Switching from Android to iPhone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tc101

Switching from Android to iPhone

Post by tc101 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:38 pm

I am thinking of getting and iPhone. How much trouble is it to switch from from Android to iPhone? I use gmail. I have a chromebook that is tied in with the gmail google world. I don't have any apple products. Is any of that much of a problem? Can I get an iPhone and still use gmail and gmaps and all the google products I am used to using?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

bloom2708

Re: Switching from Android to iPhone

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:44 pm

Your Gmail account can/could be your Apple ID email.

Yes, you can use all your favorite Google and Microsoft apps on iPhone. OneDrive, Google Photos, Office365, Google Maps, Outlook, etc.

The switch is fairly easy, but it may be time consuming. Re-installing and logging into all your apps takes a bit of time.

It is a good time to look at passwords, 2 factor authentication.

I've had both. Currently all 5 family members are on iPhones. I use iCloud backup and we all use Apple Music. It is easier to be on the same platform for some things.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

student

Post by student » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:55 pm

I have used android and iphone. They are very similar. You should have no problem switching.

billthecat

Post by billthecat » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:56 pm

Move from Android to iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201196
We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails.

CyberBob

Post by CyberBob » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:08 pm

There is a Move to IOS app that will transfer stuff for you.
Alternatively, they will do it for you at an Apple Store (when they reopen from corona virus closure).
You can also attend 'how-to' classes at the Apple Store to get you started (also temporarily paused due to the corona virus closure).

tm3

Post by tm3 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:10 pm

I made the switch recently. Long time user of the Apple ecosystem, except for the iPhone as I felt like android was comparable and a better buy. I made the jump this time because of the new camera on the 11 Pro, and it is very impressive.

Having said that, if not for the camera I'd stick with android as I don't believe that the iPhone is hundreds of dollars better. Actually in some respects I find it worse.

And to answer your original question, the only real problem that I encountered was getting my photos from one phone to the other. They made it over but I had over 600 photos laid out in a confusing mishmash -- no folders, no time sequence, etc. It took me a long time to clean up and organize. I use google calendar, google notes, etc. instead of the Apple counterparts as they seem to be laid out better and they all work fine on the iPhone.

Last time I switched from one android to the other, it was totally seamless. Even the photos.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:35 pm

Yes you can do it.

Things that will be better:
- More apps

Worse:
- Integration with a PC
- Apps will often cost you money
- Not as customizable (eg. apple limits what keyboards you can use)

My wife had an iphone, will never go through that pain again. But many people are happy, it's likely fine if you don't mind living in Apple's sandbox.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:12 pm

No problem.

I use them interchangeably.

There will be slight differences, but I find differences in iPhones
that are annoying from version to version.

I did not like the dropping of the headphone jack. I had
bluetooth on my iPhone 5s, so I could have used bluetooth
headphones on it, so when they dropped the jack (iPhone 7 I believe)
they forced (expensive) blue tooth earbuds on people.

I also like iTunes, and they are getting rid of it for a subscription service.
Not a fan of Apple Music.

Both items seem like a way to pull more dollars out of consumers.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:44 am

MathWizard wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:12 pm
I did not like the dropping of the headphone jack. I had
bluetooth on my iPhone 5s, so I could have used bluetooth
headphones on it, so when they dropped the jack (iPhone 7 I believe)
they forced (expensive) blue tooth earbuds on people.
They included an adapter so you could use your regular headphones.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:58 am

So you use all Google Apps and currently are using a Googles OS phone (Android) and you want to move to Apples phone and continue to use Google apps. Are you looking for places to spend more money needlessly? :)
Google apps will run but some features may not work as well. Also - some of the features/apps you have used for free in the past you may need to pay for. This on top of the phone costing more than a similared powered Android based phone. I am sure you have a reason but most that have iPhones have them because they like the Apple ecosystem.

megabad

Post by megabad » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:11 am

The only negative I can see is the headphone jack mentioned above. This is only an issue if you have big expensive wired headphones like me and despise having to carry an extra dongle that is easy to lose. Otherwise average person has cheap Bluetooth earbuds already. Photos move over seemlessly because you should be using google photos. Contacts moved over no problem because I use outlook. Gmail IOS app works great. Only problem I have had was with google calendar and tasks but these apps are glitchy for me even on Android so I just use outlook. You made the right choice. So far, my cost of ownership is about the same between Apple and Android but I would have had to trash my Android this year since Google refuses to offer long term support on their phones. I anticipate about five years out of an Apple and 3 years out of Google. Over the life of the phone, I think I will come out way ahead. Looking forward to the new IPhone SE. Welcome to the dark side.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:21 pm

iOS has become a little less of a sandbox than before, and more stuff than ever lives in the cloud, so this is less of an issue than it used to be. For example, I keep my docs in OneDrive, and the app works great between Windows, Android, and iOS. Google apps still have a bit of second-class status in iOS compared to Apple's own (or Google Apps in Android). As an example: Google Maps is available on iOS and even works with CarPlay, but the very useful split-screen CarPlay view that iOS 13 introduced only works with Apple Maps thus far.

If you do make the switch, use Outlook with your Gmail instead of the Gmail app or the native Mail app. It will give you push notifications and focused inbox (iOS Mail doesn't) and allows searching from iOS's search box (Gmail's app doesn't, best I can tell). Outlook for iOS is sleek and fast, nothing like the desktop version (probably because Microsoft didn't make it - it started out as Accompli).