Mesh Wifi

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
helloeveryone

Re: Mesh Wifi

Post by helloeveryone »

NavyIC3 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:53 pm My Netgear router is dropping my wifi connections. I'm thinking of getting a mesh system. Any suggestions?
After 15+ years of saying I would stop renting from spectrum I bought the netgear mesh system from costco. https://www.costco.com/netgear-nighthaw ... 36361.html

It’s been amazing. The extra satellites have allowed me to hook our smart tv to one and the far aspect of the house to have incredible wifi.
wander

Post by wander »

Unless your house is very big that you really need mesh wifi. I have been good with Buffalo dual bands wireless router last 8 years and never have to think about it because it just works.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Like my investments I like simple when it comes to a wifi router. I just want it to work with no tinkering or surprises. I don't need to be able to 'tweak' settings as my home usage is very straightforward but I do want a convenient way to monitor how it is performing.

I've been using Google Wifi for nearly 3 years now and have found it to completely fill the bill. I had to reset it once in that time but suspect that it was a internet provider, not router problem. When friends have buffering and other problems with their wifi, especially when implementing streaming, I almost always recommend Google Wifi and it has always worked well and the recommendation has never come back to bite me.

Needless to say, I like it.....a lot!
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
02nz

Post by 02nz »

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:26 am Can’t take advantage of WiFi 6e without devices that support it. The new iPhone SE is one, any others?
There are no Wi-Fi 6E devices available yet. Wi-Fi 6 aka 802.11ax is the latest available. 6E was just announced and builds on this by using the 6Ghz band (Wi-Fi 6 and earlier uses the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands).

The iPhone 11 generation and new SE support Wi-Fi 6. Many of the newer laptops on the market do as well, and on most of the ones that don't, if the wi-fi chip is on a m.2 slot it can be swapped out with a $20 card that supports Wi-Fi 6.
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Sorry to interject...would one Google WiFi point work ok for a 1900 square foot house. Two floors. Thanks!
hudson

Post by hudson »

BashDash wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:55 pm Sorry to interject...would one Google WiFi point work ok for a 1900 square foot house. Two floors. Thanks!
It might; it depends on what's in the way. You could try it and add on as needed.
I would get 3 to start with.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

It's really easy to overthink this stuff. Most people just want reliable wifi, they don't care about whether they're getting 94 or 99% of the speed that their internet connection is providing. So much depends on the layout and construction materials of where you live and (esp. in denser areas) what your neighbors are using that you really need to try it out rather than expecting research online to do all the work.

If you're not sure whether you need mesh, I'd start with an Eero single-pack ($80 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Amaz ... 07WGJ8ZD3/). This works as a router and for many people is probably enough. If you still have deadspots, just get another and put it roughly between the first Eero and the deadspot. Add more units as needed. This may not give the absolute highest performance for everyone, but it should work well for most. Think of it as the LifeStrategy fund of wifi.
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

NavyIC3 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:53 pm My Netgear router is dropping my wifi connections. I'm thinking of getting a mesh system. Any suggestions?
OP what did you end up deciding?
onourway

Post by onourway »

gtd98765 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:52 pm Upgrading to a faster router doesn't do much for you unless your router is the choke point for your internet. Even cheap routers like the Archer A7 will have no problem at speeds well above the average speed delivered to U.S. households. Unless your internet speed is above 200 Mbps or you do significant internal networking between one computer and another at your house there is no reason to shell out big bucks for a high-end router to get more speed to your devices (assuming wifi coverage extends throughout your house).
I would argue for most people today with Internet faster than about 50Mbps, their home wifi IS the choke point. Most people don’t upgrade routers/access points that often, so they are generally at least a few years old and a single point access point falls off in speed rapidly over the normal distances one might reasonably use their devices around a normal home. The way to find out is to download a test app, something like Wifi SweetSpots, and wander around the house. We had a several year old router in a >2000sq ft home, centrally located, no construction issues with interference or nearby neighbors, etc. Through most of the house we got >50Mbs. Often far less - meaning single digits. And it gets much worse with wifi as soon as multiple devices begin competing for that limited bandwidth.

We upgraded to Nest Wifi earlier in the year - 2 pucks for The whole house, and we can now max out our 100Mbps internet service from anywhere in the house.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

onourway wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:21 pm I would argue for most people today with Internet faster than about 50Mbps, their home wifi IS the choke point.
Agreed. My AC1200 wifi router was definitely the choke point in my house, even if you were standing right next to it.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

There are many great mesh solutions. I had Orbi mesh, but decided to move it to the garage to provide great wifi for my wife’s work.

I had set a neighbor up with eero, and really liked the ease of installation. At $199 for a 3-pack, it’s tough to beat for value. I use wired backhaul exclusively, so the limitation relative to Orbi is unimportant. My neighbor used the radio mesh capability, and it was first rate and much less expensive than Orbi.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
xb7

Post by xb7 »

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:26 am Can’t take advantage of WiFi 6e without devices that support it. The new iPhone SE is one, any others?
Correct, of course, but I find that I replace a phone or a tablet significantly more frequently than I do a router. Thus, again, the suggestion that if a person is thinking of getting a new router and the need to replace isn't urgent --- I'd wait for a WIFI 6E router. And perhaps not the very first one out there, but rather after there have been some (useful and believable) user reviews.

It's surprising how many devices in a household can be connected to wifi, and certainly some of those will never be updated, or not for a long time. But over the lifetime of a router, I suspect that a lot of them will. And as perhaps even more devices are connected that way in future, it will be no bad thing to have access to the 6 GHz spectrum for at least some of those connections.

Again, not a big deal. Just --- if you can wait a bit, I would.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Google Wifi mesh. No issues, great admin console on my phone that is easy to understand. Slam dunk.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

xb7 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:19 am It's not earth shaking. But for a person looking to upgrade and doesn't need something immediately, I would wait for a WIFI 6E (mesh) device.
When available, these are going to be extremely expensive, for quite a while. The Wifi 6 variants of the Netgear Orbi and Linksys Veloop are $700 and $600, respectively, for the two-node kits. It costs $1000 for three nodes of either solution, and additional nodes are around $400 for each.

The prices will come down eventually, of course. But if someone has a need for mesh now, I don't think it's worth waiting long enough for that to happen. Performance of my (wifi 5) Google Mesh is excellent with 50+ devices active at any given time. And 4 nodes cost me just $300. That'll cover me for quite a while.
international001

Post by international001 »

How well do they work when you do handover? i.e. move from one area of the house to another while keeping same SSID?

I'm using a simple extender (Netgear EX6150) but I have to create another network (different SSID)
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

international001 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:46 am How well do they work when you do handover? i.e. move from one area of the house to another while keeping same SSID?
In my experience, it's completely seamless. The only way I can tell when handover occurs is to watch a specific device in the management app and see the "connected to" field change.
hudson

Post by hudson »

international001 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:46 am How well do they work when you do handover? i.e. move from one area of the house to another while keeping same SSID?

I'm using a simple extender (Netgear EX6150) but I have to create another network (different SSID)
with google wifi, handover is seamless....invisible...that problem goes away
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:49 am
In my experience, it's completely seamless. The only way I can tell when handover occurs is to watch a specific device in the management app and see the "connected to" field change.
I will sometimes experience a very short interruption in my internet feed when I go from one part of the house to another. I don't need to do anything about it. I can usually only detect this if I'm watching video and it doesn't cause any problem other than a short pause.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:37 am
I will sometimes experience a very short interruption in my internet feed when I go from one part of the house to another. I don't need to do anything about it. I can usually only detect this if I'm watching video and it doesn't cause any problem other than a short pause.
From what I understand, it is up to the mobile device to transition from one mesh device to another. My iPhones have done a good job of doing that with multiple non-mesh WAPs, and it’s no different with multiple mesh access points.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

I installed a 2 pack Google WiFi Mesh about 10 days ago. Easy to set up and it works great.

Dave
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Thanks to all who have contributed input. You convinced me to get a mesh system.

For what its worth, I chose to go with a Netgear RBK53S
Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA »

Looking at these options myself. For now, between Orbi and Google. Costco has great prices on these, but unfortunately is sold out of Orbi. I'd go with Google but concerned about privacy. Perhaps that shouldn't be an objection since I work all day in gmail anyway.
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

Have had older google Wifi for several years. Now up to 4 pucks in a long rambling house. Love it because it just works and self updates and I don’t even think about it. Blankets a suburban ranch house of size quite well, as well as the yard and half a block around.
gas_balloon

Post by gas_balloon »

ScubaHogg wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:30 am Google Mesh. Simple. Clean interface. 100% reliable (so far). I travel a lot so I like how easy it is to monitor. I also installed a Google Mesh system (and monitor) at my in laws wifi and couldn’t be more pleased with it.
+1. Use Nest WiFi. Got the 2 pack router from Amazon. 1 router alone is enough for me 1,200 sqft 2-level home; I've not even opened the 2nd router yet.
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

I really enjoy my Google WiFi. Good design and very reliable. The one time I had to reboot it in the last few years, I was able to do so from my phone.
international001

Does it support bridging? I have my own router and I like all the layer 3 features it provides (VPN, etc) and the possibility of running WRT on them

Any difference on those two issues between Google and Orbis?
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE »

Has anyone used Mesh successfully with gigabit internet? Wondering which hardware pushes through the fastest possible download bandwidth.
MiddleOfTheRoad

Post by MiddleOfTheRoad »

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:17 pm Has anyone used Mesh successfully with gigabit internet? Wondering which hardware pushes through the fastest possible download bandwidth.
I tried Orbi, velop, and Google wifi about a year ago. Orbi is faster by a good margin. On wifi we got 500-600 Mbps on the orbi all around the house AND in the backyard. If you wire off the router, download speed is in the 800-900 Mbps. Google wifi is the slowest.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

international001 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:15 pm
Does it support bridging? I have my own router and I like all the layer 3 features it provides (VPN, etc) and the possibility of running WRT on them

Any difference on those two issues between Google and Orbis?
At least on Google/Nest WiFi, bridge mode and mesh are mutually exclusive. You can put the AP into bridge mode, but then you can only have one:
https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6240987?hl=en

One option if your current router supports it would be to put IT into bridge mode, and then port forward the relevant VPN ports to it. There used to be some 3rd party firmware for Google Wifi much like WRT called Galeforce that had a bunch of additional configurability, but it hasn't been updated in 3 years.
international001

lazydavid wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:00 pm
At least on Google/Nest WiFi, bridge mode and mesh are mutually exclusive. You can put the AP into bridge mode, but then you can only have one:
https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6240987?hl=en

One option if your current router supports it would be to put IT into bridge mode, and then port forward the relevant VPN ports to it. There used to be some 3rd party firmware for Google Wifi much like WRT called Galeforce that had a bunch of additional configurability, but it hasn't been updated in 3 years.
Sorry.. what do you mean by IT? Forget about VPN, I want my normal router to be my IP gateway

My-computer ---- Google-Mesh-AP ------ My-Router ---- Internet

Same IP subnet between My-Computer and My-Router
FrankLUSMC

Post by FrankLUSMC »

I updated to the newest (at the time) ORBI in December. The router and 2 satellites work great for my 4500 sq. ft. 3 story home.
I have the router in basement and then one satellite on each of the upper floors.
I have 1 TV streaming on floor 3, 2 TV streaming on floor 2 and 1 TV streaming in basement all using 4K firestick.
GaryA505

Post by GaryA505 »

I was using an Orbi (1 base unit with 1 satellite), but recently switched to the Gryphon AC3000 router. I only use a single unit now but they can be meshed, and 2 of them is advertised to handle 6000 sf.

The Gryphon is rock solid. I get much better coverage and speed with the Gryphon than with the Orbi base&satellite.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

international001 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:20 pm Sorry.. what do you mean by IT? Forget about VPN, I want my normal router to be my IP gateway

I meant if your current router supports bridge mode. As I said in my previous post, you cannot do this the way you propose and retain the mesh functionality. I can only speak to Google's solution (not going to chase the documentation for the others), but I would be surprised if this would work with any of the consumer mesh solutions. You'd have to go to a much more expensive prosumer solution. Ubiquiti will do what you want, but you'll probably be well into 4 figures.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

MiddleOfTheRoad wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:27 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:17 pm Has anyone used Mesh successfully with gigabit internet? Wondering which hardware pushes through the fastest possible download bandwidth.
I tried Orbi, velop, and Google wifi about a year ago. Orbi is faster by a good margin. On wifi we got 500-600 Mbps on the orbi all around the house AND in the backyard. If you wire off the router, download speed is in the 800-900 Mbps. Google wifi is the slowest.
Gigabit Fios with wired backhaul. Had Orbi but switched to eero. Orbi gets funky as you add satellites (easy with 2 satellites, a bit funky with 3, and while I have read of successful 4 satellite implementations, I never succeeded).

Eero has been a piece of cake. Note that some of the speed advantage of Orbi is nullified with a wired backhaul. Frankly, I don’t think a speed of 420Mbps is markedly different than 350Mbps.

Eero is less espensive than Orbi, and my 6 eeros cost less than 4 Orbi (iirc, less than 3 Orbi).
hahabye

Post by hahabye »

We love our Google wifi. 3100 sf home, 2 teenagers, streaming 4k netfix on multiple devices, never an issue. Buy it!
international001

lazydavid wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:22 pm
international001 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:20 pm Sorry.. what do you mean by IT? Forget about VPN, I want my normal router to be my IP gateway

I meant if your current router supports bridge mode. As I said in my previous post, you cannot do this the way you propose and retain the mesh functionality. I can only speak to Google's solution (not going to chase the documentation for the others), but I would be surprised if this would work with any of the consumer mesh solutions. You'd have to go to a much more expensive prosumer solution. Ubiquiti will do what you want, but you'll probably be well into 4 figures.
oh.. ok
Yes, I read that also. Unfortunately my provider requires their own router. I guess last resource is doing 2 levels of NAT
mac2019

Post by mac2019 »

One issue that I did not see mentioned is the question of security. While I like the idea of the mesh network, according to Consumer Reports (March 2020), the traditional wireless router is more secure than a mesh wireless routers.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

mac2019 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:39 pm One issue that I did not see mentioned is the question of security. While I like the idea of the mesh network, according to Consumer Reports (March 2020), the traditional wireless router is more secure than a mesh wireless routers.
Is this because they are more configurable for the advanced user (which most of us are not) or is there another reason(s) stated?
stan1

Post by stan1 »

mac2019 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:39 pm One issue that I did not see mentioned is the question of security. While I like the idea of the mesh network, according to Consumer Reports (March 2020), the traditional wireless router is more secure than a mesh wireless routers.
You'll need to let us know why they feel that way. Many of us no longer subscribe to Consumer Reports.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

I just read through the CR March 2020 article entitled "How to Get a Stronger WiFi Signal," which has a section on mesh routers. I saw a statement that said they were less simple than traditional routers, but nothing about being less secure.

In any case, mesh routers are not less secure to wifi snooping than non-mesh routers as long as they are set up with a decent wifi password, which most now are by default.
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

I would love to know what their reasoning is. Can you post a summary or direct quote here?

I have no idea how this could possibly be the case.
hudson

Google Nest Wifi Security Features

Post by hudson »

https://support.google.com/googlenest/a ... 7625?hl=en

It's got a firewall...a guest network; it uses WPA2 Protocol by default. It updates automatically. It's supported by a large and experienced company.

The older version, Google WiFi does the same as above.
ballons

Post by ballons »

Any Asus router with AImesh.

Great security updates
Third party firmware.
Not locked into a specialized device
Easy to expand or replace as needed
No google spying
international001

ballons wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:33 pm Any Asus router with AImesh.

Great security updates
Third party firmware.
No google spying
Tx.. I see they sell them on packs of two. I guess you can add more.

Do you know if you can use Aimesh bridging from another router?
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

international001 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:00 am
ballons wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:33 pm Any Asus router with AImesh.

Great security updates
Third party firmware.
No google spying
Tx.. I see they sell them on packs of two. I guess you can add more.

I used to have the AImesh routers. They were fine. Now I have Google WiFi and don't even think about networking anymore. Set and forget.
ballons

Post by ballons »

international001 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:00 am Tx.. I see they sell them on packs of two. I guess you can add more.

AFAIK, there is no limit.

AImesh only works with supported Asus routers.

More indepth answers:
https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asus-wireless.37/
stan1

Post by stan1 »

BashDash wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:55 pm Sorry to interject...would one Google WiFi point work ok for a 1900 square foot house. Two floors. Thanks!
We have two in a 1750 square foot house (one upstairs and one downstairs). You may be able to get by with one if you can locate it centrally (upstairs). In our house the office is over the garage and the family room is on the diagonal opposite on the first floor so I just went ahead and got two at time of purchase. The one in the family room extends out to the back patio as well and we have better coverage than when we had a single router non-mesh system before.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

02nz wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:52 pm
There are no Wi-Fi 6E devices available yet. Wi-Fi 6 aka 802.11ax is the latest available. 6E was just announced and builds on this by using the 6Ghz band (Wi-Fi 6 and earlier uses the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands).

The iPhone 11 generation and new SE support Wi-Fi 6. Many of the newer laptops on the market do as well, and on most of the ones that don't, if the wi-fi chip is on a m.2 slot it can be swapped out with a $20 card that supports Wi-Fi 6.
If I could wait 9 months I'd get a 6E mesh router when they come out (estimated early 2021) and then I'd be ready as 6E capable devices come online.
gas_balloon

Post by gas_balloon »

stan1 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:30 pm
We have two in a 1750 square foot house (one upstairs and one downstairs). You may be able to get by with one if you can locate it centrally (upstairs). In our house the office is over the garage and the family room is on the diagonal opposite on the first floor so I just went ahead and got two at time of purchase. The one in the family room extends out to the back patio as well and we have better coverage than when we had a single router non-mesh system before.
Nest WiFi Router advertises up to 2,200 sqft of coverage, although that's the best case scenario I assume. In very good conditions it may be possible to get away with a single router on a 1,900 sqft house; but I don't think most people would be happy with that setup. I advice going with 2 routers or 1 router + 1 point. Place them on separate levels if you live in a multi storey home; or place them in separate rooms if you live in a large single storey home.