Amazon pages often take long time to load

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
knightrider

Amazon pages often take long time to load

Post by knightrider » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:31 am

Amazon product pages have become so bloated that they take forever to load. They are trying to load up all the countless reviews and product comparisons. Sometimes they lock up my browser with the "Unresponsive script" message.

You would think with all their smarts they would know how to create a page that loads quickly! Typical example of techies who only care about what's cool for them while ignoring the user experience.

I am using Firefox 68.7 (32-bit) on a Windows 10 laptop with 8GB RAM.

Trader Joe

Re: Amazon pages often take long time to load

Post by Trader Joe » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:38 am

knightrider wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:31 am
Amazon product pages have become so bloated that they take forever to load. They are trying to load up all the countless reviews and product comparisons. Sometimes they lock up my browser with the "Unresponsive script" message.

You would think with all their smarts they would know how to create a page that loads quickly! Typical example of techies who only care about what's cool for them while ignoring the user experience.

No problems here.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:43 am

Trader Joe wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:38 am
knightrider wrote:

No problems here.
None here either. Windows 10 laptop running 64 bit Chrome on very slow Celeron processor and 4 gb RAM. I do struggle with YouTube due to the extremely slow processor and low amount of RAM but Amazon is still smooth.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:45 am

Have you tried another browser?

Have you tried clearing your history/cookies so past Amazon searches don’t cause similar products from past searches to clog the feed from new searches? I am finding that past recent searches for “masks” and paper products are causing these products to show up in Amazon search results for unrelated items. But I am not experiencing any long page load times.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:42 pm

Upgrade Firefox to the 64 bit version, if you can do so.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:02 pm

I just read that Amazon is, shockingly, actually trying to reduce orders. Taking out fewer ads, fewer targeted links. Perhaps making their site run crappier is part of that effort. Works fine for me.

Good for them if their goal is to reduce total orders so they can better deliver critical things to those who need it. I'm suspicious of course.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212

goaties

Post by goaties » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:22 pm

I have long had this problem. My theory is my low-cost internet which is just barely broadband. I use Firefox with lots of privacy stuff set also. Maybe that's a problem as well. Anyway, just a couple of my theories. It's enough to make me avoid Amazon unless as a last resort.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:46 pm

Windows 10 using Chrome it takes less than a second per page. Blink and you miss it.

wander

Post by wander » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:57 pm

Personally, I think Firefox is terrible. I prefer Chrome or Opera Browser for Windows 10.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:32 pm

I believe that it may be your internet speed that is the problem. Do a speed test.

Ralph

telemark

Post by telemark » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:37 pm

In my experience Amazon is one of the faster sites. Target, Walmart, Walgreens, etc. are all even slower. And yes, they all really drag on my older desktop. I've sat in meetings where web sites were being designed, and no one ever speaks in favor of removing anything to make it run faster :(

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:30 pm

Quite possibly COVID related if it is recent. With most retail shut down Amazon is likely getting hit with many more shoppers and orders. With people locked in their homes they are streaming more internet and slowing down your connection.

I've been noticing with my local grocery store websites that when I try to pull up their weekly ads or coupons I am either hitting a "please wait" page or getting a text only page. They are getting slammed with people setting up online orders which slows down those of us still going in the store who just want to see which bourbons have coupons this week. I find looking on my phone works better.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:02 pm

knightrider wrote:

No issues here either. Maybe just another clueless user blaming IT for their own cluelessness. :D

Sounds like you have some technical issues on your side. I haven't seen any unresponsive script messages in years unless I am using IE.

1. First of all that browser should be upgraded to 64bit. MS Office is the only app that should be run in 32bit if there is a choice.
2. Do you have the same issue with Edge or Chrome?
3. Internet speed
4. Router/modem? rebooted?
5. Virus/malware problems
6. download the app for your phone

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:03 pm

wander wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:57 pm
Personally, I think Firefox is terrible. I prefer Chrome or Opera Browser for Windows 10.
I'm liking edge

Topic Author
knightrider

Post by knightrider » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:13 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:02 pm
1. First of all that browser should be upgraded to 64bit. MS Office is the only app that should be run in 32bit if there is a choice.
Unfortunately I have no choice as Firefox 32-bit is what is provided by our corporate IT ( this is a work laptop ).

I checked and Chrome is faster and does not give any error about slow script slowing the page down.

However, the pages are VERY long to scroll through. I am not a fan of this "infinite scrolling" that seems to be in fashion now. That's probably why Firefox is choking. It's trying to load all the content up.

mancich

Post by mancich » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:32 am

No issues here. Windows 10, Blaze browser, FIOS gigabit

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:09 am

knightrider wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:13 pm
wfrobinette wrote:
Unfortunately I have no choice as Firefox 32-bit is what is provided by our corporate IT ( this is a work laptop ).

I checked and Chrome is faster and does not give any error about slow script slowing the page down.

However, the pages are VERY long to scroll through. I am not a fan of this "infinite scrolling" that seems to be in fashion now. That's probably why Firefox is choking. It's trying to load all the content up.
Ah! It is your IT shop that's causing the issue. I apologize.

Yes the infinite scroll is sometimes painful but its better than having to click next repeatedly.

lindsayinsf

Post by lindsayinsf » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:40 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:09 am
knightrider wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:13 pm
wfrobinette wrote:

Ah! It is your IT shop that's causing the issue. I apologize.

Yes the infinite scroll is sometimes painful but its better than having to click next repeatedly.
Just for educational purposes...pages with many elements or infinite scroll (Amazon, Walmart, Zappos, Facebook, Twitter, etc) are designed to load the most important items first and the least important (reviews, other product suggestions) last. The page should be delivering you the main info before the rest of the page is fully loaded. This is still annoying as the person waiting for the rest of the page to load.

Have you tried submitting a ticket to your IT to see what they can do about it?