Finger Lakes wines?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
GiannaLuna

Finger Lakes wines?

Post by GiannaLuna »

Can anyone recommend a good pinot noir or riesling from this area?

THANKS
BuckyBadger

Re: Finger Lakes wines?

Post by BuckyBadger »

https://www.fulkersonwinery.com/wines/f ... yle/white/

MANY wonderful riesling varieties. And I know the owners personally!
denali98

Post by denali98 »

I could recommend the Konstantin Frank and Hermann Wiemer wineries. One of these has a good Reisling. Between the two, they should have a good Cabernet Franc and Pinot Noir. Be careful with Finger Lake wines. They commonly add extra sugars to please parts of their clientele. So shop deliberately--and you may even love bonus sweetness.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

It's been a while, but I thought the Finger Lakes were good for ice wines or similar. Only.
abracadabra11

Post by abracadabra11 »

It's been several years since I visited, but I really enjoyed the Rieslings from Hermann J. Wiemer vineyard on Seneca Lake.
denali98

Post by denali98 »

I believe it is the Niagara Peninsula or Frontier that is heavy ice-wine country. The poster is correct in a way--this is NY State also.
The Finger Lakes are a few climate zones better. They are at the northern edge of what red grapes will do. This is why whites dominate. But you can grow Cabernet Franc and some Pinot Noir. It is good country for white grapes like Reisling. Heck, given 10 more years of climate change (not a political statement, do not freeze me into ice-wine), more reds will likely grow as well.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

denali98 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:44 pm I believe it is the Niagara Peninsula or Frontier that is heavy ice-wine country. The poster is correct in a way--this is NY State also.
The Finger Lakes are a few climate zones better. They are at the northern edge of what red grapes will do. This is why whites dominate. But you can grow Cabernet Franc and some Pinot Noir. It is good country for white grapes like Reisling. Heck, given 10 more years of climate change (not a political statement, do not freeze me into ice-wine), more reds will likely grow as well.
Yup, per my relatives Kent's climate in Southern England is now the same as the Champagne region in France was a few decades ago. Apparently they now produce world class wines there.
TLo

Post by TLo »

+1 on the Konstantin Frank and Hermann Wiemer winery recommendations. And we have had good experiences with wines from Hosmer and Fox Run as well. Without knowing your taste, it's tough to recommend individual bottles, but those are solid producers with good wines up and down their line-up, pretty consistently. There are actually a LOT of good Rieslings (and other whites) being produced in the Finger Lakes (and, unfortunately, a lot of bad ones as well). With reds, you might be better off with Cab Franc, but you can probably find a decent Pinot Noir from one of the recommended wineries.
ByThePond

Post by ByThePond »

BuckyBadger wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:41 am https://www.fulkersonwinery.com/wines/f ... yle/white/

MANY wonderful riesling varieties. And I know the owners personally!
+1 on Fulkersons. Great Cab franc, too.
Also, Silver Springs Winery. ( Don't let the Hippie motif fool you.)