Zoom Meeting No Video Camera or Microphone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DTalos

Zoom Meeting No Video Camera or Microphone

Post by DTalos »

My HOA will be having a meeting of the membership via Zoom. I don't have a video camera or microphone, but can I still log-in to the meeting and type in comments for everyone participating to read or will that just create confusion among the participants. If 50 people connect to the meeting, can it get confusing if a lot of people want to speak during an issue?
bampf

Re: Zoom Meeting No Video Camera or Microphone

Post by bampf »

There is a chat function and it can be very powerful. Be careful not to overuse it. Also, if you can't be seen or heard, it is a disadvantage.
burch

Post by burch »

Did they provide a call in number? You could view the video on your computer and participate through your telephone.
Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

burch wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:51 pm Did they provide a call in number? You could view the video on your computer and participate through your telephone.

No, the HOA manager only provided a Meeting ID and Password.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Even if one has a camera and microphone, it is still tough. You should practice ahead of time.

This is going to happen anyways (Zoom tutorial): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3byTN8NTCkc
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Poorman

Post by Poorman »

DTalos wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:48 pm My HOA will be having a meeting of the membership via Zoom. I don't have a video camera or microphone, but can I still log-in to the meeting and type in comments for everyone participating to read or will that just create confusion among the participants. If 50 people connect to the meeting, can it get confusing if a lot of people want to speak during an issue?
No smartphone?
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

The mobile phone you have probably came with headphones that also have a microphone. See if you can plug that in. You may also be able to use a bluetooth headset. If you have one of those new-fangled smartphones, you can join with that.
rob

Post by rob »

Zoom removed the ial-in for free accounts recently (I assume due to volume issues). Can you suggest (or pay for) a premium acct for a month to add a phone nbr? You could also swap to a different conference company.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

DTalos wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:53 pm
burch wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:51 pm Did they provide a call in number? You could view the video on your computer and participate through your telephone.

No, the HOA manager only provided a Meeting ID and Password.
Ask the manager for the telephone dial in numbers. Zoom provides this functionality.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

DTalos wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:48 pm I still log-in to the meeting and type in comments for everyone participating to read or will that just create confusion among the participants. If 50 people connect to the meeting, can it get confusing if a lot of people want to speak during an issue?
Somebody will be running the meeting, just as would be the case if you were all in a room for the meeting.

Sometimes that moderator leaves the "chat box" (place for written comments) open the whole meeting, sometimes not.

Usually, everyone is muted, and cannot speak unless they "raise their hand" and the moderator unmutes them. So typically, only one person talks at any time, just like a well-run meeting.

On your computer, you'll be able to see everyone even if you don't have (or engage) your own video function. Ditto the audio function.
drk

Post by drk »

You should be able to download the app on your phone and use that instead of your computer.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

There are apps that allow you to use your phone as a webcam (you have to install the app on both your phone and the PC that will be used for videoconferencing). I tried one, iVCam, and it works well, but after several days the nagging to pay ($10 I believe) becomes ever more intrusive. Could be worthwhile for some though.
Watty

Post by Watty »

In addition to a smartphone if you have a tablet you should be able to use that.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I remember your earlier posts about HOA drama. If I was on the board I'd figure something out such as using a smart phone or tablet.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

If you have a smartphone, use the free zoom app. Feel free to uninstall the app right after the meeting.

There's probably nothing stopping you from connecting via both the phone and the computer, letting you benefit from the computer's larger screen. If you connect twice, make sure you only connect the audio on one device, or else you'll get feedback and/or echoing.
MJS

Post by MJS »

random_walker_77 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:23 pm If you have a smartphone, use the free zoom app. Feel free to uninstall the app right after the meeting.
I've been family Zooming on an android phone. Put it in Landscape orientation. Tape the phone's back to a brick or beer stein on top of a stack of books so it 1) doesn't jiggle; 2) won't offer a view up your nostrils; and 3) can be an arm's length away instead of showing every pore and wrinkle. Wear a nice solid-color shirt; PJ bottoms are optional.
Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

For the next Zoom meeting, the HOA manager provided a URL and meeting ID/password to a Zoom meeting and also a telephone number with the same meeting ID and password.

Is it logistically easy to connect to the Zoom meeting via my computer and the call-in number at the same time, and then speak via the telephone?
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

DTalos wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:01 pm Is it logistically easy to connect to the Zoom meeting via my computer and the call-in number at the same time, and then speak via the telephone?
Yes. When you connect to the meeting on your PC, there should be an option for "use internet for audio" (or something like that) that can be changed to "I will dial in". When you hit connect, a box should pop up with the number and access code.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

DTalos wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:01 pm For the next Zoom meeting, the HOA manager provided a URL and meeting ID/password to a Zoom meeting and also a telephone number with the same meeting ID and password.

Is it logistically easy to connect to the Zoom meeting via my computer and the call-in number at the same time, and then speak via the telephone?
Yes. You connect to the meeting using the link. Then it asks if you want to connect to audio with the computer or dial in. When you click the dial in button, it gives you the phone number and a code to enter on the phone.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

I bought this device from Amazon for my desktop computer as the monitor does not have a webcam.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088D ... UTF8&psc=1

It worked well - just plug and play.
Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:10 pm
DTalos wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:01 pm For the next Zoom meeting, the HOA manager provided a URL and meeting ID/password to a Zoom meeting and also a telephone number with the same meeting ID and password.

Yes. You connect to the meeting using the link. Then it asks if you want to connect to audio with the computer or dial in. When you click the dial in button, it gives you the phone number and a code to enter on the phone.

If I connect using the dial in button, will I be able to only hear the meeting via my phone, or will I still be able to hear the participants via my computer's speakers?
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

DTalos wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:33 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:10 pm

If I connect using the dial in button, will I be able to only hear the meeting via my phone, or will I still be able to hear the participants via my computer's speakers?
You will be able to hear from both BUT you could cause issues if you don't mute your phone (sound from computer goes into your phone causing echoing for everyone) so you should probably shut your speakers off. .
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

If it's this important for you, pony up 30 bucks and get a camera/microphone.

https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Study ... s9dHJ1ZQ==
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

don't be the person crinkling a bag of chips through the entire meeting or slurping soup and not muting your mic. Also, don't be 'that guy' who sits super close to his camera and all you see is half their forehead and their left eye.
I think I've seen it all in the past X months.

Going to the meeting on a bigger screen (not a phone) and using grid-view is useful.
zeal

Post by zeal »

You can click the link to join the zoom meeting any time--doesnt have to be the actual meeting time. That way you can practice. When you first join, it will have a few options: "join with computer audio" will make the meeting audio come from your computer's speakers, or "call me" lets you type in your phone number and the system will call you, so all audio will be through your phone. Both of these options are just for audio--if you don't have a webcam, you can't share your video. You'll still be able to see everyone else's video on the computer though.

Alternatively, you can download the Zoom app on a smartphone/tablet and join using the same methods, but you would then of course be able to share video of yourself via the phone/tablet camera.