Tips On Downsizing

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TheAccountant

Tips On Downsizing

Post by TheAccountant »

First, I wanted to say that I hope everyone is doing well and is staying safe during these times.

One thing I realized during all of this is that I do NOT need all of the space I’m currently living in. Right now I have several acres of land (that has to be mowed and maintained) and a big 2000 square foot house that constantly requires cleaning and maintenance.

So I decided to move to a smaller, 2 bed 1 bath 900 square foot home in the same area. I will still work in the same area, so I won’t be going too far. It’s a move to a nicer part of town though.

The only thing that I am going to miss in the garage. I’m going to put up a carport for now, and there’s room to build a garage later on, so there’s always that. I’ve just had a nagging feeling that it’s time to move, and I am going to roll with it.

Has anyone else downsized? How did it go? Any regrets?
LilyFleur

Re: Tips On Downsizing

Post by LilyFleur »

I went from 2100 sf to 1037 sf after my marriage ended. One thing I have really appreciated about my condo is that it has two full bathrooms. It's great to have backup for toilets and showers, especially when other people are here.
btq96r

Post by btq96r »

I moved from a 1,250 sq. ft townhouse into a 750 sq. ft apartment to be closer to work. I miss having a dedicated home office/study as I now have an open floor plan and just put my desk in a corner. I do like how I've been forced to be creative with the space to get good benefit from it.

One big adjustment I made that you might have to is cramming all your things into the reduced square footage. I've still got some boxes of things I'm not keen to throw away in my closet, and bedroom (it's kind of looks like I'm only 95% done unpacking, despite it being three years here now), and I've gotten rid of stuff as I've gone along and realized I don't need it anymore.

The other big thing will be how your kitchen flow goes. This apartment was actually an upgrade with better appliances and more counter space, so it's been an upgrade for me. Moving to a smaller space probably won't afford you that perk. Think about how the motions of preparing meals will change.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

We went from three levels to one level for our retirement house, but kept the his and her bathrooms.
There are books about easier to clean surfaces in houses, that we followed, but watch out for current, but quickly outdated, patterns in your kitchen counter tops.

Be aware of seasonal and weather related chores. Those pretty, red maple tree leaves, are seriously messy to clean up after the leaves have fallen. Those leaves curl into shapes that are easily blown everywhere, even while you are trying to gather them. Bag leaves all day, and tomorrow morning the yard looks the same as before you started.

Long term, consider whether you want to be elderly in that rural house that is so attractive early in retirement. Yes, it is single story but much further from shopping and medical services which are sometimes needed even when the snow is fresh on your long driveway to the un-plowed county road, both of which improve your privacy in the summertime.

Our property backs to a forest, so that location is now an added fire liability, and time-wise we are not near the rural fire station, so our fire insurance is expensive.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

There have been several posts regarding this, just type downsizing into the search box. Here is one that emphasizes decluttering. When we downsized it was quite liberating getting rid of stuff.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=262071&hilit=Downsize
yohac

Post by yohac »

TheAccountant wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:29 pm The only thing that I am going to miss in the garage.
I'm all for downsizing but I couldn't give up a garage. It snows here, and even though the crime rate is relatively low, cars parked outside are easy targets.