Replacement for 4Runner

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fishmonger

Replacement for 4Runner

Post by fishmonger » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:19 am

So wife and I are starting the process of replacing her 2009 Toyota Highlander. We test drove a 2020 4Runner, which was our frontrunner based on owning a 2000 4Runner in the past (best car I've ever owned by a wide margin), and our great history with Toyota's - collectively we've owned 5 with my current vehicle being a 2016 Tacoma.

First thing that blew us away was how cramped the 4Runner was for headroom. I'm 5'8 and my wife is 5'5 but with a long torso so sitting she's closer to 5'8. Both of our heads were an inch or two from the ceiling with the seat more or less straight up. She could lower the driver's seat a bit, but no luck for the passenger seat. Backseat was not much different. We were both somewhat shocked and have friends and family that could literally not fit for a long drive. Other than that, the car met all of our expectations, but the headroom may be a dealbreaker.

That being said, we're kind of back to Square One in terms of other options. We test drove a GMC Acadia that we both liked quite a bit but based on driving Toyota's for so long I'm worried about GM's reputation for reliability. Here are the particulars:

- We are NOT interested in a new HIghlander - too much like a minivan
- Will plan to drive this car for 10+ years, so resale value is not a major concern
- Moonroof
- 3rd Row (two kids and a dog)
- Cloth interior (increasingly hard to find an SUV with decent options that doesn't have leather)
- Max budget is the high 30s

Summit111

Re: Replacement for 4Runner

Post by Summit111 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:31 am

We have a 2007 4Runner...excellent vehicle and in great shape...We are waiting for the 2021 model with upgraded safety features including blind spot monitoring, which the 2020 does not have. Cloth seats may be hard to find with the 3rd row seating option...

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:39 am

DW and I were also shopping for quite awhile for a mid/large SUV to replace her aging Nissan Xterra.
We stopped shopping after February due to Covid-19.

Criteria for us:
We both love the reliability history of Honda's and Toyota's.
Good adjustable power seats were a must for us since DW is all of 5-0 and myself 5-11.
Sometimes the better power seats were only available in premium models.
Rear cargo area had to be very useful since DW hauls a lot of heavy and bulky stuff.
4wd or AWD a must in our area.
Seat material didn't matter since we would order good car seat covers.
DW had to have that rear sensor thing that opens the back hatch automatically and raises it.
Generic SUV's are too car like and too small so they are non starters for DW. She does not care for cars.

Test Drove and inspected (at least once each): (different price ranges)
"Car" "Model" Comments":

Toyota 4Runner (excellent body on frame toughness and load capacity, 4wd, we did not like the style/front end)
. . . . (I liked the 4Runner, DW did not. . moved on)
Toyota Highlander (to car-like, but very nice, poor rear visibility)
Kia Telluride AWD Prestige model (excellent car for the dollar, great ride, interior space, similar style to a Range Rover)
. . . . .(not sure of reliability history, warranty is longer than other suvs)
. . . . (we might order a new 2021 or 2022 if we don't find something better, DW likes it a lot.)
Nissan Armada AWD premium model (excellent, plush, big, too big, great ride and power, very pricey, complex)
Honda Pilot AWD (premium model, excellent workmanship, engine a bit sluggish, a tad high priced per what it seems)
. . . . . (this was at the top of our list for a long time until we drove the Kia Telluride)
Honda Passport AWD (premium model, same as Pilot but smaller, Pilot had more value per dollar it seemed)
Lincoln Aviator AWD (premium model, great power, great ride, a bit gimmicky, overpriced, poor reliabilty ratings)
Ford Explorer AWD (premium model, good power and ride, huge difference in premium model and one level lower, seemed overpriced per what it is. Reliabilty ratings not as good as other brands above.)
Jeep Rubicon (premium model, poor reliablity ratings, very utilitarian, a non starter for us. . though it looks very cool)
Land Rover (poor reliability ratings and history, no dealer in our area so no warranty service, a non starter)

Hope this helps.
j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:42 am

Did you use the seat height adjustment? One of friends is 6’3” and daily drives a 4Runner with no issues whatsoever. He’s not a lean-way-back driver either. The problem with almost any alternative to the 4Runner is lack of reliability. Maybe look at a Telluride, no idea where reliability will land but they have a 10 year warranty and the price is right.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:44 am

Subaru Ascent?

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:45 am

5280Tim wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:42 am
Did you use the seat height adjustment? One of friends is 6’3” and daily drives a 4Runner with no issues whatsoever. He’s not a lean-way-back driver either. The problem with almost any alternative to the 4Runner is lack of reliability. Maybe look at a Telluride, no idea where reliability will land but they have a 10 year warranty and the price is right.
+1
Agreed.
j :happy

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:57 am

4-Runner is my favorite of all-time. A 2005 and a 2015. The headroom is less than many other vehicles, but, as mentioned, it should be adjustable beyond what you have reported. Cannot beat them for reliability and resale. The only issues I had were gasoline mileage and a rougher, though OK, ride than an Odyssey. Interestingly, both got about 18-19 mpg until I discovered the over-drive and increased to 19+ mpg. After being rear-ended with the 2005, the exhaust system was replaced in a 6-cylinder 4-Runner (power is great), and MPG went to 22.5 on average. Due to increasing age, I bought a smaller sedan for safety but the 2005 is still running strong at my son's house with over 180,000 miles and no repairs other than the rear-end and routine maintenance.

Tim

Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:00 am

5280Tim wrote:
Agreed on the lack of reliability. I think we may test drive it again but it was dramatic. I have a real hard time believing that someone 6'3 (7 inches taller than me) could sit in any seat other than the driver's - and even that must be a challenge.

It will be DW's daily driver so not a huge concern for me, but I do like to drive mostly sitting straight up

Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:01 am

Nowizard wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:57 am
4-Runner is my favorite of all-time. A 2005 and a 2015. The headroom is less than many other vehicles, but, as mentioned, it should be adjustable beyond what you have reported. Cannot beat them for reliability and resale. The only issues I had were gasoline mileage and a rougher, though OK, ride than an Odyssey. Interestingly, both got about 18-19 mpg until I discovered the over-drive and increased to 19+ mpg. After being rear-ended with the 2005, the exhaust system was replaced in a 6-cylinder 4-Runner (power is great), and MPG went to 22.5 on average. Due to increasing age, I bought a smaller sedan for safety but the 2005 is still running strong at my son's house with over 180,000 miles and no repairs other than the rear-end and routine maintenance.

Tim
We were pleasantly surprised how smooth the 4Runner rode based on past experience. NH roads are generally terrible, so we made sure to take it over as many rough sections of pavement as possible

retire57

Post by retire57 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:05 am

I'll echo the Telluride suggestion. We didn't know anything about Kia, but test-drove a couple (Niro & Sedona) recently and came away extremely impressed with the features, quality, and price.

H-Dog

Post by H-Dog » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:28 am

What are your plans for the Highlander? Trade it in?

I just purchased an old Honda for a really good price on the used market from a private seller for exactly what they asked for it. It may make sense to sell privately.

gator15

Post by gator15 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:28 am

If I were in the market for a new SUV I would get one of these vehicles: Grand Cherokee, Lexus GX 470, or Kia Telluride. I currently own a 2015 Grand Cherokee and love it. You get a lot of bang for the buck with that vehicle. The GX470 was my second choice in 2015 when I was shopping for vehicles. This vehicle may be out of your price range. My neighbor has a Telluride and I think it’s a beautiful vehicle.

5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:42 am

gator15 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:28 am
If I were in the market for a new SUV I would get one of these vehicles: Grand Cherokee, Lexus GX 470, or Kia Telluride. I currently own a 2015 Grand Cherokee and love it. You get a lot of bang for the buck with that vehicle. The GX470 was my second choice in 2015 when I was shopping for vehicles. This vehicle may be out of your price range. My neighbor has a Telluride and I think it’s a beautiful vehicle.

Gator, not to nitpick, but the GX 470 was last produced in 2009. In 2010 it changed to the GX 460 due to an engine change from a 4.7 L v8 to a 4.6 L v8. That’s what I drive, it’s basically a 4Runner with a bigger engine. Not in OPs stated price range though.

Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:59 am

We have a 2020 Hyundai Pallisade. Like the Kia, check it out
Buy Low, Sell High

gator15

Post by gator15 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:13 pm

5280Tim wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:42 am
gator15 wrote:

Gator, not to nitpick, but the GX 470 was last produced in 2009. In 2010 it changed to the GX 460 due to an engine change from a 4.7 L v8 to a 4.6 L v8. That’s what I drive, it’s basically a 4Runner with a bigger engine. Not in OPs stated price range though.

Sorry. I meant the GX 460

thatme

Post by thatme » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:18 pm

I was also going to recommend the GX460. Best vehicle I’ve ever owned. It’s above your budget new but can be picked up in the used market in your price range. Mine was a one-owner private party deal that I bought at 50k miles for $26k. Absolutely love it.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:32 pm

- Moonroof

Maybe that's what is costing you headroom?

I have no other advice. I thought about a 4runner but I do not need it's offroad capability enough to live with its disadvantages (larger than I need, poor gas mileage, ponderousness).

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:02 pm

TxAg wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:44 am
Subaru Ascent?
+1 We love our Ascent.

Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:35 pm

gator15 wrote:
A Jeep would be towards the bottom of my list.

My mother is on her 4th Jeep Grand, all in the $50k range. She loves them for some reason and is a creature of habit. I find them to be uncomfortable, with blind spots and all have had some kind of engine/transmission issues.

If I was going to buy an SUV that I knew would have serious mechanical issues after 6-8 years I'd save $20k and buy a Volkswagen

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:40 pm

If you're going for a Toyota, I would look toward a Land Cruiser, or a Lexus LX 570. Same exact powertrain. If you look used, a lot of times the Lexus is cheaper, as some folks like to have the "Land Cruiser" badge for "prestige". They are damn fine vehicles that will both last forever, they have full-time AWD which is awesome, and are safe.

I want one, but have other priorities right now.

All the best -

Edited to add: I could never in my right mind buy a GMC or a Jeep due to reliability. Just no way. I think the Kia Telluride looks nice, but I don't know a thing about it.

Edited to add: In your price range :D
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... =spotlight
Last edited by TallBoy29er on Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:51 pm

What you're describing is actually another Highlander. Can't help you with how it looks. I'm surprised you're so set against it based on looks, it's not like any Toyota is very attractive and certainly your current highlander wasn't sold on sexy looks. Let's be honest with 2 kids and a dog and 3 rows a requirement, forget about minivan looks, an actual minivan would actually be the smartest choice.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

jmberry_2

Post by jmberry_2 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:06 am

We have a 2019 Subaru Ascent Touring. Great car so far.

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:21 am

Honda Pilot.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:33 am

fishmonger wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:00 am
5280Tim wrote:
Agreed on the lack of reliability. I think we may test drive it again but it was dramatic. I have a real hard time believing that someone 6'3 (7 inches taller than me) could sit in any seat other than the driver's - and even that must be a challenge.

It will be DW's daily driver so not a huge concern for me, but I do like to drive mostly sitting straight up
DW's been shopping for an SUV to replace her aging NIssan Xterra.
We're both Toyota fans and a new 4Runner was top on the list. . . .
. . . until we looked at and drove the Kia Telluride AWD Prestige Edition.
Long warranty, reliability record (so far), and value per dollar, workmanship, ride and handling, etc.

I like that the 4Runner is body on frame and its load capacity. But. . . .

Still on the fence. . Telluride vs 4Runner
j :D

Beach

Post by Beach » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:38 am

5280Tim wrote:
gator15 wrote:

This! I wish I would have gotten a GX instead of my 4Runner. You can get a used one in your price range most likely

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:43 am

I traded a 2015 4Runner in for a GMC 1/2 crew. I love my GMC truck now. At 6'4 250 the extra room in the GMC is a blessing for me. I need open space.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:04 am

Beach wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:38 am
This! I wish I would have gotten a GX instead of my 4Runner. You can get a used one in your price range most likely
This would be my recommendation as well. The GX and 4Runner are both based on the same vehicle--the Land Cruiser Prado. The GX is pretty much a direct conversion, while the 4Runner is modified to be a little smaller. The GX is quite a bit taller, and is pretty much the most reliable SUV available. It's also ancient (current version dates back to MY2010), so you don't lose much by buying used.

However, per the OPs requirements, it can not be gotten without leather. If this objection is a texture/feel thing, that can be corrected with a nice set of seat covers. If it's a philosophical thing (Vegan, etc), then I think the GX is out.

GS

Post by GS » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:08 am

It is my understanding that the GX requires Premium gasoline. I have been an owner of 2 4runners and have been very pleased. When I bought my second 4runner I looked at the GX but did not want to have to use Premium gas.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:09 am

fishmonger wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:19 am
First thing that blew us away was how cramped the 4Runner was for headroom. I'm 5'8 and my wife is 5'5 but with a long torso so sitting she's closer to 5'8. Both of our heads were an inch or two from the ceiling with the seat more or less straight up. She could lower the driver's seat a bit, but no luck for the passenger seat. Backseat was not much different. We were both somewhat shocked and have friends and family that could literally not fit for a long drive. Other than that, the car met all of our expectations, but the headroom may be a dealbreaker.
I find it hard to believe that for your heights headspace isn't enough. As others have pointed out you should have some setting to take seat "down", so you'd have more space for your head. If that is the only concern and since you've had success with this vehicle, I would recommend checking the setting of seat to confirm.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:46 am

OP --- I have not known how to respond to this thread since your comment on the headroom is literally the first time I've heard this as a complaint. They're not the most spacious interior wise, but my guess is something was off in the height adjustment. I'm on the taller side and am used to having to move the drivers or passengers seat all the way down to the floor. I had zero issues with 4Runners.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:48 am

For the commentators on GX... and Land Cruiser to some extent... I don't think you can find either in cloth interior as OP specified. I suppose that the base GX might have fake leather though, but it's not cloth.

At GX and Land Cruiser pricing though, I'd be surprised if they're equipped with cloth in the base model.

cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:18 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:46 am
OP --- I have not known how to respond to this thread since your comment on the headroom is literally the first time I've heard this as a complaint. They're not the most spacious interior wise, but my guess is something was off in the height adjustment. I'm on the taller side and am used to having to move the drivers or passengers seat all the way down to the floor. I had zero issues with 4Runners.
yeah...I don't own a 4runner but my brother in law does and he is 6'6". One of the reason he likes the 4 runner is for the legroom and headroom. That and he loves toyotas. One thing that amazes me about the 4runners is how much they hold their value.

T4REngineer

Post by T4REngineer » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:38 pm

Something is off - No head room issues for myself (5'10) or my wife (5'12) and we both drive 5th gen 4runners w/ Sunroofs but I will concede body builds can be different and maybe you have puffy hair ;)

Unfortunately I do not think you are going to find what you want, without some consessions

*Sounds like looks matter so you and her have to make a look of what is ok and what is not
*Headroom issues 4runner - I'll take your word that this is now off the table - however you do not touch the roof you said so if a couple inches is not enough clearance how much is? Measure your current vehicles so you can evaluate everything you test drive with this information.
*Moon roof - this will almost always decrease headroom :(
*Cloth seats - likely the easiest to overcome if you are willing to put on seat covers - its going to cost you but don't think of seat covers as the generic loose fitting junk you buy at sams club - they have form fitted seat covers and they look and hold up well (think Carhart, Wet Okole etc)

I have a note on reliability - the 4runner is dead nuts reliable and most of the components are simply beefier then CUV counter parts but you pay for this in ride quality, MPG etc. Doesn't seem like this will bother you

Best of luck in your search

researcher

Post by researcher » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:06 pm

fishmonger wrote:
So wife and I are starting the process of replacing her 2009 Toyota Highlander. We test drove a 2020 4Runner, which was our frontrunner based on owning a 2000 4Runner in the past.
The 4Runner is an ancient body-on-frame dinosaur that dates back more than a decade.
You should look elsewhere, since no where on your list was the desire to spent lots of time off-road.
Here is what Car & Driver says about it...
This body-on-frame off-roader features control feel that's better suited to rock-crawling than mall-crawling. So if you care at all about how your daily driver goes around a freeway entrance ramp and Moab isn't in your vacation plans, look elsewhere.

I would strongly suggest you look at the Kia Telluride.
No question that is the vehicle I would buy if I were in your shoes.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:11 pm

researcher wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:06 pm
fishmonger wrote:
So wife and I are starting the process of replacing her 2009 Toyota Highlander. We test drove a 2020 4Runner, which was our frontrunner based on owning a 2000 4Runner in the past.
The 4Runner is an ancient body-on-frame dinosaur that dates back more than a decade.
You should look elsewhere, since no where on your list was the desire to spent lots of time off-road.
Here is what Car & Driver says about it...
This body-on-frame off-roader features control feel that's better suited to rock-crawling than mall-crawling. So if you care at all about how your daily driver goes around a freeway entrance ramp and Moab isn't in your vacation plans, look elsewhere.

I would strongly suggest you look at the Kia Telluride.
No question that is the vehicle I would buy if I were in your shoes.
Yeah, there's an enormous difference between "kinda want AWD" and "really need 4WD."

The 4runner has a cult following because of its claimed durability. And it IS one of the few vehicles that is happy off-road, and maybe the only offroad- capable SUV with good reliability. But when a cheaper, more comfortable, more up to date crossover easily lasts 100-200K miles...you (I mean I) gotta ask whether it's worth the extra cost and gas mileage. I know where I stand.

burgrat

Post by burgrat » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:22 pm

I have a 2017 4 Runner Limited and it's just "ok", imo. Drives nicely and not too horrible on gas. Plenty of room (I'm 6'3") and no issues with leg or headroom and that includes passengers.
My main complaint would be the GPS/Navigation/Radio screen. It's too small and navigation use is not easy. Much easier to use phone with GPS. Also the lower half of the touchscreen quit working a 1 week after my warranty expired so I have a touchscreen that can't control radio channels, play/pause, etc. A replacement is over $1,200. That alone has soured me on the 4Runner.
The positives are that they do retain their value well and they are reliable.

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:26 pm

T4REngineer wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:38 pm
Something is off - No head room issues for myself (5'10) or my wife (5'12) and we both drive 5th gen 4runners w/ Sunroofs ....
Does she object to being described as a six footer?

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:33 pm

EddyB wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:26 pm
T4REngineer wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:38 pm
Something is off - No head room issues for myself (5'10) or my wife (5'12) and we both drive 5th gen 4runners w/ Sunroofs ....
Does she object to being described as a six footer?
Probably no more than he objects to her describing him as a six incher.

researcher

Post by researcher » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:49 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:11 pm
The 4runner has a cult following because of its claimed durability.
Another thing driving interest in this old beast is the fact that 'butch' styling is all the rage now.
For some reason, consumers love the SUV faux toughness look...
Aggressive front ends, plastic body cladding, fake skid plates, jacked up ride height, ect.

5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:34 pm

Beach wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:38 am
5280Tim wrote:
gator15 wrote:

I love my GX. It is thirsty, but I like the extra power from the v8 vs the 4Runner. It’s matters at elevation. Mine was driven by an older lady for a few years, so I got it cheap (cheaper than a similar age/mileage 4Runner), for cash, with only about 50k miles on the clock. Every GX comes with leather, some 4Runner models use their fake leather, which is actually really nice. I’d it is a texture concern, I’d get some good seat covers (Wet Okole) so that I could take them off and wash them every once in a while.

The GX does require premium gas, although if you live at a higher elevation, you can use regular or mid grade without any issues.

5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:36 pm

researcher wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:49 pm
adamthesmythe wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:11 pm
The 4runner has a cult following because of its claimed durability.
Another thing driving interest in this old beast is the fact that 'butch' styling is all the rage now.
For some reason, consumers love the SUV faux toughness look...
Aggressive front ends, plastic body cladding, fake skid plates, jacked up ride height, ect.
The 4Runner skid plates aren’t “fake.” They are very capable of doing their job if you take it off-road.

lurker415

Post by lurker415 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:58 pm

I'm still clinging to my 2004 GX 470 -- there just aren't a lot of off-roadable SUVs under $40K except for the Jeeps. But I am strongly considering the Palisade or Telluride -- they seem like amazing values. Also, the Mazda CX-9 has some appeal if I decide I don't need something with more clearance.

researcher

Post by researcher » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:00 pm

5280Tim wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:36 pm
The 4Runner skid plates aren’t “fake.” They are very capable of doing their job if you take it off-road.
I'm talking about the silver painted front & rear lower fascias, meant to simulate metal skid plates.

You will find them on the "Off-Road" version of the 4Runner.
None of the other models have this "feature".
The truly capable TRD Pro doesn't even have them, because it has an actual real visible skid plate.

You see this same approach with the new Rav4.
There are a bunch of different trim levels, but only ONE has the faux skid plate look, the "Adventure" model.

See the trend here..."Off-Road" and "Adventure"...they are appealing to consumers who want to look outdoorsy while waiting in the Starbucks drive-thru.

5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:38 pm

researcher wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:00 pm
5280Tim wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:36 pm
I'm talking about the silver painted front & rear lower fascias, meant to simulate metal skid plates.

You will find them on the "Off-Road" version of the 4Runner.
None of the other models have this "feature".
The truly capable TRD Pro doesn't even have them, because it has an actual real visible skid plate.

You see this same approach with the new Rav4.
There are a bunch of different trim levels, but only ONE has the faux skid plate look, the "Adventure" model.

See the trend here..."Off-Road" and "Adventure"...they are appealing to consumers who want to look outdoorsy while waiting in the Starbucks drive-thru.
Got it. I just know the ones underneath are real because I almost knocked myself out changing the oil on my wife’s 4Runner one day. 😁

Agree about the false bravado of a lot of vehicles though. But, there are a lot of folks that go after characteristics in certain cars that I would never consider. And I’m sure my logic wouldn’t translate to most of them either. To keep this on topic, I would encourage the OP to go take another look at a 4Runner. An SR5 is a great option for something in the price range mentioned that will hold its value for a long time.

Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:28 am

Thanks for the replies all. As I stated in my initial post, I do not need to be convinced of the 4Runner's reliability/reputation/resale value (I've owned Toyotas for 20 years). I thought we would walk in, take a test drive, and take it home but as I stated we are having second thoughts. Due to the fact that we own our vehicles for 10+ years, we want to explore a bit.

Thoughts on VW Tiguan? I know Volkswagen's reliability and repair costs are about the polar opposites of Toyota. That being said they are sharp and VW's are always fun to drive and for $10k less I think we may take a look

Beach

Post by Beach » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:40 am

fishmonger wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:28 am
Thanks for the replies all. As I stated in my initial post, I do not need to be convinced of the 4Runner's reliability/reputation/resale value (I've owned Toyotas for 20 years). I thought we would walk in, take a test drive, and take it home but as I stated we are having second thoughts. Due to the fact that we own our vehicles for 10+ years, we want to explore a bit.

Thoughts on VW Tiguan? I know Volkswagen's reliability and repair costs are about the polar opposites of Toyota. That being said they are sharp and VW's are always fun to drive and for $10k less I think we may take a look
If you aren't going to use the 4Runner for its off-road capabilities, then a Tiguan would be fine (or any other unibody SUV). Just don't expect the Tiguan to be able to do anything close to what a 4Runner can do off-road.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:55 am

"I'm talking about the silver painted front & rear lower fascias, meant to simulate metal skid plates."

Nonsense, those are just trim. The real skid plates are underneath - engine, transmission, gas tank, etc. I have a 2016 Trail Premium with KDSS. Now that model is called the Off Road Premium. The KDSS really does improve the hard surface cornering and the off road wheel articulation.

I use mine for towing a 16' fishing boat to lakes with no ramps and often no roads and loading the boat over the bank to bass fish. My wife and I also frequent the Outer Banks of NC and drive the beaches. Well, I drive the 4Runner, she sticks to her Avalon Touring. Unfortunately we couldn't go to Ocracoke Island the beginning of April this year.

Fwiw, I'm 6'0" and 210#. And a few months from 70.

researcher

Post by researcher » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:16 am

fishmonger wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:28 am

The VW Tiguan is actually classified as a Compact SUV, so smaller than your current consideration set, though it does have 3-row capability.
It was rated highly in a recent review, placing just behind the Mazda CX-5...
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/co ... omparison/

Given that you don't plan to spend lots of time off-road, I would completely forget the 4Runner.
It is rated #21 out ouf #22 midsize SUVs (just ahead of the Dodge Journey)...
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g ... v/?slide=3

researcher

Post by researcher » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:21 am

andypanda wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:55 am
Nonsense, those are just trim. The real skid plates are underneath.
I agree they are nonsense, and I agree they are just trim.
But the reason manufactures do this is to simulate the look of real skid plates, in order to make them look tough and outdoorsy, for all of the suburban buyers who want that look (however fake it may be).

Out of all the 4Runner models, why do you think only the "Off-Road" trim gets this?
Of all the Rav4 models, why does only the "Adventure" trim get this?

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:36 am

The trim pieces on the bumpers don't simulate skid plates. ALL 4Runners come with skid plates. Who in the world ever confused a bumper on the end of a vehicle for a skid plate underneath?

From the toyota site on 2020 4Runners...
"Skid plates — on engine/front suspension, fuel tank and transfer case (transfer case on 4x4 models only)"

The TRD model gets a special TRD-marked front skid plate. Some members of the 4Runner forum spend the extra money to buy one and switch out the plain one that came on their non-TRD model. It will fit on my KDSS equipped Trail Premium if I grind out an opening on both sides to allow the sway bars to move down. A pattern is available from one of the members fwiw.

People that do a lot of rock crawling ditch the factory skid plates and buy steel or thick aluminum 3rd party skids. And bumpers. And winches. Etc.