Air Purifier

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
GS

Air Purifier

Post by GS » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:49 am

Can anyone recommend a brand and/or model of air purifier that they use and like?

wolf359

Re: Air Purifier

Post by wolf359 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:54 am

Base it on:

1) Pick a HEPA air filter. If it is certified to perform at the HEPA level, then you do not have to worry about performance beyond that.

2) Pick a model where you can obtain replacement filters easily. This will vary for your situation.

3) Pick a model sized to the requirements of your room or application.

4) Base it on price and availability. It may be difficult to find a model in stock or available at the moment, due to high demand (allergy season in the Spring, and COVID crisis.)

I've found Honeywell to be a good brand. I bought one about 15 years ago, and am still using it. Unfortunately, that means I'm not knowledgeable on current models.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:55 am

Dyson Pure Cool Air Purifier. We have the DP02 model. DW considers it essential in the kitchen as we do not have an over range vent. Our vent is built in the range and does not do a good job removing cooking odors. It costs a pretty penny but does the job to remove odors. I like it because it is wifi controlled and I just let it do its thing and I have an app that tells me what a wonderful job it is doing. May be all placebo. I don't breathe any easier and the smell never bothered me. Replaced the Hepa filters after one year for a whopping $70.

daheld

Post by daheld » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:02 pm

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:17 pm

Wirecutter: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-air-purifier/

I have the Coway that's recommended and it has worked well. We love our Dyson vacs but I would not recommend the air purifier given how expensive the replacement filters are.

Designairohio

Post by Designairohio » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:32 pm

The IQ air health pro plus is the best portable unit, I used to be a dealer/ installer for their whole house air cleaner ( the Perfect 16) and I had to buy a particle counter to verify that the system was making the air 10 times cleaner which it always did.

When I would test the health pro plus there would sometimes be 300,000 particles in the air at the bottoms of the unit and zero coming out the top, there were many air cleaners that I tested for customers that did absolutely nothing

modelhttps://www.iqair.com/commercial/compact-stand- ... pro-series

ajkown1

Post by ajkown1 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:43 pm

I have the Rabbit Air Minus A-2. I have had it for eight years now. It works well and has exceeded all of my expectations. It requires a once a year filter change at a cost of $60 for the aftermarket or $85 for the OEM filter. There are different filters available to combat specific items you may want to filter on top of the HEPA. This unit qualifies for a utility rebate from my electric supplier. I highly recommend their product.

https://www.amazon.com/RabbitAir-MinusA ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

LPSpecial

Post by LPSpecial » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:51 pm

Hello,
We have been using two Honeywell HPA100's and one HPA300 and have been quite happy with them. They are relatively quiet on the low setting. They seem to do a great job and it's interesting to see how much dust the prefilters collect after several months. The OEM replacement filters are a bit pricey but there are alternatives available online.

:happy
LPSpecial

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:58 pm

02nz wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:17 pm
Wirecutter: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-air-purifier/

I have the Coway that's recommended and it has worked well. We love our Dyson vacs but I would not recommend the air purifier given how expensive the replacement filters are.
Same. I have the top two recommended and have had them for a couple of months and they are working well.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:04 pm

I would look for one that has a filter(s) that you can clean instead of replace. I have an old one that runs 24/7. I have to vacuum the filters 3 or 4 times a year. It has an inexpensive pre-filter and then the real filter. I have never replaced either one.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:34 pm

I have a Levoit ready for fire season. Last year’s days of non-stop haze inhalation was enough to convince me to be prepared. The HEPA cartridges are replaceable. It’s possible to clean gross filtering elements; but not the fine.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:33 pm

We have a couple of different Blueair models and are pretty happy with them. Every six months there is the annoyance of buying a new filter for each though. If cost matters to you, be sure to check the cost & expected frequency of replacement filters (if required) of any purifier that you are considering so that does not come as a surprise later on.

Picasso

Post by Picasso » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:36 pm

Designairohio wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:32 pm
The IQ air health pro plus is the best portable unit, I used to be a dealer/ installer for their whole house air cleaner ( the Perfect 16) and I had to buy a particle counter to verify that the system was making the air 10 times cleaner which it always did.

When I would test the health pro plus there would sometimes be 300,000 particles in the air at the bottoms of the unit and zero coming out the top, there were many air cleaners that I tested for customers that did absolutely nothing

Wow this thing looks great - Im buying one

jbowie95

Post by jbowie95 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:50 pm

I use the "Electrolux Beyond Air" it is a little pricey but I will say I breathe great! No stuffy nose in the morning, I have a big dog and no doggy smell also I cook a lot of fish and no fish smell after! I will include the link where I got mine.

http://www.rvavacuums.com/

BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:03 pm

Picasso wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:36 pm
Designairohio wrote:

Wow this thing looks great - Im buying one
Agreed. I ordered one this morning after reading this thread.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.

mtmingus

Post by mtmingus » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:10 pm

Got a pair as a birthday gift from my son last month:

Blueair Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier (2 pack)
https://www.amazon.com/Purifier-Washabl ... 331&sr=8-7

Very pleased so far.

rolandtorres

Post by rolandtorres » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:43 pm

Have the iqair for big rooms and coway for bedrooms. We tested
both with air quality monitors and both cover their stated square footage zones well. We leave ours on 24/7 as we could see an increase in pollution from the monitor as soon as it was off.

isubrama

Post by isubrama » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:05 pm

GS wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:49 am
Can anyone recommend a brand and/or model of air purifier that they use and like?
https://winixamerica.com/product/c535/
You can get it for $100 or less, if you look for sale.

Pros:
- Relatively larger filter
- Very quiet
- Energy efficient

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:09 pm

LPSpecial wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:51 pm
Hello,
We have been using two Honeywell HPA100's and one HPA300 and have been quite happy with them. They are relatively quiet on the low setting. They seem to do a great job and it's interesting to see how much dust the prefilters collect after several months. The OEM replacement filters are a bit pricey but there are alternatives available online.

LPSpecial
LPSpecial,

Would you mind please post the replacement filter that you are happy with?

Thanks.

KlangFool

LPSpecial

Post by LPSpecial » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:24 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:09 pm
LPSpecial wrote:
Hello,

LPSpecial
LPSpecial,

Thanks.

KlangFool
Hi KlangFool,

I've only bought the prefilters so far. Here is the link to the product on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/VEVA-Activated-C ... 100&sr=8-8

When I get around to changing the main filters I will try this brand.

LPSpecial

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:32 pm

LPSpecial wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:24 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:09 pm
LPSpecial wrote:
Hello,

LPSpecial
LPSpecial,

Thanks.

KlangFool
Hi KlangFool,

I've only bought the prefilters so far. Here is the link to the product on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/VEVA-Activated-C ... 100&sr=8-8

When I get around to changing the main filters I will try this brand.

LPSpecial
Thanks.

KlangFool

brandy

Post by brandy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:56 pm

Designairohio wrote:
Does it actually clean the air from the 1200 sq ft room ?( I think that's the area I finally found) How long does it take to do that?
I bought a very highly rated machine several years ago, because of MCS/EI, and the stated area was about 1500 sq feet. I don't remember how long it was to take. I was never satisfied, I didn't think it did the job it was supposed to do. I recently started looking to replace the filters. The company site does not give a recommended area size, just says a "standard size room" whatever that means. I came across a seller' site, says their testing for my machine model was IIRC ~225 sq feet, adding, not the 1500 previously advertised...
So I'm looking for a machine to remove VOCs and molds, particles from whatever source, to provide clean air hopefully in a larger area. On top of severe COPD, I am very reactive to fumes, gases, smokes, from chemicals etc.
Are these machines on the approved list for sale in California? Do you know where I can find that information? That list is intimidating!

How much is it, how much are the filters, How long do the filters last if the machine runs constantly in a 15sq'' standard house? Mine is 2000 feet, and free of chemicals.
This is important to me as I cannot go into a nursing/long time care facility, and will need such a machine when caregivers come in, as chances are one or more will bring in chemicals...

What is the cost of the whole house machine, is it worth the price difference? thanks, :)

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:45 am

I have dust mite and insect allergies, so HEPA filters are part of my normal household appliance list. As my decade-old Honeywell HEPA filters have died, I've been experimenting with different brands and models. The current Honeywell models that I tried last year are much noisier, so I've returned those.

I'm happy with my Levoit LV-H134 (affectionately called "the Dalek" due to its size and shape) that I use in the living room, but I'm not as happy with its smaller cousin, the LV-H135, that I bought for the bedroom. The H135 has a slightly noisier motor than the H134 (perhaps because it's smaller) and doesn't seem to clean the air as well as my previous Honeywell. A back of the envelope HEPA surface area estimate suggests that there's less surface area with the H135 than the previous Honeywell, while there's more surface area with the H134 (the Dalek). I'm considering swapping the H134 and H135, although the Dalek is ridiculously oversized for the square footage of my bedroom.

Prior to the shelter-at-home order, I also used a Levoit Vista 200 in my office and that worked well. But it's such a small filter that I would not expect it to be too effective in any room larger than an office or nursery. I also have an AustinAir HealthMate in the cat room to control litter box odor and dust. It works very well at that task and the Austin filters have a very high carbon or carbon/zeolite capacity for any situation that requires odor control. Since I put the Austin filter in the cat's room, I rarely notice smells from the litter boxes, even after coming back from a long trip (when "nose blindness" should have worn off).

With any HEPA filter, maintenance is important. Beyond changing the filters/prefilters at the manufacturer's indicated intervals, I vacuum the exterior of my filters every month or so. I also open up the Austin HealthMate a few times a year to fully vacuum the inside, which is needed due to all the cat litter dust. I used to vacuum the Honeywell filters a few times a year to extend their filter life. I need to look more closely at the construction of the Levoit filters to see if they'd tolerate vacuuming.

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:44 am

I use a Honeywell air purifier that I got at Costco. Does the job well. No complaints.