Florida HOA complaining of Weeds in Lawn

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
atikovi

Florida HOA complaining of Weeds in Lawn

Post by atikovi » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:57 am

I don't live at the house but have a lawn service to take care of the yard. I get these notices a few times a year, notify the lawn guy, and it ok's for a few months. This last time the initial notice was back in March and yesterday I got a final notice giving 14 days to correct the problem or face a possible fine. With the virus lockdowns, can they even enforce this? I'm not even sure if the lawn guy is allowed to mow right now.

dukeblue219

Re: Florida HOA complaining of Weeds in Lawn

Post by dukeblue219 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:04 am

Aside from the broader thanks I give to not live in a place like that.... I'll say that most jurisdictions have allowed for routine lawn care / maintenance to proceed. You'll have to check at the county and state level, but landscaping is explicitly included in the DHS list of essential businesses now. Many areas reference that list in their orders.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:05 am

I live in Florida and lawns continue to be mowed. Just call your lawn guy and avoid the drama with the HOA.

Don't be the out of town neighbor that annoys the neighbors.

Cheers

Topic Author
atikovi

Post by atikovi » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:08 am

OK thanks, just thought it petty they would bring it up at a time like this.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:10 am

I'd wonder if the HOA is telling you in a round about way that the guy you've hired isn't doing a good job since it is a recurring problem? Maybe you aren't getting what you are paying for? Understood it is spring in Florida so there may be a lot of weeds.

Or, put another way, if you lived in the house and your neighbor was the absentee landlord with weeds in the yard what would you want the HOA to do?

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:22 am

atikovi wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:08 am
You can stop your contractual duties to keep op on your house during these times? Doesn't seem to make sense.

Topic Author
atikovi

Post by atikovi » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:26 am

runner3081 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:22 am
atikovi wrote:
You can stop your contractual duties to keep op on your house during these times? Doesn't seem to make sense.
Some people can't pay their rent or mortgage so some landlords and banks are delaying payment requirements. Even the IRS has pushed back tax filing dates. Heaven forbid a neighbor has to look at a couple of dandelions when we are in a national crisis.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:27 am

atikovi wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:57 am
I don't live at the house but have a lawn service to take care of the yard. I get these notices a few times a year, notify the lawn guy, and it ok's for a few months. This last time the initial notice was back in March and yesterday I got a final notice giving 14 days to correct the problem or face a possible fine. With the virus lockdowns, can they even enforce this? I'm not even sure if the lawn guy is allowed to mow right now.
Suggestion: Take the grass out and put landscape rocks on your yard.

Topic Author
atikovi

Post by atikovi » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:28 am

This is Florida. Home of green lawns. HOA would freek.

megabad

Post by megabad » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:41 am

In my area, it is not possible to get a lien right now so they would have no recourse. Not sure about yours. I would not be inclined to rush to fix but would do so on my own time if I had the funds.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:42 am

The house is in Florida, and your profile says you're in Washington DC. How do you know it's just a few dandelions? This isn't the first time you've received this type of notice. Why not just cut back on the drama and get a different lawn guy?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:49 am

megabad wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:41 am
In my area, it is not possible to get a lien right now so they would have no recourse. Not sure about yours. I would not be inclined to rush to fix but would do so on my own time if I had the funds.
What?? Because they cannot get a lien immediately doesn't mean you wouldn't owe the fine. They can get a lien later and you won't be able to sell in the meantime as they will tell the buyer you owe $$$$. That is a routine part of a sale when an HOA is involved. They can also charge you interest and attorney fees to collect a fine.

I've seen multiple times where a homeowner thought they were in the right withholding payments (whether regular monthly fees or fines) and it almost never works out well for the homeowner.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:51 am

I was on my HOA board for years (now live in a single house not in an HOA) and for every letter we sent out about a rule violation that seemed petty, there was an owner demanding we enforce the rules. Usually we went ahead with it, sometimes we didn't (as in the case where a dying homeowner brought up his dog from his ranch).

FL has a law which says you can see all the board's emails. It might be interesting to see what started the chain of events leading up to your notice. Or, is the board violating something?

https://www.floridacondohoalawblog.com/ ... l-records/

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:01 am

atikovi wrote:
I'd ask the HOA to send you a photo of the yard. Just a quick cellphone photo should be enough.

Then you can decide if they are are being picky, or if your yard looks awful.

I agree there is a lot going on, but if you are paying for lawn services you might as well get it done right.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:01 am

An HOA is made up of people which almost always includes busybodies and control freaks. This current situation with more people at home and more time on their hands probably adds to the busybody activity.

I would emphasize to the lawn service that the HOA are sticklers and to make sure there are no weeds or get a different service if they aren't able to accomplish that.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:09 am

atikovi wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:26 am
runner3081 wrote:
atikovi wrote:
Some people can't pay their rent or mortgage so some landlords and banks are delaying payment requirements. Even the IRS has pushed back tax filing dates. Heaven forbid a neighbor has to look at a couple of dandelions when we are in a national crisis.
Look, this is not a new issue for you. Seems that this is an ongoing issue. Had this been a first time notice now, sure, many people would view as petty. However, that is not the case.

Just pay the fees as they come, knowing this is just a business expense of being an out of town landlord.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:11 am

Mr. Rumples wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:51 am
I was on my HOA board for years (now live in a single house not in an HOA) and for every letter we sent out about a rule violation that seemed petty, there was an owner demanding we enforce the rules. Usually we went ahead with it, sometimes we didn't (as in the case where a dying homeowner brought up his dog from his ranch).

FL has a law which says you can see all the board's emails. It might be interesting to see what started the chain of events leading up to your notice. Or, is the board violating something?

https://www.floridacondohoalawblog.com/ ... l-records/
Our HOA has a contracted, unbiased 3rd party who drives around 2x per month and issues violations. The board does not see the violations or notifications until after they are issued. Keeps everyone mostly out of the neighbor battles like this :)

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:11 am

I would push back on them just to reinforce the point of how out of touch they are with priorities in this current environment.

Maybe passive aggressively ask them if HOA fees can be furloughed like rent and mortgage payments are, just to poke them a bit more :twisted:

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:15 am

When was the last time you were there? What does the yard look like? If you’re getting repeated complaints about the state of the yard, I’m guessing that it doesn’t look very good, and that one of your neighbors is very tired of living next to an absentee owner that doesn’t take care of their property.

We have an absentee owner on our block. They hired the next door neighbor, who has a fantastic looking yard, to take care of the place while they’re gone. So it always looks well cared for and lived in. Maybe you just need to get someone who cares about how the place looks to take care of it.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

megabad

Post by megabad » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:17 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:49 am
megabad wrote:
What?? Because they cannot get a lien immediately doesn't mean you wouldn't owe the fine. They can get a lien later and you won't be able to sell in the meantime as they will tell the buyer you owe $$$$. That is a routine part of a sale when an HOA is involved. They can also charge you interest and attorney fees to collect a fine.

I've seen multiple times where a homeowner thought they were in the right withholding payments (whether regular monthly fees or fines) and it almost never works out well for the homeowner.
Every area is different. Where two of my properties are, levying of fines is questionable anyway. You have to show injury to property owners which would be pretty difficult right now (or maybe ever). I have actively lobbied against “weed”, boat, and basketball goal clauses in my own HOA where I used to live and had success. We (our HOA) also suspended liens and penalties during the financial crisis. In any case, I already said I would begrudgingly fix it if I had the funds. Why make it complicated if you don’t have to?

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:19 am

Somebody wants their cousin Vinny to mow everyone's lawns. Just ask the HOA who their recommended crook is and hire them to do your lawn.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:21 am

Post a photo please of the lawn. I suspect you haven't visited the place in months.

On my street, I know that one neighbor calls the HOA on the same person 2 or 3 times every year. I am friends with both of the parties, so it is amusing how they have a completely different outlook over the situation. The house with the weedy yard feels terribly aggrieved and says it doesn't look so bad and will do everything in their power to poke a stick in the eye of the complainer. They would even plant more weeds if that was easy. The reality is that $30 of weed-and-feed fertilizer would make the problem go away. Posting on bogleheads.org will not make the problem go away.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:24 am

megabad wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:17 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:49 am
megabad wrote:

Every area is different. Where two of my properties are, levying of fines is questionable anyway. You have to show injury to property owners which would be pretty difficult right now (or maybe ever). I have actively lobbied against “weed”, boat, and basketball goal clauses in my own HOA where I used to live and had success. We (our HOA) also suspended liens and penalties during the financial crisis. In any case, I already said I would begrudgingly fix it if I had the funds. Why make it complicated if you don’t have to?
Exactly. And not rushing when you already have a hired lawn service is making it more complicated than it needs to be IMO.

SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:27 am

There are HOAs that seem to be filled with busybody know it alls, but my mother lives in Florida and spends a lot of time and effort to make her lawn look nice, but it is an uphill battle as her next door neighbor makes zero effort and his weeds are constantly encroaching on her yard. She bought in an HOA community, knowing their standards, and so did her neighbor. Why shouldn’t she be able to have a nice lawn?

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:27 am

This is Florida. Lawn care is a full time, all year round job, and it can get quite complex. Particular invasive weeds or pests can get a foothold as soon as you turn your back. It isn't low maintenance. You need a guy to cut the grass, trim, and you need a sprinkler guy and a weed guy ( :happy ). It isn't usually just one guy. Even then, none of those guys live on the property, so they aren't really monitoring what is going on. Your neighbor might treat his yard for chinch bugs which all run into your yard. (Typically that will require a coordinated effort throughout the entire neighborhood to eradicate.) Bottom line is I have trouble keeping my HOA happy even when I live on the property 24/7. I feel for the OP because HOAs are surely one of the layers of hell.

megabad

Post by megabad » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:36 am

Dude2 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:27 am
I feel for the OP because HOAs are surely one of the layers of hell.
While I agree with this, it seems there is an easy solution...right? I currently have a beautiful home that is not in an HOA. In front of me is maybe a couple acres of forest and...heaven forbid...”weeds” (mostly native grasses). I will say I had to pay a lot more to get a home outside of an HOA in a good area but I think I will eventually make it up in not paying dues and in avoided time being annoyed by them.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:52 am

Good solution.

Your house with a couple acres of forest in front of it sounds like mine. No HOA to cause me stress. For someone to complain, they'd have to be trespassing. You can't see my lawn from off my property. I've got another 10 acres of forest behind my house.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Redlion

Post by Redlion » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:57 am

HueyLD wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:27 am
atikovi wrote:
Its Florida not Arizona

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:02 am

Redlion wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:57 am
HueyLD wrote:
Its Florida not Arizona
In Florida, landscape rocks will simply highlight all the weeds growing up in-between all the rocks. :)

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:06 am

Redlion wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:57 am
HueyLD wrote:
atikovi wrote:
Its Florida not Arizona
Yes, I was fully aware of that.

Where I used to live, green green grass of homes ruled. However, some houses did have lots of landscape rocks on their yards ILO of grass. YMMV.

jibantik

Post by jibantik » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:19 am

There has never been a single post about an HOA that has not made me happy that I am not part of an HOA.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:09 pm

jibantik wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:19 am
There has never been a single post about an HOA that has not made me happy that I am not part of an HOA.
This post may not help but the wife is happier in the nice HOA home. Happy wife, happy life!

We moved to this nice house from a fixer upper built in 1924. We didn't count the cost of doing everything that the wife wanted done to make her house some place she wanted to live. So we sold it for less than we paid for it and moved on. And it wasn't in a nice neighborhood, the neighbors decorated their yards with ugly things that would get notices from our HOA board.

I take things one day at a time with the HOA. I have had to remove a mailbox and have the roof pressure cleaned. Other than those 2 things in 4 years of living here it is nice that the wife is happy.
Last edited by Vanguard Fan 1367 on Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

snowman

Post by snowman » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:13 pm

I'd love to see the picture of the lawn. My guess is that HOA is correct since the homeowner has been notified in the past. My guess is also that OP lives far away, hasn't seen the place in months, and thinks he shouldn't get those annoying letters because he pays his "lawn guy".

Problem is paying lawn guy is no guarantee - lawn needs proper amount of water (anybody checks on that?), as well as fertilizers, weed killers, insect control, etc. It's possible lawn guy comes in once a week to mow the lawn, because that's all he is paid to do. It's also possible lawn guy gets paid to provide complete lawn care, but the lawn doesn't get enough water.

Anyway, this is one of those threads where much of needed info is missing, so it's hard to offer good advise. BTW, our HOA is obligated to send pictures with the letter, so there is never any confusion as to validity of the complaint.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:37 pm

Fun OT comment for the week. "That guy" in our neighborhood who complains about everyone else's yard and home maintenance has a gripe with a family whose home is near but not in our HOA. He suggested to the trustees that we invite that homeowner to join our HOA so that we can impose our rules on him.

Nope, not going to make that call. But might pay money to listen in if someone else does.

dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:52 pm

atikovi wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:26 am
runner3081 wrote:
atikovi wrote:
I agree with you 100%. Just saying you're breaking a contract doesn't say anything about whether it's petty or not. I could sign a contract with you stating that I'm going to stand in place and count to 10 before walking out the door to go to work every morning (before this pandemic when I was actually going to work). It doesn't make it bloody murder if I don't do it. It's completely petty.

That being said, if you can reasonably get it done, you should. If I were in your position, I'd send a reply saying you had attempted to get it mowed, but your landscaper was unresponsive and you're unable to personally guarantee it gets done due to current circumstances, but you will make a best effort to hire someone else to do it. I would also say something to the effect of, "I hope you'll be understanding given the uncertainty of the global pandemic and potential confusion on the reasonable expectations of landscaping services during this time". I'd then email your landscaper and say you haven't heard from them, but you need to have it taken care of immediately, so proceed with the work if it's not done, but you're also going to hire someone else just in case, and if it's done already, no need to repeat it. I'd then contact someone else in the area and basically hire them and offer them $50 or whatever it takes in case it's already done when they get there and there's no need for them to repeat the work. I'd ask the latter to take pictures before and after just to have a visual confirmation of the work so you can dispute any unreasonable charges in case they both claim to have done it.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:04 pm

atikovi wrote:
Not surprising as everyone is home with little or nothing to do. Maybe there are a lot of retirees as well that is well connected to the HOA board?
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

J295

Post by J295 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:16 pm

OP. You state you get multiple notices then you call the lawn guy… It might be prudent to consider whether or not this is on you and not on the board… hiring a capable person to take care of the lawn is not a difficult proposition. (in another post you stated you like to spray the whole yard with round up in the spring and then mow two or three times a year).

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:23 pm

Lawn services are considered essential in our area. Other than that, there is no reason for weeds to infest your lawn other than not using chemicals. It was a bad year in our area, and our lawn had weeds in spite of the service. The owner said that he had been successfully using a product that cost $2,000 in the amount that he purchased but that he had gone to a new product due to the seriousness of weeds among his customers that cost $5,000 for the same amount. Cost to the person servicing your lawn may be the issue.

Tim

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:28 pm

I share if not amplify your disdain for the nincompoops that comprise most HOA boards, but I do have to admit that most of the time when they're citing for weeds it means your lawn looks like crap and you're making it harder for everyone else, especially your neighbors on either side of you, to keep their lawns from looking like crap.

Now if you have a perfectly manicured lawn save for a weed or two and they're choosing a pandemic to harass a remote owner over something inane, you have my deepest sympathies.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:32 pm

J295 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:16 pm
OP. You state you get multiple notices then you call the lawn guy… It might be prudent to consider whether or not this is on you and not on the board… hiring a capable person to take care of the lawn is not a difficult proposition. (in another post you stated you like to spray the whole yard with round up in the spring and then mow two or three times a year).
Yeah, I found that post. OP, if you’re not living in the place and only mowing a couple of times a year (in Florida, no less), I would guess that the property looks like it’s been abandoned, and the HOA has probably been more than patient with you.

Why do you even have the place if you don’t live in it and don’t want to take care of it? When was the last time you were there?
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:33 pm

The issue is your yard is not being mowed. You probably have San Augustine grass & it needs to be mowed every 5-8 days. If its mowed on a regular basis it will choke out the weeds. Consider your neighbors & do what you agreed to do when you signed on the dotted line.
:sharebeer

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:18 pm

atikovi wrote:
It is definitely petty. However, petty circumstances don't void contracts.

However, depending on the activity restrictions in place where the home is located, it could be unlawful for them to try mandate enforcement of a contract like a CCR if doing so would violate the law. It doesn't matter if others are getting their lawns mowed. Some people are doing it themselves, and others may be getting service from companies violating the law (I don't know, just speculating). They allow non-resident ownership, but you may not be able to visit, and your lawn care service might not be able to operate.

You have the opportunity to try to resolve it, and that is likely the easiest route, but keep in mind the above, in case you run into difficulty making arrangements.

If you determine you can not reasonable comply with the contract due to the pandemic, you should probably reach out to the HOA to convey what you have done to try, and get buy-in on a plan to resolve the issue when it again becomes possible.
jibantik wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:19 am
Ditto. I'm surely not a fan of my current neighbors, who are exactly the sort of people HOA's exist to keep out (some would say to discriminate against), but I'm more content dealing with their nuisances than I have been in the times I've dealt with HOA's.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:23 pm

NotWhoYouThink wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:37 pm
Fun OT comment for the week. "That guy" in our neighborhood who complains about everyone else's yard and home maintenance has a gripe with a family whose home is near but not in our HOA. He suggested to the trustees that we invite that homeowner to join our HOA so that we can impose our rules on him.

Nope, not going to make that call. But might pay money to listen in if someone else does.
It's a little more complex, but similar was done by force in our area: a community outside of town was forced to become part of a city, because a provision was buried in their CCR that the mayor could petition on behalf of the residents to become incorporated. The mayor signed the petition (which state law allows to be the final determinator) several dozen times, and none of the residents was allowed to stop him voting on their behalf. If I remember right, the annexation included houses outside the HOA in question, but the size of the proposed annexation was presumably chosen based on the maximum they could leverage the appropriated HOA votes to guarantee passage. The state courts let it stand.

I hope it would be more difficult to forcibly annex a home into an HOA, but after watching that circus unfold, I'm not positive.
Last edited by iamlucky13 on Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:28 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:18 pm
Ditto. I'm surely not a fan of my current neighbors, ....
I like all my neighbors, so I must be the odd one out that they all want to get rid of.

jibantik

Post by jibantik » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:36 pm

FIGHT the HOA. Dandelions are good for pollinators. Let them grow :D

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:56 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:28 pm
iamlucky13 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:18 pm
Ditto. I'm surely not a fan of my current neighbors, ....
I like all my neighbors, so I must be the odd one out that they all want to get rid of.
:D

That reminds me of the statistic that something like 1 out of 10 people is crazy. If you think your 9 closest friends are normal, then it must be you.

veggivet

Post by veggivet » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:15 pm

Larry David will be in touch with you soon. The royalties you make on the episode should more than cover the application of weed killer. :D
If you watch your pennies, your dollars will take care of themselves.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:19 pm

I'm not a fan of HOAs and have owned only 1 house with a HOA. The intent is ok (avoid disasters) but the execution often gets carried away. Certain people are overzealous in giving out warnings/fines (maybe they have nothing to do, they are on a power trip, they don't like the person, etc.). My manager is actually on one HOA committee and he is responsible for taking care of one part of the neighborhood. He isn't the pushy type and just occasionally gives out a warning or a gentle reminder. Other people just pick on everything.

My favorite was when I left my trash can outside for too long. They sent me a warning that said I had 10 days to correct it. So eventually I moved it out back, then did it again a few weeks later :D I mean in those days I would travel and I'd rather leave an empty trash can out front when I wasn't home to move it back, as opposed to keeping a full trash can in the back yard where it wouldn't get emptied and could lead to rodents.

I don't think it is petty and yeah most outdoor stuff is still happening in the vast majority of the US. Sadly HOAs have overtaken too many developments. It is one of a couple of reasons why I may not retire here in Scottsdale.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:32 pm

rich126 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:19 pm
... I would travel ...
Any of the neighbors here would help someone who traveled by moving their trash bins out and back on trash day if asked. Or even if not asked and they knew you were disabled.

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:01 pm

NotWhoYouThink wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:37 pm

That is awesome! I’ve been in 3 different HOAs, and it’s always the same cast of characters.

I’m picturing a guy in his late 60s, wearing khakis and a blue shirt. Maybe one of the earlier owners, was promised things by the builder. Takes a great deal of pride in his grass, and scorns everybody who doesn’t share that passion.