Yokohama vs Arizonian Tires

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DTalos

Yokohama vs Arizonian Tires

Post by DTalos »

My senior citizen relative would like to replace the Michelin Primacy tires on his Toyota Avalon. I have experience with Michelin Primacy tires and Yokohama Avid Touring tires on sedans in that both offer a soft, comfortable ride.That is what my senior relative is after. Longevity isn't that important because the summer heat in Arizona causes dry rot well before the 50k-60k mileage rating of the tire.

Budget is under $130 a tire before all the installation add-ons, so Michelin is out.

If anyone has comments about the Yokohama Avid Touring vs Yokohama Avid Envigor vs Discount Tire Arizonian tires, please proffer them.

Thank you.
jabberwockOG

Re: Yokohama vs Arizonian Tires

Post by jabberwockOG »

Most of the time you get what you pay for in tires. There are many places in life to try to save a few bucks, but getting new tires on a car you intend to keep is not one of those places. Michelin makes very high quality tires. Pay the extra money for the best tires available because over the lifespan of the tires, $100-200 means nothing compared to having high quality tires that can save your life. And of course buy them on sale and/or when there is really good rebate, etc.
Liam Friend

Post by Liam Friend »

I’ve had good success with Yokohama Avids on 2-3 vehicles. Good wet traction, ride, and longevity. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy them again.
5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim »

Arizonian tires are made by Cooper Tires as a private label line for Discount Tire. We’ve had them on a couple of cars, no issues at all.
Ged

Post by Ged »

Aside from Michelin and Avid you may want to consider Continental tires.
wallygator

Post by wallygator »

UGH! Had Yokohamas on lexus rx330 for 3 years. Every month they got louder and louder. Got rid of them with probably 3 more years of tread life. Went back to Michelins (costco) and will never buy another brand....
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

tirerack.com has a good tool where you enter your car's specifics and your driving specifics and gives recommendations.
Cactuscoug

Post by Cactuscoug »

Consumer Reports really likes General Tire, AltiMax RT43 tires. They are rated #1 under "All Season" tires. $87 each - - you could probably find them for less.

We put a set on our Avalon a fews months ago, and are happy.
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

Ged wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:11 pm Aside from Michelin and Avid you may want to consider Continental tires.
I was always a Michelin Man (not because I looked like one) but have recently switched to Continentals. For my specific Hondas, the Continentals are a bit cheaper but also have a much better snow/wet traction and are a little softer so more comfortable. The Michelins also get that ugly "micro cracking" in the sidewalls very quickly. They've always lasted, but they look like they are about to fail even when they are 3 years old. It's just cosmetic at that point but still ugly.
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

Cactuscoug wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:00 am Consumer Reports really likes General Tire, AltiMax RT43 tires. They are rated #1 under "All Season" tires. $87 each - - you could probably find them for less.

We put a set on our Avalon a fews months ago, and are happy.
General Tire is a Continental budget label for those who are wondering

I agree with using TireRack as a research source. Lots of ratings and then actually do some real testing with lots of data. Then I tend to actually buy at Discount Tire. Always best prices when you negotiate and the service is great.
Sami

Post by Sami »

Ged wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:11 pm Aside from Michelin and Avid you may want to consider Continental tires.
+1 to Continentals. I recently replaced the original tires on a Civic with PureContact LS and they have been amazingly quiet and comfortable. Got them from Discount Tire.
jstert

Post by jstert »

i replaced oem continental tires on my vw passat with kelly edge (a goodyear brand), on sale for $55 each at 42k miles 4 yrs ago. now at 85k miles and 5 or 6/32 tread left. a 1-2 mpg highway decrease until i bumped up tire psi from 29 to 34. the kellys are a bit less athletic in the turns than the contis but so am i.