Home office monitor?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ChiKid24

Home office monitor?

Post by ChiKid24 »

Like many, I'm now working from home and started looking into monitors to use with my laptop. In my away from home office I have dual monitors which is useful as I work between a number of files at any given time. Hoping to replicate that setup at home in a sleeker manner by avoiding two monitors and using one nice large one that can support multiple windows. Anyone have a good recommendation that won't break the bank? Thanks all in advance!
onourway

Re: Home office monitor?

Post by onourway »

What size and resolution monitors are you using at work? How much are you thinking of spending here?

Personally I would look for a monitor a minimum of 27" in size, and ideally 4k resolution or higher.

A 34" ultra wide is a good option for many as it's wide enough to easily put 2-3 windows side by side, but a bit lower than 4k resolution which is easier for business class laptop video cards to drive. However these tend to be quite expensive at ~$800 for a brand-name.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I agree a dual-monitor setup is very useful, but if you have a laptop you really just need one normal monitor, not two or some super-wide monitor that will hog your desk. I use the laptop's (smaller) display as the secondary one, for email, internet research, YouTube, whatever. I use a stand (https://www.amazon.com/Rain-Design-mSta ... 000OOYECC/) so that the laptop display and monitor are at more or less the same height, this also frees up some desk space.
Topic Author
ChiKid24

Post by ChiKid24 »

onourway wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:49 pm What size and resolution monitors are you using at work? How much are you thinking of spending here?

Personally I would look for a monitor a minimum of 27" in size, and ideally 4k resolution or higher.
Thank you. Unfortunately I'm not super techie so can't speak to what I'm using at work. Would like to keep it in the $500 range +/- $100? Is 4k resolution necessary? Perhaps that's what I have in the office, but I don't need it for any video. Mainly just showing Microsoft Office suite (ppt, word, excel) and some internet browsing. Was thinking 32" or 34" to allow for multiple windows.
Topic Author
ChiKid24

Post by ChiKid24 »

02nz wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:51 pm I agree a dual-monitor setup is very useful, but if you have a laptop you really just need one normal monitor, not two or some super-wide monitor that will hog your desk. I use the laptop's (smaller) display as the secondary one, for email, internet research, YouTube, whatever. I use a stand (https://www.amazon.com/Rain-Design-mSta ... 000OOYECC/) so that the laptop display and monitor are at more or less the same height, this also frees up some desk space.
I've never been one to use the laptop as a second (or third) screen. The setup I'd have would include a separate wireless mouse and keyboard, so opening the laptop to use that screen and having another keyboard just feels clunky to me. Probably more cost effective and I know it works for some.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

ChiKid24 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:56 pm
onourway wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:49 pm What size and resolution monitors are you using at work? How much are you thinking of spending here?

Thank you. Unfortunately I'm not super techie so can't speak to what I'm using at work. Would like to keep it in the $500 range +/- $100? Is 4k resolution necessary? Perhaps that's what I have in the office, but I don't need it for any video. Mainly just showing Microsoft Office suite (ppt, word, excel) and some internet browsing. Was thinking 32" or 34" to allow for multiple windows.
32"+ on 1080P will look awful at typical monitor distance, and it will be really tall (think neck strain). If you go that big 4K is a requirement IMO. It's nothing to do with watching video, but a matter of text resolution. 32" text will be fuzzy at 1080p unless you zoom in, reducing the amount of stuff you can effectively display. With 4k you can display crisp text even at small sizes.

Or - you can get the 34" ultra wide displays which have unusual resolutions because they're effectively two regular monitors side by side.

The cheap solution is two 1080P monitors for $120 each. The nicer solution is a single 27" 4k for $300-$500 depending on quality. The ultimate setup is an ultra wide display or two 27" 4k on a mount arm.

I'd also recommend an IPS monitor (as opposed to TN especially) for better image quality, color representation, and viewing angle. This information usually is listed with the regular monitor specs.
Topic Author
ChiKid24

Post by ChiKid24 »

dukeblue219 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:10 pm

32"+ on 1080P will look awful at typical monitor distance, and it will be really tall (think neck strain). If you go that big 4K is a requirement IMO. It's nothing to do with watching video, but a matter of text resolution. 32" text will be fuzzy at 1080p unless you zoom in, reducing the amount of stuff you can effectively display. With 4k you can display crisp text even at small sizes.

Or - you can get the 34" ultra wide displays which have unusual resolutions because they're effectively two regular monitors side by side.

The cheap solution is two 1080P monitors for $120 each. The nicer solution is a single 27" 4k for $300-$500 depending on quality. The ultimate setup is an ultra wide display or two 27" 4k on a mount arm.

I'd also recommend an IPS monitor (as opposed to TN especially) for better image quality, color representation, and viewing angle. This information usually is listed with the regular monitor specs.
Ahhh....that makes sense on the resolution. Thank you. A friend recommended the Dell U3417W to me which I think hits the items you discussed. Price tag is about $800. I also found an LG one LG34WL500-B 34" which is only $350. Feels like it would be tough for the quality of the first one (Dell) to be worth that much more than the second (LG). Anything stand out to you that might be a watch out on the LG?
onourway

Post by onourway »

As noted, the 4k is for extra workspace and sharper text, not for video. I also kind of agree with the option to buy two smaller 1920x1080 monitors if budget and lots of workspace is the primary goal. You'll get nearly the same amount of resolution as the $800 ultra-wide monitors, but have to deal with two monitors rather than one- but that's what you are used to from the office already.

My default for choosing monitors is to buy something from the Dell business line. They are consistently high quality and reasonable prices.
ejm009

Post by ejm009 »

I recently went with this:

Samsung - UJ59 Series U32J590UQN 32" LED 4K UHD FreeSync Monitor - Dark Gray/Blue

$400 at Bestbuy

I do not believe the LG 34" you reference is 4K (3480 X 2160) display resolution.

Also consider the cable, I prefer DisplayPort over HDMI.
Polymorphic

Post by Polymorphic »

I'm not sure what "break the bank" means in your situation, but I consider the Dell U3818DW to be one of the best tech investments I've ever made. It's a 38" ultra-wide with a resolution of 3840x1600, so horizontally, it's like having two 1080P displays, but with quite a bit more vertical resolution.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

I have dual Dell E2414H monitors. I got them for something like $90 each several years ago. They are 24" 1080P monitors, nothing special.

Screen viewing is perfect for both home and work applications.

I don't think you need anything special. If I were to do it now, I'd get a single ultrawide.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I bought a $127 Phillips 27" monitor at Amazon a few weeks ago. Works fine for email and browser based apps which is what I do from my work laptop. It is not height adjustable so I use some books. I'd link it for you but it is no longer available. I decided I would risk a lower cost solution and not spend 10x more. So far I'm glad I did not spend 10x more.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I got spoiled using an iMac and the monitor (27") was great. When I built a PC I made sure to get something similar, spec wise and got a Visio.

Nowadays they are similar to:
Retina 5K display

27-inch (diagonal) Retina 5K display
5120‑by‑2880 resolution with support for one billion colors
500 nits brightness
Wide color (P3)

One issue is that to get that quality you need a video card capable of providing that detail. So a laptop may not give you what the monitor is capable of. I know when I built my computer a few years ago I had to find a good video card (not for gaming but just for the video quality).

If you are only going to be using it with the laptop, find what the laptop can support.
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

As mentioned above, before buying the monitor(s) make certain your laptop will handle multiple displays at the desired resolution and also think about how you will connect all the devices together.
Topic Author
ChiKid24

Post by ChiKid24 »

earlyout wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:04 pm As mentioned above, before buying the monitor(s) make certain your laptop will handle multiple displays at the desired resolution and also think about how you will connect all the devices together.
Thanks for this. Is there somewhere in my laptop settings I should look to see what it can handle? Here is what I see in advanced display settings:
Desktop Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Refresh Rate (Hz): 60Hz
Bit depth: 6-bit
Color format: RGB
Color space: Standard dynamic range (SDR)
ejm009

Post by ejm009 »

You are likely seeing what it is doing with the display being used, do you know the make and model ? - internet search will then show what its capabilities are.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

At home, I've been a "giant monitor" guy for about 15 years. Currently using a 49" Sony 4k TV which I paid $558 for, and loving it. The current version of what I'm using runs about $650. Check Rtings.com to find a TV in your price range that gets a good "PC Monitor" score.
DCode

Post by DCode »

OP,

Like ejm mentioned, I think if you post your laptop make and model we could be more helpful. More than likely your laptop is only going to support adding 1 external monitor. So if you don't want to use your laptop monitor or purchase an ultra-wide, you may need to look into a docking station.

I assume you can't bring your at-work hardware home? I started work-from-home a couple weeks ago and brought my laptop and docking station home to hookup to my existing dual-monitor setup. Effectively mimicking my at-work setup.
othermike27

Post by othermike27 »

OP, here's another alternative: ASUS MB16AC USB Screen. I bought mine at Micro Center for ~$250, but I think Best Buy has them now for $199. This is a really thin, light and portable add-on screen with a USB-C connection that I use on the road or at home as a second screen. I have a Dell Latitude 7490 which delivers enough power via USB-Cto run the extra screen. I am told you can attach more than one of these if needed. You said you wanted another screen to have multiple windows open - this is a great addition.

There are cheaper add-on portable screens but I like this one.
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

For just spreadsheets you don't need to go above $150. I have a 24" Sceptre that was around $110 and is perfectly fine. I have it on a tall-ish stand so it is at eye level directly above my laptop screen and I do the most eye-intensive work on it, while keeping email, etc, below.
Topic Author
ChiKid24

Post by ChiKid24 »

DCode wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:43 pm OP,

Like ejm mentioned, I think if you post your laptop make and model we could be more helpful. More than likely your laptop is only going to support adding 1 external monitor. So if you don't want to use your laptop monitor or purchase an ultra-wide, you may need to look into a docking station.

I assume you can't bring your at-work hardware home? I started work-from-home a couple weeks ago and brought my laptop and docking station home to hookup to my existing dual-monitor setup. Effectively mimicking my at-work setup.
I've got an Lenovo ThinkPad T480. Correct, work hardware is at the office. Was hoping to avoid a docking station as this will sit in a loft/study area so really want something clean. Hence the reason I'm trying to avoid dual monitors as well.
ejm009

Post by ejm009 »

Your hardware can certainly do 4K=UHD=(3480 X 2160). If you want the single monitor, my Samsung recommendation would still be valid. Also make sure work has no restrictions. Many places require a VPN running on their hardware to connect.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

ChiKid24 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:45 pm Like many, I'm now working from home and started looking into monitors to use with my laptop. In my away from home office I have dual monitors which is useful as I work between a number of files at any given time. Hoping to replicate that setup at home in a sleeker manner by avoiding two monitors and using one nice large one that can support multiple windows. Anyone have a good recommendation that won't break the bank? Thanks all in advance!
https://www.costco.com/computers.html?s ... ryId=30004

Check out the 34" monitor at Costco. You could try it first and return if you do not like it. No restocking fee. They are around $300 to $400.

KlangFool
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

ChiKid24 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:56 pm

I've got an Lenovo ThinkPad T480. Correct, work hardware is at the office. Was hoping to avoid a docking station as this will sit in a loft/study area so really want something clean. Hence the reason I'm trying to avoid dual monitors as well.
ChiKid24,

Your laptop has USB-C ports.

<<2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1** (one Always On)
1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C (Power Delivery, DisplayPort, Data transfer)
1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C / Intel Thunderbolt 3 (Power Delivery, DisplayPort, Data transfer)>>

All you need is a USB-C hub to connect external monitors.

https://www.anker.com/products/114/142/usbc-hubs

I like the USB-C hub from Anker.

KlangFool
Topic Author
ChiKid24

Post by ChiKid24 »

KlangFool wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:31 pm

ChiKid24,

1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C / Intel Thunderbolt 3 (Power Delivery, DisplayPort, Data transfer)>>

KlangFool
The hub is a great add. Thank you. Like that it's not a bulky docking station but allows for multiple inputs. The Acer monitors on Costco don't have the best reviews, though free returns are nice. I'm leaning to the Samsung one referenced above. I'm a BestBuy member and have total tech support for the year so can use that if I run into any setup issues. Thanks all!
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

ChiKid24 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:49 pm

ChiKid24,

KlangFool
The hub is a great add. Thank you. Like that it's not a bulky docking station but allows for multiple inputs. The Acer monitors on Costco don't have the best reviews, though free returns are nice. I'm leaning to the Samsung one referenced above. I'm a BestBuy member and have total tech support for the year so can use that if I run into any setup issues. Thanks all!
ChiKid24 ,

I would not buy any monitor and/or computer from BestBuy. They charge a restocking fee for returns.

Costco has free tech support too.

KlangFool
j9j

Post by j9j »

A suggestion, if you want a really clean setup then splurge for a monitor with a usbc connection. This will allow one cable from you monitor to your laptop that will charge your laptop, run audio and video, and data.

A highly recommended monitor to enable this is the dell u3419 34inch ultrawide. After using many different types of monitors I have settled on this ultrawide over regular 27/4K monitors. This dell model has speakers and several usbA ports so you really would need nothing else for most purposes.
Topic Author
ChiKid24

Post by ChiKid24 »

j9j wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:58 pm A suggestion, if you want a really clean setup then splurge for a monitor with a usbc connection. This will allow one cable from you monitor to your laptop that will charge your laptop, run audio and video, and data.

A highly recommended monitor to enable this is the dell u3419 34inch ultrawide. After using many different types of monitors I have settled on this ultrawide over regular 27/4K monitors. This dell model has speakers and several usbA ports so you really would need nothing else for most purposes.
Well now we're full circle as this is actually the first one that someone recommended prior to me asking the Boglehead forum. Price tag of ~$800 seems 2x other models. Totally understand there's a difference in quality (that curved screen is sweet too), just not sure if the added features are worth that much to me. Ahhhhh....more research to do. Thanks all!
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Suggestion. Try a used PC store.

There are lots of tech firms locally and they replace PCs periodically (~3yrs). One local sole proprietor business specializes in picking up and recycling/selling the old PCs.

I"m looking for a new PC, and a desktop Dell i3 + 24" monitor was $250.

So in your case, 2x 24" monitors should be <$250.

If you can find such a business, call them and see what they have and can suggest. Then take your laptop in and let them see what they can put together for you. If you like it in the store, should work okay when you get it home.
Last edited by dratkinson on Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

ChiKid24,

KlangFool
Or even simpler, just a USB-C to DisplayPort cable like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EXKDRAC/

There are also cables that have HDMI on the other end.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

KlangFool wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:58 pm I would not buy any monitor and/or computer from BestBuy. They charge a restocking fee for returns.
This is incorrect. Best Buy charges restocking fee on some items, like cell phones, but not laptops or monitors. Their policy is here: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-topic ... 0800050014

I can confirm that I returned a laptop recently to Best Buy, no restocking fee.
cartophile

Post by cartophile »

4K computer monitors are expensive compared to 4K consumer television sets, which normally start just a little bit larger in size. I'm using a Samsung 40" TV (UN40KU6300) exclusively as my computer monitor and I'm really happy with the extra screen space. It's equivalent to a 2x2 grid of four 20" HD monitors but with no seams between them.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

gtownsend wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:49 pm 4K computer monitors are expensive compared to 4K consumer television sets, which normally start just a little bit larger in size. I'm using a Samsung 40" TV (UN40KU6300) exclusively as my computer monitor and I'm really happy with the extra screen space. It's equivalent to a 2x2 grid of four 20" HD monitors but with no seams between them.
If you aren't far enough away, this kind of setup can be really irritating. That's a lot of head movements and eyestrain over the course of a full day. Then you need a good TV because a poor TV makes for a horrendous monitor.

I know it works for some people, but for an average teleworker I'd still recommend 2x24", something around 1x27", or an ultra wide. Buying from Costco would be great for the return policy in case it isn't right.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

I am in the same position. I mostly work with spreadsheets/text etc.

At home I have a Dell 2419HC it's not quite working for me. What is amazing about it is that it has USB-c so all my peripherals plug into the monitor then I just need to connect my laptop to the monitor using USB-C and thats it, one wire everything is connected. The monitor even charges the laptop. Dell Ultrasharp models also have an eye comfort mode which reduces the blue light output and puts less strain on your eyes. I've always been sensitive to that, and I can say for certain, even with the blue light blocking on my eye glasses, the eye comfort mode on the Dell reduces strain even further compared to having it turned off.

What doesn't work for me though is the size of the display. If I need to look at 2 windows at once, its a bit small for that but doable. But I prefer having my main focus directly in front of me and then some windows to the sides for reference and messaging. With a 24" or 27" monitor, you can't really have your main window directly in front of you while having other windows open, you have to sort of put each window to the side and then nothing is centered.

I've also tried putting my laptop on a stand and using that as a secondary screen but its clunky and the screen is so small that it's pretty useless.

After speaking with several colleagues about what works best for them, almost all of them have recommended the ultra wide dell 3419W. It is curved, ultrawide screen and allows you to have your primary window directly in front of you and you can have other windows on the sides no problem. It also has USB-C and speakers built in so I wouldn't have to open my laptop to hear audio. It's $769 right now on Dell website. If you don't need USB-C, you can get the 3415W for $659 and its pretty much the same except the USBC...I think the convenience of USB-C is worth the extra $100.

Personally I plan on going for the 3419W. It seems that would suit your needs too since we have very similar use cases.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

02nz wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:41 pm
KlangFool wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:58 pm I would not buy any monitor and/or computer from BestBuy. They charge a restocking fee for returns.
This is incorrect. Best Buy charges restocking fee on some items, like cell phones, but not laptops or monitors. Their policy is here: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-topic ... 0800050014

I can confirm that I returned a laptop recently to Best Buy, no restocking fee.
02nz,

Costco's return policy is still better. It is for 90 days.

https://customerservice.costco.com/app/ ... /related/1

KlangFool
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

Used monitors are dime a dozen. Most are under $20. You can get dvi to hdmi converters for $9. For the sake of your wallet and the environment please consider buying used. There is no rule that dual monitors have to match either. Mine are always a little different and it never bothers me.
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

My monitor is a 55" Samsung 4K TV. It cost about $1000 at Costco a couple of years ago but similar models are now in the $500 range. I would buy another similar monitor if this one died.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
onourway

Post by onourway »

ChiKid24 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:49 pm

ChiKid24,

KlangFool
I would avoid a hub like these if your goal is to have a clean, neat setup. These are really best suited for adding a variety of extra ports on the go. For fixed home or office use, either get a usb-c monitor with pass-through charging of at least 60W (90W would be better) or spend a bit more for a proper usb-c or Thunderbolt dock.

There are a number of problems with the hubs - first - with a short, fixed cable length, you end up with a mass of cables connected to this small device at all different angles. There is no way to neatly hide that out of sight, and in some cases, the strain from the larger monitor/Ethernet cables actually causes the usb-c connection to your computer to be unreliable as slight movements may cause it to momentarily disconnect. A big deal when everything is passing through.

Second, many of those hubs only support 4K resolution at 30hz - you need 60hz for smooth movements.

Third, many of them only pass through 60W of charging power, or less - but then take about 15W for the hub. Your T480 may not charge at all on less than 60W.

The Dell U3419W suggested multiple times is expensive, but it is effectively 2 large monitors in one, plus a docking station, all integrated. You’d have a single monitor and a single cable going to your laptop. If you can afford it and will use it when this work at home situation is over, I’d go that route.
othermike27

Post by othermike27 »

The Dell U3419W seems to be out of stock, even at Dell. Amazon shows a couple 3rd party sources, but one is used and the other wants >$950. :shock:
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

I have one of these, an ultra wide LG model:

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-29UM6 ... de-monitor

I love it - I can have 2 documents side by side and a third on my laptop screen. I don't remember exactly what I paid, but I'm cheap and it must have been under $400.00.

It has some cool functions handling multiple windows, switching between them easily.