Mesh Wifi

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NavyIC3

Mesh Wifi

Post by NavyIC3 »

My Netgear router is dropping my wifi connections. I'm thinking of getting a mesh system. Any suggestions?
mhalley

Re: Mesh Wifi

Post by mhalley »

I love my orbi, but there are many good ones out there. Easy setup, excellent speed.
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-mesh- ... -5191.html
An excellent mesh system for the whole home

Wi-Fi Spec: 802.11ac/Tri Band | Number of Antennas/Removable: 6/No | Ports: Four 1Gbps LAN, USB 2.0 | Peak Throughput: 552.1Mbps | Size: 8.9 x 6.7 x 3.1 inches

The Netgear Orbi is another mesh networking favorite, with great performance and easy setup. The individual units deliver some of the best data speeds available, and Netgear offers a range of extensions, including weatherproof outdoor extensions and the Netgear Orbi Voice, which has Amazon Alexa built in. There's even a budget-friendly version with the slightly cheaper Netgear Orbi RBK40.

The Netgear Orbi checks all the right boxes: strong performance, easy setup and flexibility to handle homes large and small. It's a long-time leader in the mesh Wi-Fi category, and is still one of the best mesh Wi-Fi systems you can get.

Even without the mesh extensions, the Orbi's base unit is one of the fastest routers we've ever tested. Pair it with an Orbi extension and the system easily covers a 5,000-square-foot home, and it does just as well through walls and up and down floors in a multistory home.

On top of this great performance, the Orbi also offers best-in-class flexibility, with add-on units that make it one of the best Alexa speakers, plug-and-play expansion and even weatherproofed satellite units for outdoor coverage. Pair this with excellent security and parental controls, and it's no wonder so many people love the Netgear Orbi.
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

I went with Google Wifi three years ago, and have been completely pleased with the results. No bandwidth issues, and very high reliability (up-time). I have only power-cycled the modem&router once in that 3yr period (previously I was resetting the router monthly). I have a 3000 sq.ft home (two stories).
What I love about the Google Wifi is that each waypoint has an extra "wired" point. The remote ones not attached to the modem have 2 wired ports available. For the remotes ones, I use the ports to plug my desktop computer and game console into. I have a 150Mbps cable connection. The closest [attached] wifi point gets max speed ~150Mbps. the point farthest away in the house provides 80-100Mbps (and is only servicing the game console and random phones and laptops).

Google Wifi https://store.google.com/product/google_wifi_first_gen
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I bought an Eero system last fall. Setting it up is a real breeze since it is mostly plug and play with a smart phone device. I had a few problems right out of the box with it disconnecting but after a few days, that went away. I think in hindsight, it was automatically updating itself and rebooting. We are a family of five and it has been working like a champ to handle all our internet wifi needs during this last month. My only real complaint is that if you are someone who likes to tweak settings, it has a tiny fraction of the things to change that my previous Asus wifi router did. But that also might be an advantage to most people. It also has some nifty settings that I can use to kick my kids off the wifi after certain hours.
hudson

Google Nest

Post by hudson »

NavyIC3,
I put in google wifi...the new model is google nest.
You toss your router and your extenders and use 2-3 or more of these "pods"
You only need one cat 5 type cable to go from your modem to your google nest.
Then download an app to finish the hook up.
I'd buy it again. https://store.google.com/product/nest_w ... lsrc=aw.ds

also....all of the nests use the same wifi name and password...
guest network...yes
Last edited by hudson on Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatcoffeedrinker

Post by fatcoffeedrinker »

Deleted
Last edited by fatcoffeedrinker on Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Wirecutter is a good source for this: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... king-kits/
onourway

Post by onourway »

I installed a Google Nest mesh system over the winter and have been very pleased with the results. It immediately improved the reliability and response times of our Smart Home devices, and through the shelter-in-place order of the past month it has supported near non-stop use by 5 people working and learning online, often all simultaneously streaming video conferences. No issues whatsoever.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

NavyIC3 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:53 pm My Netgear router is dropping my wifi connections. I'm thinking of getting a mesh system. Any suggestions?
Which router? I have R7000 and it's a known issue that the later firmware are garbage. Had to go back to a couple of versions earlier for a stable 5GHz connection.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Our Orbi system is truly a game changer (as silly as that sounds). There are no more weak spots, dropouts, mysterious needs to reset wifi, etc.

Everything in the house (apple or Android or Windows) seamlessly transitions between the 3 stations we have.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Got an orbi system a couple of years ago and have had zero issues since.
IthacaisGorges

Post by IthacaisGorges »

TP Link mesh hybrid has been a dream. Unique in that it has a wireless backhaul to your modem/internet connection but also a powerline system. So it picks the best path - wireless or using the electrical wiring of your house!

That gives it great range, even through the plaster walls of older homes.

We have a 500GB internet connection and we get that speed all over our house and the basement (3500 sq feet above ground, 1500 sq ft basement).
telemark

Post by telemark »

As luck (or possibly thousands of people trying to work from home) would have it, Ars Technica has a good article on this very subject:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04 ... e-to-mesh/

Spoiler: they like the Amazon Eero. The comments are worth reading also.
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

NavyIC3 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:53 pm My Netgear router is dropping my wifi connections. I'm thinking of getting a mesh system. Any suggestions?
Eero.

There are many threads about this already. Use the search function.
Small Savanna

Post by Small Savanna »

We went with Orbi. There were a few hiccups with initial set up, but overall it's been great.
Double Dog

Post by Double Dog »

What does it mean when you have to keep turning your device's wifi off an on? For the past few weeks my wifi "stalls" for a few minutes every hour or two, with the signal strength still at maximum. But if I turn my laptop's wifi off and on again, the connection immediately comes back. Happens on multiple devices. I have an Apple Airport Extreme router. Is this a symptom of router failure? Wifi signal conflicts with my neighbors? Something else?
darkhorse

Post by darkhorse »

TP Link has been game changer over att supplied router
Costco sells it
hudson

Post by hudson »

Double Dog wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:47 pm What does it mean when you have to keep turning your device's wifi off an on? For the past few weeks my wifi "stalls" for a few minutes every hour or two, with the signal strength still at maximum. But if I turn my laptop's wifi off and on again, the connection immediately comes back. Happens on multiple devices. I have an Apple Airport Extreme router. Is this a symptom of router failure? Wifi signal conflicts with my neighbors? Something else?
Check the wifi with another device?

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6183600?hl=en
RooseveltG

Re: Mesh Wifi - Wifi 6?

Post by RooseveltG »

Tech Gurus:

Any thoughts about WiFi 6 mesh networks now? The new Orbis are close to $700 and we have no WiFi 6 devices yet. They are not evening putting that capability in the newest Macs yet.

Thanks in advance.

Roosevelt.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Google Mesh. Simple. Clean interface. 100% reliable (so far). I travel a lot so I like how easy it is to monitor. I also installed a Google Mesh system (and monitor) at my in laws wifi and couldn’t be more pleased with it.
There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your Expected Returns
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

I'm planning on getting mesh Wi-Fi for our next home, and have done some preliminary research. What I'm finding is that this is one of those rare products that has rave reviews across many different companies (Google Nest, Orbi, Eero, etc). In other words it's going to be hard to pick a loser.
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Re: Mesh Wifi - Wifi 6?

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

RooseveltG wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:33 am Tech Gurus:

Any thoughts about WiFi 6 mesh networks now? The new Orbis are close to $700 and we have no WiFi 6 devices yet. They are not evening putting that capability in the newest Macs yet.
You answered your own question. Especially if you aren't having issues with your current Wifi setup then you should ignore it for now. In a year or two support will be more widespread and prices will come down. But we are not there yet.
timboktoo

Post by timboktoo »

We are using Google's Nest Wifi here. It's worked well for us.

We have a 3,000 sq. ft. house and chose the package with a router and two access points. The access points have a microphone and speaker built into them. We can play music throughout the house and ask Google questions wherever we are.

There may be "better" packages out there from a technical perspective, but I like Google's ease of use. I'd get it again.

- Tim
PatSea

Post by PatSea »

Orbi has been great. I now have wifi signal on the other end of the house from the router
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Google Wi-Fi is still available. AC1200. We have 3 units.

Google Nest is the new version. AC2200. The only difference is Nest units do not have a hard wire port so you can direct wire to a close unit.

I would pick Nest today due to the higher potential speed. You would need a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem and internet speeds >300mb to likely notice.

With us all working/schooling from home I have considered going from 150mb to 500mb. But, I would need a new cable modem ($150 up front purchase).
hudson

Google Nest...not access points

Post by hudson »

timboktoo wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:12 am We are using Google's Nest Wifi here. It's worked well for us.

We have a 3,000 sq. ft. house and chose the package with a router and two access points. The access points have a microphone and speaker built into them. We can play music throughout the house and ask Google questions wherever we are.

There may be "better" packages out there from a technical perspective, but I like Google's ease of use. I'd get it again.

- Tim
Google Nest...not access points...but they do the same job...better...simpler...
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but Google WiFi or the newer Google Nest are identical "pods". It doesn't matter which one you plug into your modem. My 3 "pods" (I have the older WiFi version) came together. I plugged one into my modem.

So, there are no access points or wifi extenders...just 3 pods that act as one router....like a mesh.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

Installed a Eero system with three units. Blink, simplisafe and Nexx systems worked with them, although had to chain an old 2.4 MHz router to one to keep a simplisafe camera online.
bubbasour

Post by bubbasour »

hi, I use 3x Google Wifi, works very well and has good controls too. Worth it.
NRA, Prefer VUAA/VUSD (VOO) and VWRD (VT), No capital gain tax.
bloom2708

Re: Google Nest...not access points

Post by bloom2708 »

hudson wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:50 am Google Nest...not access points...but they do the same job...better...simpler...
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but Google WiFi or the newer Google Nest are identical "pods". It doesn't matter which one you plug into your modem. My 3 "pods" (I have the older WiFi version) came together. I plugged one into my modem.

So, there are no access points or wifi extenders...just 3 pods that act as one router....like a mesh.
Yes, you can add a Nest unit to a Google Wi-Fi mesh system. Vice versa.

The difference is AC1200 vs AC2200 and Nest units do not have the hard wire port on the bottom to direct connect to.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lazydavid

Re: Google Nest...not access points

Post by lazydavid »

hudson wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:50 am Google Nest...not access points...but they do the same job...better...simpler...

This was true of Google Wifi. All pods were identical. Any one could be your central router, and the others could be connected via wired or wireless backhaul.

Nest Wifi has two different types of pods. The router has two Ethernet ports like the Google Wifi devices do, but do not support any of the new smart home features (music, ok google, etc). The points have the smarthome features, but no Ethernet. So no wired backhaul, unless you use all router modules and forgo the smarthome features.

I installed Google Wifi (4-pack from Costco) a little over a year ago, and it's been fantastic. Replaced an enterprise-class Cisco router that was extremely reliable but getting pretty long in the tooth.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Very happy with my Eero. Perfect wifi signal anywhere in the house or yard with the base + two satellites. It's plenty fast enough to not be a bottleneck for my 100megabit internet line. So nice to not have to mess with extenders anymore.
knowledge

Post by knowledge »

Looks like I'm the only one with a Plume setup. I got in with them prior to them going to a subscription model. 3 regular pods and a superpod cover two stories + basement. As another poster mentioned, any of these mesh systems will be an improvement vs. a single router, assuming you have the space to necessitate a mesh system.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

I just ordered the 2 pack Google WiFi and a Motorola router to replace our rented Xfinity Modem/Router. Looking forward to getting it. Thanks for all the input about the Google WiFi.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
queso

Post by queso »

Ubiquiti
hudson

Post by hudson »

Dave55 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:10 am I just ordered the 2 pack Google WiFi and a Motorola router to replace our rented Xfinity Modem/Router. Looking forward to getting it. Thanks for all the input about the Google WiFi.

Dave
Dave, consider keeping the Motorola router in the package and ready to send back.
Google WiFi IS a router also. I plugged my Google WiFi directly into the modem. You control everything from Google WiFi app.

I just noticed that you are replacing a modem/router...not sure what to do about that. Is the Motorola a modem/router?
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

hudson wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:50 am
Dave55 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:10 am I just ordered the 2 pack Google WiFi and a Motorola router to replace our rented Xfinity Modem/Router. Looking forward to getting it. Thanks for all the input about the Google WiFi.

Dave
Dave, consider keeping the Motorola router in the package and ready to send back.
Google WiFi IS a router also. I plugged my Google WiFi directly into the modem. You control everything from Google WiFi app.

I just noticed that you are replacing a modem/router...not sure what to do about that. Is the Motorola a modem/router?
Is Xfinity your internet provider?
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

delete
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

hudson wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:50 am

Dave

Sorry, I meant to write Motorola Modem.
Thanks
Dave
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

I could benefit from a mesh system as I currently have some weak spots. However, I have six SONOS wireless speakers throughout my home which I love and I have read that it can be a nightmare to get SONOS speakers to play well with a mesh system.

If anyone has successfully installed a mesh system that plays nicely with their SONOS speakers I would love to learn from your experience.
IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy »

I bought a google mesh system 2-3 years ago. At the time, it was about the only convenient option and it has been flawless. No regrets other than the cost- three units were around $250, IIRC.

If I were buying today, I would shop around to see what is on the market now. There could be better deals out there at this point. But the google system has been great.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

We bought the Google Wifi 4-pack at Costco about a year ago.

"Game changer" may be the right term. All of our wifi woes just disappeared.

Piece of cake to setup and maintain.

Should have bought years ago.
Last edited by greg24 on Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ballons

Post by ballons »

Get any Asus router that supports aiMesh:
https://www.asus.com/microsite/AiMesh/en/index.html
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

bikechuck wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:10 am I could benefit from a mesh system as I currently have some weak spots. However, I have six SONOS wireless speakers throughout my home which I love and I have read that it can be a nightmare to get SONOS speakers to play well with a mesh system.

If anyone has successfully installed a mesh system that plays nicely with their SONOS speakers I would love to learn from your experience.
You need to connect one Sonos device to your router via Ethernet. The rest will communicate with that one via the proprietary Sonosnet wireless network, and all will be well.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I replaced my asus aimesh setup with the orbi asi had frequent disconnects of the satellite from the router, even using powerline.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

Check the ACxxxx number, the higher the faster (and more expensive). My Orbi system wasn't cheap (I think about $350 for the router and two satellites) but it's AC3000 and really fast. So fast that I didn't realize that my old AC1200 router was the choke point in my system, not my ISP connection. I like that the Orbi has Ethernet backhaul and additional Ethernet connections for wired computers. I don't like that you can not configure which band your devices will use (2.4Ghz or 5.0 Ghz), but that's a subject for many other threads.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

I just wanted to thank you all. I was following this thread and finally pulled the trigger on mesh. Set it up last night. Holy moly. Even my wife is thrilled and she couldn't care less about anything technology-related.
xb7

Post by xb7 »

My router works well overall, but I've been thinking that when WIFI 6E mesh routers arrive (not WIFI 6, but WIFI 6E) and have been around awhile and evaluated that I might upgrade at that point. I've watched with some bewilderment in recent months as different computer magazines and other articles have suggested that "now" is a great time to buy a new router. I would suggest that "pretty soon" will be a great time.

Because just two days ago the FCC approved the use of the 6 GHz band for WIFI 6E devices.
https://moniem-tech.com/2020/04/25/fcc- ... -wi-fi-6e/

So we should start seeing those roll out not too long from now; Broadcom, at least, has been working on WIFI 6E chipsets for some time now:
https://www.cnet.com/news/broadcom-jump ... e-routers/
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

Upgrading to a faster router doesn't do much for you unless your router is the choke point for your internet. Even cheap routers like the Archer A7 will have no problem at speeds well above the average speed delivered to U.S. households. Unless your internet speed is above 200 Mbps or you do significant internal networking between one computer and another at your house there is no reason to shell out big bucks for a high-end router to get more speed to your devices (assuming wifi coverage extends throughout your house).
xb7

Post by xb7 »

gtd98765 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:52 pm Upgrading to a faster router doesn't do much for you unless your router is the choke point for your internet. Even cheap routers like the Archer A7 will have no problem at speeds well above the average speed delivered to U.S. households. Unless your internet speed is above 200 Mbps or you do significant internal networking between one computer and another at your house there is no reason to shell out big bucks for a high-end router to get more speed to your devices (assuming wifi coverage extends throughout your house).
==> "(assuming wifi coverage extends throughout your house)"

It comes down to that, plus speed and sometimes reliability drop-off to different parts of a house (or whatever locale).
I do agree that a person shouldn't upgrade their router unless they have some known, tangible reason for it. I.e., not just because "cool, it's the latest thing!".

My point about the new 6E spectrum is that wireless interference risk is greatly reduced with this. If you've never walked around your house and done the same wireless speed test with the same device in various rooms, you might change your mind about whether this is a significant issue. If you've never had wi-fi speed/reliability seem to drop off for a period mysteriously, so that you suspect some sort of wireless interference from ... something. Ditto perhaps if you have ever had several people or devices trying to efficiently use your wi-fi at the same time.

In my case, there are some kind of fringe areas in the house where we need wi-fi; I actually ran a wired connection to my attic as I moved my DVR to there (Amazon Fire DVR), and wi-fi was very clearly failing to let the device work reliably. The wired connection solved the problem. But so would a good mesh router solution, and running an ethernet cable up there was a minor PITA.

It's not earth shaking. But for a person looking to upgrade and doesn't need something immediately, I would wait for a WIFI 6E (mesh) device.
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE »

Can’t take advantage of WiFi 6e without devices that support it. The new iPhone SE is one, any others?