. My wife and I have been through it. If someone is in the hospital, answering the phone versus letting them leave a message does not change that.
My wife's friend was due to deliver her baby any time. My wife said "call me no matter what time it is!" Then I said "no don't you dare call after 10pm and wake us up." What's she gonna do, go deliver the baby?
Am I the only one here who remembers a time when there were no cell phones that kept us connected even when we were away from the house? When there were no answering machines to accept messages? We survived.
mptfan
Posts: 6208
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:58 am

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by mptfan »

GerryL wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:06 pm Am I the only one here who remembers a time when there were no cell phones that kept us connected even when we were away from the house? When there were no answering machines to accept messages? We survived.
No, you're not the only one.
User avatar
sergeant
Posts: 1612
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: The Golden State

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by sergeant »

No one that truly knows me would ever ask me for money. If they did then they don't truly know me.
AA- 20+ Years of Expenses Fixed Income/The remainder in Equities.
Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 6787
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by Leesbro63 »

I saw this on another BH thread and thought it should go here too:

[link to Zoom meeting (with password) removed by admin LadyGeek]
Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 6787
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by Leesbro63 »

I’m the OP. For what it’s worth, Amazon never got back to me, as the “chat” woman promised, about the original $200 that I sent. I’m letting it go.
gd
Posts: 1632
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:35 am
Location: MA, USA

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by gd »

Back to the OP topic of this stale thread, I just had an event that reminded me of this. Got an email from an officer of a local club to me, another officer, asking to get some gift cards for charity purposes, to be reimbursed. They had customized information in it and the context was so good that I almost fell for at least the first contact, at the last second sending a "is this you" email to the supposed sender (it wasn't, he thinks I'm an idiot now). I am a suspicious person by nature. I assume it was a scammer culling obscure organization web pages by hand for plausible sender/receiver pairs. If it's AI/bot tech, it's gotten a *lot* better lately.
reln
Posts: 446
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:01 pm

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by reln »

Dave55 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:59 pm
Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:41 pm
oldfatguy wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:35 pm
Dave55 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:18 pm I would think you can also dispute the charge on your credit card.
I don't think there is a CC dispute here. OP made a legitimate purchase.
I'm the OP and I agree. I'm on "chat' with Amazon right now. I'll report back soon.
You can dispute any charge. Explain what happened to CC company. It never hurts to ask.

Dave
Agreed. Try.
Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 6787
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by Leesbro63 »

I am the original poster. It's ironic that this thread came alive again today as I got another request for the same thing. I wised up this time and asked some personal questions and the scamster disappeared.
IMO
Posts: 971
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by IMO »

Leesbro63 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:50 am I am the original poster. It's ironic that this thread came alive again today as I got another request for the same thing. I wised up this time and asked some personal questions and the scamster disappeared.
Scamster didn't disappear, just moved on to the next person.

Sign of the times. These type of thefts are not illegal, they are just annoyances one has to deal with in life.
Silk McCue
Posts: 4809
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by Silk McCue »

IMO wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:56 pm
Leesbro63 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:50 am I am the original poster. It's ironic that this thread came alive again today as I got another request for the same thing. I wised up this time and asked some personal questions and the scamster disappeared.
Scamster didn't disappear, just moved on to the next person.

Sign of the times. These type of thefts are not illegal, they are just annoyances one has to deal with in life.
They are illegal. They are theft by deception for one.

Cheers
palaheel
Posts: 382
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:35 am

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by palaheel »

It's been a long time since I sent email programmatically, but be careful believing that an email "came from" someone you know. The "From" and "Reply to" fields are just like the return address on an envelope of snail mail; they are not verified at all. I could send you an email from "potus@whitehouse.gov" just as easily as from my "real" email address.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.
bikesandbeers
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:08 am

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by bikesandbeers »

Yes, illegal, but hard to catch. Police deparmnets dont have resouces to investgate $100 gift card frauds.
Hell, my friends dad had his house broken into with thousands in cash, computers, and and credit cards stolen. And the pilice didnt care to do anything.

Someone at my compnay got a email from the "CEO" ask them to buy gift cards, and they did. After that we all got additional training on phishing scams.
IMO
Posts: 971
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by IMO »

Silk McCue wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:10 pm
IMO wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:56 pm
Leesbro63 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:50 am I am the original poster. It's ironic that this thread came alive again today as I got another request for the same thing. I wised up this time and asked some personal questions and the scamster disappeared.
Scamster didn't disappear, just moved on to the next person.

Sign of the times. These type of thefts are not illegal, they are just annoyances one has to deal with in life.
They are illegal. They are theft by deception for one.

Cheers
Sure they might be technically illegal. Surely there is something which doesn't allow one to do this. But in a practical sense, when there is no one being investigated or prosecuted for these acts, then practically speaking they are not illegal, they are just annoyances one has to deal with in life. Just like identify theft, auto breaks ins, etc. One can make a police report if it makes you feel better. Good luck in anyone being investigated and/or prosecuted.
Silk McCue
Posts: 4809
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by Silk McCue »

IMO wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:57 pm Sure they might be technically illegal. Surely there is something which doesn't allow one to do this. But in a practical sense, when there is no one being investigated or prosecuted for these acts, then practically speaking they are not illegal, they are just annoyances one has to deal with in life. Just like identify theft, auto breaks ins, etc. One can make a police report if it makes you feel better. Good luck in anyone being investigated and/or prosecuted.
It would have been better to just say - yes you are right I shouldn’t have said they weren’t illegal because they are. Everything else is just ...

Cheers
User avatar
Mel Lindauer
Moderator
Posts: 31126
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:49 pm
Location: Daytona Beach Shores, Florida
Contact:

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by Mel Lindauer »

"Send gift cards" should always be a red flag that you're probably being scammed.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
IMO
Posts: 971
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by IMO »

Silk McCue wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:09 pm
IMO wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:57 pm Sure they might be technically illegal. Surely there is something which doesn't allow one to do this. But in a practical sense, when there is no one being investigated or prosecuted for these acts, then practically speaking they are not illegal, they are just annoyances one has to deal with in life. Just like identify theft, auto breaks ins, etc. One can make a police report if it makes you feel better. Good luck in anyone being investigated and/or prosecuted.
It would have been better to just say - yes you are right I shouldn’t have said they weren’t illegal because they are. Everything else is just ...

Cheers
No I'm okay with saying it's not illegal because it's essentially not treated as any type of crime by police authorities. Had an in-law stupidly fall for some gift card scam. This person made a police report, and my response was the same, guess it just made her feel better reporting the crime for which no one is going to investigate or care about. People should be aware of the scam, and people should be aware that if they are scammed like this, there is no recourse to find out who did this crime.

I've had ID theft and auto break in's. It's a waste of time to think any of those crimes will be solved, let alone actually investigated.

I find it odd someone telling me what would have "been better to say".
Silk McCue
Posts: 4809
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by Silk McCue »

IMO wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:08 am ...

I find it odd someone telling me what would have "been better to say".
I find it odd that you won't or can't differentiate between what is legal or illegal based upon the law which defines what is illegal versus the ease, ability or willingness to prosecute that illegal activity.

Cheers
sean.mcgrath
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:15 am
Location: US in NL

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by sean.mcgrath »

atikovi wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:13 am When will folks realize that gifts are for people too lazy to shop for gifts, and not a form of currency.
I've used them to send money to people in other currency blocks, as Amazon was offering better exchange rates than what I could do with a bank for $200 or so. I wouldn't get too dogmatic about them, as they can be pretty useful in a variety of situations.
User avatar
peseta
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:40 pm

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by peseta »

IMO wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:57 pm Sure they might be technically illegal. Surely there is something which doesn't allow one to do this. But in a practical sense, when there is no one being investigated or prosecuted for these acts, then practically speaking they are not illegal, they are just annoyances one has to deal with in life. Just like identify theft, auto breaks ins, etc. One can make a police report if it makes you feel better. Good luck in anyone being investigated and/or prosecuted.
The main issue is that most of these criminals are overseas. Not much US law enforcement can do if the bad guy is on another continent. It's still worth reporting, though, the pattern evidence can be valuable to investigators.
sean.mcgrath
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:15 am
Location: US in NL

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by sean.mcgrath »

IMO wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:08 am
Silk McCue wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:09 pm
IMO wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:57 pm Sure they might be technically illegal. Surely there is something which doesn't allow one to do this. But in a practical sense, when there is no one being investigated or prosecuted for these acts, then practically speaking they are not illegal, they are just annoyances one has to deal with in life. Just like identify theft, auto breaks ins, etc. One can make a police report if it makes you feel better. Good luck in anyone being investigated and/or prosecuted.
It would have been better to just say - yes you are right I shouldn’t have said they weren’t illegal because they are. Everything else is just ...

Cheers
No I'm okay with saying it's not illegal because it's essentially not treated as any type of crime by police authorities. Had an in-law stupidly fall for some gift card scam. This person made a police report, and my response was the same, guess it just made her feel better reporting the crime for which no one is going to investigate or care about. People should be aware of the scam, and people should be aware that if they are scammed like this, there is no recourse to find out who did this crime.

I've had ID theft and auto break in's. It's a waste of time to think any of those crimes will be solved, let alone actually investigated.

I find it odd someone telling me what would have "been better to say".
Not odd, when what you say is incorrect. This forum is googled, and it is better to have things factual. There is no doubt that the activities are illegal and, having had an attempt on me recently, at least in some cases they are followed up by the police. You might want to think about what your actual point was, and try to articulate it more precisely.
User avatar
SmileyFace
Posts: 5718
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by SmileyFace »

IMO wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:08 am No I'm okay with saying it's not illegal because it's essentially not treated as any type of crime by police authorities.
Walk into your local police station - tell them you would like to confess to the fact that you talked someone, with false pretenses and pretending to be someone else into giving you hundreds of dollars in gift cards. Tell them you don't think this is illegal but just wanted to let them know. See what they do.

Illegal - pure and simple.

Oh - and if you don't think anyone ever gets caught and arrested you are mistaken. Do some research - quick google search will provide you some stories:
https://www.fox5dc.com/news/2-arrested- ... phone-scam
User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 9118
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by whodidntante »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:05 am "Send gift cards" should always be a red flag that you're probably being scammed.
Yep. There are also bitcoin machines that take cash deposits now. On Reddit there is a guy who thought he was sending 2k to the IRS this way. He will never see that money again.
JackoC
Posts: 1738
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:14 am

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by JackoC »

IMO wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:08 am
Silk McCue wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:09 pm
IMO wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:57 pm Sure they might be technically illegal. Surely there is something which doesn't allow one to do this. But in a practical sense, when there is no one being investigated or prosecuted for these acts, then practically speaking they are not illegal, they are just annoyances one has to deal with in life. Just like identify theft, auto breaks ins, etc. One can make a police report if it makes you feel better. Good luck in anyone being investigated and/or prosecuted.
It would have been better to just say - yes you are right I shouldn’t have said they weren’t illegal because they are. Everything else is just ...

Cheers
No I'm okay with saying it's not illegal because it's essentially not treated as any type of crime by police authorities. Had an in-law stupidly fall for some gift card scam. This person made a police report, and my response was the same, guess it just made her feel better reporting the crime for which no one is going to investigate or care about. People should be aware of the scam, and people should be aware that if they are scammed like this, there is no recourse to find out who did this crime.

I've had ID theft and auto break in's. It's a waste of time to think any of those crimes will be solved, let alone actually investigated.
The fact you include a 'brick and mortar' crime, obvious crime, obviously illegal, like breaking into somebody's car as analogy I think just shows you are using a different definition of 'illegal' than everyone else. Annoyance one has to tolerate maybe (though car break ins have become rare where I live, my car was broken into a couple of times but last time around 25 yrs ago, same neighborhood). But when you say 'not illegal' I think it's confusing. For example an online scam might actually be in a gray area of legality if there's some truth to the request, person in need, sob story, it just turns out to be the scammer. But pretending to be a specific other real person asking on behalf of someone else, then pocketing it yourself: Illegal. :D People get away with it the great majority of the time, I think you mean.
catchup
Posts: 251
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:15 pm

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by catchup »

I'm sorry to hear about this scam. Remember that you are the victim and that others preyed on your generous spirit. It is natural to blame yourself, but I hope you don't beat up on yourself for long. Everybody lets their guard down once in a while and wishes they hadn't. You will be stronger because of this and your risk management skills will be strengthened in the future. You will probably save more than 200 dollars; you may even save lives.
squirm
Posts: 2943
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by squirm »

I remember I was scammed back in the 80's. The sent you a mailer saying if you buy their water filter you are guaranteed to win something of value. I went for it, bought a useless $400 water filter and "won" a sweepstakes. The shipping and handling of the merchandise was exorbitantly high. I finally caught on. Lesson learned decades ago. There's a new sucker born every minute as they say.
Post Reply