Appliance doesn't work in newly-built home

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

Appliance doesn't work in newly-built home

Post by Kennedy »

If someone buys a home from a builder and one of the appliances (microwave in this case) that came with the home doesn't work right off the bat, what is a reasonable solution? I have no idea what the home purchase contract/warranty says about the issue, although I suspect it will be dispositive.

With paperwork aside, in this scenario, the builder told the new homeowner that he must contact the appliance manufacturer for repair. The manufacturer is sending out a technician to attempt a repair before the microwave is replaced with a new one.

Is it unreasonable to insist that the builder replace the appliance? In other words, didn't the buyer purchase a brand-new, functioning microwave rather than one that was (or soon will be) refurbished? Is the appliance essentially good as new if it is opened and the mother board is replaced?
livesoft

Re: Appliance doesn't work in newly-built home

Post by livesoft »

I think they simply forgot to plug it in, but you didn't tell us what "doesn't work" means. I'd let the tech look at before posting to bogleheads myself.

Also, I'd let the tech fix it, too, rather than replace it.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

It's not for me. It's my brother's new house. The microwave will work for a few seconds, and then it shuts off displaying an error message.
sport

Post by sport »

We have had some circuit boards replaced in appliances. We have found that the replacement parts can be more reliable than the original parts.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Kennedy wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:09 pm It's not for me. It's my brother's new house. The microwave will work for a few seconds, and then it shuts off displaying an error message.
Did the home inspector check the microwave?

I personally think a good home inspection would have caught this, but perhaps it works long enough for a basic check to succeed most of the time.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

What is in the contract re appliances? It should be spelled out and most times it will be the appliance manufacturers issue. About the only time the builder will replace is before or during the punch list review of pre move in defects.
Last edited by bob60014 on Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Agree, what does the contract for purchase say?

why not wait to see what the manufacturer's rep says? It'd one thing if just a loose wire or even could be the plug receptacle improperly installed. Anything else, then yes, insist on a completely new appliance be installed, not refurb.