Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DoTheMath

Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by DoTheMath » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:31 pm

Since from time to time there are discussions about getting a new Iphone on the cheap, I thought some folks might be interested in the new Iphone SE which was released today. It's basically an Iphone 8 but with upgraded internals and starts at $399.

It looks to be a really good deal for those who don't need the top of the line.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir

Beach

Re: Apple Released a New Low-cost Iphone

Post by Beach » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:32 pm

I have an old SE currently but it will be the size of an Iphone 7/8 which is disappointing. I like the small size of the old SE.

They dropped the ball on the sizing IMO. I'll still upgrade but grumpy about it.
Last edited by Beach on Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:32 pm

DoTheMath wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:31 pm
Since from time to time there are discussions about getting a new Iphone on the cheap, I thought some folks might be interested in the new Iphone SE which was released today. It's basically an Iphone 8 but with upgraded internals and starts at $399.

Thanks, I have been looking at used iPhone 7's, but a new 8 would be preferable.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:34 pm

IMO, 64GB for $399 is not sufficient storage. Other options are 128GB storage for $449 and 256GB for $549. I think the 128GB model for $449 is the sweet spot.
Wiki

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:37 pm

One thing that's still unclear to me after reading various articles is whether the camera is the same as the one in the iPhone 11 generation, other than having a single lens. The new SE does have Portrait Mode and "next-gen HDR," like the 11, but like the 8 it does not have "Night Mode" and "Auto Adjustments," though I don't even know what the latter means. But regardless it's a good value if the screen size and form factor work for you, as it offers faster performance (and likely longer period of future software support) than just about any Android flagship at twice the price.

A big part of the value of iPhones is the length of software updates. The original Pixel was introduced in late 2016, and software updates ended 3 years later. The 2016 iPhone (7/7 Plus) is likely to get software updates for at least another 2-3 years, maybe longer. And most Android phones don't get updates for as long as the Pixel line.
Last edited by 02nz on Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:37 pm

Beach wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:32 pm
I have an old SE currently but it will be the size of an Iphone 7/8 which is disappointing. I like the small size of the old SE.

They dropped the ball on the sizing IMO. I'll still upgrade but grumpy about it.
I wanted to get an SE when upgrading from 5S, but SE was discontinued so I went with 7. While the 7 is larger than the old SE it's still pretty good. The 7Plus, 8Plus form factor is way too big for me. I'd be happy with the new SE now that I'm used to the size of the 7.
Wiki

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:38 pm

DSInvestor wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:34 pm
IMO, 64GB for $399 is not sufficient storage. Other options are 128GB storage for $449 and 256GB for $549. I think the 128GB model for $449 is the sweet spot.
Depends on the user. Cloud storage and streaming make local storage capacity less important than before, for most users. For example, I used to store about 30GB of music on my phone, but no need now with Tidal (although I can choose to download albums for offline listening, which of course uses up storage). I use my iPhone 11 a lot and haven't come close to filling the 64GB (in reality less, as the OS eats up a chunk). But if I were buying a new phone today I'd spend the extra $50 for 128GB.

And while Apple used to overcharge for storage upgrades, give credit where credit is due, the upgrade from 64GB to 128GB is very reasonable at $50. Google doesn't even offer the option on its midrange phones (like the 3a), while on the flagships you pay $100 to go from 64 to 128GB. Microsoft is the worst - on the Surface Pro 7 line, the cost to upgrade from 128GB to 256GB is $300, triple what Apple charges on iPhones and iPads.
Last edited by 02nz on Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:00 pm

I think phones have gotten ridiculously expensive, so I think this is a great phone at a reasonable price point. We currently are using 3 Motorola Z3s and a Pixel 3a (all purchased for under $300) that I hope to get a couple of more years out of, but it’s good to see Apple enter the mid-priced market. My son bought an original SE on eBay for $70 recently just to play around with and likes it so much he’s been using it instead of the one of the Motorolas.

mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:05 pm

This is a solid phone. It has the speed of the current flagship iPhones. Battery life and screen of the iPhone 8, and the camera of the XR. It's gonna sell a bunch even in this economy.

arf30

Post by arf30 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:11 pm

They're going to sell a zillion of these.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:21 pm

Good move by Apple. A much cheaper phone might draw in new buyers. Then later on the new buyers might be more willing to move up to more expensive phones.

I will stick with my Samsung Galaxy S9. I started with an S3, then an S5. I only paid $480 for the phone when it first came out. Freak sale at Best Buy, available for only a day or so. One color.

I'm the only one in our extended family who hasn't gone over to the dark side. Maybe one day, but not soon.

DW went over a few weeks ago so she could FaceTime with the rest of the family.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Poorman

Post by Poorman » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:26 pm

DoTheMath wrote:

I don't need top of line and get by for $200 android phone. Over 2 1/2 years on this one. When apple gets down to $250 i'll consider

terran

Post by terran » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:50 pm

Thanks for posting. We usually buy used and I've had great luck with my 5s, but my wife not so much, so this might be a good option. Her current iPhone 7 is on the fritz and won't connect to the cellular network. Seems to be a pretty expensive part as the most likely cause, so I was surprised when filling out the trade-in tool online that she would get full value for it because none of the condition questions asked about connectivity functionality. Does anyone have experience with Apple's trade-in policy when it comes to phones that are in good condition in most areas, but poor condition in an area that they don't ask about it? I'm wondering if I should expect to get full trade-in value, or if they'll reduce it once we mail it in and there's something wrong with it that wasn't included in the trade-in tool?

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:00 pm

Poorman wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:26 pm
DoTheMath wrote:

I don't need top of line and get by for $200 android phone. Over 2 1/2 years on this one. When apple gets down to $250 i'll consider
Don't hold your breathe. They don't want to be and never have been in the budget market.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:14 pm

terran wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:50 pm
Thanks for posting. We usually buy used and I've had great luck with my 5s, but my wife not so much, so this might be a good option. Her current iPhone 7 is on the fritz and won't connect to the cellular network. Seems to be a pretty expensive part as the most likely cause, so I was surprised when filling out the trade-in tool online that she would get full value for it because none of the condition questions asked about connectivity functionality. Does anyone have experience with Apple's trade-in policy when it comes to phones that are in good condition in most areas, but poor condition in an area that they don't ask about it? I'm wondering if I should expect to get full trade-in value, or if they'll reduce it once we mail it in and there's something wrong with it that wasn't included in the trade-in tool?
Kind of funny that they don't have a catchall "other" category!

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:15 pm

02nz wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:38 pm
DSInvestor wrote:
Depends on the user. Cloud storage and streaming make local storage capacity important than before, for most users.
[...]
I'm assuming you meant less important ...

terran

Post by terran » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:18 pm

an_asker wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:14 pm
terran wrote:
Well, they do ask if the phone is in good condition to which I responded "no" but then all the followup questions about condition (screen, camera, body, etc) are in fine condition on this phone, I answered that they were all good. A chat agent agreed that it was strange, but that the tool was correct since it didn't ask about network connectivity. I'm still skeptical, so I'd like to hear from someone with actual experience trading in a phone with a condition problem not covered by the tool.

rob

Post by rob » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:56 pm

Apple and myself have a definition disconnect on the phrase "low-cost"
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:07 pm

Poorman wrote:
DoTheMath wrote:

Nothing wrong with those. But the $400 iPhone gets you the same internals as the $700-$1100 iPhones, with performance well above the latest and greatest Android phones. And it will get software enhancements (not just security updates) for 2-3 times the length of time as most Android phones, and it has much better resale and trade-in value. I think Apple's computers are overpriced, but the iPhones are actually good values.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:09 pm

terran wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:18 pm
an_asker wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:14 pm
terran wrote:
Well, they do ask if the phone is in good condition to which I responded "no" but then all the followup questions about condition (screen, camera, body, etc) are in fine condition on this phone, I answered that they were all good. A chat agent agreed that it was strange, but that the tool was correct since it didn't ask about network connectivity. I'm still skeptical, so I'd like to hear from someone with actual experience trading in a phone with a condition problem not covered by the tool.
Your phone is in good condition, you're just holding it wrong. :wink:

classicindexer

Post by classicindexer » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:51 pm

terran wrote:
Hi Terran - Have you looked into whether or not your wife’s iPhone 7 falls under this special service program (recall)?
https://support.apple.com/iphone-7-no-service

jjface

Post by jjface » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:54 pm

02nz wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:07 pm
Poorman wrote:
DoTheMath wrote:

Nothing wrong with those. But the $400 iPhone gets you the same internals as the $700-$1100 iPhones, with performance well above the latest and greatest Android phones. And it will get software enhancements (not just security updates) for 2-3 times the length of time as most Android phones, and it has much better resale and trade-in value. I think Apple's computers are overpriced, but the iPhones are actually good values.

As far as software enhancements go apple fall way behind. Android has many features that apple are years away from. It is also easier to add software features to android via 3rd parties since it is more open. So no that argument is very wrong. The iphone se doesn't even have a night camera mode which was introduced in the iphone 11 series (very late after google and the rest had it for over a year or two). The older models should have gotten it and there is no reason the se couldn't have gotten it but apple intentionally withheld it to encourage purchasing higher priced phones. Not good. Older models of google pixel phones for instance received night mode and other camera enhancements a year or more after launch.

Security updates are a strength. You should be good for 5 years. Pixels are good for 3. Qualcomm is to blame with android as they won't allow firmware updates past 3 years. $$$ reasons. I am surprised people hold on to their phones for so long though. Not 2-3 times as you say but yes apple are ahead with security updates..

The $400 se focused on the chipset yes. Apple's own so makes sense to do so. Other than that everything else is pretty much ripped from the iphone 8 which is almost THREE years old. Very lazy and cheap. The camera will get some software tweaks but incremental upgrade at best. The design, screen size and resolution and tech etc are all generations behind. The pixel 3a for example has a lower powered chip but runs very well. Most regular users wouodn't notice the difference between using it and the iphone se. And that is a mid range. The latest and greatest have performance on par with the latest and greatest iphones. It also has a great camera, modern amoled screen and things like a headphone jack and fast charger in the box. Most people won't consider it slow and the 4a should be out soon and should be even better.

Iphones hold their value well and last for up to 5 years or so - so even if overpriced they can be good value. That is true.

This will appeal to lots of people as they don't need much. That is a good thing. It will sell millions despite the rehash but at least they offer something at an entry price point.

telemark

Post by telemark » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:21 pm

02nz wrote:
DSInvestor wrote:
Depends on the user. Cloud storage and streaming make local storage capacity less important than before, for most users. For example, I used to store about 30GB of music on my phone, but no need now with Tidal (although I can choose to download albums for offline listening, which of course uses up storage). I use my iPhone 11 a lot and haven't come close to filling the 64GB (in reality less, as the OS eats up a chunk). But if I were buying a new phone today I'd spend the extra $50 for 128GB.

And while Apple used to overcharge for storage upgrades, give credit where credit is due, the upgrade from 64GB to 128GB is very reasonable at $50. Google doesn't even offer the option on its midrange phones (like the 3a), while on the flagships you pay $100 to go from 64 to 128GB. Microsoft is the worst - on the Surface Pro 7 line, the cost to upgrade from 128GB to 256GB is $300, triple what Apple charges on iPhones and iPads.
No problem, this is what the SD card slot is for. Oh wait, it's Apple :(

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:26 pm

telemark wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:21 pm
02nz wrote:
DSInvestor wrote:

Good luck finding the SD card slot on the Pixel!

jibantik

Post by jibantik » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:27 pm

I guess when you charge 900 dollars for a monitor stand you can claim 400 is low cost for a phone :mrgreen:

siker

Post by siker » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:33 pm

i still have the old se because i love having the earphone jack, so i can keep multiple earphones around for listening to podcasts, not worry about charging a bluetooth headphone, or hunt for it when I misplace it. I do not look forward to upgrading my phone now, as I will lose the earphone jack.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:56 pm

Bought a new Motorola G7 in December for $161 with tax and shipping. Used new / refurbished it's more like $100. $400 seems obsurdly expensive for a comoditized gadget.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:44 pm

Just bought a brand new case for my iPhone SE; the old one broke. I’ve had this since they came out. Love the size. The battery’s still OK. I’m holding on until Apple comes out with a compact foldable.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:56 pm

I still have an iPhone 6 with an Apple replacement battery that requires multiple chargings per day. Reading about the SE2 has caused me to reconsider waiting for the 12 to come out later this year. From what I read, other than camera differences and no facial unlock feature, neither of which are important to me, there isn't a lot I'm giving up by going with the SE2.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:36 am

Kenkat wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:00 pm
I think phones have gotten ridiculously expensive, so I think this is a great phone at a reasonable price point. We currently are using 3 Motorola Z3s and a Pixel 3a (all purchased for under $300) that I hope to get a couple of more years out of, but it’s good to see Apple enter the mid-priced market. My son bought an original SE on eBay for $70 recently just to play around with and likes it so much he’s been using it instead of the one of the Motorolas.
Actually I am amazed of how cheap are phones nowadays.
There are tens, maybe hundred of thousand of people, most of them very smart, who work for many years for what is in a phone. And this is only the hardware.
For 4-800$ you buy a computer, GPS/Bluetooth/ Wifi chip, decent camera, good quality screen, LTE modem.
My last P&S camera was 400$ and I don't think it was much better that what you get now in a good phone.
The LTE modem by itself it's so complicated and business is so tough that Intel couldn't make a good one after many acquisitions over many years with 3000 people. They were selling them to Apple at (-10$) a chip.
The RF front end is very complicated and made with exotic manufacturing processes.
A GPS device with maps is also at least 100$, sometimes much more.
A WiFi router is tens to 100$ or more.
A computer with a screen and a battery as good as laptop several years ago.
All this in a compact package with a pretty expensive battery good for a day or two.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:21 am

lthenderson wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:56 pm
I still have an iPhone 6 with an Apple replacement battery that requires multiple chargings per day. Reading about the SE2 has caused me to reconsider waiting for the 12 to come out later this year. From what I read, other than camera differences and no facial unlock feature, neither of which are important to me, there isn't a lot I'm giving up by going with the SE2.
I'm a bit concerned about battery life on the new SE2. I'm waiting to see some real user experience. The question would be how it would compare to my wife's old original SE in moderate (non-video playing) usage. The larger size has tradeoffs, the whizzy cpu is pretty much a don't care, a better camera is a nice-to-have. We may wait another year or two.

Momus

Post by Momus » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:28 am

Oneplus 7 pro is going around <$300 used, for a 2019 device. It is literally miles ahead of the new $400 iPhone SE. I'd never buy this weak SE mediocre phone. But, to each his own.

valleyrock

Post by valleyrock » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:32 am

Pixel 4 is now on sale at $499, unlocked (or for the main carriers). I buy them unlocked and own the thing, swap out the sim and there you go.

shess

Post by shess » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:42 am

Beach wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:32 pm

I've been carrying a Moto X4, which I eventually adapted to size-wise, so I'm kind of excited by this device, it seems like another chance to get an adequate device in a smaller form factor. Less excited by the battery capacity and screen resolution, though.

Momus

Post by Momus » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:03 am

valleyrock wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:32 am
Pixel 4 is now on sale at $499, unlocked (or for the main carriers). I buy them unlocked and own the thing, swap out the sim and there you go.
I approve this message. Hella cheap for flagship.

telemark

Post by telemark » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:20 am

02nz wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:26 pm
telemark wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:21 pm
Good luck finding the SD card slot on the Pixel!
Yes, Google is as bad as Apple here. Which is why I use a Motorola phone.

Beach

Post by Beach » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:12 am

Momus wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:03 am
valleyrock wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:32 am
I approve this message. Hella cheap for flagship.
You can buy these phones directly from Apple unlocked as well.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:18 am

Momus wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:28 am
Oneplus 7 pro is going around <$300 used, for a 2019 device. It is literally miles ahead of the new $400 iPhone SE. I'd never buy this weak SE mediocre phone. But, to each his own.
Not 100% sure what’s mediocre about it? It’s not a flagship phone. Sure it doesn’t have an edge to edge 4K display and 6 cameras, but if the camera is the same as the one on my XR then it’s a damn good camera. It also has the fastest mobile processor available. Also, not everyone wants a 6.7” screen.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:48 am

Starfish wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:36 am
Kenkat wrote:
There are tens, maybe hundred of thousand of people, most of them very smart, who work for many years for what is in a phone. And this is only the hardware.
For 4-800$ you buy a computer, GPS/Bluetooth/ Wifi chip, decent camera, good quality screen, LTE modem.
My last P&S camera was 400$ and I don't think it was much better that what you get now in a good phone.
The LTE modem by itself it's so complicated and business is so tough that Intel couldn't make a good one after many acquisitions over many years with 3000 people. They were selling them to Apple at (-10$) a chip.
The RF front end is very complicated and made with exotic manufacturing processes.
All this in a compact package with a pretty expensive battery good for a day or two.
Starfish,

Agreed, the modern smartphone is a technological marvel in many ways. Now, we don't necessarily need all the bells and whistles that come in a smart phone, but there is a lot of impressive technology there. Buy a mid-range smartphone and keep it for three to five years, it's not such a bad deal.

Momus

Post by Momus » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:13 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:18 am
Momus wrote:
Not 100% sure what’s mediocre about it? It’s not a flagship phone. Sure it doesn’t have an edge to edge 4K display and 6 cameras, but if the camera is the same as the one on my XR then it’s a damn good camera. It also has the fastest mobile processor available. Also, not everyone wants a 6.7” screen.
Everything is mediocre besides the processor to start.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:28 am

IMO, Apple's iOS has an edge over Android. Current generation iOS 13 is supported on iPhone 6S, SE and all later models. This support for older models is a significant advantage. I have an iPhone 7 and my wife has the old iPhone SE. Both running iOS 13 and both are near the bottom of the list of supported devices and we see no performance issues.

On the hardware side, support from apple is great. My wife plays softball and a freak foul ball went into the dugout hit her bag and smashed her iPhone screen. She made an appt at an Apple store, got a replacement iPhone that evening and was back in business. I don't think this would have been as fast with many other brands. My neighbor dropped her new samsung phone (very expensive) and it wasn't a smooth replacement process.
Last edited by DSInvestor on Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:29 am

Momus wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:13 am
Jags4186 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:18 am
Momus wrote:
Everything is mediocre besides the processor to start.
Define mediocre? It's not a flagship phone. Every phone in the $300-$400 range has compromises. Compared to any *new* android phone in the $300-$400 range, the iPhone SE is quite favorable.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:29 am

TN_Boy wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:48 am
Starfish wrote:
Kenkat wrote:
Starfish,

Agreed, the modern smartphone is a technological marvel in many ways. Now, we don't necessarily need all the bells and whistles that come in a smart phone, but there is a lot of impressive technology there. Buy a mid-range smartphone and keep it for three to five years, it's not such a bad deal.
I just don’t want to pay in excess of $1000 for that which is where most of the “flagship” phones are priced. Too much risk to carry that around in my pocket all day long.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:35 am

Kenkat wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:29 am
TN_Boy wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:48 am
Starfish wrote:
Kenkat wrote:
Starfish,

I just don’t want to pay in excess of $1000 for that which is where most of the “flagship” phones are priced. Too much risk to carry that around in my pocket all day long.
I've never bought one of the flagship phones, so that is not an issue for me.

I think a $1,000 is a lot for a phone, and I like the fancy gadgets. Though I don't like the huge phones ..... they don't FIT into my pockets.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:35 am

DSInvestor wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:28 am
IMO, Apple's iOS has an edge over Android. Current generation iOS 13 is supported on iPhone 6/6S, SE and all later models. This support for older models is a significant advantage. I have an iPhone 7 and my wife has the old iPhone SE. Both running iOS 13 and both are near the bottom of the list of supported devices and we see no performance issues.
Generally agree but a correction: iOS 13 is supported on 6S (and SE which is largely identical internally) and later, but NOT on the 6, which only got updates through iOS 12.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:37 am

02nz wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:35 am
DSInvestor wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:28 am
IMO, Apple's iOS has an edge over Android. Current generation iOS 13 is supported on iPhone 6/6S, SE and all later models. This support for older models is a significant advantage. I have an iPhone 7 and my wife has the old iPhone SE. Both running iOS 13 and both are near the bottom of the list of supported devices and we see no performance issues.
Generally agree but a correction: iOS 13 is supported on 6S (and SE which is largely identical internally) and later, but NOT on the 6, which only got updates through iOS 12.
Thanks. My mistake. will correct above.
Wiki

Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:05 am

I started with the 3S in 2008/9 year. Thought it was great. The somewhere around 2012 or 2013 went to a “top of the line” Motorola Android for 2 cycles until 2017. This was because I wanted more “business” friendly activities such as spreadsheets and the larger screen. I found out during these years that reliability of the OS went to nil at the end and absolutely required an “upgrade” to a new phone every 2.5-3 years.

Went back to iPhone 8S for me, 8 for the kid and 10S for spouse in 2017 (along with the iPads and Mac). It’s just to easy, reliable, and now completely embedded within our daily lives. The Apple ecosystem is very sticky and I don’t foresee our family leaving. The new SE is probably what will be best fit for the kid (now 9 years) in another year or two.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:07 am

DSInvestor wrote:
+1

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:09 am

Good timing Apple
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:13 am

lthenderson wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:56 pm
The 12 may not come out this year due to mfg problems in China from CV.