I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by Leesbro63 »

I'm embarrassed to admit that I got scammed. I got an email from a very trustworthy neighbor asking me to send a $400 Amazon gift card to a friend who just lost her job. Actually it was two cards to the same person, each for $200. My trusted neighbor said her credit card wasn't working. The Email had her nickname and other things that made me not think twice. I'm such a fool.

My question is that it appears there's no way to cancel the order (the email address where it was sent probably spent it by now). There's no way to call Amazon and there appears to be no way to even Email them...the link just keeps taking me to various menu's from which to chose a topic.

I suspect I'm beat. Fortunately it wasn't thousands of dollars. Any advice?
Last edited by Leesbro63 on Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
02nz

Re: I Got Scammed To Send Amazon Gift Cards

Post by 02nz »

The money is almost certainly lost, but you can try chatting with Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us
FS51

Post by FS51 »

Have you tried https://smile.amazon.com/gp/help/custom ... redirect=1 ?

I get an option for live chat as well as to have Amazon call me.

Sorry to hear about the scam!
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

I would contact Amazon and still try to cancel.

Also, I would call your credit card company, and see what they say. Maybe they'll refund you.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Amazon customer service phone number 1 (888) 280-4331
I would think you can also dispute the charge on your credit card.

Dave
Watty

Post by Watty »

If you got the gift cards electronically and have the gift card numbers then you could try using them ASAP if they have not already been used.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

It is even a little more disgusting scamming people related to COVID. I wonder how much this particular scammer has gotten. And from how many pepole who have lost their jobs and aren't in great spots themselves. I feel sick. Sorry, OP.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

02nz wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:15 pm The money is almost certainly lost, but you can try chatting with Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us
Nope. That link lists the phone number but the automated answering message says they’re too busy to take phone calls due to the COVID emergency. The other option on the link you gave me is to cancel the order. When I go into that, other stuff I ordered CAN be cancelled, but the gift card doesn’t give that option.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

Once I got 200 worth of amazon GC sent to some one came to my address which is for christmas gift for someone else
Amazon customer support is helpful in sending it back to sender ...
Contact Amazon customer support and they can able to help you with all these kind of issues and trained for that
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner
Cwise

Post by Cwise »

How do you know it wasn't the neighbor with fake email accounts? I mean if the neighbor knew that much info. Did you ask the neighbor? Do you have the email with the header info? You can probably track the ip address to see if it originated from the same internet provider you use.
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:10 pm I'm embarrassed to admit that I got scammed. I got an email from a very trustworthy neighbor asking me to send a $400 Amazon gift card to a friend who just lost her job. My trusted neighbor said her credit card wasn't working. The Email had her nickname and other things that made me not think twice. I'm such a fool.
Sorry you got hooked. Thats awful. Stories like this make me paranoid about solicitations for money. I always double check (e.g. call them). I hope you are able to recover the money.

Its small consolation, but kudos for you for being so generous to a friend of a friend. :beer
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

So sorry that this happened to you. I expect that there is no way to recover this money. In hindsight you should have spoken to your neighbor to discuss this.

I expect the Gift cards have already been spent. You could try to spend them to see.

Be wary, they will now seek to target you using others means and methods.

Cheers
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

You can chat with amazon. When the chat bot starts just type agent. You may have to wait for a human for some time.

Why would your neighbor ask you to send money?
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

fru-gal wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:31 pm You can chat with amazon. When the chat bot starts just type agent. You may have to wait for a human for some time.

Why would your neighbor ask you to send money?
Specifically how do I use the chat?
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Sorry to hear you were scammed. Agree with suggestions about Amazon chat and credit card company. Did you let your neighbor know so they can warn other people in their contact list?
Last edited by HomeStretch on Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

Dave55 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:18 pm I would think you can also dispute the charge on your credit card.
I don't think there is a CC dispute here. OP made a legitimate purchase.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

oldfatguy wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:35 pm
Dave55 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:18 pm I would think you can also dispute the charge on your credit card.
I'm the OP and I agree. I'm on "chat' with Amazon right now. I'll report back soon.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

Silk McCue wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:30 pmI expect the Gift cards have already been spent. You could try to spend them to see.
+1

I had my wallet stolen from my purse while I was visiting with a group of friends back in early December. I had just started home when one of my credit card companies (a bank with whom I had set up mobile banking) texted me to verify if I had just tried to use the card to make a $1000+ purchase at a Target. The store was about 5 miles from the cafe and my wallet had been stolen no more than 45 minutes before they started their spending spree. (My credit union allowed several thousand dollars of debits on my debit card and another card let through a large purchase at Best Buy). Fortunately all of these got reversed.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

HomeStretch wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:34 pm Sorry to hear you were scammed. Agree with suggestions about Amazon chat and credit card company. Did you let your neighbor know so they can warn other people in their contact list?
My neighbor feels terrible. I'm not the only one. I'm generally not too gullible, but they got me this time.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:43 pm
HomeStretch wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:34 pm Sorry to hear you were scammed. Agree with suggestions about Amazon chat and credit card company. Did you let your neighbor know so they can warn other people in their contact list?
My neighbor feels terrible. I'm not the only one. I'm generally not too gullible, but they got me this time.
Its OK if your neighbor feels terrible for you, but not if they somehow feel it is their fault.

Cheers
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Silk McCue wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:48 pm
Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:43 pm
Its OK if your neighbor feels terrible for you, but not if they somehow feel it is their fault.

Cheers
I agree it's not my neighbor's fault and in no way am I going to make her feel that way. It's my own fault. We all get bogus emails and I was dumb enough to fall for it without checking. I blame no one but myself.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:41 pm
oldfatguy wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:35 pm
I'm the OP and I agree. I'm on "chat' with Amazon right now. I'll report back soon.
You can dispute any charge. Explain what happened to CC company. It never hurts to ask.

Dave
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

OK, thank you to Homestretch, who suggested I use the chat function with Amazon. I was too flustered to think of that myself. I'm sure I would have thought to do that eventually, but because I got on it immediately (thanks to your suggestion), I was able to save half a loaf.

The good news is that the second card had not been spent yet and Amazon cancelled it and the charge had not even hit my credit card yet. The bad news is that the first card has been spent and they will escalate it to some other department and contact me within 24 hours. I'm not optimistic, because I legitimately ordered. It wasn't anything they did to cause this. So instead of this being a $400 spanking, I'll be out $200 at most. I'm not amused at myself, but I've had worse lessons that cost more than $200.

Thank you all for your help here.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Glad the suggestion for Amazon chat from others and me was helpful. It’s amazing you reacted quickly enough to get at least 1/2 of your money back. Hoping you see the other 1/2 back too!
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:10 pm I got an email from a very trustworthy neighbor
No, you did not.
You got an email with a spoofed address.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Half-burnt beats totally burnt. Good job saving what you could. Sorry about the rest.

It sounds as if some of your neighbor's other contacts may have also got hit. If so, I hope she can prevent a recurrence of that.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

To avoid these scams......if/when you are asked for cards of any type for any reason, get on the phone to the person who supposedly is asking for the cards. That single act would have saved the OP all of this grief.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:06 pm To avoid these scams......if/when you are asked for cards of any type for any reason, get on the phone to the person who supposedly is asking for the cards. That single act would have saved the OP all of this grief.
I totally agree. I feel like quite the moron. My kids are ready to check me into the nursing home. But hey, I've learned harder lessons for much more money.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:54 pm Half-burnt beats totally burnt. Good job saving what you could. Sorry about the rest.

It sounds as if some of your neighbor's other contacts may have also got hit. If so, I hope she can prevent a recurrence of that.
Yup.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

They probably resold it already. I think Amazon could still unwind it unless goods have been shipped. You may not reach someone capable of doing that, however.

One suggestion. Post the full text with any personal details removed. That way, the next person who gets the e-mail may happen upon your post via a Google search before they get scammed.

The best tip is not to use Google, but to directly contact people you trust via another method of your choice to verify the request is authentic. Also, do not give out information on others, no matter how harmless it seems. An adversary may use this to scam someone else. This could be how they got you. Con man is short for confidence man.
deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 »

I am genuinely curious as to the advent of gift cards in scamming. I think victims get a false sense of security when they hear gift cards as if it's less risky. AMZN for 80% of households is 99% correlated to cash anyhow.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Glad you got some of the money back but how exactly did this happened? Some guy on the internet cannot randomly guess your neighbors nickname. My guess is someone has access to your email and you should change the password immediately. i'd be concerned about other security breaches too.

It could have been someone you know who got this information in person or on social media.

Someone could have had access to your neighbors email and gotten this information also.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

When will folks realize that gifts are for people too lazy to shop for gifts, and not a form of currency.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

whodidntante wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:18 pm They probably resold it already. I think Amazon could still unwind it unless goods have been shipped. You may not reach someone capable of doing that, however.

One suggestion. Post the full text with any personal details removed. That way, the next person who gets the e-mail may happen upon your post via a Google search before they get scammed.

The best tip is not to use Google, but to directly contact people you trust via another method of your choice to verify the request is authentic. Also, do not give out information on others, no matter how harmless it seems. An adversary may use this to scam someone else. This could be how they got you. Con man is short for confidence man.
The key lesson is always confirm verbally that money has been requested. Our work email was hacked and an office worker received an email from her boss, completely legit looking email, that a large sum of money was to be wired to a client. The worker believed the request was from her boss. The only thing that kept her from wiring the money was that she had never done a wire transfer and had to ask someone how to do it. The scam was revealed and we shut off all wire transfer capability with our bank. (We have never wired money anyway.) We were shocked that she was going to wire the money without checking with anyone, but she thought she had been asked to do so and it never occurred to her the email wasn’t legit.
inverter

Post by inverter »

Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:22 pm
02nz wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:15 pm The money is almost certainly lost, but you can try chatting with Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us
Nope. That link lists the phone number but the automated answering message says they’re too busy to take phone calls due to the COVID emergency. The other option on the link you gave me is to cancel the order. When I go into that, other stuff I ordered CAN be cancelled, but the gift card doesn’t give that option.
Chat with Amazon. I did it yesterday. The link everyone sent is correct.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

GoldenFinch wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:21 am The only thing that kept her from wiring the money was that she had never done a wire transfer and had to ask someone how to do it. The scam was revealed and we shut off all wire transfer capability with our bank.
What wire transfer capability did you shut off? Wouldn't she have to go to the bank personally to do a wire transfer anyway?
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:54 pm I agree it's not my neighbor's fault and in no way am I going to make her feel that way. It's my own fault. We all get bogus emails and I was dumb enough to fall for it without checking. I blame no one but myself.
Respectfully, have you considered telling Amazon that you are satisfied with the cancellation of the gift card that has not been spent and the recovery of $200 of your $400 loss, and that there is no need for them to bear the loss of the other $200? If they are somehow able to recover the funds, great, but if not, are you hopeful that they will refund you nonetheless?
student

Post by student »

OP. You have a wonderful heart trying to help others. Don't get too upset over it. Even though the first gift card has been spent, maybe the products that they ordered have not been shipped yet, and they can stop it. I am also very impressed that you acknowledged that it is not the fault of the credit card company. Please do let us know when Amazon replies to you regarding the first gift card.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

atikovi wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:30 amWouldn't she have to go to the bank personally to do a wire transfer anyway?
You can wire money online, at least from BOA and I assume others. I did it on a refi. I think there was a $25 charge. You just have to pick the right option instead of ACH.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:00 am Glad you got some of the money back but how exactly did this happened? Some guy on the internet cannot randomly guess your neighbors nickname. My guess is someone has access to your email and you should change the password immediately. i'd be concerned about other security breaches too.

It could have been someone you know who got this information in person or on social media.

Someone could have had access to your neighbors email and gotten this information also.
It's possible someone on the internet could figure it out, perhaps from a message board post that contains both. Lots of ways to tie little bits of info together, although it does take work to personalize an attack like that rather and an email blast to ten million people.

But I agree that someone's email may be exposed (I'd guess the neighbor though) or it's an inside job by a common acquaintance.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:00 am Glad you got some of the money back but how exactly did this happened? Some guy on the internet cannot randomly guess your neighbors nickname. My guess is someone has access to your email and you should change the password immediately. i'd be concerned about other security breaches too.

I will change my password. But the neighbor reports many of her contacts were contacted. The problem is on her end but I get it that it could become mine.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

galawdawg wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:39 am
Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:54 pm I agree it's not my neighbor's fault and in no way am I going to make her feel that way. It's my own fault. We all get bogus emails and I was dumb enough to fall for it without checking. I blame no one but myself.
Respectfully, have you considered telling Amazon that you are satisfied with the cancellation of the gift card that has not been spent and the recovery of $200 of your $400 loss, and that there is no need for them to bear the loss of the other $200? If they are somehow able to recover the funds, great, but if not, are you hopeful that they will refund you nonetheless?
This is exactly what I will do once they contact me as is supposed to happen. I totally agree that the scammer is the criminal, but this is MY OWN fault for being naive. I do not expect Amazon or Bank of America (credit card) to absorb this. I did call BofA to see if there was some sort of "insurance" benefit on my card for this type of thing. Perhaps Amex has some. But BofA does not. I will not be filing a purchase dispute, because I did, indeed, buy something and got it. I just gave it to a scamster. Perhaps, as some have posted, Amazon can reverse the charge higher up and stop the gift card use, but I'm guessing that whatever was bought was an instantaneous thing and it's "gone money". I've learned lesser lessons for more money. I'll move on.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

atikovi wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:30 am
GoldenFinch wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:21 am The only thing that kept her from wiring the money was that she had never done a wire transfer and had to ask someone how to do it. The scam was revealed and we shut off all wire transfer capability with our bank.
What wire transfer capability did you shut off? Wouldn't she have to go to the bank personally to do a wire transfer anyway?
I have never done one and clearly neither did she, but we asked our bank to not let wire transfers occur from our accounts.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:43 am

I will change my password. But the neighbor reports many of her contacts were contacted. The problem is on her end but I get it that it could become mine.
Okay. I hope your neighbor has taken the proper precautions. If someone can access your email there are a lot of things that can go wrong. People have had their life savings stolen.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

:beer Glad to hear, sorry that a scammer was able to take advantage of your compassion, glad your loss was relatively minimal.

Unfortunately you aren't alone. I'm a retired District Attorney and once handled a case where one of our Superior Court judges (who had great intelligence and wisdom but was also very compassionate and kind) fell victim to a call purporting to be from an out-of-state bail bondsman who was going to post bond for one of his grandchildren, reportedly in jail in that state. The "bondsman" needed him to send $10,000 via Western Union as the bail bond fee. The caller told the judge that his grandson (and he had the name of one of the judge's adult grandchildren) didn't want his folks to know and asked him not to tell anyone else.

An hour after wiring the money, the judge got suspicious and called his daughter and son-in-law who also live in Georgia. He asked how his grandson was doing and his daughter said "he's fine, he's right here, want to talk to him?" The next call the judge placed was to me and we started a criminal investigation and involved federal authorities. Unfortunately, we were unable to make an arrest but it appeared from our investigation that the perpetrator(s) may have had help from insiders at WU. Eventually our case was one of many that the Department of Justice used to make a criminal and civil ase against Western Union which led to the recovery of $153 million dollars for victims. Over the years, our office was involved in several other interstate and international fraud investigations where arrests were eventually made by federal authorities of widespread and organized fraud rings, many of them overseas. We even saw some funds recovered for victims (although a very tiny percentage).

If you haven't already done so, you may want to file a report with your local law enforcement agency. While the likelihood of an arrest for your particular case is very, very low, it could assist in determining patterns of conduct and end up being a very small component of a more significant case down the road. Who knows...ten years from now you may even get a check from the Dept of Justice for restitution!

Good luck!
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

OP, I feel for you. I too got scammed once many years ago out of a few hundred dollars. Ever since then, I refuse to be the bank for anyone, and I do not participate in any solicitations for donations.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

galawdawg wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:12 am :beer Glad to hear, sorry that a scammer was able to take advantage of your compassion, glad your loss was relatively minimal.

Unfortunately you aren't alone. I'm a retired District Attorney and once handled a case where one of our Superior Court judges (who had great intelligence and wisdom but was also very compassionate and kind) fell victim to a call purporting to be from an out-of-state bail bondsman who was going to post bond for one of his grandchildren, reportedly in jail in that state. The "bondsman" needed him to send $10,000 via Western Union as the bail bond fee. The caller told the judge that his grandson (and he had the name of one of the judge's adult grandchildren) didn't want his folks to know and asked him not to tell anyone else.

An hour after wiring the money, the judge got suspicious and called his daughter and son-in-law who also live in Georgia. He asked how his grandson was doing and his daughter said "he's fine, he's right here, want to talk to him?" The next call the judge placed was to me and we started a criminal investigation and involved federal authorities. Unfortunately, we were unable to make an arrest but it appeared from our investigation that the perpetrator(s) may have had help from insiders at WU. Eventually our case was one of many that the Department of Justice used to make a criminal and civil ase against Western Union which led to the recovery of $153 million dollars for victims. Over the years, our office was involved in several other interstate and international fraud investigations where arrests were eventually made by federal authorities of widespread and organized fraud rings, many of them overseas. We even saw some funds recovered for victims (although a very tiny percentage).

If you haven't already done so, you may want to file a report with your local law enforcement agency. While the likelihood of an arrest for your particular case is very, very low, it could assist in determining patterns of conduct and end up being a very small component of a more significant case down the road. Who knows...ten years from now you may even get a check from the Dept of Justice for restitution!

Good luck!
Good work. No, I'm not gonna report this. It's $200 and the world is upside down right now...too upside down to worry about Leesbro's $200. I get it that reporting MIGHT help someone else. But as I said, the world is just too upside down. I'll change my own passwords and be more careful going forward. Thank you for your work in protecting our system and finding those who scam it.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:22 am OP, I feel for you. I too got scammed once many years ago out of a few hundred dollars. Ever since then, I refuse to be the bank for anyone, and I do not participate in any solicitations for donations.
That reminds me of my dad. He used to be in a business where he interacted with many at the bottom of the economic scale who would ask him to borrow money. We're in Pittsburgh, the former home of the well renowned "Mellon Bank". Dad used to tell them "My name is XXXXX, not Mellon".
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

dukeblue219 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:40 am
atikovi wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:30 amWouldn't she have to go to the bank personally to do a wire transfer anyway?
You can wire money online, at least from BOA and I assume others. I did it on a refi. I think there was a $25 charge. You just have to pick the right option instead of ACH.
The few times I needed to send a wire I had to go into the bank personally. Maybe that has changed.
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

atikovi wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:13 am When will folks realize that gifts are for people too lazy to shop for gifts, and not a form of currency.
When will people actually read the thread before they reply with something completely irrelevant?
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton