How to deal with loud neighbor bass noise in NYC

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bigguy8437

How to deal with loud neighbor bass noise in NYC

Post by bigguy8437 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:00 pm

I live in an apartment building in NYC. The tenants in the building are mostly 22-25 year old males who like to party. One day way back in the fall, the neighbors above me were playing loud bass music until 3am. I went up and knocked on their door and asked them to turn it down/off and they did, and the guy gave me his number and said to contact him again if I ever needed to. He was pretty understanding.

Well flash forward to now, and the neighbors still play their loud bass here and there. It's usually just on weekends and mostly Saturdays, but it's still just a loud THUMP THUMP bass noise that reverberates through our ceilings and walls. I've gotten so much anxiety about it, and sometimes even put my ear against the wall to see if I can hear anything. All I want them is to turn the bass down, we can't even hear the music at all. Bass travels so much farther than just normal sound. I just want to be able to sit in my apartment and be able to relax and not have to constantly worry about the bass being turned on and drive me crazy! What is the best way to approach my neighbor again about this? Should I text him since I already have his number? Or go and knock on his door, which I'd rather avoid, or write a letter?

alex_686

Re: How to deal with loud neighbor bass noise in NYC

Post by alex_686 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:04 pm

Does the apartment have noise rules? It should be in your lease.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:05 pm

So he gave you his phone number and told you to contact him again if it was an issue. And you're asking us whether you should contact him now that it's an issue again? Could've just texted him in the time it took you to type that post.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:07 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:00 pm
I live in an apartment building in NYC. The tenants in the building are mostly 22-25 year old males who like to party. One day way back in the fall, the neighbors above me were playing loud bass music until 3am. I went up and knocked on their door and asked them to turn it down/off and they did, and the guy gave me his number and said to contact him again if I ever needed to. He was pretty understanding.

Well flash forward to now, and the neighbors still play their loud bass here and there. It's usually just on weekends and mostly Saturdays, but it's still just a loud THUMP THUMP bass noise that reverberates through our ceilings and walls. I've gotten so much anxiety about it, and sometimes even put my ear against the wall to see if I can hear anything. All I want them is to turn the bass down, we can't even hear the music at all. Bass travels so much farther than just normal sound. I just want to be able to sit in my apartment and be able to relax and not have to constantly worry about the bass being turned on and drive me crazy! What is the best way to approach my neighbor again about this? Should I text him since I already have his number? Or go and knock on his door, which I'd rather avoid, or write a letter?
Apartment tenants and their associated activities are highly variable. This is apartment living. Everyone knows this! I highly recommend that you find another place to live. You would most likely enjoy living in a house.

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:08 pm

Invite him down to your apartment before he lowers the music so he can hear what you hear.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

Teague

Post by Teague » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:10 pm

That's the problem with bass music. It travels far and wide.

Trout music on the other hand is much more pleasant. And crappie music is, well, there's just a whole lot of that around.

But seriously, if the majority of tenants in the building don't find it objectionable, you may have a real problem in that location. But I wonder if some other tenants do in fact object? Is there a way you could casually mention this to some other neighbors to sort of take the temperature of their feelings about this? If they also find it bothersome, perhaps a friendly joint chat or note to your neighboring DJ could be in order.
Semper Augustus

oldfort

Post by oldfort » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:12 pm

If you've contacted him once and the behavior continues, I would either A) contact the landlord, B) move into a quieter community when the lease runs out, or C) learn to live with it. Nothing good can come from confronting a bunch of drunk twenty-something males at 3AM.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:27 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:

Well flash forward to now, and the neighbors still play their loud bass here and there. It's usually just on weekends and mostly Saturdays, but it's still just a loud THUMP THUMP bass noise that reverberates through our ceilings and walls. I've gotten so much anxiety about it, and sometimes even put my ear against the wall to see if I can hear anything.
It sounds like, maybe, you are the one who is out of sync with community standards. If it is only on Saturdays, and not in the middle of the night, that seems to fit with the vibe of the building. I do feel bad for though, as I can only imagine that the psychological impact of this must be heightened tremendously in a time of #StayatHome. Have you tried playing your own TV or music at the same time to cover and distract yourself? I would reserve using the neighbor’s number if it was excessive in volume, quantity or time of day. That does not seem to be what you are describing.
Last edited by Katietsu on Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

swordandscales

Post by swordandscales » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:28 pm

Buy a drum set, prepare for battle.
Discipline is freedom. | -Jocko Willink

Teague

Post by Teague » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:32 pm

swordandscales wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:28 pm
Bagpipes.
Semper Augustus

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:33 pm

Mr.BB wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:08 pm
Invite him down to your apartment before he lowers the music so he can hear what you hear.
I've done this and it works. . . for awhile.
Permanent cure is to move. Resolve never to be in only the highest apartment with nothing above.

Noise complaints are tough. Landlords take a beating.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

squirm

Post by squirm » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:25 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:33 pm
Mr.BB wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:08 pm
I've done this and it works. . . for awhile.
Permanent cure is to move. Resolve never to be in only the highest apartment with nothing above.

Noise complaints are tough. Landlords take a beating.
Agree, it's time to just get out. You said it's twenty something's, it's probably not going to be resolved. Only other way is to try and be friends, maybe have a beer and Xbox, get to know them, then ask to keep it down but that takes time.

makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:44 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:

Are you a big guy like your handle suggests? That gives you some leverage :-)

I feel your pain though ... noisy neighbors used to drive me nuts. I’d try a combination of talking to him again in a friendly manner and things like a ceiling fan and white noise machine and earplugs.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:49 pm

Earplugs now, move when lease is up. Tell landlord why you are moving.

7th_Diagram

Post by 7th_Diagram » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:56 pm

File an online complaint to 311 everytime.
"You have to understand, most people are not ready to be unplugged,and many of them are so injured, so hopelessly dependent upon the system, that they will fight to protect it." | ~Morpheus

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:59 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:33 pm
Resolve never to be in only the highest apartment with nothing above.

I live on the top floor of a condo and living on the top floor certainly has it's advantages for eliminating some noise issues. But bass music travels just as well up as down. I hear it from time to time from the unit below me. Fortunately it's not very often and not for long periods of time so it's not a big issue for me.

So far.

Poorman

Post by Poorman » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:05 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:49 pm
How do earplugs block bass???

squirm

Post by squirm » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:09 pm

Poorman wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:05 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
How do earplugs block bass???
They don't.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:14 pm

Sounds (heh heh) like the guy may have gotten a new subwoofer or simply learned how to turn his up.

I would text him a thank you for cutting the overall noise level down when you asked him previously but say that the bass is now overwhelming in your apartment. Ask him if he could turn the bass down some--at least after 9 or 10pm. I would also invite him down for a beer if he would like to see for himself how his bass is heard and felt in your apartment.

But if it were me, I would be hunting a quieter place to live as well.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:19 pm

Would noise canceling headphone help?
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

muffins14

Post by muffins14 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:22 pm

+1 for texting. He asked you to do so. Might as well try

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:24 pm

Raybo wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:19 pm
Would noise canceling headphone help?
Better than nothing but not really. Subwoofers from stereo and gaming systems are on the floor and penetrate structures. DeLt with this before and it is miserable. Oddly, sometimes it seems louder in adjacent units side and up n down than in the unit of offense.

OP: consider moving. It will keep happening due to neighbors friends and lifestyle.
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

More Please

Post by More Please » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:33 pm

I concur with the advocates for moving. Sad to say but if you sensitive to noise you need to be careful of neighbors and avoid apartment, townhouse living.

Poorman

Post by Poorman » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:44 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:14 pm
Sounds (heh heh) like the guy may have gotten a new subwoofer or simply learned how to turn his up.

I would text him a thank you for cutting the overall noise level down when you asked him previously but say that the bass is now overwhelming in your apartment. Ask him if he could turn the bass down some--at least after 9 or 10pm. I would also invite him down for a beer if he would like to see for himself how his bass is heard and felt in your apartment.

But if it were me, I would be hunting a quieter place to live as well.
Perfect response

sergio

Post by sergio » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:56 pm

More Please wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:33 pm
I concur with the advocates for moving. Sad to say but if you sensitive to noise you need to be careful of neighbors and avoid apartment, townhouse living.
Townhouses aren't too bad since they either have a cement block wall in between units, or at the very least two detached walls with an airspace between them to kill any low-frequency noise. Most codes specify townhouses have to be structurally independent and can't share anything but siding and roof, which really helps.

It's disgusting how cheaply put together some walls are in apartments (and even high end condos!). Years back I lived in a wood frame building from the 1960s. At one point the landlord had to open up my side of the party wall to determine why it was intermittently damp. The wall literally consisted of 1/2" drywall directly on a 2x4 stud with another 1/2" drywall on the other side. There wasn't even any of that pink fluffy insulation in there. I could hear every time my neighbors argued, played music, and even farted!

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:07 pm

I completely understand where you are coming from. I am also sensitive to noise and I had a similar situation where my neighbor would have guests over and I would be able to listen in on their conversation until well past 3am. I'm also non confrontational so that didn't help either. Best course would be to let the neighbor know that you are still hearing the bass in your unit and ask if it is indeed them. If so, ask if they could lower it to a level where it wouldn't impact you. Come to a mutual agreement. The neighbor seems reasonable. Don't be afraid to bring it up. If this fails after numerous requests, bring in the landlord. Bring with you a documented chart of when you hear the neighbor's bass.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:21 pm

Several posters advise OP to move to another place but much of NYC living is apartment-style, particularly in Manhattan. Assuming OP ends up in another apartment building, they could end up again with a noisy neighbor. That said, I suppose some buildings may skew more to quiet or louder living conditions. My guess is that a building geared to 22-25 year olds would skew louder, all else equal. So, maybe if OP moves they should look at buildings with older residents. But, it's tricky. If people are 30s to 40s in age they may have young children, which can create a different noise dynamic. In that case, maybe OP needs to look more for apartment dwellers without kids (including "empty nesters"), but this demographic may be older than OP wants, assuming they are also in the 20-25 age bracket.

Less familiar with the housing stock in the outer boroughs of NYC, but maybe there would be some row houses in certain areas that could be an option for OP. Not sure.

gwe67

Post by gwe67 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:30 pm

How about a noise canceling device (not headphones).

https://www.bestdailyreviews.com/best-n ... g-devices/
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads

nyclon

Post by nyclon » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:35 pm

7th_Diagram wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:56 pm
File an online complaint to 311 everytime.
This. The city keeps track of repetitive complaints and will visit the neighbors on your behalf.

https://portal.311.nyc.gov/article/?kanumber=KA-01017
Last edited by nyclon on Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:36 pm

I love living in a small town in the mountains.
Retired 2018 age 61/Variable Percentage Withdrawal method/One fund: VTINX all accounts/No mortgage,debt/Good enough | "Not using an alarm is one of the great glories of my life." Robert Greene

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:42 pm

OP I am in your shoes except that my neighbors are rude. They slapped the door once in my face when I had to knock to ask them to keep it down (after they had accepted (hours before) a chocolate gift I brought to them)! Nothing has worked in my situation. The landlord is a public company and using mediocre employees who are only good at sweet-talk. Police didn't work. I am now considering my last option: To move out.

Since your neighbors were nicer though, I would text them and see how will it go. Good luck and tell us back what happened.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:01 pm

Frequently moving is not an option, especially if you have a great or a good rent.
I've been in this situation and still have occasional noise that is annoying.

I did try the noise neutralizing machines and they were of limited values. The only
thing that really helped was the Bose QC25 headphones. They didn't eliminate the low
noise but made it bearable. If I was watching videos it drowned out all background
noise so I could hear the videos and/or music.

They were comfortable enough I could sleep with them on if I had to. Usually the
noise stopped about 11:30 on Saturday nights. If I was out, no problem, it stopped
before I came home. If I was home, on went the headphones.

Finally they moved out and the new tenants are much MUCH quieter.

Try the headphones. If they have the super large super woofers where you
FEEL the bass, it won't help as much. If it's just the sound, they can be useful
and worth the money.

wootwoot

Post by wootwoot » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:09 pm

Call the police.

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:11 pm

02nz wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:05 pm
So he gave you his phone number and told you to contact him again if it was an issue. And you're asking us whether you should contact him now that it's an issue again? Could've just texted him in the time it took you to type that post.
Why do you assume it’s a cell number? If it’s his home, could be a landline.
Teague wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:32 pm
swordandscales wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:28 pm
Bagpipes.
Christmas music.
Dottie57 wrote:
Ambien prescription, problem solved.

Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:12 pm

Thread is locked. Neighbor issues are off topic for this forum.