How to get Disinfectant Spray? seriously.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jrbdmb

How to get Disinfectant Spray? seriously.

Post by jrbdmb »

I can't find any disinfectant spray (Lysol or store brands) locally or on the major online shopping options (Amazon, WalMart, etc). Seems like a good time to start a thread on where to look. Thanks.
whodidntante

Re: How to get Disinfectant Spray? seriously.

Post by whodidntante »

The most immediate way is to head to your grocery store or wherever you get booze in your state and buy a bottle of pure ethanol. Not liquor, ethanol. You can probably score that tonight. Pour that on a microfiber cloth and wipe stuff down that needs to be sanitized.

Continuing the path of better living through chemistry, you can easily find quaternary ammonium/dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride tablets to make homemade Lysol, because no one knows what it is. It's extremely effective at killing pathogens. One bottle will meet your sanitizing needs for your entire life. Follow the directions exactly and be careful with it.
Last edited by whodidntante on Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

If you can get your hands on some isopropyl alcohol, that'll do the trick. Just make sure the concentration isn't above 70% or it evaporates too fast to do the job.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

jrbdmb wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:06 pm I can't find any disinfectant spray (Lysol or store brands) locally or on the major online shopping options (Amazon, WalMart, etc). Seems like a good time to start a thread on where to look. Thanks.
Unless maybe you are immunocomprimized you dont need disinfectant spray. Its all marketing. If someone has data showing using lysol wipes in addition to normal food safety and cleanliness practices in the home leads to healthier lives im all ears.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Buy a small spray bottle and make your own using bleach.
https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/covid-19- ... ith-bleach
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

HawkeyePierce wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:18 pm If you can get your hands on some isopropyl alcohol, that'll do the trick. Just make sure the concentration isn't above 70% or it evaporates too fast to do the job.
Haven't been able to get more of this in a few weeks, no matter which store.
At least we got a few small bottles right at the start.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
muddgirl

Post by muddgirl »

Some stores are keeping disinfectant products behind the customer service counter. I would ask there first.

Barring that, if you don't mind paying a premium you can find marked up disinfectant products in the baby supplies section.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

mhalley wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:33 pm Buy a small spray bottle and make your own using bleach.
+1

Bleach has been in plentiful supply around here when hand sanitizer and toiler paper are still nowhere to be found.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

muddgirl wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:37 pm Some stores are keeping disinfectant products behind the customer service counter. I would ask there first.

Barring that, if you don't mind paying a premium you can find marked up disinfectant products in the baby supplies section.
Thanks. Worth a try!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
percy

Post by percy »

HawkeyePierce wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:18 pm If you can get your hands on some isopropyl alcohol, that'll do the trick. Just make sure the concentration isn't above 70% or it evaporates too fast to do the job.
Also make sure it's not below 70%:
Alcohol solutions with at least 70 percent alcohol are effective against the coronavirus on hard surfaces.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cleanin ... ronavirus/
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

whodidntante wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:16 pm Continuing the path of better living through chemistry, you can easily find quaternary ammonium/dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride tablets to make homemade Lysol, because no one knows what it is.
Bottles of 150 Steramine tablets on Amazon for $11. That’s your (literal) lifetime supply. :beer
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

whodidntante wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:16 pm The most immediate way is to head to your grocery store or wherever you get booze in your state and buy a bottle of pure ethanol. Not liquor, ethanol. You can probably score that tonight. Pour that on a microfiber cloth and wipe stuff down that needs to be sanitized.

Continuing the path of better living through chemistry, you can easily find quaternary ammonium/dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride tablets to make homemade Lysol, because no one knows what it is. It's extremely effective at killing pathogens. One bottle will meet your sanitizing needs for your entire life. Follow the directions exactly and be careful with it.
You're right about that. They have it in stock too.

Personally, I am not sanitizing everything in site but if I were, this would work Used in commercial kitchens.
https://www.amazon.com/Steramine-Quater ... 521&sr=8-2
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Bleach seems to be readily available (now) where I live, and even when they were sold out of bleach the store had plenty of pool chlorine tablets. You need to be careful about getting the dilution with water right, you don't want it too strong (chlorine is toxic), but if diluted in enough water it can be a great disinfectant while safe enough to swim in ;)
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

JoMoney wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:09 am Bleach seems to be readily available (now) where I live, and even when they were sold out of bleach the store had plenty of pool chlorine tablets. You need to be careful about getting the dilution with water right, you don't want it too strong (chlorine is toxic), but if diluted in enough water it can be a great disinfectant while safe enough to swim in ;)
10 parts water to 1 part bleach is what is taught in my yearly infectious disease awareness refresher course.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

Turbo29 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:52 pm
whodidntante wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:16 pm The most immediate way is to head to your grocery store or wherever you get booze in your state and buy a bottle of pure ethanol. Not liquor, ethanol. You can probably score that tonight. Pour that on a microfiber cloth and wipe stuff down that needs to be sanitized.

Personally, I am not sanitizing everything in site but if I were, this would work Used in commercial kitchens.
One of those tablets per gallon of water if I'm reading it right? I don't think I have a container large enough for a gallon of liquid. Or enough surfaces to clean with it.

I'm also primarily using water, sometimes with soap, when I clean my surfaces. However, I live alone and am not that kind of doctor, so please don't take this as advice.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

Clever_Username wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:10 am
Turbo29 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:52 pm

One of those tablets per gallon of water if I'm reading it right? I don't think I have a container large enough for a gallon of liquid. Or enough surfaces to clean with it.

I'm also primarily using water, sometimes with soap, when I clean my surfaces. However, I live alone and am not that kind of doctor, so please don't take this as advice.
Looks like if used as a spray, 2 tablets per gallon, so you could make a half gallon. Unclear to me how long it remains effective in the bottle.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I have not tried liquor store but rubbing alcohol and bleach are not available around here (NC).

Also, I have read that you need to be careful mixing bleach with other things aside from water because it can create a poisonous gas.
Designairohio

Post by Designairohio »

I bought a 4 pack of Lysol at Costco here in Ohio $17 on Tuesday they had plenty
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

FoolMeOnce wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:52 am Looks like if used as a spray, 2 tablets per gallon, so you could make a half gallon. Unclear to me how long it remains effective in the bottle.
Solutions of quaternary ammonium sanitizers are much more stable than bleach solutions. Just be careful and follow the label directions. Too strong can be toxic. More is not better.

Edit: If you are concerned, you can test your solutions.

https://www.amazon.com/Steramine-Saniti ... 635&sr=8-7
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar »

Surprisingly, Everclear isn't sold out.

I'm thanking my lucky stars

Of course, the stuff needs to be diluted first, but hooray for kitchen scales

Only thing is that I'm left with a lot of nasty potable ethanol if I don't use up all of it...
Clever_Username wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:10 am One of those tablets per gallon of water if I'm reading it right? I don't think I have a container large enough for a gallon of liquid. Or enough surfaces to clean with it.

Gallon jugs for milk or OJ. Or in a pinch, the 1.25-gallon buckets used for the cheapest of ice creams
carolinaman wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:38 am I have not tried liquor store but rubbing alcohol and bleach are not available around here (NC).

Also, I have read that you need to be careful mixing bleach with other things aside from water because it can create a poisonous gas.
that is indeed the case when one mixes bleach with ammonia

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also should note that for any home-made bleach spray, check to make sure the spraying mechanism doesn't contain anything metallic. Bleach will oxidize that

Nice thing about a spray bottle is that the amount dispensed is more or less metered. If I were to pour out the stuff, chances are, I'll overdo it and waste stuff in the process
wanderer

Post by wanderer »

There may be other suitable products available in your area. Cleaning supply stores my have supplies they will sell to retail customers.

See the CDC list in this link: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... ction.html

Another list is: https://www.americanchemistry.com/Novel ... s-List.pdf

Notes:
Using water to dilute either alcohols or household bleach is generally safe at home. Hydrogen peroxide can also be safe.
Bleach and peroxide loose their potency over time as the active ingredient vaporizes in an open container (spray bottle). Use "fresh" and keep bulk containers closed as much as possible.

Mixing other chemicals to make a home-made cleaner can be dangerous. The common mistake is mixing ammonia-based chemicals (including the QAS's above) with with chlorine (eg. bleach or pool chemicals). Some BH'rs may have the chemistry background to do this safely, but I'd bet very few do.

Start with plain-old soap and water so you do not have to use as much of cleaner (save $$ and safer for the respiratory track too)
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

When I used to work in a lab in college we used to use 60%+ alcohol solution in a spray bottle as a cheap and effective way to disinfect surfaces including the sterile hoods. The caveat is that it can be highly flammable and very drying on skin. Getting it in your eyes and mucous membranes is very painful. Alcohol is both an organic and polar solvent, so it can damage some surfaces and finishes.

I've been pouring 70%+ isopropyl alchohol (drug store rubbing alcohol) into packages of wet wipes/baby wipes to make antiseptic handwipes. At the liquor store, pure grain alcohol e.g. Everclear, is ethanol (a form of ethyl alcohol) which can also be effective if 60%+ strength (120+ proof).
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
squirm

Post by squirm »

FI4LIFE wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:06 am
JoMoney wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:09 am Bleach seems to be readily available (now) where I live, and even when they were sold out of bleach the store had plenty of pool chlorine tablets. You need to be careful about getting the dilution with water right, you don't want it too strong (chlorine is toxic), but if diluted in enough water it can be a great disinfectant while safe enough to swim in ;)
10 parts water to 1 part bleach is what is taught in my yearly infectious disease awareness refresher course.
how long does it need to stay wet on the surface for?

I see a lot of spray on and immediately wipe off at the stores, such as checkout counters. I wonder if that's doing anything at all, except to spread any potential viruses around.
Last edited by squirm on Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squirm

Post by squirm »

so can i just spray all the items (except for produce) from the grocery store with a 1:10 water/bleach, let it dry and then put the stuff away?
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

mhalley wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:33 pm Buy a small spray bottle and make your own using bleach.
No bleach for sale in my town.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Not in my liquor stores. I have been able to find no-name brand rum that is 151 proof (75.5% ETOH).

And I'll have a big party with rum punch in a year or more when they have a vaccine.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

InMyDreams wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:18 pm
No bleach for sale in my town.
You could look for pool chlorine, including test strips that can help measure the level of dilution when you add water.
When the bleach was gone in my town, the shelf at Walmart with all pool chemicals including chlorine tabs, was fully stocked.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Mangas Coloradas

Post by Mangas Coloradas »

Liquor stores are still open where you are?

They are not in NM. Also no rubbing alcohol in stores, no hand sanitizer available, etc etc ...
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Mangas Coloradas wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:29 pm Liquor stores are still open where you are?

They are not in NM. Also no rubbing alcohol in stores, no hand sanitizer available, etc etc ...
In my state, you can buy booze at the grocery store.
Mangas Coloradas

whodidntante wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:13 pm
Mangas Coloradas wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:29 pm Liquor stores are still open where you are?

Here also but they don't have as wide a selection. I don't know of any that would have something like Everclear. We used to just call it PGA when I was younger, the prime ingredient in Purple Passion for dorm room parties.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Mangas Coloradas wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:25 pm

Here also but they don't have as wide a selection. I don't know of any that would have something like Everclear. We used to just call it PGA when I was younger, the prime ingredient in Purple Passion for dorm room parties.
Purple Passion...we called it PJ = Party Juice. I'm just glad I survived those days. :sharebeer
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

squirm wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:10 pm

I see a lot of spray on and immediately wipe off at the stores, such as checkout counters. I wonder if that's doing anything at all, except to spread any potential viruses around.
I don't have any specific knowledge to answer your question but the longer the better. Even when you wipe it some of the solution stays behind.
Mangas Coloradas

TallBoy29er wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:15 pm
Mangas Coloradas wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:25 pm

Purple Passion...we called it PJ = Party Juice. I'm just glad I survived those days. :sharebeer
I am too! Where do you ride that 29er? We got some pretty nice trails around here in northern NM ... I'm thinking of getting a TB.
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

squirm wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:12 pm so can i just spray all the items (except for produce) from the grocery store with a 1:10 water/bleach, let it dry and then put the stuff away?
Yes just make sure you have it right - 10 parts water to 1 part bleach. Obviously, be careful around clothing and anything you wouldn't want bleach on. This solution is considered suitable for healthcare setting disinfecting purposes. I have no specific memory or knowledge of exactly what it kills and what it doesn't but it's a powerful disinfectant.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

FI4LIFE wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:23 pm
squirm wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:10 pm

I don't have any specific knowledge to answer your question but the longer the better. Even when you wipe it some of the solution stays behind.
Yes, "longer the better". I've seen suggestions (depending on what it's being applied to) saying to just let it air dry.
The below from the CDC site says "at least 1 minute":
... diluted household bleach solutions (at least 1000ppm sodium hypochlorite) can be used if appropriate for the surface. Follow manufacturer’s instructions for application, ensuring a contact time of at least 1 minute, and allowing proper ventilation during and after application. Check to ensure the product is not past its expiration date. Never mix household bleach with ammonia or any other cleanser. Unexpired household bleach will be effective against coronaviruses when properly diluted.
Prepare a bleach solution by mixing:
5 tablespoons (1/3 cup) bleach per gallon of water or
4 teaspoons bleach per quart of water

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... ction.html
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

I bought a gallon of something called OdoBan (lavender scented) concentrate at Costco. The active ingredient is Alkyl (C12-16) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride.

Does anyone here have any thoughts as to this chemical's effectiveness and safety?

This is what it looks like: https://www.cleancontrol.com/project/od ... v-11101-g/
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

Kennedy wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:13 pm I bought a gallon of something called OdoBan (lavender scented) concentrate at Costco. The active ingredient is Alkyl (C12-16) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride.

Does anyone here have any thoughts as to this chemical's effectiveness and safety?

This is what it looks like: https://www.cleancontrol.com/project/od ... v-11101-g/
It's a quaternary ammonium sanitizer, same class of sanitizzers as the Steramine tablets discussed above. Mix according to the label directions and it should be fine.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

Clorox Wipes, Lysol Wipes, and Lysol spray all have that ingredient:
n-Alkyl Dymethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride.

Clorox Wipes have two slightly different variations listed, each at 0.184%.

Lysol has one, at 0.26%.
Lysol spray also has 50% Ethanol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzalkonium_chloride

I guess the different C numbers show variations. Per wikipedia, C12 and C14 have the best greatest biocidal property.

Where do you get these tablets?
Can you please point me to some product online that I can look for?
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Kennedy wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:13 pm I bought a gallon of something called OdoBan (lavender scented) concentrate at Costco. The active ingredient is Alkyl (C12-16) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride.

FWIW, it looks like
N-alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride is one of the active ingredients in "Clorox Disinfecting Wipes" (which don't actually have bleach).
https://owlcation.com/stem/The-Science- ... d-Cleaners

It's listed over here as being effective against "Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2", but suggests a longer "contact time" (5 min) compared to bleach products (1 min) https://www.ecri.org/components/HDJourn ... aspx?tab=2

I would be very careful with any concentrated industrial cleaners, I don't know what right level of dilution is, but they can be very dangerous if not used properly... Hopefully it has good labeling and instructions on use.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

"Policy for TemporaryCompounding of CertainAlcohol-Based HandSanitizer Products During the Public HealthEmergency"
info here:
https://www.fda.gov/media/136118/download
which refers to this WHO document:
https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide_to_ ... uction.pdf

If I had not been able to buy hand sanitizer this morning, I probably would have been jiggering (!) my own formula from it using my 151.
FunnelCakeBob

Post by FunnelCakeBob »

If you're cleaning hard surfaces like countertops and household fixtures, soap and water in a spray bottle should be fine. Just saturate to dampen, wipe, then dampen again with just water and wipe dry.
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

List N: Disinfectants for Use Against SARS-CoV-2
All products on this list meet EPA’s criteria for use against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registrat ... sars-cov-2
jco

Post by jco »

I'm resurrecting this very helpful thread!

We have not been able to find isopropyl alcohol in our area of Colorado for something like 3 months. Are quaternary ammonium/dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride based disinfectant sprays safe to use in a family environment?

- If a child gets a little on their skin, how problematic will it be? Better to wash it off, but a little one might not be aware.
- Will they stain clothes they come in contact with?

I understand that they are not safe for consumption (like if a child drank some). Since Lysol uses dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride as a main ingredient, I'm assuming precautions would be similar. But we've never really used Lysol, so I'm not sure what to expect.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Have you tried ordering online? I ordered some from Walmart.com last month (their Equate brand). I kept checking the website until some popped up as available to ship. I see Curad alcohol pads (if they would work for you) available for shipping right now (may vary by area).
jco

Post by jco »

HomeStretch wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:28 am Have you tried ordering online? I ordered some from Walmart.com last month (their Equate brand). I kept checking the website until some popped up as available to ship. I see Curad alcohol pads (if they would work for you) available for shipping right now (may vary by area).
When we've looked for isopropyl alcohol online (quite a few times), it's either been ridiculously expensive or out of stock.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

jco wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:15 am - If a child gets a little on their skin, how problematic will it be? Better to wash it off, but a little one might not be aware.
- Will they stain clothes they come in contact with?
No staining, safe as anything else. After all, no one puts on gloves before using these wipes, so they are getting the chemicals all over their fingers and hands from normal use.

If you look at the ingredients of antiseptic wipes found in first-aid kits they are pretty much the same thing. One could lick their fingers after using a wipe and not have any worries.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

jco wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:00 am
HomeStretch wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:28 am Have you tried ordering online? I ordered some from Walmart.com last month (their Equate brand). I kept checking the website until some popped up as available to ship. I see Curad alcohol pads (if they would work for you) available for shipping right now (may vary by area).
When we've looked for isopropyl alcohol online (quite a few times), it's either been ridiculously expensive or out of stock.
I bought some in the pharmacy department of my local chain grocery store.
jco

Post by jco »

quote=livesoft post_id=5352212 time=1593961405 user_id=648]
jco wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:15 am No staining, safe as anything else. After all, no one puts on gloves before using these wipes, so they are getting the chemicals all over their fingers and hands from normal use.

If you look at the ingredients of antiseptic wipes found in first-aid kits they are pretty much the same thing. One could lick their fingers after using a wipe and not have any worries.
Excellent. Thank you for your help.

Kennedy wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:13 am
jco wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:00 am When we've looked for isopropyl alcohol online (quite a few times), it's either been ridiculously expensive or out of stock.
I bought some in the pharmacy department of my local chain grocery store.
We've heard of others finding it. We check pretty much every time we're in the store, but it's a hot item, so I guess we've just mistimed it.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

A friend runs a dog training business, and despite extensive contacts with people in retail, has still, to this day, not been able to get the Lysol spray she needs for some of the fabric things in her business. The aerosol spray has just disappeared.

As far as the spray for hard surfaces, the last time I was in Smart and Final, they had gallon jugs of their house brand concentrate. It would have been enough to last until Armageddon. I was on foot and already carrying two gallons of milk, so I skipped it.

Costco has had the five packs of Clorox wipes pretty consistently for a couple of months. We have at least a year’s supply now.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

People are so obsessed with finding Clorox or Lysol brand disinfectant sprays that they often overlook Windex. Windex has a spray product that claims to kill 97% of germs. It's a yellow liquid, not the regular blue liquid.