Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
beastykato
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by beastykato »

Just buy the dongle splitter so you can charge and listen at the same time......

Oh wait...

That's why I don't buy Apple lol.

You're definitely not alone in being unhappy about the port. Sad part is they are influencing the designs of the other manufactures too.

Apple makes many sacrifices in the name of beauty over functionality. There isn't anything inherently wrong with that many people pay large amounts of money to be fashionable, but it's definitely not "better".
CurlyDave
Posts: 1971
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:37 am

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by CurlyDave »

beastykato wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:50 pm Just buy the dongle splitter so you can charge and listen at the same time......
Some are less than $10.00 at Amazon.
randomguy
Posts: 9206
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by randomguy »

anoop wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:27 am
We care about SSD write speeds because only so many open apps can be in RAM. If we pick the one that's sitting in SSD, then the OS needs to make space in the RAM to load that and it does so by writing one of the inactive apps' data to the SSD. Until that write is complete and the selected app is loaded, the user will be waiting. Of course, if we close/kill every app immediately after using it, then we may not care as much about SSD write speeds since the write will happen immediately on closing/killing it.
Sure. And if it takes .2s instead of .1s, do you notice? It seems an odd mix to be that concerned with performance and shopping the cheap models.
mnnice
Posts: 492
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:48 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by mnnice »

terran wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:50 pm Thanks for posting. We usually buy used and I've had great luck with my 5s, but my wife not so much, so this might be a good option. Her current iPhone 7 is on the fritz and won't connect to the cellular network. Seems to be a pretty expensive part as the most likely cause, so I was surprised when filling out the trade-in tool online that she would get full value for it because none of the condition questions asked about connectivity functionality. Does anyone have experience with Apple's trade-in policy when it comes to phones that are in good condition in most areas, but poor condition in an area that they don't ask about it? I'm wondering if I should expect to get full trade-in value, or if they'll reduce it once we mail it in and there's something wrong with it that wasn't included in the trade-in tool?
My previous experience had been that on trade in the have a checklist. Powering on and off is essential. I had a 7 with the opposite problem (no WIFI, cellular worked fine). I traded it in too T-mobile without issue.
beastykato
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by beastykato »

CurlyDave wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:23 pm
beastykato wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:50 pm Just buy the dongle splitter so you can charge and listen at the same time......
Some are less than $10.00 at Amazon.

The cost alone is isn't the the main problem. Although it also is a major problem.

I'm not a poor individual, but $10 is way too much to have to spend after you just bought a $1000+ phone that's supposed to be the greatest thing out there. It's a joke more than anything and that's true of even a budget phone.

The bigger issue than the extra $10 is having to carry that thing around with you everywhere you have your phone just to do the basic function of charging the device and listing to music at the same time.... unless you opt for the sub-par air pods, which is exactly what Apple is trying to force you to do.

And I'm sure some will try to justify carrying an extra cable, but it's a hassle and is just one more thing you have to buy, not lose, and make sure you don't forget when you leave your home.

I'm definitely not a purchaser of Apple products, not because they aren't good devices but because of things like this and I'm cost conscious.

There were many positive reasons they did this including making the devices thinner than the port would allow and getting the screens closer to the edge. I'm not simply a hater, but I think that they can figure something out that's better than simply "lets just delete that port" .

And just to remain unbias... Samsung and Google and any other manufacturer was just as guilty in following them. I'm sure they all copied and released their own "air pods" and "dongles" to go along with their devices too.
Jags4186
Posts: 5129
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by Jags4186 »

beastykato wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:59 am
CurlyDave wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:23 pm
beastykato wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:50 pm Just buy the dongle splitter so you can charge and listen at the same time......
Some are less than $10.00 at Amazon.

The cost alone is isn't the the main problem. Although it also is a major problem.

I'm not a poor individual, but $10 is way too much to have to spend after you just bought a $1000+ phone that's supposed to be the greatest thing out there. It's a joke more than anything and that's true of even a budget phone.

The bigger issue than the extra $10 is having to carry that thing around with you everywhere you have your phone just to do the basic function of charging the device and listing to music at the same time.... unless you opt for the sub-par air pods, which is exactly what Apple is trying to force you to do.

And I'm sure some will try to justify carrying an extra cable, but it's a hassle and is just one more thing you have to buy, not lose, and make sure you don't forget when you leave your home.

I'm definitely not a purchaser of Apple products, not because they aren't good devices but because of things like this and I'm cost conscious.

There were many positive reasons they did this including making the devices thinner than the port would allow and getting the screens closer to the edge. I'm not simply a hater, but I think that they can figure something out that's better than simply "lets just delete that port" .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzzxUVMGlik I think this video is appropriate.

That said, it's really not a big deal to carry around a dongle if you use wired headphones...just always leave the dongle connected to your headphones. I've moved on to wireless headphones so I don't care about having a headphone jack. In fact, I don't know why anyone would use wired headphones to go around in anymore -- really inconvenient, things get tangled, caught on stuff. I'm actually happy Apple gently nudged me towards wireless headphones.

You should buy what's best for you. No product is perfect. What makes having a headphone jack be the "greatest thing out there." Ferraris can't hold as much luggage as a Toyota Corolla. Teslas can't drive as far as the Prius.

Also, if you are cost conscious you should be a fan of the iPhone SE. You could have an iPhone 6, and still be using the same case for the SE released 6 years later. You'd have to buy a new case every time you upgrade your cost-conscious android phone. You could use those savings to get yourself a dongle!
mxs
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by mxs »

Bottom line this is a good deal for people who prefer Apple phones. IMO Android and Apple are very different. If you want an Apple phone, get one. If you want Android then get that. My wife and her family prefer Apples so this would appeal to her and most of her family. I am happy with my Moto G5s plus. Some functions can't be done by one version, but there are often work arounds. FaceTime and Google Duo for instance. Each to their own. Btw, my wife has struggled with her 32gb old SE, and since this new phone will likely have larger file size pictures and video, we will be getting either the 128 or 256 gb version.
beastykato
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by beastykato »

Jags4186 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:09 am
beastykato wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:59 am
CurlyDave wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:23 pm
beastykato wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:50 pm Just buy the dongle splitter so you can charge and listen at the same time......
Some are less than $10.00 at Amazon.

The cost alone is isn't the the main problem. Although it also is a major problem.

I'm not a poor individual, but $10 is way too much to have to spend after you just bought a $1000+ phone that's supposed to be the greatest thing out there. It's a joke more than anything and that's true of even a budget phone.

The bigger issue than the extra $10 is having to carry that thing around with you everywhere you have your phone just to do the basic function of charging the device and listing to music at the same time.... unless you opt for the sub-par air pods, which is exactly what Apple is trying to force you to do.

And I'm sure some will try to justify carrying an extra cable, but it's a hassle and is just one more thing you have to buy, not lose, and make sure you don't forget when you leave your home.

I'm definitely not a purchaser of Apple products, not because they aren't good devices but because of things like this and I'm cost conscious.

There were many positive reasons they did this including making the devices thinner than the port would allow and getting the screens closer to the edge. I'm not simply a hater, but I think that they can figure something out that's better than simply "lets just delete that port" .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzzxUVMGlik I think this video is appropriate.

That said, it's really not a big deal to carry around a dongle if you use wired headphones...just always leave the dongle connected to your headphones. I've moved on to wireless headphones so I don't care about having a headphone jack. In fact, I don't know why anyone would use wired headphones to go around in anymore -- really inconvenient, things get tangled, caught on stuff. I'm actually happy Apple gently nudged me towards wireless headphones.

You should buy what's best for you. No product is perfect. What makes having a headphone jack be the "greatest thing out there." Ferraris can't hold as much luggage as a Toyota Corolla. Teslas can't drive as far as the Prius.

Also, if you are cost conscious you should be a fan of the iPhone SE. You could have an iPhone 6, and still be using the same case for the SE released 6 years later. You'd have to buy a new case every time you upgrade your cost-conscious android phone. You could use those savings to get yourself a dongle!
Touche on some of that. It is true it probably isn't that bad to just keep the dongle attached to the headphone if you only have one set of headphones. My household has 15 headsets (exaggeration) from ear buds, external speakers, to music, to game console and PC headsets for both us and kids. I'm not going to reinvest in wireless for everything because Apple said so.

As I said, there are some good beauty and design reasons for it, but the issue goes beyond their aux port because they removed the ports on all the laptops as well. The last review I saw showed all the ports they removed cost about $125 in dongles ($25-50 for Apple dongles each) to replace if you bought one of their new laptops in mid 2019. You couldn't even communicate between some of their own devices without buying a dongle first :confused . It's been a year since I kept up on their changes so I don't know possibly that's changed, but their is nothing "cost conscious" about any of Apple's products, even if you can reuse a case. :|

Don't get me wrong, I'm a reasonable man, if you like it and the dongle issue isn't a problem for a person by all means go for it. As a consumer I'm like hell no, but as a shareholder I'm like hell yeah I hope everyone in this thread buys 15 dongles for $400 :sharebeer
02nz
Posts: 5565
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by 02nz »

mxs wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:13 pm Btw, my wife has struggled with her 32gb old SE, and since this new phone will likely have larger file size pictures and video, we will be getting either the 128 or 256 gb version.
The camera of the new SE has the same resolution as the old SE (12 MP), so the files shouldn't be any bigger. Actually, if you use the newer file formats introduced in iOS 11 (HEIF for pictures and HEVC for videos), you'll get significantly smaller file sizes with same or better quality. Compatibility isn't as wide as JPEG but there's a setting to automatically convert when you copy pictures to you computer.
mxs
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by mxs »

02nz wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:10 pm
mxs wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:13 pm Btw, my wife has struggled with her 32gb old SE, and since this new phone will likely have larger file size pictures and video, we will be getting either the 128 or 256 gb version.
The camera of the new SE has the same resolution as the old SE (12 MP), so the files shouldn't be any bigger. Actually, if you use the newer file formats introduced in iOS 11 (HEIF for pictures and HEVC for videos), you'll get significantly smaller file sizes with same or better quality. Compatibility isn't as wide as JPEG but there's a setting to automatically convert when you copy pictures to you computer.
Thanks for the info. More storage will let me move files less often, so that is a win for me. Sounds like 128 gb is what I will get.
02nz
Posts: 5565
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by 02nz »

Reviews are out now, e.g.: https://www.cnet.com/reviews/iphone-se- ... ne-review/. As expected: state-of-the art performance, significantly better battery life than the iPhone 8, and photo quality isn't quite as good as the iPhone 11 but it's pretty close aside from lack of night mode. Good value at $400, and at $200 (several carriers are running promos) there's no competition unless you just can't stand iOS.
Jags4186
Posts: 5129
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by Jags4186 »

02nz wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:23 am Reviews are out now, e.g.: https://www.cnet.com/reviews/iphone-se- ... ne-review/. As expected: state-of-the art performance, significantly better battery life than the iPhone 8, and photo quality isn't quite as good as the iPhone 11 but it's pretty close aside from lack of night mode. Good value at $400, and at $200 (several carriers are running promos) there's no competition unless you just can't stand iOS.
Very impressive. The trick is now seeing how often Apple will update the SE line. While the SE today is an amazing value, will it stick around for 4 years at the same price like the old SE did?
02nz
Posts: 5565
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by 02nz »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:07 am Very impressive. The trick is now seeing how often Apple will update the SE line. While the SE today is an amazing value, will it stick around for 4 years at the same price like the old SE did?
The original SE didn't stick around for 4 years at the same price. It launched in the spring of '16 at $400, and Apple cleared them out at $250 around the holidays 2018.
jjface
Posts: 3073
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by jjface »

02nz wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:43 pm
harrychan wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:27 pm
02nz wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:07 pm But the $400 iPhone gets you the same internals as the $700-$1100 iPhones, with performance well above the latest and greatest Android phones.
I think you need to take some time and look at the latest Android phone offers. A $400 iphone SE is no where near the performance of the "greatest" Android phones.

https://benchmarks.ul.com/compare/best-smartphones

Keep scrolling, you will find iphone 11 pro there. The unquestionable advantage of an iphone is their camera. I don't think the iphone SE will top that of say Google Pixel 4 or Samsung Galaxy S20.
The industry standard is Geekbench. Geekbench 5 scores (single-core/multi-core):

iPhone 11, $700 (same processor as SE): 1330 / 3251
Pixel 4, $800 but on sale for $500: 746 / 2515
Samsung S20, $800: 924 / 2776
Samsung S20 Ultra, $1400: 920 / 3318

The most expensive version of the S20 costs twice as much as the iPhone 11 and barely edges the it on multi-core (but is still way behind on single-core, which matters more in everyday use). And that's if you luck out and get one with a Qualcomm processor, as the ones with Exynos are slower.

ETA: How about Samsung's rival to the iPhone SE at the same price, the Galaxy A51? 343 / 1215, about one quarter the single-core score and just over a third of the multi-core. Ouch.
I plan to pick one up as a backup. For $200 or so it is a great addition to my collection.

But specs and benchmarks never equate to real life performance. I find the pixel 3a with its mid range chip as fast in real life as an iphone 11 for my usage. The apple A13 is overkill to any but the most demanding users (and they probably aren't in the market for a $400 phone anyway). Android naturally has a multi-tasking advantage down to the software which won't show up in benchmarks. It just is better at it.

At the end of the day most people lean towards android or ios. In the US ios is loved and there are a lot who won't want to give up imessages. So it doesn't really matter if android is technically better or not as most won't cross platforms and comparisons are just pointless arguments.
azanon
Posts: 2947
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 am

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by azanon »

Ordered mine 20 minutes after they allowed purchases - due to come in on Friday 24! It's replacing my SE1.

My preferred apple strategy is a cheap iphone, but an iPad Air for heavy duty w/extra large screen, instead of a large phone that tries to do both.

(edit) scanned the comments and saw several comments about even $400 being too much for a "phone". I'd agree with every person that said that, if that's all it was. As best I can tell, it's a miniaturized computer (and a fairly powerful one at that with the A13 chip) and fairly decent camera that's also capable of making calls. Might as well just say it's an electronic notepad, as that feature is roughly as impressive as the phone part, given how cheap you can get just any ole phone off of a rack at Walmart.
02nz
Posts: 5565
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by 02nz »

jjface wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:20 am But specs and benchmarks never equate to real life performance. I find the pixel 3a with its mid range chip as fast in real life as an iphone 11 for my usage. The apple A13 is overkill to any but the most demanding users (and they probably aren't in the market for a $400 phone anyway). Android naturally has a multi-tasking advantage down to the software which won't show up in benchmarks. It just is better at it.
Leaving aside whether Android "just is better at" multi-tasking, I do agree benchmarks aren't the same as real-life performance. No one will find the iPhone SE twice as fast as the Pixel 3a in real use. But that performance is the main reason the SE will still be very usable 4-5 years from now (as the 6S is now), while software updates (for both features and security) for the Pixel 3a will long have ended.
SchruteB&B
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:48 am

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by SchruteB&B »

azanon wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:25 am Ordered mine 20 minutes after they allowed purchases - due to come in on Friday 24! It's replacing my SE1.
Curious if yours has shipped yet? I ordered mine right away on the 17th and although it says arriving April 24 it also still says “preparing to ship.”
azanon
Posts: 2947
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 am

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by azanon »

SchruteB&B wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:11 am
azanon wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:25 am Ordered mine 20 minutes after they allowed purchases - due to come in on Friday 24! It's replacing my SE1.
Curious if yours has shipped yet? I ordered mine right away on the 17th and although it says arriving April 24 it also still says “preparing to ship.”
Yeah UPS tracking says In Transit to be delivered Friday by End of Day, though I did get some separate text warning that the delivery might be delayed due to COVID. But I think that was a standard warning, so It'll likely come in Friday.
SchruteB&B
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:48 am

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by SchruteB&B »

azanon wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:13 am
SchruteB&B wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:11 am
azanon wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:25 am Ordered mine 20 minutes after they allowed purchases - due to come in on Friday 24! It's replacing my SE1.
Curious if yours has shipped yet? I ordered mine right away on the 17th and although it says arriving April 24 it also still says “preparing to ship.”
Yeah UPS tracking says In Transit to be delivered Friday by End of Day, though I did get some separate text warning that the delivery might be delayed due to COVID. But I think that was a standard warning, so It'll likely come in Friday.
Thanks—okay I am going to presume mine is definitely not arriving Friday then.
rjbraun
Posts: 1705
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by rjbraun »

I am happy with my iPhone SE and like its compactness. I also have an iPhone 7 for work (upgraded from a 6 that failed). I regularly end up using my SE for its phone jack, even for work-related calls.

I definitely am interested in the new SE release, in the event I will need to upgrade, but I suspect it doesn't include a phone jack, which would be unfortunate, in my opinion.
02nz
Posts: 5565
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by 02nz »

rjbraun wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:33 am I am happy with my iPhone SE and like its compactness. I also have an iPhone 7 for work (upgraded from a 6 that failed). I regularly end up using my SE for its phone jack, even for work-related calls.

I definitely am interested in the new SE release, in the event I will need to upgrade, but I suspect it doesn't include a phone jack, which would be unfortunate, in my opinion.
It does not have a headphone jack. EarPods with Lightning connector are in the box, or you can buy a dongle for regular headphones for $9.
jjface
Posts: 3073
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by jjface »

02nz wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:38 am
jjface wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:20 am But specs and benchmarks never equate to real life performance. I find the pixel 3a with its mid range chip as fast in real life as an iphone 11 for my usage. The apple A13 is overkill to any but the most demanding users (and they probably aren't in the market for a $400 phone anyway). Android naturally has a multi-tasking advantage down to the software which won't show up in benchmarks. It just is better at it.
Leaving aside whether Android "just is better at" multi-tasking, I do agree benchmarks aren't the same as real-life performance. No one will find the iPhone SE twice as fast as the Pixel 3a in real use. But that performance is the main reason the SE will still be very usable 4-5 years from now (as the 6S is now), while software updates (for both features and security) for the Pixel 3a will long have ended.
As I said arguing is pointless. It is like the schwab vs fidelity vs vanguard debate. They have their pros and cons and each to their own. You are not going to persuade a diehard vanguard fan that fidelity offers a better online experience nor are you going to persuade a fidelity fan of the benefits of investing directly with vanguard. Great thing is there are plenty of good choices out there.

But since I can't resist :P ...

You can't leave aside the fact that android is far superior at multi-tasking. It is just a fact. I am happy to recognize the benefits of ios over android but likewise it isn't good to be blind the other way.

As far as software features and updates go you aren't going to beat android. Night mode for the camera is a great example. Introduced in the 2018 pixel 3 it took apple a year to catch up in the iphone 11 and even then it isn't yet implemented on the selfie camera or additional rear cameras unlike android. The pixel 2016/2017 pixels have it but apple refuses to update the 2018 XR/XS with it and now won't even give it to the new 2020 iphone SE. So what was the point of that super A13 chip??

We have yet to see features like always on display on iphones. Pixels also have lots of useful unique software features eg call screening (helps to screen spam calls), now playing (identifies songs playing the background), voice memo live transcription etc. It is also easy to sideload updated features to older models even when not officially supported whereas apple's wall prevents that eg the astrophotography mode from the latest pixels was easily ported to the 2016 pixel. Ios usually does software really well when it implements them but they are usually late to the game and don't give the best to the older or cheaper models. Imessages is a big thing in the US.

Yes 5 years or so of security updates is a big win for apple. Personally I don't hold on to phones that long but it does wonders for resale value. There is no denying the longevity of iphones is far superior as well as resale value. Then again it is easy to pick up a fantastic phone for next to nothing with android eg a last year's flagship. You can pick up a NEW pixel 3xl from sprint for $300 ($899 at launch). The Iphone XS is still $899.99 ($999 at launch)! Even the pixel 4 is $499 right now. It may last 2 years less than the latest iphone but costs half as much as the iphone equivalent flagship.
02nz
Posts: 5565
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by 02nz »

jjface wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:09 pm
02nz wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:38 am
jjface wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:20 am But specs and benchmarks never equate to real life performance. I find the pixel 3a with its mid range chip as fast in real life as an iphone 11 for my usage. The apple A13 is overkill to any but the most demanding users (and they probably aren't in the market for a $400 phone anyway). Android naturally has a multi-tasking advantage down to the software which won't show up in benchmarks. It just is better at it.
Leaving aside whether Android "just is better at" multi-tasking, I do agree benchmarks aren't the same as real-life performance. No one will find the iPhone SE twice as fast as the Pixel 3a in real use. But that performance is the main reason the SE will still be very usable 4-5 years from now (as the 6S is now), while software updates (for both features and security) for the Pixel 3a will long have ended.
As I said arguing is pointless. It is like the schwab vs fidelity vs vanguard debate. They have their pros and cons and each to their own. You are not going to persuade a diehard vanguard fan that fidelity offers a better online experience nor are you going to persuade a fidelity fan of the benefits of investing directly with vanguard. Great thing is there are plenty of good choices out there.

But since I can't resist :P ...

You can't leave aside the fact that android is far superior at multi-tasking. It is just a fact. I am happy to recognize the benefits of ios over android but likewise it isn't good to be blind the other way.

As far as software features and updates go you aren't going to beat android. Night mode for the camera is a great example. Introduced in the 2018 pixel 3 it took apple a year to catch up in the iphone 11 and even then it isn't yet implemented on the selfie camera or additional rear cameras unlike android. The pixel 2016/2017 pixels have it but apple refuses to update the 2018 XR/XS with it and now won't even give it to the new 2020 iphone SE. So what was the point of that super A13 chip??

We have yet to see features like always on display on iphones. Pixels also have lots of useful unique software features eg call screening (helps to screen spam calls), now playing (identifies songs playing the background), voice memo live transcription etc. It is also easy to sideload updated features to older models even when not officially supported whereas apple's wall prevents that eg the astrophotography mode from the latest pixels was easily ported to the 2016 pixel. Ios usually does software really well when it implements them but they are usually late to the game and don't give the best to the older or cheaper models. Imessages is a big thing in the US.

Yes 5 years or so of security updates is a big win for apple. Personally I don't hold on to phones that long but it does wonders for resale value. There is no denying the longevity of iphones is far superior as well as resale value. Then again it is easy to pick up a fantastic phone for next to nothing with android eg a last year's flagship. You can pick up a NEW pixel 3xl from sprint for $300 ($899 at launch). The Iphone XS is still $899.99 ($999 at launch)! Even the pixel 4 is $499 right now. It may last 2 years less than the latest iphone but costs half as much as the iphone equivalent flagship.
I've used Android as well, and both have their advantages. But in features the two have largely reached parity on things that most people care about (relative to all smartphone users, very few people "sideload" or even know what it is). And with the SE Apple has made iOS a lot more accessible at just the right time, and I think this will have an impact on sales and market share in ways that debates about this or that feature don't.
rjbraun
Posts: 1705
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by rjbraun »

02nz wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:37 am
rjbraun wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:33 am I am happy with my iPhone SE and like its compactness. I also have an iPhone 7 for work (upgraded from a 6 that failed). I regularly end up using my SE for its phone jack, even for work-related calls.

I definitely am interested in the new SE release, in the event I will need to upgrade, but I suspect it doesn't include a phone jack, which would be unfortunate, in my opinion.
It does not have a headphone jack. EarPods with Lightning connector are in the box, or you can buy a dongle for regular headphones for $9.
Ah, thank you! Feel kinda silly to not have figured that out, yet :oops: ... so, I guess the dongle shown below should do the trick, is that right?

Thanks in advance for any guidance :happy

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Headpho ... den&sr=1-4
02nz
Posts: 5565
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by 02nz »

rjbraun wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:32 pm
02nz wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:37 am
rjbraun wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:33 am I am happy with my iPhone SE and like its compactness. I also have an iPhone 7 for work (upgraded from a 6 that failed). I regularly end up using my SE for its phone jack, even for work-related calls.

I definitely am interested in the new SE release, in the event I will need to upgrade, but I suspect it doesn't include a phone jack, which would be unfortunate, in my opinion.
It does not have a headphone jack. EarPods with Lightning connector are in the box, or you can buy a dongle for regular headphones for $9.
Ah, thank you! Feel kinda silly to not have figured that out, yet :oops: ... so, I guess the dongle shown below should do the trick, is that right?

Thanks in advance for any guidance :happy

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Headpho ... den&sr=1-4
I would only buy certified "made for iPhone" (MFI) Lightning accessories, otherwise there can be compatibility issues. I'm not seeing reasonably priced splitter dongles. I would recommend just the Apple headphone dongle, and if you need to charge simultaneously use wireless charging. But I don't see it as that big a deal as the battery lasts a long time music listening. You can also use an iPad charger or USB-C charger (which requires a different cable) to charge more quickly than the included 5W charger.
beastykato
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by beastykato »

Looking at reviews and getting it for $200 does seem like a good deal for this phone. And I'm outspokenly not an apple fan.

The proprietary cables really piss me off, but I'd be willing to try it for $200.

The battery also seems very small.

How easy is an iPhone to integrate for an Android user? I do not want to use Apple accounts, iTunes, etc. I'd still want to continue using my apps I'm already familiar with. Is that possible? I haven't owned an apple product for about 8 years.
palanzo
Posts: 1397
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by palanzo »

DoTheMath wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:31 pm Since from time to time there are discussions about getting a new Iphone on the cheap, I thought some folks might be interested in the new Iphone SE which was released today. It's basically an Iphone 8 but with upgraded internals and starts at $399.

It looks to be a really good deal for those who don't need the top of the line.
It's an iPhone. :)
CMD1
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:10 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by CMD1 »

beastykato wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:29 am Looking at reviews and getting it for $200 does seem like a good deal for this phone. And I'm outspokenly not an apple fan.

The proprietary cables really piss me off, but I'd be willing to try it for $200.

The battery also seems very small.

How easy is an iPhone to integrate for an Android user? I do not want to use Apple accounts, iTunes, etc. I'd still want to continue using my apps I'm already familiar with. Is that possible? I haven't owned an apple product for about 8 years.
+1. Admittedly I've always used cheaper androids (Moto G's lately) and one thing I've noticed is the phones don't last longer than 2 years max it seems, whereas I've heard people keeping Iphones forever. Perhaps the high end Samsungs last forever too. I prefer lower maintenance tech and don't really want to deal with the hassle of switching to apple but if the camera is considerably better and I can do what I do now I may consider. The camera and long term performance are my only issues with my $150 androids
smitty1515
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 6:34 pm
Location: United States

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by smitty1515 »

They are shipping straight from China and saying delivery by EOD tomorrow.
Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. -Warren Buffett
Jags4186
Posts: 5129
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by Jags4186 »

Here is an article about the 2020 iPhone SE from androidcentral.com: https://www.androidcentral.com/iphone-s ... -flagships

Here is the ultimate conclusion:
Overall, the iPhone SE lowers the barrier for entry into Apple's ecosystem. But there are no real trade-offs here, and the fact that you're getting the A13 Bionic combined with IP67 dust and water resistance, wireless charging, a reliable camera, and four years of software updates makes the iPhone SE a game-changer.

I didn't think we would get to a point where an iPhone offers more value than Android phones, particularly in the mid-range segment. But that's exactly what's going on with the iPhone SE. Let me reiterate: you're not only getting a phone with reliable hardware, but you're also getting great software and more updates than you would on Android, all for $399. If you're in the market for a mid-range phone in 2020, you should absolutely consider the iPhone SE.
mxs
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by mxs »

I will add a few reason why I personally prefer Android for my use.

I like having FM radio and being able to listen to it while mowing or whatever.
Androids Chromecast/Screencast better, with more apps. Chromecast itself is much cheaper than AppleTV devices.
It is much easier to plugin an Android to a PC and move files. It just acts as a hard drive, no iTunes or specific program needed.
I like doing split screen and casually playing a game while watching a movie or doing something else.

If any of the above become available on iPhones it would be a good improvement to me.
veggivet
Posts: 809
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:07 pm
Location: New England

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by veggivet »

The review I read in the WSJ made the point that the smaller phone necessitated a smaller battery, and battery life suffered as a result. On the whole, though, the review was very positive.
If you watch your pennies, your dollars will take care of themselves.
mxs
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by mxs »

veggivet wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:51 pm The review I read in the WSJ made the point that the smaller phone necessitated a smaller battery, and battery life suffered as a result. On the whole, though, the review was very positive.
The SE has a significantly smaller screen than the 11, so it should use less power, and would require a smaller battery for the same usage time. Even if the usage time is less than the 11, it shouldn't be drastically less, maybe an hour or two at most would be my guess.
veggivet
Posts: 809
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:07 pm
Location: New England

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by veggivet »

She said it was around 5 hours less, fwiw.
If you watch your pennies, your dollars will take care of themselves.
02nz
Posts: 5565
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by 02nz »

beastykato wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:29 am Looking at reviews and getting it for $200 does seem like a good deal for this phone. And I'm outspokenly not an apple fan.

The proprietary cables really piss me off, but I'd be willing to try it for $200.

The battery also seems very small.

How easy is an iPhone to integrate for an Android user? I do not want to use Apple accounts, iTunes, etc. I'd still want to continue using my apps I'm already familiar with. Is that possible? I haven't owned an apple product for about 8 years.
All the major Google apps (Maps, Gmail, YouTube, Voice, etc.) are available for iOS. They're not as closely integrated into the OS as they are on Android, but they work just fine. You have to have an account to download apps, but nobody is forcing you to use iTunes or iCloud if you don't want to. In fact Apple has made its sandbox a bit less closed - e.g., Microsoft's OneDrive is now about as well integrated into iOS as Apple's own iCloud is.

As for proprietary cables: I would prefer USB-C but I don't see this as a huge issue. Android phones come with USB-C cables, iPhones with Lightning cables. If you break or lose either kind, replacements tend to cost about the same. Actually it's much easier to shop for Lightning cables - I look for "made by iPhone" certification and know it will work, whereas USB-C cable compatibility is a mess (not all cables support fast data or charging).
02nz
Posts: 5565
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by 02nz »

CMD1 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:15 pm Admittedly I've always used cheaper androids (Moto G's lately) and one thing I've noticed is the phones don't last longer than 2 years max it seems, whereas I've heard people keeping Iphones forever. Perhaps the high end Samsungs last forever too. I prefer lower maintenance tech and don't really want to deal with the hassle of switching to apple but if the camera is considerably better and I can do what I do now I may consider. The camera and long term performance are my only issues with my $150 androids
Long-term performance and software support are among iPhones' biggest advantages. Another poster wrote in this thread that the iPhone SE's performance advantage over comparable Android phones (or for that matter most Android flagships) aren't meaningful in real life. That may be true now, but those Android phones will lose software updates in 2 years, and the iPhone's performance advantage will allow it to still perform well as the software (both operating system and apps) get more demanding, receiving iOS updates for at least 4, probably 5-6 years. An 2016-era iPhone 6S still runs today's iOS 13 and most apps remarkably well, because its performance was much more than what was really needed in 2016. You get the same advantage with the SE, which has most of the guts of Apple's $700-$1100 (and up) flagships. As for the camera, other than the Pixel 3a (and presumably 4a) no budget Android phone will even come close to the SE.
beastykato
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by beastykato »

I'm ready to buy a couple for $185 each. At that price they really are unbeatable.

I'm a little surprised at such a strong offering by Apple, from a value perspective. Most of of their products are so overpriced I would never touch them, but I can't argue with a good deal when it is this blatant.

That tiny battery is definitely not ideal, but oh well. These are cheaper than the Moto G5 Plus and G7 Power (5000mah battery). I think I saw this battery was only like 1900mah?.

I did just see that the performance isn't close to the 11 though. It is close to the iPhone x and is very under clocked to maintain battery life. Still one of the fastest phones for $400 tho.
02nz
Posts: 5565
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by 02nz »

beastykato wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:29 am I did just see that the performance isn't close to the 11 though. It is close to the iPhone x and is very under clocked to maintain battery life. Still one of the fastest phones for $400 tho.
There's some clickbait going around based on one benchmark run that is 5% lower than the iPhone 11, pretty close for me. And that's well ahead of the XS and even further ahead of the X. And how many buyers of $400 (or $185) phones do you think care about whether their phone is exactly as fast as the flagship or only 95% as fast?

The "underclocking to maintain battery life" is speculation. I doubt the A13 in the SE is underclocked but we'll see. Every reputable review site has found performance (both benchmark and real-life) to be very close to the 11.
02nz
Posts: 5565
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by 02nz »

mxs wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:58 pm I will add a few reason why I personally prefer Android for my use.

I like having FM radio and being able to listen to it while mowing or whatever.
Androids Chromecast/Screencast better, with more apps. Chromecast itself is much cheaper than AppleTV devices.
It is much easier to plugin an Android to a PC and move files. It just acts as a hard drive, no iTunes or specific program needed.
I like doing split screen and casually playing a game while watching a movie or doing something else.

If any of the above become available on iPhones it would be a good improvement to me.
FM radio: I don't think this is included with all Android phones, some manufacturers seem to include an app but it's not part of stock Android. Anyway, there are iOS apps for it, and your station almost certainly streams over the internet.

Casting: Every video app I checked on my iPhone supports casting to Chromecast devices, works flawlessly.

File transfer: You don't need iTunes. I connect my iPhone to my Windows PC and transfer photos just like a USB drive. Even easier, I just let OneDrive do the syncing wirelessly.

Split-screen: iPadOS has this, but why would you want to use half of a phone screen to watch a movie? Actually it's a lot less than half because of the aspect ratio.

On the software side, there are some things about Android that I prefer, but there are now very few significant features that are exclusive to one or the other. And on the hardware side it's simply not even close - the iPhone SE's performance is miles ahead of any budget or even midrange Android phone.
mxs
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by mxs »

02nz wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:11 am
mxs wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:58 pm I will add a few reason why I personally prefer Android for my use.

I like having FM radio and being able to listen to it while mowing or whatever.
Androids Chromecast/Screencast better, with more apps. Chromecast itself is much cheaper than AppleTV devices.
It is much easier to plugin an Android to a PC and move files. It just acts as a hard drive, no iTunes or specific program needed.
I like doing split screen and casually playing a game while watching a movie or doing something else.

If any of the above become available on iPhones it would be a good improvement to me.
FM radio: I don't think this is included with all Android phones, some manufacturers seem to include an app but it's not part of stock Android. Anyway, there are iOS apps for it, and your station almost certainly streams over the internet.

Casting: Every video app I checked on my iPhone supports casting to Chromecast devices, works flawlessly.

File transfer: You don't need iTunes. I connect my iPhone to my Windows PC and transfer photos just like a USB drive. Even easier, I just let OneDrive do the syncing wirelessly.

Split-screen: iPadOS has this, but why would you want to use half of a phone screen to watch a movie? Actually it's a lot less than half because of the aspect ratio.

On the software side, there are some things about Android that I prefer, but there are now very few significant features that are exclusive to one or the other. And on the hardware side it's simply not even close - the iPhone SE's performance is miles ahead of any budget or even midrange Android phone.
The main use of FM Radio (I use the Motorola App) for me is professional sports games, which usually are not streamed over the internet.

Our iPhone will not Chromecast YouTube. It will do videos on Facebook, but not YouTube.

I forget what I had to do to get the iPhone to transfer files, but it requires iTunes to be updated and both the phone and PC to be restarted at least. Androids always just let you plug them in and select file transfer on the phone, very easy.

Split screen you can make the argument of why you would want to only use half the screen for anything, but the fact is I can and will if I want to do two things at once.

I am seriously considering the new G Power or Stylus, but I don't need either of them so I will either wait for them to get even cheaper ($250/$300 currently) or for the next generation. Micro SD storage is another thing I appreciate about the Moto phones, and the only thing holding me back from the Pixels.
02nz
Posts: 5565
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by 02nz »

mxs wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:52 am The main use of FM Radio (I use the Motorola App) for me is professional sports games, which usually are not streamed over the internet.
Motorola installed an app on your phone. You can install a similar app on an iPhone if you wanted to.
mxs wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:52 am Our iPhone will not Chromecast YouTube. It will do videos on Facebook, but not YouTube.
I use YouTube with Chromecast all the time, from multiple iOS devices, have never had a problem. Maybe something needs to be updated.
mxs wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:52 am I forget what I had to do to get the iPhone to transfer files, but it requires iTunes to be updated and both the phone and PC to be restarted at least. Androids always just let you plug them in and select file transfer on the phone, very easy.
You can use iTunes, but as I noted above you can absolutely transfer just like a USB drive. I do it all the time, I don't even have iTunes installed on the computer.

Nothing wrong with preferring Android, just pointing out that much of what you listed isn't actually an advantage or disadvantage for either OS.
lazydavid
Posts: 3342
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by lazydavid »

02nz wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:09 am
mxs wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:52 am The main use of FM Radio (I use the Motorola App) for me is professional sports games, which usually are not streamed over the internet.
Motorola installed an app on your phone. You can install a similar app on an iPhone if you wanted to.
Not if there's no FM radio hardware to support it. Which there isn't. That was his whole point. Up through the iPhone 6, the receiver was physically present in the chipset, but Apple disabled it in firmware so it couldn't be used. From iPhone 7 on, they physically removed it.

So yes iPhone users can receive FM radio broadcasts by installing an app...and buying an AM/FM radio. :D
mxs
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by mxs »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:25 am
02nz wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:09 am
mxs wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:52 am The main use of FM Radio (I use the Motorola App) for me is professional sports games, which usually are not streamed over the internet.
Motorola installed an app on your phone. You can install a similar app on an iPhone if you wanted to.

Not if there's no FM radio hardware to support it. Which there isn't. That was his whole point. Up through the iPhone 6, the receiver was physically present in the chipset, but Apple disabled it in firmware so it couldn't be used. From iPhone 7 on, they physically removed it.

So yes iPhone users can receive FM radio broadcasts by installing an app...and buying an AM/FM radio. :D
To my knowledge this is the heart of the issue. The iOS radio app gets the internet streaming of radio stations, which for professional sports games often switches to a national ESPN radio sports talk broadcast, not the game. MLB and others try to sell internet broadcasts of games, so you have to have the actual old school FM signal to hear it.
mxs
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by mxs »

02nz wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:09 am
mxs wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:52 am Our iPhone will not Chromecast YouTube. It will do videos on Facebook, but not YouTube.
I use YouTube with Chromecast all the time, from multiple iOS devices, have never had a problem. Maybe something needs to be updated.
mxs wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:52 am I forget what I had to do to get the iPhone to transfer files, but it requires iTunes to be updated and both the phone and PC to be restarted at least. Androids always just let you plug them in and select file transfer on the phone, very easy.
You can use iTunes, but as I noted above you can absolutely transfer just like a USB drive. I do it all the time, I don't even have iTunes installed on the computer.

Nothing wrong with preferring Android, just pointing out that much of what you listed isn't actually an advantage or disadvantage for either OS.
I have no idea why YouTube won't Chromecast for us. I even installed Google Chrome and Google Home but just won't work. Facebook videos are the only ones that work. If you know what I am missing I would be happy to fix it.

Maybe the file transfer will work going forward after the changes I did. Time will tell.

I freely admit that Apple likely has better hardware and their software is the best as long as it does what you want. The problem is that when it doesn't they have things locked down so that it is more difficult, maybe too difficult, to overcome restrictions. All of the above are my reasons to go with Android, specifically micro SD card phones. I appreciate Motorola's light touch on the OS and small things like the double chop for flashlight (moto actions I believe).
czaj
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:01 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by czaj »

Has anybody gotten the Walmart deal and have a business account with AT&T? I don’t see any business exclusions but when I try, it doesn’t recognized my AT&T information to see if I qualify for an upgrade. It requires last four of SSN which I suspect is the issue.
jjface
Posts: 3073
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by jjface »

02nz wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:15 pm
I've used Android as well, and both have their advantages. But in features the two have largely reached parity on things that most people care about (relative to all smartphone users, very few people "sideload" or even know what it is). And with the SE Apple has made iOS a lot more accessible at just the right time, and I think this will have an impact on sales and market share in ways that debates about this or that feature don't.

Well I disagree that features are near parity. You probably don't really know enough about android if you think that. But that is fine each to their own I am not calling one better than the other just recongnising that the iphone SE is not the only good choice in the price range.

I myself picked up an iphone SE from visible last night despite being an android user normally. Will cost $184 plus tax after a $200 mastercard rebate. So for that price it is a smoking deal. It will make a nice backup phone and let me facetime with the family who are stuck thinking iphones are the only phones worth buying.

There is no doubt it will make a big impact especially in the USA. But that is a good thing if android manufacturers bring their A game as well. With phones reaching $1400 it is a good that cheaper phones are so good.
mxs
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by mxs »

jjface wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:49 pm It will make a nice backup phone and let me facetime with the family who are stuck thinking iphones are the only phones worth buying.
I bugged them with Google Duo until they got it. There are so many good easy options out there now.
beastykato
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by beastykato »

jjface wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:49 pm
02nz wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:15 pm
I've used Android as well, and both have their advantages. But in features the two have largely reached parity on things that most people care about (relative to all smartphone users, very few people "sideload" or even know what it is). And with the SE Apple has made iOS a lot more accessible at just the right time, and I think this will have an impact on sales and market share in ways that debates about this or that feature don't.

Well I disagree that features are near parity. You probably don't really know enough about android if you think that. But that is fine each to their own I am not calling one better than the other just recongnising that the iphone SE is not the only good choice in the price range.

I myself picked up an iphone SE from visible last night despite being an android user normally. Will cost $184 plus tax after a $200 mastercard rebate. So for that price it is a smoking deal. It will make a nice backup phone and let me facetime with the family who are stuck thinking iphones are the only phones worth buying.

There is no doubt it will make a big impact especially in the USA. But that is a good thing if android manufacturers bring their A game as well. With phones reaching $1400 it is a good that cheaper phones are so good.
I managed to snag a red Iphone from them as well for $184. It will be my first experience back with Apple since my plastic white Macbook back in college lol (2007ish).

Regarding the underclocking I'll have to look into that article being fake, but I certainly doesn't seem to be outlandish. With such a smaller phone and area for heat dissipation it seems to be a reasonable expectation that it might have a lower power threshold than the bigger models. Apple devices tend to run like they have hot magma flowing in them as it is.
jjface
Posts: 3073
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by jjface »

mxs wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:05 pm
jjface wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:49 pm It will make a nice backup phone and let me facetime with the family who are stuck thinking iphones are the only phones worth buying.
I bugged them with Google Duo until they got it. There are so many good easy options out there now.
Yes but harder to do than it sounds :x
WhiteMaxima
Posts: 2153
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by WhiteMaxima »

No need to waste $300 for another iPhone. Have the original iPhone SE (can stand on it's edge, phone jack). Can do anything the SE2 do. I use DSLR to take serious photo, computer for browsing. Save your $300.
Post Reply