If you had to buy one new car which of these three would you buy Corolla, Camry or Prius? You only have these three to

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
iamblessed

If you had to buy one new car which of these three would you buy Corolla, Camry or Prius? You only have these three to

Post by iamblessed » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:47 pm

choose from. I am thinking about buying a new car and would like you feed back on these three cars.

eye.surgeon

Re: If you had to buy one new car which of these three would you buy Corolla, Camry or Prius? You only have these three

Post by eye.surgeon » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:52 pm

Under age 30, corolla. Over age 30, Camry. The negatives of the Prius in a world of $2 gas doesn't make sense.
Last edited by eye.surgeon on Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

David Jay

Re: If you had to buy one new car which of these three would you buy Corolla, Camry or Prius? You only have these three

Post by David Jay » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:54 pm

Camry is a lot more car than either of the other two - they are both really small/light.
Last edited by David Jay on Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

anoop

Post by anoop » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:09 pm

They are all great. Why don't you drive all 3 and buy the one you like best?

sport

Post by sport » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:13 pm

I have owned 8 Camrys. I bought the first one in 1986 and it was a great car. Each succeeding one was better than the one before. I still own the 2010 and 2013. (Since I retired, I drive fewer miles.)

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:15 pm

Camry

Buy once to last.
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:16 pm

I don't like Toyotas because they aren't fun & for people who have given up on driving (& life). (This is from a comedian of days past.)

The latest Camry is a very good looking car...
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:53 pm

I liked my Camry better than my Corolla, I like the bigger vehicle. I am not a Prius fan.
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:03 pm

iamblessed wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:47 pm
choose from. I am thinking about buying a new car and would like you feed back on these three cars.
Camry. It’s not even close. Great all purpose car.
Last edited by StormShadow on Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:05 pm

All three are decent but rather dull, and the Prius' looks are ... not for everyone, even after Toyota tone things down a bit in the '19 refresh. The Corolla hatchback might be the best-looking variant of any of the three. But the Camry will certainly drive the "nicest" of the three.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:06 pm

Prius Prime
Eligible for $4500 Federal Tax Credit, plus State and utility credits. If applicable.

If driving enough miles/year, Prius for economy. If size/comfort prioritized, Camry. If needing help sleeping and the Camry doesn't cut it, Corolla.

Test drive them and see what works. Sounds like you just want simple and reliable. Any will do. If the thought of up to 30 miles on electric only sounds cool, or the lowest NET price after rebates, check out the Prime. We were able to purchase a Prime for an incredible deal last Oct. If you search my posts here or on Priuschat you should be able to find the details.

theorist

Post by theorist » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:09 pm

I’ve had all three. Corolla as first car, Camry and Prius right now (BMW in between when I still thought it would be cool to have a sporty car). Camry is the best of the cars I’ve had. (BMW felt too fancy for me.)

JTrout

Post by JTrout » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:12 pm

My wife is very pleased with her Camry. She let's me drive it every now and then, and I like it, too.
I'm considering getting a hybrid Camry for my next car. That's sort of combining two of your options :)

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:16 pm

If you don't have to worry about parking in downtown, go for a Camry. There is a huge difference in the ride comfort.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:31 pm

Camry Hybrid hands down.

I almost bought a new one last Nov, but bought 2 year old used Avalon Hybrid for about 3K less than the new Camry Hybrid.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:34 pm

My extended family has bought one of each in the last year or so. Price was not an issue. We each picked a different vehicle and I think we would all do it the same again. I think it all depends on your needs. Lots of highway driving, I would go with the Camry. Around town and getting into that parallel parking spot, give me a Prius or Corolla. The seat comfort and positions of the three cars are different and will suit different people.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:03 am

I have a 2018 Corolla LE that is about the same size as an early 2000's Camry that I had so it would be a mistake to quickly write it off as being too small a car. They have gradually made them larger so now the Yaris is Toyota's small car and even it is not really all that small.

Saying which car is nicer is difficult since they also come in different trim levels.

I would guess that the Camry would cost somewhere around $5k more than the Corolla. I did not price it out but for that extra $5K you could likely buy a Corolla that has a high trim level that is actually nicer than a comparably priced Camry that is a lower trim level.

A big question is how often you need have adults or large teenagers in the back seat. We almost never have anyone in the back seat so having a larger car would not buy us much. Our grandkids car seats fit just fine in the backseat of the Corolla and that is about all we use the back seat for. If you frequently need to have adults in the back seat then the Corolla might be a bit small but it is still OK if all you need to do is to take two adults for a short drive like to go out to lunch.

When it comes to parking I actually like having a car that is not too big.

I don't know much about the Prius, unless I take a long road trip I don't drive enough miles to worry about the gas mileage.

I would just take them for test drives and see which you like the best and if it is worth the price difference to you. Sometimes cars just feel different in ways that that are hard to describe. I have had rental cars that were perfectly OK but they just did not feel good to me so I was glad to turn them in.
Last edited by Watty on Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:06 am

I just bought a 2017 carolla SE and it is a great car!!!!!

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:41 am

We have two Corollas. They fit nicely into our snug townhouse garage and into compact parking spaces. The backseat is plenty large enough for our one kid. We did test drive a Prius but didn't like the hatchback style and the Camry was both too pricey and large for our needs.

We are fairly price sensitive, though. Our approach is to keep our costs as low as possible in order to minimize the number of hours we have to work. We plan to keep our Corollas for 15-20 years. For people with bigger garages, larger families, and looking to own a fancier car despite the higher price, the Camry would probably be a better fit.

fourkids

Post by fourkids » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:00 am

Camry. Best selling car in America for a reason.
Ours is 12 years old and has been flawless.

z0r

Post by z0r » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:26 am

iamblessed wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:47 pm
what do you need to carry? sedans are a wasteful, outdated body style, they're essentially what you get when you take a hatchback or wagon and cut a notch off the back for no reason. start by outlining your requirements. Prius hatch or Corolla hatch might pull ahead then based on what you can fit in them (clothes dryer, for example)

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:14 am

The Corolla sedan is hardly the cramped compact of early generations. My 2007 Corolla is the same size as my friends 1992 Camry.

In April 2020, I would NOT buy a new Toyota. With many of the rental car and corporate fleets looking to trim their vehicle fleets by 40-60% this year, The spread between the brand new 2020 Toyota Corollas at dealerships and a used 2020 Toyota Corolla with 15k miles at some of the rental car sales places is about $5k. Those are great deals.

It is a major contrast to 2007 when the prices for used Corollas that I looked at were often higher than what I paid for the new car.

fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:38 am

Assuming you're referring to only hybrid versions. We're actually considering a hybrid corolla for my wife's commuter car in the near future. If regularly carrying people/kids, I'd lean camry though hate the body style. I'd only consider the prius prime for its plug-in capability but don't like the style either and trunk space is limited.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:45 am

I drove a Prius for two days while the AC was replaced on my vehicle. I disliked the way it handled.

crefwatch

Post by crefwatch » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:14 am

I’ve owned both a Prius and a Corolla, and have driven rental Camrys. Your human body size does make a difference, as well as cargo needs. (I have to take two 30-gallon cans to the transfer station. Some trunks can’t carry them, with the lid open.) I get toll discounts with my current (and second) Prius. I’m 5’-7”.

Considering current love for big cars, my answer is Camry.

Edit:
Both Prius and Corolla have poor drive wheel traction in snow and starting uphill in rain, due to light weight.

My Priuses have been extremely reliable. People have very short memories about gasoline prices. I think the "fly by wire" aspect of Toyota hybrids (unnecessarily) upsets guys who worshiped cars in high school. Technology changes things. If you live 50 miles from a service station, that's a different issue.
Last edited by crefwatch on Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris K Jones

Post by Chris K Jones » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:35 am

I'd buy a Camry. I own one now. The others are too small and I really am not interested in buying a hybrid or electric car until everyone drives one.

GDBryan

Post by GDBryan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:51 am

+1 for the Camry. I bought my second one in January after 12 years of the old one. (It was still better than any other car I've owned.)

Get the hybrid. It has plenty of power. I'm getting 47 mpg. These low gas prices won't last forever.

azanon

Post by azanon » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:37 am

I've been driving my 16-year-old son's Camry to get some miles on it and to use up the stale gas, since he doesn't drive anywhere now (a 2020 model) and to me the car is Very nice for the money (its the SE version with the bigger engine), but it's actually too big for my tastes. My car is a VW GTI, and I much prefer how nimble that car is, the better viability, and the narrower width.

So I didn't look up the Prius' size, but for me it would definitely be Corolla over Camry. The Corolla with Sport enabled has plenty of power, and I couldn't possibly imagine an even bigger car to be able to nimbly get around my modest sized city (Little Rock, AR).

It's really to each his own. To me, today's mid-sized cars are HUGE. The aforementioned Corolla and one 2011 Highlander barely fit into my circa 1995 garage, so if I went any bigger on cars, we'd have to park one outside. Honestly, I'd get a 2020 Golf instead for something even smaller, but with a comparable ride. That' "new" 1.4L T engine VW made is actually quite remarkable, and way underrated at least from an efficiency standpoint.
Last edited by azanon on Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:40 am

Corolla SE 6MT. It's the only one without the problematic CVT slush box. It'll go for 300k miles without a problem. Perhaps do one clutch in that time.

The Prius makes zero sense in these times of "heading to 25 cents per gallon" gas. The Camry is too bit and too much not fun. I'd also rule out anything that looks like a 1950's space ship, so the Prius is out.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:49 am

Not a Prius.
I've actually owned two Corolla's at different points in time. No complaints.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

campy2010

Post by campy2010 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:52 am

I don't have a car and drive a fair number of rental cars on weekends. Of the 3, I've driven them all and dislike them all for different reasons. I think I accidentally left the Prius running when I went into Starbucks, but the gas mileage was excellent. My leg was nearly numb from driving 5 hours in the Corolla. The Camry is just too big and boat-like for city driving and parking.

I am in the market for a car and am super impressed by the redesigned Mazda 3. I think I'll end up buying a Mazda CX5.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:52 am

Camry for comfort, ride and reliability and I suspect a reasonable deal could be had also as SUVs are more in favor.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:53 am

I am on my 3rd camry. They fit me well. Great for day trips with friends. I buy new after about 12 years.

I would buy a prius except the I think the view out the back window is terrible. Hard to see well out of it.

260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:53 am

Hands down the Camry. You didn't ask for this opinion but for me I would never, ever, ever, buy new! Sorry, good luck. Great car. You won't be disappointed.

azanon

Post by azanon » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:09 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:40 am
Corolla SE 6MT. It's the only one without the problematic CVT slush box. It'll go for 300k miles without a problem. Perhaps do one clutch in that time.

The Prius makes zero sense in these times of "heading to 25 cents per gallon" gas. The Camry is too bit and too much not fun. I'd also rule out anything that looks like a 1950's space ship, so the Prius is out.
I'm no CVT fan, but if anyone is getting that transmission right, it's Toyota. The SE variant (the one I mentioned having) has a real 1st gear so CVT* Besides, there's no way they're going to put the Corolla's reputation at risk with a transmission they didn't trust.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:42 am

Personally, I like the Camry the best of all three. It'll be the most expensive though.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:43 am

My family have owned all 3. I've personally owned 2 Prius and 2 Corollas. If you want comfort, you get the Camry. If you want to save money and you want utility, you get the Prius. The Corolla is false economy versus the Prius. It's a great car but the Prius costs less to own so I wouldn't even consider it.

Prius is larger and more comfortable than a Corolla. The engine has no drive belts to replace and brake pads have lasted me for my life of ownership because of regenerative braking. Mandatory battery replacement is a myth. Had a 2005 and a 2012 with over 150k miles. Works fine. The 2005 is over 15 years old now. Fuel is not your only savings. Insurance was also considerably lower than both Corolla and Camry because it's a hatchback. Apparently, Prius drivers are less risky. Small 15" size tires make replacement less as well. Carried a 65 inch Projection TV in the Prius since it's a hatchback. Went on a 1 week road trip with 3 adults and 2 children in carseats with luggage.

The only negatives is that the driving experience is lacking in a Prius. It is slow and doesn't handle well. But neither does a 4 cylinder Camry or a Corolla. The Corolla is no better in this regard and the Camry is only slightly better. The Camry does have more comfortable seats, quieter cabin and more passenger room. But the cost savings is thousands of dollars according to Edmunds.com true cost to own on a Prius versus a Camry. The Corolla costs only slightly less than the Prius in true cost to own which only goes out to 5 years. If you own cars longer than 5 years as I do, the Prius saves the most money in comparison.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:10 am

mmmodem wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:43 am
My family have owned all 3. I've personally owned 2 Prius and 2 Corollas. If you want comfort, you get the Camry. If you want to save money and you want utility, you get the Prius. The Corolla is false economy versus the Prius. It's a great car but the Prius costs less to own so I wouldn't even consider it.

Prius is larger and more comfortable than a Corolla. The engine has no drive belts to replace and brake pads have lasted me for my life of ownership because of regenerative braking. Mandatory battery replacement is a myth. Had a 2005 and a 2012 with over 150k miles. Works fine. The 2005 is over 15 years old now. Fuel is not your only savings. Insurance was also considerably lower than both Corolla and Camry because it's a hatchback. Apparently, Prius drivers are less risky. Small 15" size tires make replacement less as well. Carried a 65 inch Projection TV in the Prius since it's a hatchback. Went on a 1 week road trip with 3 adults and 2 children in carseats with luggage.

The only negatives is that the driving experience is lacking in a Prius. It is slow and doesn't handle well. But neither does a 4 cylinder Camry or a Corolla. The Corolla is no better in this regard and the Camry is only slightly better. The Camry does have more comfortable seats, quieter cabin and more passenger room. But the cost savings is thousands of dollars according to Edmunds.com true cost to own on a Prius versus a Camry. The Corolla costs only slightly less than the Prius in true cost to own which only goes out to 5 years. If you own cars longer than 5 years as I do, the Prius saves the most money in comparison.
Camry Hybrid. Comfort plus economy. :idea:

gold99xx

Post by gold99xx » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:15 am

2009 Prius here, a much older and less refined car than the new ones ( which are much better ) I have gotten 90 miles to the gallon. 200K miles, change oil and tires, etc.

With Negative oil prices, I have been using my 2006 Land Cruiser more.

Toyota Prius!

core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:16 am

Camry !!!!
My very old camry had less gas mileage like 20/31 on city/highway but it never bothered me since gas prices are low !!!
Amex card is giving back to back gas offers I fill up 18 gallons tank easily
Also any mechanic can handle it gasoline camry

Iam ex camry owner and current CR-V owner
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

Post by 123 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:17 am

If you have parking constraints get a Prius, otherwise a Camry. If you live or work in an area that has parking concerns the parking issue can be a showstopper, the greatest vehicle in the world is pretty much useless if it can't be readily available (parking).
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

riots_rus

Post by riots_rus » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:44 am

Avalon.

But if forced to get one of those three I'd get the Camry. Cars are already space-limited in my opinion so I'd get the largest of the three.

Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:00 am

Very different vehicles optimized for different use cases.

But all are good, and you can laugh at insecure Subaru and Mazda owners who feel compelled to justify their purchase decisions.

papito23

Post by papito23 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:02 am

surfstar wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:06 pm
Prius Prime
Eligible for $4500 Federal Tax Credit, plus State and utility credits. If applicable.

If driving enough miles/year, Prius for economy. If size/comfort prioritized, Camry. If needing help sleeping and the Camry doesn't cut it, Corolla.

Test drive them and see what works. Sounds like you just want simple and reliable. Any will do. If the thought of up to 30 miles on electric only sounds cool, or the lowest NET price after rebates, check out the Prime. We were able to purchase a Prime for an incredible deal last Oct. If you search my posts here or on Priuschat you should be able to find the details.
+1

If you have a Prius, might as well get a tax credit, a larger battery, and a plug. Still retain 100% flexibility.

Have a 2011 Prius & like the hatchback.
A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise. -Aldo Leopold's Golden Rule of Ecology

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:16 am

I rented a camry a few weeks ago. It's definitely an "appliance" type car but gets incredible gas mileage for a relatively large car and was spunky enough. The steering feel was my biggest objection but the Corrola's and Prius I have rented were much the same wrt steering. I prefer "german car" type steering . Tight and with decent feedback.

ThunderTurtle

Post by ThunderTurtle » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:17 am

We bought a Corolla years ago when price was more important than space and comfort. Today it'd be a Camry. I wouldn't consider a Prius.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:39 am

David Jay wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:54 pm
Camry is a lot more car than either of the other two - they are both really small/light.
+1. I agree. I have rented Corollas before and was really disappointed. They have rough ride and are noisier than Camry. We were touring Western states and rented a Corolla for the gas economy. I swapped it in Great Falls, Mt because it was noisy, rough ride and handling did not seem too stable. I have never driven a Prius but have never understood the cult like premium price they have.

The last 3 cars I have owned have been 1992 and 2004 Camrys and a 2014 Camry Hybrid. It is hard to beat the value and reliability of a Camry. That said, many younger people might like a more nimble ride like maybe a Mazda 3.