Renewal by Anderson window prices

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bb073084

Renewal by Anderson window prices

Post by Bb073084 »

So I wanted to try to get actual feedback on window costs for renewal by Anderson and Marvin windows. I have 4 windows (2 double casements and 2 single casements) that are currently old Pella architectural series that have started to rot the sash. We live in a stucco house to insert is likely the only option without damaging the stucco. I had RBA come give a quote and was blown away that they proposed $15k gross and $12k net of a promotion for these window replacements. The window frames do not have any noticeable damage and there are no special circumstances that I am aware of that make these more costly to replace. He also said replacing our whole house, about 20 windows would cost $60-$80k.

Can anyone share recent pricing experiences and recommendations for window companies in The twin cities? Trying for a reasonable solution that also matches our remaining wood interior and clad exterior Pella casement windows. I was under the impression that $1-2k per window would be more than enough and hope RBA was just way high.

Thank you!!!
sport

Re: Renewal by Anderson window prices

Post by sport »

Since you are replacing Pella windows, there might be some advantages to getting the new ones from Pella.
Flora

Post by Flora »

I highly recommend Kolbe & Kolbe windows which are made in Wausau, Wisconsin. I replaced all of my windows with top of the line Kolbe & Kolbe windows for about $20k, + installation from a local contractor (8 years ago). This was for 13 windows of varying sizes including barely noticeable screens and 3 sets of sliding glass doors. I couldn't be happier.
bayview

Post by bayview »

Renewal by Anderson windows are notorious for high prices and high pressure selling. You might want to search on the Personal Consumer Issues sub-forum for threads on replacement windows in general.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes »

bayview wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:33 pm Renewal by Anderson windows are notorious for high prices and high pressure selling. You might want to search on the Personal Consumer Issues sub-forum for threads on replacement windows in general.
Yeah, I was shocked by the quote from Renewal by Anderson. The samples were impressive, but I don’t need windows that nice.

Maybe she saw my shock and realized that I was a lost cause because didn’t get any high pressure tactics beyond the “sign today and get an extra 5%” (or whatever it was).
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

If these Pella windows rotted out... did you contact Pella about warranty? Just curious on that.. Why or why not and what the outcome was?
Last edited by tesuzuki2002 on Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Bb073084

Post by Bb073084 »

They are 25 years old so not covered.
Topic Author
Bb073084

Post by Bb073084 »

makingmistakes wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:20 pm
bayview wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:33 pm Renewal by Anderson windows are notorious for high prices and high pressure selling. You might want to search on the Personal Consumer Issues sub-forum for threads on replacement windows in general.
Yeah, I was shocked by the quote from Renewal by Anderson. The samples were impressive, but I don’t need windows that nice.

Maybe she saw my shock and realized that I was a lost cause because didn’t get any high pressure tactics beyond the “sign today and get an extra 5%” (or whatever it was).
What did you go with instead? What was the per window cost?
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

Bb073084 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:14 pm So I wanted to try to get actual feedback on window costs for renewal by Anderson and Marvin windows. I have 4 windows (2 double casements and 2 single casements) that are currently old Pella architectural series that have started to rot the sash. We live in a stucco house to insert is likely the only option without damaging the stucco. I had RBA come give a quote and was blown away that they proposed $15k gross and $12k net of a promotion for these window replacements. The window frames do not have any noticeable damage and there are no special circumstances that I am aware of that make these more costly to replace. He also said replacing our whole house, about 20 windows would cost $60-$80k.

Can anyone share recent pricing experiences and recommendations for window companies in The twin cities? Trying for a reasonable solution that also matches our remaining wood interior and clad exterior Pella casement windows. I was under the impression that $1-2k per window would be more than enough and hope RBA was just way high.

Thank you!!!
4 windows replaced for $12k seems insane.

We live in an area with very high construction costs, and I added replacement of three windows, with Harvey windows, for $1,800.

Yes, this was an add-on to a project involving lots of other work, and yes, Harvey is a step below say Marvin Integrity (so I understand), but still. Even multiplying my per-window cost by two still isn’t near what you were quoted.

If I were you I would get at least 3 other quotes from independent contractors.
Cactuscoug

Post by Cactuscoug »

We have a 2400 sf house and replaced all the windows and three sliders two years ago. We went with Marvin Infinity. And paid around $32,000.

We are happy with the result.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Consider having a contractor look at your windows. If the sashes are rotting, perhaps there is a framing issue that needs to be addressed. In that case you might need new windows/frames rather than just replacement windows which (I believe) just fit into the existing frames.
marti038

Post by marti038 »

We recently bought new sashes (not frames) for 21 windows in our house and paid about $12,000. The cost varies significantly based on materials and other options. I did the replacement myself. Each window took about 30 minutes and wasn't very difficult to do. Painting will take the most time.

We had received quotes in the neighborhood of $50,000+ to replace all the windows and frames in our house. All of ours are double hung. House built in 1959.

If your frames are still in good shape you should consider sash replacement. We're glad we did.
petras52

Post by petras52 »

Hi..I recommend checking out the discussion board of Replacement-Windows.com...it's a helpful site and several regular participants are long time window installers...they can offer some good guidance on brands, prices, etc..
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

I got a quote for a sliding glass door from Renewal by Anderson and a local company. Renewal wanted me to agree to everything right then and there and when I said I have others coming to give me quotes, the guy just packed up and left. The other company was less than half of Renewal and we've had no issues with the door over the years.
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons »

Much better windows out there for less. Just my $0.02.
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"
GingerandPiper

Post by GingerandPiper »

It's spelled AndersEn. E instead of O. Andersen.
ILnative

Post by ILnative »

I would recommend having a contractor (not just a window installer) give you a quote. Pella windows are some of the best around and if they rotted out - there may be an underlying structural/water issue. You will need new windows, for sure, but if there is an underlying problem - it also needs to be fixed.
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

Hire a local contractor. Years ago when I was in construction we would charge $250 per window to change out with new construction style windows (not replacement) plus materials. This was labor cost only and included trimming out the interior and exterior of the window (replacement style are much easier). This was around 2014 just outside New York City.

You need to make sure they don't install new replacements over rotten framing.

Big window replacement companies are heavily scrutinized by the EPA for compliance with lead paint laws. If you have an older house this may account for some of the expense.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Andersen sends me junk mail monthly, and to a community that has a type of windows they don't supply.

Since they have high advertising overhead, and I read stories about their pushy salesmen, I would look elsewhere.
Topic Author
Bb073084

Post by Bb073084 »

ILnative wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:24 am I would recommend having a contractor (not just a window installer) give you a quote. Pella windows are some of the best around and if they rotted out - there may be an underlying structural/water issue. You will need new windows, for sure, but if there is an underlying problem - it also needs to be fixed.
They all rot eventually. Moisture gets into the window and gets stuck in the middle two lanes and drips down to rot the sash. It’s just aging of the seal of the glass overtime. Had my contractor look at them and he thought the frames were fine.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

take advise to have a contractor check the situation, but check out Window World. We had 16 windows replaced by them last year. Great job, reasonable, and good warranty.
fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone »

have about 4 local contractors come by and submit bids. Pick the one you like best. With everything going on, I bet they will be happy to have the work.
Stocks 28 / Gold 23 / Long-term US treasuries 19 / Cash (mainly CDs) 22 / TIPS 8
Prudence

Post by Prudence »

I replaced all the windows in our house with RBA a few years ago in HCA Maryland suburb. The price was about $1,000 per window including the options. I didn't feel pressured but the salesman was persuasive (hard to resist). I looked at a few options including Marvin. Anderson did a great job and the RBA is a great product; this is a case where you get what you pay for.
Topic Author
Bb073084

Post by Bb073084 »

Prudence wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:18 pm I replaced all the windows in our house with RBA a few years ago in HCA Maryland suburb. The price was about $1,000 per window including the options. I didn't feel pressured but the salesman was persuasive (hard to resist). I looked at a few options including Marvin. Anderson did a great job and the RBA is a great product; this is a case where you get what you pay for.
$1k per window would have been reasonable. Seems like the bid I got was way over priced at $3k per window. I will keep shopping. Thank you!
Topic Author
Bb073084

Post by Bb073084 »

Lalamimi wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:02 pm take advise to have a contractor check the situation, but check out Window World. We had 16 windows replaced by them last year. Great job, reasonable, and good warranty.
I will have my contractor take a second look. He thought replacing sashes would be fine as he did not see any structural issues just failing window seals due to age and prior home owners who used a whole house humidifier in the winter that likely made things worse. We do not use the humidifier.
Topic Author
Bb073084

Post by Bb073084 »

So had Marvin quote the same windows and the ball Park range I was provided was $9k for the 4 windows.

Still feels high but these are full frame replacement. Is this ballpark fair value for wood interior and classed exterior windows?
Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound »

Cactuscoug wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:19 am We have a 2400 sf house and replaced all the windows and three sliders two years ago. We went with Marvin Infinity. And paid around $32,000.

We are happy with the result.
Glad to hear, my Marvin Infinity contractor is installing new windows (18) in 2 weeks. For the OP, I spent this winter chasing down a good window and a good installer. My local Marvin windows dealer had the best deal and product all around. I wanted tab framing and full replacement, but with your stucco exterior you are unlikely to get it.

I am a Pella person but when I got their quote and checked BBB regarding their customer service and warranty calls, I walked quickly away.

Check out the Marvin line, they have one style that allows the interior framing to be custom stained to match existing windows and the bonus is they do not rot nor get water stain streaks.
ColoradoRick

Post by ColoradoRick »

OP - our wood windows failed with a bankrupt wood window manufacturer. Looked at Renewal on website and having had experience in the window and millwork industry, thought they were overpriced.

Used a contractor at my church and I specified Andersen's step down brand, but not renewal, their vinyl window line. In 2015 replaced all the windows in our 2035 sq ft home for $15,000 for everything. I bought the windows thru him and he did the labor.

I would think you should be able to do your home for $40,000-20,000 range.

You can PM me if you want.

PS my neighbor used Renewal circa 2011-2012. Had to have 3 windows replaced as they leaked. Anecdotal, but we are VERY happy with ours. He claimed they put those 3 in upside down, but I didn't inspect so I don't know. I just know my windows are tight, and my wife and I love them.
mcamp18

Post by mcamp18 »

If vinyl windows would work in your situation, please look at OKNA windows. The specs are tremendous.
We replaced 26 windows in our house 2 years ago for 14.3K. We have been extremely pleased. Go with
a credible contractor/company. I asked for the most experienced crew when my windows were installed.
I found out about OKNA windows on some home repair/window forums. I had never heard about them prior
to my research. Good luck.

Mark
ColoradoRick

Post by ColoradoRick »

Dear OP - you sent me a private message but I could not send because it says your private messaging is disabled. Therefore I will post the message I was going to send PM to you here:

We had 4 4'x8' combos with a 42" stationary middle and 2 approx. 16" sliders on each side. A couple of other 72" sliders (2 panes). and a couple double hungs. Sorry we did not have any casements.

11 window openings, a 5 ft patio door and 6 ft patio door. also a 30" full view door with blind inside insulated glass. Less than $14,000 installed. 2014

I remember casements used to be a little more expensive and I've been out of millwork for 17 years so my info is dated. Still seems high. Pella & Marvin are pretty much top of the line and I'm sure performance would certainly be fine.

You may want to see if you and your spouse might consider gliders as another less expensive alternative. Paying $20-40,000 you would only get partial payback when you sold the house. Sorry, I hope this helps.
Rick
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

I cannot believe people pay these prices. There is absolutely nothing to the labor to justify those install costs. The Marvin showrooms and replacement by Anderson are banking on the fact that you don't know a local contractor who will do the job for half the price.
Topic Author
Bb073084

Post by Bb073084 »

I am thinking of going with Home Depot. Any experiences locally in the twin cities with Home Depot window installs?
SwampDonkey

Post by SwampDonkey »

We had a bedroom window go bad. Standard size, not too big, not too small. We went through the local Lowe's for replacement. They sent out a rep who showed up on time, was professional and courteous, took measurements, and gave me a price quote for $379 which included installation.

This was several years ago and we haven't had any issues. Not really sure how much more happiness a window that costs 5-10x that would bring me.

West Tennessee, which is a low cost of living, btw.
Topic Author
Bb073084

Post by Bb073084 »

So oddly enough Home Depot’s quote for the 4 windows is about exactly the same as the Marvin dealer. This is for Anderson 400 casement windows with full replacement install. Are wood windows with cladding exterior really about $2k per window???
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Even the worst and cheapest new windows are pretty amazing. Our house was contractor spec built in 2018. The windows look cheap as hell. Double hung aluminum crap. But they perform exceptionally well. No noise from outside. House faces west and with full sun on a Texas afternoon in July there is minimal heat near the panes.
mggray17

Post by mggray17 »

Bb073084 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:23 pm So oddly enough Home Depot’s quote for the 4 windows is about exactly the same as the Marvin dealer. This is for Anderson 400 casement windows with full replacement install. Are wood windows with cladding exterior really about $2k per window???
For comparison, I purchased Anderson 400 Series Hinged French Doors from a building supply store (price is set by Anderson I believe.)
Single 36" X 80" with internal blinds, screens, sales tax and delivery $2000.00 out the door. Same set up but 72" X 80" (one panel fixed) $3000.00.
I would think a window in the same series would be less. And both doors installed by 2 man work crew in a little under 2 days. Labor extra.
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

Bb073084 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:39 am I am thinking of going with Home Depot. Any experiences locally in the twin cities with Home Depot window installs?
"Home Depot" is not a window installation company. They have a list of subcontractors (usually those with fledgeling businesses and few clients) that they will use and it is up to chance whether or not you get someone good. Depends who is available. You are essentially allowing a retail employee to choose a contractor for you. Other people's experiences will not tell you anything.

I will advise you again to find a local contractor through friends and acquaintances as opposed to visiting big, national retailers to find your installer. How big are the windows? My Anderson 400 3-0 x 4-2 double hung windows were just under $500 each to purchase 3 years ago plus the cost of interior/exterior trim, nails, and paint. The full install and paint of 4 windows without complications would probably take me about 3 days or so by myself. Dealing with stucco or masonry exterior is more complex and might take significantly longer depending on the specific situation.
Last edited by FI4LIFE on Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

mggray17 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:28 am
Bb073084 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:23 pm So oddly enough Home Depot’s quote for the 4 windows is about exactly the same as the Marvin dealer. This is for Anderson 400 casement windows with full replacement install. Are wood windows with cladding exterior really about $2k per window???
For comparison, I purchased Anderson 400 Series Hinged French Doors from a building supply store (price is set by Anderson I believe.)
Single 36" X 80" with internal blinds, screens, sales tax and delivery $2000.00 out the door. Same set up but 72" X 80" (one panel fixed) $3000.00.
I would think a window in the same series would be less. And both doors installed by 2 man work crew in a little under 2 days. Labor extra.
Yes a French door is a much more complex install than a window but I am assuming OP is including install in that quote. How much was labor for the French doors?
mggray17

Post by mggray17 »

FI4LIFE wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:57 am
mggray17 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:28 am
Yes a French door is a much more complex install than a window but I am assuming OP is including install in that quote. How much was labor for the French doors?
I'm getting a bunch of work done. So labor gets lumped together and I try to pay without overthinking it. lol. So not sure what it would be if the doors were a stand alone job. OP posted $12K installed after rebates for 4 windows. So I was thinking 2K was the window only.
Topic Author
Bb073084

Post by Bb073084 »

The quotes I am getting include all labor except staining of the interior wood trim after install. So the $2k per window is materials and labor.