Eating out after lock-down is lifted

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
squirm

Eating out after lock-down is lifted

Post by squirm » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:50 am

We have a couple birthdays planned this summer, but not sure if eating out and drinking is going to be all that fun now. Even if restaurants are required to operate at half capacity (higher prices I would think?), it seems nerve wracking to sit and be touching tables that others were just sitting at esp while eating. Seems to kill the mood. Anyone else feel similar? So I guess we can just order and bring the food home, but that sorta kills the mood too. We have a couple family members turning 80, so this makes even more of an issue. They like to drink too. Any ideas for a couple that are turning 80 who like to go out and drink?

TheOscarGuy

Re: Eating out after lock-down is lifted

Post by TheOscarGuy » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:57 am

squirm wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:50 am
We have a couple birthdays planned this summer, but not sure if eating out and drinking is going to be all that fun now. Even if restaurants are required to operate at half capacity (higher prices I would think?), it seems nerve wracking to sit and be touching tables that others were just sitting at esp while eating. Seems to kill the mood. Anyone else feel similar? So I guess we can just order and bring the food home, but that sorta kills the mood too. We have a couple family members turning 80, so this makes even more of an issue. They like to drink too. Any ideas for a couple that are turning 80 who like to go out and drink?
Its difficult to tell as of now. You are right in raising all these concerns, things may change by then: summer (warmer) weather, wider availability of anti-body tests may change individuals' outlook how they approach it.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:00 am

Going to any public and potentially close proximity place is going to be strange and awkward until a Covid-19 vaccine is widely available. Nothing else is going to change this very bad situation regardless of the blustering wishful thinking that is going on. Ordering take out is risky, and we would not do it at our house as long as we have periodic safe access to adequate groceries and can easily cook our own meals.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:04 am

I wouldn't worry about these things until the week before. By then, the answer will be clearer.

Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:38 am

Reasonable concerns. One strategy might be to pick a place that opens for dinner at 5:00 and be there a few minutes afterward. I sometimes do this anyway as I dislike crowded places. It annoys me that they usually try to get me to sit at the window so others can see there are people there. I respond by saying I do not like to sit at the window and they always sit me elsewhere.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:55 am

squirm wrote:
Any ideas for a couple that are turning 80 who like to go out and drink?
Cook a nice meal for them. Bring booze.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

Optimistic

Post by Optimistic » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:59 am

jabberwockOG wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:00 am
Going to any public and potentially close proximity place is going to be strange and awkward until a Covid-19 vaccine is widely available. Nothing else is going to change this very bad situation regardless of the blustering wishful thinking that is going on. Ordering take out is risky, and we would not do it at our house as long as we have periodic safe access to adequate groceries and can easily cook our own meals.
According to this NPR article, eating take-out is safe.

mhc

Post by mhc » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:23 pm

Optimistic wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:59 am
jabberwockOG wrote:
Yes, eating food is safe, but that does not mean getting take-out is safe. The article does point out that the risk is in getting the take-out not the food. Since one must get the take out to eat the take out, there is still risk in take-out.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:25 pm

If they're and 80 enjoy eating out and drinking, more power to them. Live life to the fullest...don't sit at home for the rest of your days.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:26 pm

Jeez, if "the mood" is so easily killed by take-out, what else gets killed? Nope, I don't feel similar.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

MNGopher

Post by MNGopher » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:29 pm

Optimistic wrote:
jabberwockOG wrote:
It's only as safe as the food preparer, who may or may not cough on your food or food container, properly wash their hands, etc.

Living Free

Post by Living Free » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:51 pm

I propose a BBQ

btenny

Post by btenny » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:06 pm

Invite all your relatives (young and old) to a combined set down dinner and cocktail party. I call this a Roman or Italian feast because I go to one about once a year. The food and drink and fun are just wonderful. The conversation is great. It usually lasts for 4 hours or more. It includes appetizers and pre-dinner wine or some special cocktails and some catch up talk. Then we move on to a set down dinner of 6++ courses including sea food, pasta (usually lasagna) , beef, ham, and chicken and loads of veggies and bread. And each course is accompanied with a wine course. Then after dinner enjoy a nice dessert and some aperitifs or an espresso. Then we set around the dinner table and drink and talk for at least another 1-2 hours. Doing a big party like this celebrates a fun occasion and will be remembered a long time. Buy and cook all the food yourself with help from others as needed. It is separate and safe.

At the party I attend the hosts turns their entire living room into a giant ultra long dinning table. It sets about 16. One year she set up two tables and had 22 guests. She uses her regular table and adds some big long folding banquet tables set end to end with her table. Then she has some giant white table clothes to make it like a nice banquet. She also sets up a separate table in the family room next to the kitchen for appetizers. She opens several bottles of wine before everyone arrives. She has a special espresso machine. Her husband is from Italy and he loves to cook. She likes to cook as well. Her son helps with serving. So it is just a big family dinner. The only downside is the big cost for that much food and wine. Plus it takes a week to do all the set up work and cook all the food.

Enjoy. Good Luck.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:11 pm

Several of our favorite restaurants closed, as their food just does not transfer to take out well, and posted they are currently redesigning their table positioning, groups, for more social distance (not allowing for more than 10 to a party) cleaning, and getting ready for safe opening when it is time. Maybe look for this type of place.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:13 pm

Wilderness Librarian wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:38 am
Reasonable concerns. One strategy might be to pick a place that opens for dinner at 5:00 and be there a few minutes afterward. I sometimes do this anyway as I dislike crowded places. It annoys me that they usually try to get me to sit at the window so others can see there are people there. I respond by saying I do not like to sit at the window and they always sit me elsewhere.
Most places here are open all day (wish we did have more that close during afternoons). And we love to sit at a window rather than middle of the room or the back wall. Have to fight for a window in some cases.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:43 pm

Learn how to cook or become friends with someone who does. More fun than out and cheaper.

Our eating out has declined 100% because of coronavirus, but only slightly. Like from 2% of the time to 0%.

JT

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:55 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:26 pm
Jeez, if "the mood" is so easily killed by take-out, what else gets killed? Nope, I don't feel similar.
You really can't see any difference between sitting down to a nice meal, having people serve you, refill your drinks, warm food straight from the kitchen, as opposed to getting food in a styrofoam box that is all smashed together and luke-warm (if you are lucky) by the time you get home?

I don't mind take-out, but there certainly is a different "mood" to dining in a nice restaurant.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:57 pm

btenny wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:06 pm
Invite all your relatives (young and old) to a combined set down dinner and cocktail party. I call this a Roman or Italian feast because I go to one about once a year. The food and drink and fun are just wonderful. The conversation is great. It usually lasts for 4 hours or more. It includes appetizers and pre-dinner wine or some special cocktails and some catch up talk. Then we move on to a set down dinner of 6++ courses including sea food, pasta (usually lasagna) , beef, ham, and chicken and loads of veggies and bread. And each course is accompanied with a wine course. Then after dinner enjoy a nice dessert and some aperitifs or an espresso. Then we set around the dinner table and drink and talk for at least another 1-2 hours. Doing a big party like this celebrates a fun occasion and will be remembered a long time. Buy and cook all the food yourself with help from others as needed. It is separate and safe.

At the party I attend the hosts turns their entire living room into a giant ultra long dinning table. It sets about 16. One year she set up two tables and had 22 guests. She uses her regular table and adds some big long folding banquet tables set end to end with her table. Then she has some giant white table clothes to make it like a nice banquet. She also sets up a separate table in the family room next to the kitchen for appetizers. She opens several bottles of wine before everyone arrives. She has a special espresso machine. Her husband is from Italy and he loves to cook. She likes to cook as well. Her son helps with serving. So it is just a big family dinner. The only downside is the big cost for that much food and wine. Plus it takes a week to do all the set up work and cook all the food.

Enjoy. Good Luck.
That many people in your home touching stuff is probably MORE dangerous than a restaurant...

If we're still worried about coronavirus.

(And bolded is a pretty serious downside - sounds like you enjoy it because someone else is doing all the cooking and prep work)
Last edited by HomerJ on Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”

rich126

Post by rich126 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:58 pm

I'm someone who eats out way too often. For many years it had to be 400+ times (every work day for lunch, plus frequent dinners out and an occasional breakfast). Probably not healthy (quantities too large, food cooked in grease, etc) so I have a lot of experience as a customer. And have talked/watched a lot of going ons at restaurants (anything from fast food to higher end steak houses) and have been surprised that more people don't get sick.

Tables often are poorly cleaned (same rag used over and over, spots constantly missed), fruit for drinks largely handled by hands that touch money, skin, etc. (i.e., rarely used gloves), bare hands holding plates of food and at times actually touching portions of the food, etc. And I don't usually get to see what goes on in the kitchen (and probably am better off not knowing).

I guess our bodies are generally pretty good at handling stuff. The table wipe down certainly can be a big concern right now.

I'm trying to be somewhat careful by avoiding touching doors and stuff directly with my hands and instead use a napkin or something else, washing my hands frequently, avoiding getting too close to people but some stuff people are doing, I could never do (clean shoes, wash down everything I buy, etc.).

I miss going out and people watching, having a drink and some HH food. The sad part is that I don't know when or if this is ever truly over. Vaccines don't seem likely, it is more of a matter of whether your body can handle the virus or if it can't. Maybe they can find better/more reliable treatment.

I'm sure more than a few restaurant owners are equally worried. If you say reduce seating by 50%, I don't see the business surviving by increasing prices by 50%. People enjoy going out but prices do matter and if that $15, 20, 30 meal becomes $22, 30, 45 that would make eating home much more likely.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:00 pm

When I eat take-out, I am able to set the mood by serving up onto pre-heated dishes set on a tablecloth in the dining room with wine glasses, wine, candles, etc. Or not. It's the people that are present for me; not the restaurant.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:06 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:00 pm
When I eat take-out, I am able to set the mood by serving up onto pre-heated dishes set on a tablecloth in the dining room with wine glasses, wine, candles, etc. Or not. It's the people that are present for me; not the restaurant.
But you can see how other people might be different from you, right? Right?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:07 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:06 pm
But you can see how other people might be different from you, right? Right?
Right! RIGHT!

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:09 pm

I will start eating out again as soon as I can, reduced capacity or not, and I have no concerns about doing it. I am looking forward to it.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:39 pm

My husband and I used to really enjoy going to restaurants. We went for the atmosphere and people as much as the food and drink. We have a few friends who own restaurants and we always enjoyed going to their restaurants and seeing them and enjoying a nice dinner. Now that I have to wait in a line with 20 other people wearing masks just to get into a grocery store where almost everyone is wearing gloves and many people avoid eye contact I think there may be a change in the way I feel about eating out. Psychologically, I think I’m done with restaurants for a while because I don’t think it will be the same. Actually, we’ve adapted to going to zero restaurants pretty easily. We are cooking really nice dinners at home and saving a lot of money in the process. If I were in the OP’s situation I would invite my relatives/friends for a nice dinner at home with very good food and drinks with candles and music, etc., and make my home the restaurant. It could be even nicer and very memorable as you will have to put a lot more effort into it. :beer

megabad

Post by megabad » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:49 pm

Find the friend with biggest yard. Do it there? (assuming lockdowns are lifted by the time your party is). I don’t think the cheap booths and decorations are why people enjoy eating out but rather the social aspect so a back yard works fine and provides lots of space. I would also plan on only serving single serve closed drinks and only have one person serving people (food and drink). In general, if I was partying with an 80 year old right now, I would have to defer to them on what is acceptable because that might be a risk that many are not willing to take at all anyway. But grandmas be tough and stubborn sometimes so they might be down for some popping of bottles and enjoying of libations.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:30 pm

Optimistic wrote:
jabberwockOG wrote:
I understand what the article says on a theoretical level. I know enough about the typical kitchen and restaurant operations and staffing to know that eating take out restaurant food is absolutely not safe given how infectious this virus is and that its symptoms are often minor or non existent when someone is actively shedding virus.

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:42 am

I virtually don't eat in restaurants anyway. I want complete control of food quality/ingredients and I don't like eating with other people. But there's no way I would eat in a restaurant in the near-term future until the virus has basically disappeared for a long period.

Why am I afraid? I listened to a doctor describing the typical "horrific suffering" prior to death by the virus.

When eating at the same table, in the same room, in the same house becomes old--and it does--I simply skip eating for a while until it gets interesting again.

jeroly

Post by jeroly » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:00 am

This is my personal opinion and not necessarily the 'right' way to do it.
(My personal opinion, by the way, is that NOBODY knows the 'right' way to do it - even the epidemiological experts do not have the information necessary to render infallible prognostications about what will happen next week, let alone in a few months. That being said...)

I don't think that the coronavirus emergency is going away any time soon.
I can imagine that there may be restaurants open by August or perhaps earlier, but... that doesn't mean they'll be safe for members of highly vulnerable populations which certainly include your heavy-drinking eighty-year-old celebrants.

The only way I would consider doing a group birthday party would be under the following conditions:

1. Everybody who is to attend the party MUST undergo a three week (okay, 2 1/2 weeks at a minimum) quarantine just prior to the party.

2. The party is held in a location where there is complete separation from anybody who has not been quarantining. This probably means it needs to be held in someone's private residence.

3. The location for the party must be completely disinfected prior to the party - all surfaces wiped with bleach etc.

4. All containers for items related to the party must be disinfected upon being brought to the site of the party.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:31 am

Even in the best of times some restaurants have difficulty meeting health regulations. Until there is a vaccine, I'm simply not going out to eat. Our family is dealing with this now as my nephew has met a wonderful woman and is postponing the wedding. I think my sister-in-law who has been waiting for this day, he's now 40, is finally accepting that she may not even meet the bride until after the wedding when this pandemic is over.

For reports by state on restaurant inspections, before the pandemic:

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/restaura ... your-area/

winterfan

Post by winterfan » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:13 am

btenny wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:06 pm
Invite all your relatives (young and old) to a combined set down dinner and cocktail party. I call this a Roman or Italian feast because I go to one about once a year.
I wish I could attend one of these parties! Sounds like so much fun.

As for the restaurants, I can't wait to go back out to eat. I like cooking, but I love sitting down and someone brings me a cocktail or pours me a glass of wine. My DH prefers to eat at home, but he doesn't do the cooking or meal planning.

Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:11 am

mptfan wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:09 pm
I will start eating out again as soon as I can, reduced capacity or not, and I have no concerns about doing it. I am looking forward to it.
Me too... I have missed eating out so much, especially sitting out on a patio enjoying happy hour.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:19 am

Well, if you're octogenarians, I can't imagine the risk is worth it. Even after the lock-down is lifted, the risk profile won't change unless there's substantial herd immunity or a vaccine or if like some other coronaviruses, it just disappears by the summer.

A compromise would be to order the food you want but eat it at home.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:31 am

rich126 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:58 pm
I'm someone who eats out way too often. For many years it had to be 400+ times (every work day for lunch, plus frequent dinners out and an occasional breakfast). Probably not healthy (quantities too large, food cooked in grease, etc) so I have a lot of experience as a customer. And have talked/watched a lot of going ons at restaurants (anything from fast food to higher end steak houses) and have been surprised that more people don't get sick.

Tables often are poorly cleaned (same rag used over and over, spots constantly missed), fruit for drinks largely handled by hands that touch money, skin, etc. (i.e., rarely used gloves), bare hands holding plates of food and at times actually touching portions of the food, etc. And I don't usually get to see what goes on in the kitchen (and probably am better off not knowing).

I guess our bodies are generally pretty good at handling stuff. The table wipe down certainly can be a big concern right now.

I'm trying to be somewhat careful by avoiding touching doors and stuff directly with my hands and instead use a napkin or something else, washing my hands frequently, avoiding getting too close to people but some stuff people are doing, I could never do (clean shoes, wash down everything I buy, etc.).

I miss going out and people watching, having a drink and some HH food. The sad part is that I don't know when or if this is ever truly over. Vaccines don't seem likely, it is more of a matter of whether your body can handle the virus or if it can't. Maybe they can find better/more reliable treatment.

I'm sure more than a few restaurant owners are equally worried. If you say reduce seating by 50%, I don't see the business surviving by increasing prices by 50%. People enjoy going out but prices do matter and if that $15, 20, 30 meal becomes $22, 30, 45 that would make eating home much more likely.

Vaccines don't seem likely? Ever?

Kruser64

Post by Kruser64 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:22 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:19 am
Well, if you're octogenarians, I can't imagine the risk is worth it.
Flip side to that, I will quote my octogenarian uncle: "At my age I'm going to eat as much bacon as I want and I don't care about the consequences."

-Kruser64

MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:15 pm

rich126 wrote:

Humans are very hearty. Americans are completely spoiled when it comes to things like cleanliness and food prep - as anyone who has spent significant time overseas can attest (basically anywhere except Western Europe and Australia), food safety and prep practices are a LOT more lax in the rest of the world. And those people seem to survive just fine

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:22 pm

:sharebeer
JoeRetire wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:55 am
squirm wrote:
Any ideas for a couple that are turning 80 who like to go out and drink?
Cook a nice meal for them. Bring booze.
Barbecue outside. Easier to have distance between people. Could be lots of fun and festive too!

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:26 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:55 pm
livesoft wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:26 pm
You really can't see any difference between sitting down to a nice meal, having people serve you, refill your drinks, warm food straight from the kitchen, as opposed to getting food in a styrofoam box that is all smashed together and luke-warm (if you are lucky) by the time you get home?

I don't mind take-out, but there certainly is a different "mood" to dining in a nice restaurant.
These days any food I don’t make is festive. Planning festive dinner for two from local eatery tomorrow. A bottle of wine will be cracked too!

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:32 pm

MBB_Boy wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:15 pm
Humans are very hearty. Americans are completely spoiled when it comes to things like cleanliness and food prep - as anyone who has spent significant time overseas can attest (basically anywhere except Western Europe and Australia), food safety and prep practices are a LOT more lax in the rest of the world. And those people seem to survive just fine
Each year worldwide, unsafe food causes 600 million cases of foodborne diseases and 420 000 deaths. 30% of foodborne deaths occur among children under 5 years of age. WHO estimated that 33 million years of healthy lives are lost due to eating unsafe food globally each year, and this number is likely an underestimation.

https://www.who.int/activities/estimati ... e-diseases
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:31 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:43 pm
Learn how to cook or become friends with someone who does. More fun than out and cheaper.
I disagree on both counts, actually. The first is obviously subjective. Regarding price, as someone who lives alone and nearly always cooks for one, I rarely achieve decent savings given the economics of buying ingredients and portioning for one. There's always more waste than I would like. I'll usually eat the entire finished product, but it's rare for me to be able to use all the ingredients before they go bad.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:04 pm

Some will rush back to the restaurants, I will let them be the beta testers. With the various stages of opening up, the lack of seniors in the restaurants will impact the bottom line for certain restaurants.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

oldfort

Post by oldfort » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:10 pm

If they're 80, I wouldn't dine in at a restaurant until we have a vaccine, so sometime next year.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:27 am

Having family members that work in restaurants, we don't think most restaurants can operate successfully at 50% capacity for any significant period of time. Especially after coming off of being closed for months. If they got a loan/grant they are probably in a better position.

Maybe I am in the minority (and I've ate out a lot over the years), but just as much fun/enjoyment can be had with a good meal at home. I've had several parties for various milestones for family members and I think people enjoyed themselves way more than being stuck at a table or party room in a restaurant. You can cook something special, make an effort to set a nice mood and buy good wine/liquor to make it more special than an ordinary home dinner. If you don't cook you can order food to serve at home like the OP said. Obviously something at home isn't going to rival (in terms of food) going out to a very fancy place for a 12 course meal.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:33 am

mhc wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:23 pm
Optimistic wrote:
jabberwockOG wrote:
Yes, eating food is safe, but that does not mean getting take-out is safe. The article does point out that the risk is in getting the take-out not the food. Since one must get the take out to eat the take out, there is still risk in take-out.
Many restaurants are doing curb-side pick up for the take out. If you can pay online or when you place the order, you can do a contactless pickup by having them put your takeout on the passenger seat or in your trunk. I did this with a take-and-bake pizza the other week.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:38 am

Boglegirl81 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:11 am
Me too... I have missed eating out so much, especially sitting out on a patio enjoying happy hour.
My spouse sits out on the patio with her bottles of wine and has a Zoom wine-drinking session with her sisters and sister-in-laws and all their daughters. For some reason, none of the men in the families get to participate. What is amazing to me is that they set this up and usually everyone has the same wines (plural!), so they can all talk about taste or whatever.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:56 am

Caduceus wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:19 am
Well, if you're octogenarians, I can't imagine the risk is worth it. Even after the lock-down is lifted, the risk profile won't change unless there's substantial herd immunity or a vaccine or if like some other coronaviruses, it just disappears by the summer.

A compromise would be to order the food you want but eat it at home.
I know a few local restaurants that did catering-style take out before the pandemic. One of my favorite Italian places does (did?) that. I would think getting several steam-table-sized trays of something like lasagne, baked penne, etc. finished off with a tray of tiramisu would make for a very festive dinner. Just add some appetizers and a salad and of course the vino. :wink: COVID-19 doesn't like heat, so I think you could minimize the risk by getting some of the food assembled but bake it yourself at home.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:03 am

cherijoh wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:56 am
COVID-19 doesn't like heat, ...
But please read: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:09 am

rich126 wrote:
If you say reduce seating by 50%, I don't see the business surviving by increasing prices by 50%. People enjoy going out but prices do matter and if that $15, 20, 30 meal becomes $22, 30, 45 that would make eating home much more likely.
If seating is reduced by 50%, prices would have to go up 100% to be revenue neutral.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:12 am

Luckywon wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:09 am
rich126 wrote:
If you say reduce seating by 50%, I don't see the business surviving by increasing prices by 50%. People enjoy going out but prices do matter and if that $15, 20, 30 meal becomes $22, 30, 45 that would make eating home much more likely.
If seating is reduced by 50%, prices would have to go up 100% to be revenue neutral.
Staffing and food costs would go down. It would still kill most restaurants though with the fixed costs. There is a reason tables aren't 6 feet apart in a restaurant.

Starfox

Post by Starfox » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:14 am

Luckywon wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:09 am
rich126 wrote:
My wife and I discussed this yesterday. We would be OK with the price increase across the board for all restaurants, although we would dine out 2x/week instead of 4x/week.
Depending on the places, we would feel gouged i.e. $200 for 4 ounces of A5 Japanese steak instead of the usual $100, vs. $30 for three enchiladas with rice and beans, instead of $15. But the alternative is staying home and continue eating 3 meals a day at home for the remainder of the year, which is suboptimal.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:26 am

I’m already back to eating out every day. It’s not the same with social distancing, even out here in the sticks, but it’s still the only human interaction I get every day. Despite being an introvert, seeing other humans is necessary for mental health. So I will “risk” it.