Home Security Cameras

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LC Mike

Home Security Cameras

Post by LC Mike » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:32 pm

I am about to move into a new used house and looking for easy to install and use outside security camera systems. Any recommendations?

BroIceCream

Re: Home Security Cameras

Post by BroIceCream » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:58 pm

Ring.com has reasonable camera systems, and professional monitoring for $100/yr. Clark Howard has also reviewed them on his podcast in the last year.

bikesandbeers

Post by bikesandbeers » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:06 pm

Ring is hard to beat on simplicity. My in laws have a whole bunch on ring products, which they got to replace a traditional DVR based system. They love the alerts and easy of adjustment

I was worried about Ring privacy issues, and didnt want to pay the yearly fee. I already had a Synology home media server, which can double as a DVR for IP cameras.

I got a Armcrest IP camera. It took a little time to get all the Armcresy settings and Synolgy settings to what I wanted. It works well now, although the alerts aren't as nice, and it is a little clunky to review events.

oldmotos

Post by oldmotos » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:33 pm

We have the Ring doorbells but for additional cameras at home and at other properties we went with WYZE. Both were easy to set up and use.

GiraffeGlove

Post by GiraffeGlove » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:52 am

If you're gonna pick up a Ring product, try and get at least one of them from Costco as their Ring product packages come with a 12 month subscription in the box - $100 value. We're pretty happy with our Ring spotlight.

phxjcc

Post by phxjcc » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:52 am

Beware Ring security camera issues after power failures.

You have to manually press reset.

If you place the camera at the top of a peak roof, get out the ladder.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:03 am

We have the Google Nest doorbell, so stayed in that ecosystem and installed Google Nest outdoor security cams. They've been great so far and we've had no issues. They require a power outlet though (we just got lucky and had outdoor outlet options where we wanted the cams). It is really nice not to have to worry about recharging batteries.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:41 am

LC Mike wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:32 pm
I am about to move into a new used house and looking for easy to install and use outside security camera systems. Any recommendations?
Do you want cloud storage or DVR storage? Do you want monthly subscription fees or do you want to pay once and be done? Do you want wireless with batteries to change (or plugged in to an outdoor socket) or wired so you never have to touch them again? If you narrow down your requirements, you will get much better help on here.

ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:33 am

I've been very happy with my Nest cams so far. Both the front doorbell one and the outdoor ones I've picked up.
Last edited by ensign_lee on Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

TrustButVerifying

Post by TrustButVerifying » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:42 am

I have have been very happy with our Ring Video Doorbell Pros and also Ring Stickup Cams. I have had to recharge the battery on the Stickup Cam once (maybe twice) in a year. I think that is pretty good considering it is mounted outdoors. I don't use the Ring Protection Plan with monitoring because inertia and the replacement costs of new sensors and control) has kept me with our existing Alarm system. But for the cost of 2 months monitoring with our existing system, I could get an entire year of the Ring Plan.

One important thing to consider with any wireless system is that very good WiFi coverage is required for them to work properly.

glock19

Post by glock19 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:03 am

I don't have a Ring Doorbell camera but I understand they are very popular. I assume most users of these systems use remote access so they can watch their home while they are away. I was curious as what protocol the Ring system used to remote access into one's home network so the camera can be viewed. Port forwarding, peer-to-peer servers, etc??

I always wondered if a person can remotely access their home network, why would it not be possible for others to do the same, by hacking into the LAN. It is doubtful anyone would want to hack in and watch someone's front porch, but if it is possible why would the hacker not have full access to the LAN?

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:12 am

You need to decide if you want something that's easy to use or something that is useful. Just about every cloud-based consumer camera isn't very good, neither are the 8 pack of cameras and DVR for $299 that you buy at Costco. It will help you recognize someone that you already know or perhaps a stranger that is dumb enough to look directly into the camera at close range, in good lighting, while moving slowly. Check out http://www.ipcamtalk.com a lot more information.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:28 pm

Ring Doorbell is simple to install, but you do have to be aware of the security and privacy settings. Depending on your location, you'll probably also need to post an "audio/video surveillance" notice, since the Ring records audio. Even with that notice, I can't recall how many times I had to tell health care workers for my elderly relative to NOT go outside and talk about other patients in front of my Ring doorbell. I immediately deleted those videos through the app, but I am not confident that Amazon/Ring actually deleted those videos from their research and backend systems. I would never put a Ring camera indoors out of the same concerns about how truly "deleted" a video recording is after I tell the app to delete it.

I've also been eyeballing the Kuna Maximus Smart Security Lights. These are cameras that are integrated into decorative lighting, so they're very easy to install. You just replace your old outside decorative lights with it (after verifying that you have a good WiFi signal by those lights). Kuna seems to be having manufacturing delays though, as they said over a year ago that they were upgrading the lights to 1080p cameras with better field of vision. Their 720p lights are mostly out of stock, but I haven't seen the 1080p lights come to market.

GW208

Post by GW208 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:20 pm

phxjcc wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:52 am
Beware Ring security camera issues after power failures.

You have to manually press reset.

If you place the camera at the top of a peak roof, get out the ladder.
That has not been my experience. We have 2 Ring Spotlight cams, 1 powered continuously and 1 on a switched circuit. The switched one I turn on in the evening and off in the morning and I have never had to press the reset.