Device for men's haircuts

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
crazychris

Device for men's haircuts

Post by crazychris »

Hi,
Due to the lockdown my wife started cutting my hair and I was really happy with the results. She used just a scissors and comb, but it seems like investing in a grooming device would make her job a lot easier. I even saw a description of one here (https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/05 ... ng-device/) but am unable to find the actual details of the product.

Could you folks who do DIY haircuts share your product details? Linking to Amazon or other online merchant would be awesome.

Thanks very much,
crazychris
Turbo29

Re: Device for men's haircuts

Post by Turbo29 »

There is already a long haircut thread. Your question may have been answered.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=310726&newpost=518 ... ead#unread
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

It's just clippers. You can normally find them anywhere. Right now, nowhere.
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

I've had my Wahl clippers for 10yr. Somebody posted in the other thread that they are still available on Ebay. I just checked and they are.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Most clippers come with a large array of guards. Usually in 1/8 inch increments, sometimes mm increments.

I use a #2 all over. Then the R/L ear trimmers, then #1 on the sideburns and bottom/back part. Done this for ~15 years.

Sometimes I do a #3 and #2 if I want it a bit longer. Note, this is a short haircut. Using the 7,8,9 guards would be much longer.

It isn't a Flo-bee, but the Wahl (or other) with guards works great.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

https://www.flowbee.com/ :beer

Note - I have never actually tried out this product, but it looks intriguing.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Does anyone besides Wahl sell kits with the longer guards? I haven't found anything else with a #8 guard, and anything smaller than that is way too short for me.
Momus

Post by Momus »

Wahl kit for $20 + YouTube. I haven't gone to a barber for like 10 yrs...
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Agree on the Wahl kit, I use the purple guard. All one length, so much easier.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

mak1277 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:12 pm Does anyone besides Wahl sell kits with the longer guards? I haven't found anything else with a #8 guard, and anything smaller than that is way too short for me.
Every one I've ever bought had up to an 8 in it. I use an 8 so would not have considered buying anything without. Before I bought my Wahl, I used whatever cheapo one in Wal Mart was cheapest. Bad move. I've probably had half a dozen of the cheap ones that work like garbage after only a few uses. The Wahl was maybe 50% more expensive and has lasted far longer, is like new and performed better than the cheapo garbage I was using.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
squirm

Post by squirm »

my kids cut my hair for years. easy. take out clippers, snap on guard start cutting. us guys are lucky at least i am, cuz i don't care what my hair looks like, though kids do a good job. then i cut their hair. paying to get hair cut is so yesteryear.
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

Get a decent pair of clippers. I have not paid for a haircut since 2002...
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

squirm wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:59 pm my kids cut my hair for years. easy. take out clippers, snap on guard start cutting. us guys are lucky at least i am, cuz i don't care what my hair looks like, though kids do a good job. then i cut their hair. paying to get hair cut is so yesteryear.
exactly!!! :sharebeer
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

mak1277 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:12 pm Does anyone besides Wahl sell kits with the longer guards? I haven't found anything else with a #8 guard, and anything smaller than that is way too short for me.
The Conair clipper we got last week goes to #8.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

smitcat wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:52 pm
Where from, if I may ask?
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

mak1277 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:59 pm
smitcat wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:52 pm
Where from, if I may ask?
ebay - it was in a 21 piece kit Model #HC1800GD
I am sure many other versions are very similar.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Can you use your beard trimmer (like a typical Norelco) for your hair?
shelanman

Post by shelanman »

I only really use it as an absurdly-overpowered beard trimmer, but my Oster Classic 76 is the best clipper I've ever had.

I bought it because I was tired of lousy underpowered clippers and plastic combs, and decided that if every barber I've ever been to in my whole life all used the same one, it'd probably be fine for just one person.

It's SO GREAT.

It's also more expensive -- $100 for the device, and about $20 for each blade -- because there are no combs, you get a different blade for each size you want.

But, it cuts so cleanly and evenly, and has no trouble with my very coarse beard and never jams up or pulls or anything.
Stinger72

Post by Stinger72 »

Momus wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:14 pm Wahl kit for $20 + YouTube. I haven't gone to a barber for like 10 yrs...
Yep. Desperation led me to try it myself during COVID, and I'm now on haircut #4. They come out better than when I went to the barber, and the youtube videos helped me understand how to do it. I typically start with the longer blades 5/6, and then go 2/3 on sides and back, and keep 5 on top, with 6 towards the front. Don't even use a mirror to do the back and it's been perfect. I will never go to the barber again.
IMO

Post by IMO »

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

rgs92 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:09 pm Can you use your beard trimmer (like a typical Norelco) for your hair?
With the beard trimmer & hair clippers that I own (both Remington) the main drawbacks would be that the beard trimmer is narrower than the hair clippers (so it would take more passes with the beard trimmer), and that the beard trimmer doesn't have the angled combs for around your ears.

A couple other differences I notice: The beard trimmer, despite being only about 2/3 the width of the clippers, actually has more teeth than the clippers. So the teeth are much closer together on the beard trimmer than on the hair clippers; I'm not sure what effect that would have on the cut. And the clippers have a maximum depth of 1", which the beard trimmer can't match.
The Broz

Post by The Broz »

When we moved to a HCOL area in 2016, I wanted to cut costs where I reasonably could. I got whatever clippers that Costco was selling at the time, and just tried to do my best. I figured I am married. Who the hell am I trying to impress? I have probably saved a few hundred dollars by now. Money that I would rather spend elsewhere.
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

I use a Wahl trimmer. I’ve been doing it for about 15 years now. With the trimmer, I do it every 15 days. I also shave my beard and hairline on my neck so that it looks better. Hair grows about six inches per year, a half inch per month, or a quarter inch every two weeks. After I’m done it looks great and I feel great. There is nothing that beats a fresh haircut and shave. When I used to go to a barber, they didn’t shave my beard or the back of my neck so that it looked half done. I’ll never go to a barber again. A trimmer really saves on time not so much the cost. It only cost $20 around here to get a haircut. I laugh when I see a haircut cost significantly more than $20. I guess if you were doing it every two weeks that could really add up.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

crazychris wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:51 am Hi,
Due to the lockdown my wife started cutting my hair and I was really happy with the results. She used just a scissors and comb, but it seems like investing in a grooming device would make her job a lot easier. I even saw a description of one here (https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/05 ... ng-device/) but am unable to find the actual details of the product.

Could you folks who do DIY haircuts share your product details? Linking to Amazon or other online merchant would be awesome.

Thanks very much,
crazychris
The Flowbee? https://www.flowbee.com
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
sixty40

Post by sixty40 »

abuss368 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:20 pm

Thanks very much,
crazychris
I may get shamed for saying this but I have used the Flowbee since the mid 90's when my first child was born. I wanted to use it to save time and money just until he got older. Lo-and-behold both him and I have been using the Flowbee ever since. You still need to use a trimmer for the ends and other things but it has saved us both time and money. My younger son also uses it for now. I am currently on my 2nd one so they last quite a few years.

If you are just going to cut your hair short, then Flowbee is the way to go. If you don't use any attachments, it can provide a pretty tight cut. Using it for long hair and just trimming is much harder and takes some skill.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

sixty40 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:58 pm
abuss368 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:20 pm

Thanks very much,
crazychris
I may get shamed for saying this but I have used the Flowbee since the mid 90's when my first child was born. I wanted to use it to save time and money just until he got older. Lo-and-behold both him and I have been using the Flowbee ever since. You still need to use a trimmer for the ends and other things but it has saved us both time and money. My younger son also uses it for now. I am currently on my 2nd one so they last quite a few years.

If you are just going to cut your hair short, then Flowbee is the way to go. If you don't use any attachments, it can provide a pretty tight cut. Using it for long hair and just trimming is much harder and takes some skill.
:sharebeer
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
batpot

Post by batpot »

Just a little off the top, don't buzz me man!
It's sucking my will to live!
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

DW schooled at Vidal Sassoon in England......
Haircuts cost a fortune.
Worth every penny!!!!❤️❤️

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
fundseeker

Post by fundseeker »

So, I hate getting haircuts because it's none of their business what my name or phone or line of work is, and then I have to do fine tuning after I get home. I'd like to do it myself, but I figure the hair makes a big mess for me to clean up.

Would someone share how they clean up their cut hair? Thanks!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

fundseeker wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:18 pmWould someone share how they clean up their cut hair? Thanks!
With a broom. Haven't paid for a haircut in nearly 25 years, never thought of this as a significant hassle.
CZjc1330

Post by CZjc1330 »

Have been cutting my hair since 1957. I am 85 yrs old. I trim every Saturday. One secret is not to cut too much. If in a few days it seems too long, you can trim again. Follow the contour of your skull. Slip your figures over your skull., trim hair the shoots up between your fingers.
I use a simple hair cutting scissor, about $10; they last forever, have had two since 1957. The first was fine after decades of weekly use, but was lost in a move. Have been given two electric gizmos; prefer to snip myself.
I started because I couldn't stand wasting time in a barbershop. Wait to be served, wait forever as barber blathers on and on.
Happy after 63 yrs of self-service. Saved a pretty penny as well.
CABob

Post by CABob »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:34 pm
fundseeker wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:18 pmWould someone share how they clean up their cut hair? Thanks!
With a broom. Haven't paid for a haircut in nearly 25 years, never thought of this as a significant hassle.
I usually have mine cut outside on the patio and the hair goes wherever the wind blows.
Bob
sandys

Post by sandys »

I do haircuts for my husband and 2 sons. Agree that going out to the patio is the best! We sweep up most of it, but what blows away provides soft nesting materials for birds, mice, etc.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

fundseeker wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:18 pm So, I hate getting haircuts because it's none of their business what my name or phone or line of work is, and then I have to do fine tuning after I get home. I'd like to do it myself, but I figure the hair makes a big mess for me to clean up.

Nice Weather: On the deck. No cleanup.
Mediocre Weather: Throw an old sheet on the floor. Shake it out over the deck. Throw it in the wash.
Bad Weather: In the kitchen. Clean up with a broom.
retiredbuthappy

Post by retiredbuthappy »

Hi
My husband groomed, trimmed our Westie a month ago.
I cut his hair yesterday. He watched videos and thought....bought a device by Norelco.
Used camera on laptop and device to look at back. It went well within an hour. He'd not had a haircut for 4 months. Remarkable to be able to do this adequately.
Guess the Westie was watching us...what was he thinking?
RbH
Chip Munk

Post by Chip Munk »

fundseeker wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:18 pm So, I hate getting haircuts because it's none of their business what my name or phone or line of work is, and then I have to do fine tuning after I get home. I'd like to do it myself, but I figure the hair makes a big mess for me to clean up.

I use a Flowbee so the hair is sucked into the vacuum cleaner as it cuts. That is one of the reasons why I bought it -- it cuts the hair without leaving a mess behind.

After using the Flowbee, I use a trimmer to clean up the back of the neck. If I'm cutting DH's hair, since I already have the vacuum cleaner right there, I hold the end of the vacuum hose in my left hand and the trimmer in my right as I work my way across his neckline. When I'm cutting my own hair, (I have a short pixie cut, so I need to clean up the neckline area a bit) I stand with my back to the sink and lean back a little so the hair falls into the sink or on the vanity, then I vacuum up the hair from those areas and the bathroom floor. There is very little hair, so it just takes a few minutes to vacuum it up.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

I asked up above in the thread about using my regular beard trimmer to neaten things up. So I tried it (my Norelco) and just plowed through all the overgrown stuff covering my ears and some that was falling into my eyes on my forehead and my temples. And this basically succeeded for me.

It's a little messy still on the back of my neck, but I don't really care.
My main goal was to get that fresh cleaned up feeling I get from a regular haircut, and this worked.

And there is still a decent amount of hair on the top of my head, but I figure this is good to protect this area from the sun when I go walking for exercise.

Thanks for all the earlier advice I received here.
DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath »

With the summer heat and humidity, I decided I couldn't take it anymore. It was either deal with the hassle of getting a haircut or taking the plunge. After some research, I found this: Remington Indestructible Corded Electric Hair Clippers and Trimmer - HC5850

Lots of the units I looked at got mixed reviews and/or were prohibitively expensive. This one gets good reviews and is less than $50. It should come this week and it'll hopefully do the trick.

If not, well, I have a month before I have to go back to work in-person so that should give me a chance to grow it out again.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I bought a Remington Precision Haircut perhaps 10 years ago and my 45 year old son uses it, does not go to a barber. He gave me a haircut 2 weeks ago, and I like the result. It costs less than I paid my barber every month.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Remington-Li ... /164464324
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

After no hair cut over 4 months, I finally bought a Wahl® Home Pro 22-Piece Haircutting Kit. I have not yet tried it. Many other Wahl hair clippers are still out of stock.
egrets

Post by egrets »

I spread paper towels over the bathroom sink and its surround and let the hair fall there, then I bundle the paper towels and hair up and they go into the trash. After I've cut my hair and before I bundle up the paper, I use a lint roller to get the small hairs off my skin.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

egrets wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:25 pm

I spread paper towels over the bathroom sink and its surround and let the hair fall there, then I bundle the paper towels and hair up and they go into the trash. After I've cut my hair and before I bundle up the paper, I use a lint roller to get the small hairs off my skin.
Doesn't it make a less mess if you sit inside a bath tub almost naked while having a hair cut?
JPM

Post by JPM »

Last time I tried to get a haircut locally, one of the places I used to go to never reopened after the Covid shutdown and the other would only take reservations on their phone app and no walk-ins. I prefer places that take walk-ins as I usually have little control over my time due to frequent unscheduled work and domestic obligations. DW got us a Surker on Amazon and she cuts mine and I cut hers. So far so good. Every haircut I give DW saves double the price of the clipper. Learned how on YouTube.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Katietsu wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:01 pm

Nice Weather: On the deck. No cleanup.
Mediocre Weather: Throw an old sheet on the floor. Shake it out over the deck. Throw it in the wash.
Bad Weather: In the kitchen. Clean up with a broom.
All three - Sit in a chair, hair cut, vacuum floor.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

I bought a Wahl clipper set from Costco earlier this year, which includes a #8 guard.

Unfortunately it is now out of stock, however you might want to check on availability periodically

https://www.costco.com/wahl-deluxe-hair ... 41517.html
Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit »

Just bought a Wahl (Elite pro). It's about $30 ...I Love it! My daughter or wife cuts it, looks great. I feel bad for my barber who charged me $25 a pop and a tip to the hair washer. (For the record #1 on sides ,faded to a #2 then a #6 on top). I feel like a kid again! Everyone seems to like it. Save a bundle of $ too!
Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit »

Wanted to add...Very hard to find now. Finally Target got a few.
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

A lot depends on what kind of Man's haircut you are talking about. If you want a short Buzz Cut, a pair of clippers with a few guards are all you need. If you want a longer layered look, scissors and a trimmer for the outline at the neck and ears will work. I personally shave my head with the Remington Shortcut Pro, but I do it without a guard because I like it as short as I can get it. This small clipper is great for Buzz cuts and easy to do it yourself. It fits in the palm of your hand and very easy to work with because it is cordless. I shave my head once a week with this and it takes about 5 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/Shortcut-Self-Ha ... 145&sr=8-2
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

I've used the same Flowbee since November 1998 which I bought for $50. It has done 207 cuts as of the last one about a week ago and the only thing I've replaced is the rubber tube that connects it with the vacuum. We have a whole house vacuum making it very easy to setup and which also makes for easy clean up afterwards. The only maintenance I do on it is to spread a little 3n1 oil on the blades and run it 10 seconds after I've done.

On haircut day I also use an inexpensive beard/hair trimmer I bought on Amazon to trim around ears, sideburns, and the back of my neck. My recommendation for getting the best cuts would be to also buy a nice handheld mirror to supplement a wall mounted mirror.

If you like short men's haircuts and your hair is reasonably straight a Flowbee works great. However, I've loaned mine to a friend with curlier hair and it didn't work for him. I also tried it on my cock-a-poos using a dog trim attachment I bought on ebay but it also wasn't a good tool for their curly hair.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

bloom2708 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:05 pm Most clippers come with a large array of guards. Usually in 1/8 inch increments, sometimes mm increments.

I use a #2 all over. Then the R/L ear trimmers, then #1 on the sideburns and bottom/back part. Done this for ~15 years.

Sometimes I do a #3 and #2 if I want it a bit longer. Note, this is a short haircut. Using the 7,8,9 guards would be much longer.

It isn't a Flo-bee, but the Wahl (or other) with guards works great.
Exact same. #2 all over, etc. Doing this since age 19. First one at the vet's office my friend used to work at. 40+ years later, still the same.