Frugal quarantine habits to keep

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mw1739

Re: Frugal quarantine habits to keep

Post by mw1739 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:05 pm

Started shopping at Aldi since it’s less crowded than the other options and the pickup options are usually 1+ week out at our usual store. Enjoying the quality of food and the lower prices. I would guess I’m saving at least $20 a week if not closer to $50.

makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:19 pm

knightrider wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:14 pm
millennialmillions wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:45 pm
I've heard bidet sales are way up, but I suspect it will be a while before the saving on toilet paper offsets the bidet cost. Hmm, you've given me some research to do!
No need for a bidet. Just fill up any old shampoo kind of bottle with warm water and spray away!
Ummm ... no thanks. But I do love my BioBidet toilet seat. I now know what people mean when they say as Americans we don’t know what we’re missing by shunning bidets.

ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:26 pm

Old Guy wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:46 am
I’m 77. I have no intention of living my remaining years in a frugal manner.
Here, here. I am 56 and will ramp up the spending when daughter's tuition payments stop in May of 2022. :sharebeer

camillus

Post by camillus » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:17 pm

Already had a bidet :D

Also, a year ago I bought a good amount of lifting equipment. I work out in my garage early in the morning before my young kids wake up. I do dips between sawhorses and feel pretty badass. Also deadlifts, squats, overhead press, floor press instead of bench press to avoid dying in my garage (I've already self-rescued).

My fitness club is $80 a month for the family and run by the Salvation Army. I really, really miss it. I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old and they get free 2 hours of childcare a day there. I miss seeing my neighbors there. I can't wait to get back. I am currently donating my dues, which they refunded, to the Salvation Army in my county.

On groceries, we bumped our tip WAY up, so not a lot of saving there.

oldfort

Post by oldfort » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:15 pm

Eating out less and cooking at home more.

mancich

Post by mancich » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:21 am

VanGogh wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:01 pm
Because of the paper product shortages, I placed a small cloth towel near the paper towel holder. Using the cloth towel whenever possible has made a huge difference in the need to purchase paper towels.

I won't buy a plane ticket until there's a proven vaccine.
+1 on the savings on paper towels, but I would take it further. We've been a big fan of microfiber clothes for years, and have a basket of about 25 of them under our kitchen sink, and another 25 upstairs. Great for dusting, and also using on the kitchen counter, stove, and refrigerator, with spray. If it is something nasty on the counter like raw meat juice, we use paper towels. And the microfibers can be used over and over by throwing them in the washer and dryer; we've had the current batch for a couple of years. Just don't use liquid fabric softener with them in the wash. :beer

winterfan

Post by winterfan » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:29 am

mw1739 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:05 pm
Started shopping at Aldi since it’s less crowded than the other options and the pickup options are usually 1+ week out at our usual store. Enjoying the quality of food and the lower prices. I would guess I’m saving at least $20 a week if not closer to $50.
Interesting! I like shopping there, but I've avoided it since I thought it would be crowded. It usually is! Maybe I'll give it another try.

Rob54keep

Post by Rob54keep » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:33 am

I got a treadmill. I still will go to my local gym but it is nice having an alternative at times. Also now doing the post office online and having them pickup packages from my front door. No need to go to the post office.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:56 am

Not so much frugal (not ‘not frugal’ either I suppose) as a new quarantine habit. We’ve got friends scattered all over the country and have started doing “Zoom Happy Hours.” A nice way to keep in touch with folks far away. I’ve seen faces I haven’t seen in years.
“There is no problem so bad you can’t make it worse.” - Chris Hatfield, Astronaut mantra

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:31 am

makingmistakes wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:19 pm
knightrider wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:14 pm
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:45 pm
I've heard bidet sales are way up, but I suspect it will be a while before the saving on toilet paper offsets the bidet cost. Hmm, you've given me some research to do!
No need for a bidet. Just fill up any old shampoo kind of bottle with warm water and spray away!
Ummm ... no thanks. But I do love my BioBidet toilet seat. I now know what people mean when they say as Americans we don’t know what we’re missing by shunning bidets.
My wife and son took a trip to Japan. It turned out to be an expensive trip because when they came home they wanted Toto washlet toilets in the house. The TP we had in the house will turn out to be a lifetime supply.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Stef

Post by Stef » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:38 am

oldfort wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:15 pm
Eating out less and cooking at home more.
This. I cook my lunch for work everyday (or every other day when preparing for 2 days).

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:24 am

There's a good chance I'll transition to permanently working from home, which will save a bundle on after school care. They kids are pretty happy about it too.

I've rediscovered cooking and found some awesome recipes. I doubt I'll ever eat out as much again.

swordandscales

Post by swordandscales » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:18 am

Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:57 am
Like it or not, the pandemic and quarantine have forced frugal habits on all of us. According to the National Bureau of Economic Research, overall consumer spending is down over 50%.

On the bright side, some of these frugal habits will be worth keeping after returning to business as usual.

The biggest one for me has been creating a home gym rather than buying a monthly gym membership. I spent a total of $360 to get adjustable dumbbells that go up to 100 pounds each, a bench, foam exercise floor mats, and Olympic rings with straps. I can do bench press, squats, curls, pull-ups, dips, and just about any other exercise I want. As an added perk, I don’t have to wait around for the bench to free up, standing awkwardly close to ensure people know I’m next in line.

Assuming this setup lasts me 5 years, I will save about $800 a year. I also assembled some more frugal habits that combine to make an $11,000 difference each year.

What are your newly developed frugal habits you plan to keep?
What gear did you get? How’s it working out? At $360 I might try the same. My space is ultra limited though.
Discipline is freedom. | -Jocko Willink

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:48 am

I used to go to the grocery store as needed, now I go once a week and am more deliberate about what I buy. I’ll keep that up.

Used to buy clothes a lot, now I realize I have more than enough. I’ll skip shopping for clothes.

Used to eat out regularly, now making nicer dinners at home. Probably keep that up.

Used to go to the gym religiously. I will probably go back, but I’m enjoying the bike riding I’m doing instead.

Not really a frugality issue, but I’m basically homeschooling my youngest kid. Will stop that even though we are having a good time of it.

I’m starting to really miss going out for breakfast, so I’m not quitting that!

brandy

Post by brandy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:29 pm

Rob54keep wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:33 am
Also now doing the post office online and having them pickup packages from my front door. No need to go to the post office.
How do you pay for it? Where do you get the postage? Do you attach a check?

brandy

Post by brandy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:46 pm

I've always lived pretty frugally (and isolated due to MCS/EI) , but still made this little change: Got the cloth kitchen towels from storage to use instead of so many paper towels--started the paper towels when I joined Costco several years ago.
I managed to reduce (a little) TP and kleenex use. Only a drop in the bucket... :beer

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:50 pm

None. Already frugal to begin with, almost too frugal.

Snuffycuts99

Post by Snuffycuts99 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:59 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:21 am
We have very few reoccurring “optional” expenses:

YouTube TV: $49.99/mo
Cell Service for two with Verizon: $75.00/mo (I just ordered Mint Mobile sims so this will go down to $35/month or so)
Hulu: $1.99/mo (1 year promo, will cancel at end of year)
Verizon Fios: $52.xx/mo — already have the cheapest option in my market
iCloud 50gb plan for two phones: $1.98/mo
Lottery tickets: ~$10/wk
Amazon Prime: $119/yr
PlayStation Network: ~$59/yr

My wife does Zoomba classes which she spends $5 per class on. Those have continued and are being done via Zoom.

Starbucks by me has closed, so no more $5 nitro cold brew coffees, but that has been replaced with Stok Cold Brew from the supermarket which is $5/1.5 quarts. I will keep doing this. I can never make iced coffee as good as these—and I have tried many times!
Amazon Prime members get unlimited photo and video storage with Amazon Photos. Do you still need the iCloud plan or could you save $1.98 a month?

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:09 pm

I used to be terrible at meal planning. I made near-daily stops at grocery store, which often meant I grabbed something premade. Worse, the most convenient grocery store for me is Whole Foods as it's on my walk home from work. :oops:

That adds up fast.

Now I'm only going to the grocery store every 2-3 weeks, so I'm actually planning meals and making the drive down to King Soopers instead of walking to WF. I'm not buying premade items so that right there saves a fortune. Fortunately I'm a pretty good cook I just get lazy on weekdays. Now I'm being more intentional. Eg, last weekend I made my own flour tortillas, carnitas and guacamole. I had tacos for days and it was pretty inexpensive, plus the Instant Pot made it a snap to cook up four pounds of carnitas in under an hour.

This weekend will be a big batch of chili and fresh cornbread.

Hopefully I keep up this habit once things get back to normal.

sandan

Post by sandan » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:18 pm

fareastwarriors wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:50 pm
ditto. almost no change in expenditure, other than a home haircut.

Now that I'm cutting my own hair, I do it twice a month instead of once every 4 weeks at supercuts. I will be keeping that habit.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:33 pm

Snuffycuts99 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:59 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:21 am
We have very few reoccurring “optional” expenses:

YouTube TV: $49.99/mo
Cell Service for two with Verizon: $75.00/mo (I just ordered Mint Mobile sims so this will go down to $35/month or so)
Hulu: $1.99/mo (1 year promo, will cancel at end of year)
Verizon Fios: $52.xx/mo — already have the cheapest option in my market
iCloud 50gb plan for two phones: $1.98/mo
Lottery tickets: ~$10/wk
Amazon Prime: $119/yr
PlayStation Network: ~$59/yr

My wife does Zoomba classes which she spends $5 per class on. Those have continued and are being done via Zoom.

Starbucks by me has closed, so no more $5 nitro cold brew coffees, but that has been replaced with Stok Cold Brew from the supermarket which is $5/1.5 quarts. I will keep doing this. I can never make iced coffee as good as these—and I have tried many times!
Amazon Prime members get unlimited photo and video storage with Amazon Photos. Do you still need the iCloud plan or could you save $1.98 a month?
Honestly—we pay the $2 so we don’t get the “your iCloud storage is full” message. Apple actually succeeded in annoying me out of $24/yr.

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:56 pm

I don't think my spending has really changed all that much. I guess the only real savings I am getting is that all my vacations and trips have been cancelled; so that's a bunch of hotel bills and car rentals I won't be paying.

We're trying to abide by the quarantine guidelines. So there is a *lot* of amazon shopping going on at the house.

Primenesia: When you order so much Amazon Prime that you don't remember what is in the box.

yosemite_mountain

Post by yosemite_mountain » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:30 am

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:12 am
I hope my wife keeps up the ceasing of clothes buying...

We were already extremely frugal with our eating habits, but they've changed a bit with a focus on eating non-perishables. We were averaging ~$300/month for groceries for a family of 4, I spent $350 at the store almost exactly a month ago and we definitely can go a few more weeks. We're eating a lot of oatmeal (bought 25lbs. of groats), (dry) beans, and cans of tuna. We used to go through ~10lbs. of chicken breasts a week and that's about what we've gone through in a month. If anything, going from meat to cans makes it easier to monitor portions. Also, I was eating 2+lbs. of broccoli/cauliflower/green beans and another pound of leafy greens myself, per day, and I have dramatically cut that back because we don't have room to store huge amounts of frozen or fresh produce. When this is all done, we'll probably continue some of these habits. Going to the store once a month saves us time and money.
$300/month for groceries for a family of 4? How is this possible?

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:39 pm

Lalamimi wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:22 pm
7eight9 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:59 am
Started shopping more at Walmart Neighborhood Market. Discovered Oak Leaf wine @ $2.50/bottle. It tastes just as good as Trader Joe's Charles Shaw (Two-Buck Chuck which is actually $2.99). I can't see any reason why we wouldn't keep buying it.
White or red or does it matter? I prefer the red Two-Buck over white. Darn, already did my Walmart pick up. Have to settle for the $5.99 Grineti from Aldi they were out of the $2.99 Wink.
Thanks 7eight9! Best idea I got from this thread :beer Will have to look into this. We pay $8-10/bottle for DH's favorite red blend now - gonna convince him to try the cheaper stuff during the week and save the better bottles for weekend splurges. Even with the two of us enjoying just 1-1.5 glasses of wine each evening, it really adds up.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:47 pm

yosemite_mountain wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:30 am
stoptothink wrote:

We were already extremely frugal with our eating habits, but they've changed a bit with a focus on eating non-perishables. We were averaging ~$300/month for groceries for a family of 4, I spent $350 at the store almost exactly a month ago and we definitely can go a few more weeks. We're eating a lot of oatmeal (bought 25lbs. of groats), (dry) beans, and cans of tuna. We used to go through ~10lbs. of chicken breasts a week and that's about what we've gone through in a month. If anything, going from meat to cans makes it easier to monitor portions. Also, I was eating 2+lbs. of broccoli/cauliflower/green beans and another pound of leafy greens myself, per day, and I have dramatically cut that back because we don't have room to store huge amounts of frozen or fresh produce. When this is all done, we'll probably continue some of these habits. Going to the store once a month saves us time and money.
Read the types of items he is buying. Dry and canned goods can be bought in big bulk and are super cheap from the right stores- great to feed families. Unfortunately, we spend more than that in a couple of weeks - just the two of us - but we buy very few canned goods or dry stuff like pastas, cereals, breads, pototoes, rice. Other than oatmeal, it's 80-90% fresh spinich/other greens/veggies, greek yogurt, lean meats, salmon and ahi tuna filets. If I had a entire family to feed, I'd definitely be shopping differently. (Our enjoyment of wine doesn't help our grocery economics either :oops: )
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:56 pm

Normchad wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:56 pm
Primenesia: When you order so much Amazon Prime that you don't remember what is in the box.
haha...i love this

manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:25 pm

Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:00 am
supalong52 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:13 am
We also did a home gym, but got everything from Rogue, which was a little more than $360. Consider it a prepayment of a few years' of gym dues.

We also got hair clippers so will probably get haircuts at home from now on.
I also got hair clippers for the first time (managed to snag them on Ebay before they sold out). Previously, I was spending $20 per month to go to Great Clips. While not terribly expensive, it seems I can get the same haircut at home with a $30 set that I expect to last at least 3 years.

That's $230 in annual savings, and it only came with a few expletives from DW as I was giving her detailed instructions on how to cut it :happy
I like my hair cutter girl and gladly pay $20 month to give her business I always give her a big tip because I can afford it.

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:02 pm

manatee2005 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:25 pm
supalong52 wrote:
We also did a home gym, but got everything from Rogue, which was a little more than $360. Consider it a prepayment of a few years' of gym dues.

I also got hair clippers for the first time (managed to snag them on Ebay before they sold out). Previously, I was spending $20 per month to go to Great Clips. While not terribly expensive, it seems I can get the same haircut at home with a $30 set that I expect to last at least 3 years.

That's $230 in annual savings, and it only came with a few expletives from DW as I was giving her detailed instructions on how to cut it :happy
I like my hair cutter girl and gladly pay $20 month to give her business I always give her a big tip because I can afford it.
I would 100% do this right now, if I could. I know a lot of people are hurting financially, and I’d bend over backwards to help out where I can.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:32 pm

took time and researched
1. cell phone companies. Switched from AT&T ( 2 phones small data plan) $96 mon to Consumer Cellular $22 (special price for 5 months, then $42)
2. Electric company - switched from Reliant 12.5 cents to Pulse Power 10 cents - waiting on first full bill, but 19 day bill is $42. Partial Reliant bill was $65.
3. Dog's medication for Cushings. Brystol Meyers quit making it last year, managed to get 8 months of it from Walmart for about $6 a pill. Searched, found out they sold to new company and their connection pharmacy wants $11 a pill. Found a compounding pharmacy here in town who is working with our vet to buy in bulk. Hoping he is able to do this, for about $6 a pill ( he takes 750 mg every 6 days). Alternative is a daily pill for $100 a month.
4. Discovered we can live without going to Costco weekly. Last went in Feb, the day before panic buying hit. Our membership expired end of Feb. Might not renew (except we have a $59 cash back certificate we did not get to use).

manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:39 pm

Normchad wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:02 pm
manatee2005 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:25 pm
supalong52 wrote:

I would 100% do this right now, if I could. I know a lot of people are hurting financially, and I’d bend over backwards to help out where I can.
Same with my dental cleaning girl. She took my gums from 7mm pockets to 3mm pockets. I already setup an appt in May if they are allowed to open. I can’t tip her but they charge a lot more than hair cutting place so just going there is enough.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:31 pm

BogleFanGal wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:47 pm
yosemite_mountain wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:30 am
stoptothink wrote:

Read the types of items he is buying. Dry and canned goods can be bought in big bulk and are super cheap from the right stores- great to feed families. Unfortunately, we spend more than that in a couple of weeks - just the two of us - but we buy very few canned goods or dry stuff like pastas, cereals, breads, pototoes, rice. Other than oatmeal, it's 80-90% fresh spinich/other greens/veggies, greek yogurt, lean meats, salmon and ahi tuna filets. If I had a entire family to feed, I'd definitely be shopping differently. (Our enjoyment of wine doesn't help our grocery economics either :oops: )
I've detailed how we keep our food costs so low countless times on this board. You summed it up, we eat the same things over and over and over again, every day. We don't cook "meals" and eating out isn't a thing in our home (wife may do it once a month with friends, I haven't in a few years). When you buy 50lbs. of chicken breasts (when ~$1.50lb), 25lbs of oats and beans (both at like $.55/lb), 5 dozen eggs for $3.50 (ATM they are almost 3x that), frozen vegetables at ~$1lb., 5lbs of spinach for #3, etc. you can eat much cheaper than the "normal" family. Just normal for us, but the huge majority of people are not willing to eat like that.

jdb

Post by jdb » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:04 pm

Miss my twice a month afternoon get togethers at my place with a few friends where we would drink good wines and eat burgers and smoke a cigar. But since have stopped going to Costco to buy wine and not interested in online wine purchases, but still like to sip a decent wine with dinner, now have been slowly reducing the number of wine bottles in my house coolers. Finding and drinking old wines I had forgotten about. And saving lots of money not buying new bottles. May keep this up after quarantine until use up most bottles in my collection. Will save a few for friends. Good luck.

jdb

Post by jdb » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:04 pm

Duplicate post.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:57 pm

Old Guy wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:46 am
I’m 77. I have no intention of living my remaining years in a frugal manner.
Love it!
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:39 am

There aren't really any that I'll keep. We didn't eat out a lot before. We will continue to travel when it is safe. We are saving some money because much of retail is closed. However, I think we are spending much more on groceries. The reasons being 1) less likely to shop around at different stores given the risks and 2) easier to justify things we normally wouldn't buy (at least not on sale) because we are locked down and much of the rest of our life is being limited.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:16 am

brandy wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:29 pm
Rob54keep wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:33 am
Also now doing the post office online and having them pickup packages from my front door. No need to go to the post office.
How do you pay for it? Where do you get the postage? Do you attach a check?
USPS online is AMAZING. I discovered it a few Christmas's ago - never needed to go to PO, ever.
1. USPS ships for free basic boxes/mailers/etc. You also can reuse Amazon boxes and material.
2. You make an online account/give credit card info.
3. With scale & measuirng tape you enter package dimensions
4. Pay online, print out the postage and tape to your package.
5. Also online arrange pickup during your regular mail drop-off (specify front door/mailbox location/etc).

Makes selling on EBay a cinch also. Now I just go to UPS store/Amazon lockers for returns - wish Amazon would use USPS!

I do recommend a packing tape gun - makes sealing box with shipping label/postage a lot easier.
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Packing-Dispe ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:16 am

Sources of savings during quarantine:

1. Travel ($$$) - I won't be doing any travel until I have been vaccinated. That might be a long while.

2. Dining Out ($$) - Even when the bars and restaurants reopen, I will probably stay away for a few months while I assess the situation.

3. Personal Training ($$$) - I really miss my twice a week sessions with my personal trainer, but gyms scare me right now. My trainer is open to training outdoors in a park, so we may do that once it is legal again in my city. (By the way, most home gym equipment is sold out online these days.)

4. Therapeutic Massage ($$) - My muscles need this, and I may go back once it is legal again in my city.

5. Haircut ($) - I really, really need a haircut, so I will go to my barbershop as soon as it reopens. I live alone, so there is no significant other to cut my hair at home, and most hair clippers are sold out online anyway.

6. New Car ($$$$) - I had been planning to buy a new car this spring. I'll wait at least until the fall.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:01 pm

fareastwarriors wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:50 pm
Same here. This crisis is a reminder that tomorrow is not promised. I need to live a little more and possibly spend a little more. I'm saving/investing for early retirement but probably shouldn't put off so many activities and purchases for the unknown future.