How do you maximize enjoyment after achieving FI?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tryingtogetahead

How do you maximize enjoyment after achieving FI?

Post by tryingtogetahead » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:46 pm

My spouse and I save about 87% of our NI, have no debt and enjoy our life but, now that we have achieved a base level of FI, we are questioning whether there are ways we can spend a little more money to maximize our happiness, but do not know how. For context, we are in our 30s and have a NW of over $3mm and save over $350k/yr. ZERO debt including no mortgage. We want to continue a high savings rate to maintain security but feel we have a little flexibility. Any suggestions? Is it just a bigger house and faster car? We do not want to FIRE or just give all of the money away. We find no value in just saving 80%+ every year but also don't know how much happiness or fulfillment comes from leasing a car for $1,200/month or buying a 7,000 SF home that reqs constant maintenance.

rbaldini

Re: How do you maximize enjoyment after achieving FI?

Post by rbaldini » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:48 pm

Obviously you can afford to spend more. Are you asking us what we think you should spend your money on?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:50 pm

Backpacking away from civilization for days on end.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

kidshrink

Post by kidshrink » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:53 pm

This thread has classic potential. I'm surprised it hasn't been done before.

For me, I go to talk therapy 2x per week. Best money I've ever spent.

Topic Author
tryingtogetahead

Post by tryingtogetahead » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:54 pm

rbaldini wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:48 pm
Obviously you can afford to spend more. Are you asking us what we think you should spend your money on?
Yes, beyond the obvious, or is that what people do? I honestly don’t know what else to do so I do nothing but I just feel that it doesn’t make sense to save 87% each year in perpetuity.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:56 pm

Start giving away your money and knowledge in order to make a difference in the world. Example: Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

jnet2000

Post by jnet2000 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:59 pm

tryingtogetahead wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:46 pm
My spouse and I save about 87% of our NI, have no debt and enjoy our life but, now that we have achieved a base level of FI, we are questioning whether there are ways we can spend a little more money to maximize our happiness, but do not know how. For context, we are in our 30s and have a NW of over $3mm and save over $350k/yr. ZERO debt including no mortgage. We want to continue a high savings rate to maintain security but feel we have a little flexibility. Any suggestions? Is it just a bigger house and faster car? We do not want to FIRE or just give all of the money away. We find no value in just saving 80%+ every year but also don't know how much happiness or fulfillment comes from leasing a car for $1,200/month or buying a 7,000 SF home that reqs constant maintenance.
Great job!I don't think stuff is going to make you any happier. Why not spend some money on some amazing experiences?
"You really don't need leverage in this world much. If you're smart, you're going to make a lot of money without borrowing" Warren Buffet

njdealguy

Post by njdealguy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:59 pm

By base level of FI, does it mean you can theoretically live off your assets at a 4% annual withdrawal rate? If so I'd continue plugging away at accumulating more savings until the FI enables just a 2% or 3% withdrawal rate before allowing for some lifestyle inflation accordingly!

mhc

Post by mhc » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:01 pm

Use your money to help others in need. The joy from helping others far surpasses a large home or fast car.

anon3838

Post by anon3838 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:02 pm

It sounds like you’re wanting to know how your money might bring you happiness...

ginrummy

Post by ginrummy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:03 pm

Never fly coach again.

Planner01

Post by Planner01 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:03 pm

Saving and investing without a why, motivation is pointless. You said that you wanted to achieve financial security. That’s a start, but for what? Dig into your why and the answer on how to find happiness within FI will come to you.

Here’s an example:
I want a FI so that I can have financial security?
Why? So what I don’t have to worry about getting laid off.
Why? So that I can have peace and not worry.
And then what? Then I’d like to spend more time doing the things I like.
Like what? Like traveling, like painting, like spending time with family.
Why? Because just spending one week at a time in one place didn’t feel like it was long enough. Because painting is something I enjoy but never have time for. Because I like to develop a closer bond with my family and see them more often.

See what I mean? Keep digging into those why’s until you find the real motivating behind your desire you be financially independent and go after the things that truly make you happy.

Blender

Post by Blender » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:04 pm

Since you're a super saver I think you'll find spending money on stuff only brings temporary satisfaction, and then you end up burdened with having to maintain it, protect it, store it, etc. Do you have any hobbies? This is a really hard question to answer without knowing you or your spouse's interests and desires.

If it was me I'd want to do things to enrich our life. That would be lots of travel and experiences, visiting friends and family, exploring the world around us and meeting as many people along the way. Obviously that's a little hard at the moment, and your current employment may limit a lot of those possibilities. But I'd at least dedicate a nice chunk for yearly vacations and go all out. Also, helping others can bring happiness, and that sometimes doesn't even require money.

Poorman

Post by Poorman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:05 pm

Don't be a fool and think larger house and car buy happiness. If you are happy without spending money you are happy... What's wrong with that? But if I was you, travel around, find what you like. Do volunteering all over the world at workaway.info. Doing that you can try things and meet people that you normally wouldn't. I volunteered at a farm/tourist/meditation/retreat thing in Taiwan.

celia

Post by celia » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:06 pm

There's more to life than "enjoyment". Why should that be maximized?

Aren't there some causes or people who you care about who need financial help?
Would you like to make the world a better place (in your mind, at least)?
What are the most important things in your life that you don't yet see?

My "enjoyment" would be to help make some of these things happen!

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:08 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:56 pm
Start giving away your money and knowledge in order to make a difference in the world.
I have tried to do this. For myself, I've found my spending to be more modest than I might have expected. Partly due to the fact that we traveled so much during pre-retirement life that traveling has lost its appeal so we don't travel often.

As I have settled into our location since retiring in 2007, I have found a number of local organizations that can use the financial help and management help. No pressure, a lot of satisfaction.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

rbaldini

Post by rbaldini » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:08 pm

tryingtogetahead wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:54 pm
rbaldini wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:48 pm
Yes, beyond the obvious, or is that what people do? I honestly don’t know what else to do so I do nothing but I just feel that it doesn’t make sense to save 87% each year in perpetuity.
If you can't think of anything to spend money on, then don't. Asking a bunch of strangers about how you should spend your money seems like a strange idea to me.

Really, though: do you never find yourself imagining what you might do if money were less of a concern? Start doing a bit more of whatever that is. You are aging at exactly the same rate as everyone else, but substantial savings allows you the opportunity to work a bit less than the rest, and enjoy your time more.

huskerfan1414

Post by huskerfan1414 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:11 pm

1. Help people in need, and try to be involved with it. Don't just donate money on a computer, well do that too, but try to actually help your money go to use.

2. Spend money on experiences over things. Take trips, and take some trips with a point to learn something. Go to battlefields, historical places. Travel to random places as well as exotic, normal vacations. Spending money through travel and experiences doesn't have to be super expensive and people who have experiences are happier than people with stuff.

Enjoy yourself OP. What's the point of saving all this if it wouldn't bring you joy? I don't think you have to worry about blowing through it, you seem to be in order.

(3. You could throw $50k at me to cancel my student loans as a thank-you for the advice, kidding not kidding. :mrgreen: :sharebeer )
The more I learn, the dumber I feel.

bligh

Post by bligh » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:12 pm

tryingtogetahead wrote:
We want to continue a high savings rate to maintain security but feel we have a little flexibility. Any suggestions? Is it just a bigger house and faster car? We do not want to FIRE or just give all of the money away. We find no value in just saving 80%+ every year but also don't know how much happiness or fulfillment comes from leasing a car for $1,200/month or buying a 7,000 SF home that reqs constant maintenance.
To me, being FI means you can spend your time and your money on whatever you see fit. No one on this board can really answer this for you. We can tell you want we like, and what we have heard others might enjoy, but your answer will depend on you.

You like fancy stuff? Big houses? luxury cars? Swiss watches? Tailored clothes? Go buy fancy stuff.
You like to travel? Go travel.
You like to eat out? Go eat out.
Don't like your job? Quit.. stay at home, or find another one
Want to stay home and read books? Sure. Go for it.
Like getting massages? Go get those!
Have a cause or charity you feel strongly about? Go support it!
Got any hobbies? Pursue them!

Just make sure that you do not increase your recurring expenses to the point where you find yourself no longer FI due to massive lifestyle inflation.

Basically. You are now in the fortunate sliver of society that are freed from worrying about their bills and can now direct their time, money and resources towards what brings them happiness. Congratulations!

gt5550

Post by gt5550 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:16 pm

Buy services of things you dont enjoy doing...yard care, house cleaner, baby sitter/nanny. Or, develop expensive hobbies :oops:

Topic Author
tryingtogetahead

Post by tryingtogetahead » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:32 pm

njdealguy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:59 pm
By base level of FI, does it mean you can theoretically live off your assets at a 4% annual withdrawal rate? If so I'd continue plugging away at accumulating more savings until the FI enables just a 2% or 3% withdrawal rate before allowing for some lifestyle inflation accordingly!
We collect about 29k of rent after all expenses on RE investments (there is no debt, just taxes, insurance and maintenance) and 30k of dividends so just passive income without touching principal is more than our total nut without needing any of our salaries, which are each over 250k and growing. We both enjoy our work and much of our social interaction is from work so we don’t want to FIRE.

Blender

Post by Blender » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:34 pm

tryingtogetahead wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:32 pm
We collect about 29k of rent after all expenses on RE investments (there is no debt, just taxes, insurance and maintenance) and 30k of dividends so just passive income without touching principal is more than our total nut without needing any of our salaries, which are each over 250k and growing. We both enjoy our work and much of our social interaction is from work so we don’t want to FIRE.
I think you need to change your forum handle :D

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:58 pm

Giving back. I plan to give back my FI number back to charities of interest. I like the idea of FI, but FIRE doesn’t interest me much.

Mechanically this is done through by donating appreciated funds to DAF and repurchasing assets with new funds (net pushing up the basis for tax savings). Like other charitable contributions, clustering DFA contributions into fewer years is ideal (IIRC up to 30% of AGI) and the tax savings will increase charitable funds. Also, contribute to any charitable matching program your employer provides.

I’m way behind you, but my spreadsheet tells me FI should be in my mid-40s with my charitable target ~6 years later (accelerated thanks in part to the tax savings).

Index Fan

Post by Index Fan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:03 pm

Develop a hobby or hobbies independent from investing and personal finance. Enjoy.
"Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis." | -Seneca

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:17 pm

Get involved in angel VC.

You'll get to spend time attending board meetings to keep you entertained, and you'll blow through your excess liquidity quickly.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:25 pm

ginrummy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:03 pm
Never fly coach again.
Fly to Paris and have dinner on the Eiffel Tower;

Buy an BMW M3 European Delivery and drive around Europe and/or the Alps for a month;

Buy a ski condo in Aspen.

But that's just me.

Seriously, sometimes being a super saver turns into being a miser and that is not healthy.
We plan. G-d laughs.

J295

Post by J295 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:27 pm

FI and 7 years retired here (myself in spouse of 38 years.. we are 60)

Respectfully, you may wish to examine if you are asking the right question for yourself and spouse.

Personally I don’t seek to “maximize enjoyment.”

Kind regards.
Last edited by J295 on Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:30 pm

tryingtogetahead wrote:
My spouse and I save about 87% of our NI, have no debt and enjoy our life but, now that we have achieved a base level of FI, we are questioning whether there are ways we can spend a little more money to maximize our happiness, but do not know how.

For context, we are in our 30s and have a NW of over $3mm and save over $350k/yr. ZERO debt including no mortgage. We want to continue a high savings rate to maintain security but feel we have a little flexibility.

Any suggestions?

Is it just a bigger house and faster car? We do not want to FIRE or just give all of the money away. We find no value in just saving 80%+ every year but also don't know how much happiness or fulfillment comes from leasing a car for $1,200/month or buying a 7,000 SF home that reqs constant maintenance.
Life's journey's are interesting. And, a long road ahead for age 30's

A few "financial, health, or other "Black Swans" and "Perfect Storms" and the $350k/yr job goes away, the $3 mil savings goes away, the mortgage free home goes away, zero debt goes away, etc.

One can never be complacent.

What "Black Swans" and "Perfect Storms"?
Infinite examples:
Divorce
Health
Accident
Tragedy
Lawsuits
Embezzlement
Children
Divorced Children or FTT, FTF, etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.

Actionably: make "hay" while the sun shines because sooner rather than later, it will not.
Keep saving and investing as though it can all be taken away tomorrow or as you sleep.

I'm sure there are some on the forum with real life experiences of this.
j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:30 pm

Take a month-long bike ride in some beautiful place. I can suggest several.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

lexie2000

Post by lexie2000 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:52 pm

We really like going out to eat on a semi-regular basis and have several friends who enjoy it too. We did not do this a lot before FI and since then it's nice to go to any restaurant and order anything we want without batting an eye.

mcblum

Post by mcblum » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:15 pm

throw away all your socks and neck ties

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:22 pm

J295 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:27 pm

Respectfully, you may wish to examine if you are asking the right question for yourself and spouse.

Kind regards.
+1

That question has never entered my mind. Now I'm worried that I might have left some enjoyment on the table :shock:

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:23 pm

mcblum wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:15 pm
throw away all your socks and neck ties
And watches and coins. Whew!

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:26 pm

For me:

Spend more time outdoors
Travel to interesting places
Design a beautiful conifer garden
Eat a delicious lunch on the sky deck overlooking the water
Continue to do meaningful work
Continue to create and expand a work culture where others can grow and make meaningful contributions to our world

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:36 pm

My answer would be quit thinking about your money.It is just money.
The best use of money by a rich guy is Bill Gates, but I know Bill Gates and you sir are no Bill Gates :D
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

ballons

Post by ballons » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:02 pm

$3mm and save over $350k/yr. ZERO debt including no mortgage. We want to continue a high savings rate to maintain security but feel we have a little flexibility.
It seems you have no set goal to achieve so you will never attain "enjoyment." What do you plan 30-40 years from now?

Someone mentioned therapy in another post and I would look into that, at least temporary. You should not have this much difficulty deciding what you should do with your own money to bring enjoyment to your life.

MostWonderfulTime

Post by MostWonderfulTime » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:06 pm

I am very surprised no one has suggested this yet.

Consider starting a family. My children are the greatest joy in my life and they certainly helped solve any worries about having too much money - between the cost of raising and educating them and my reduced salary to spend time with them.

I have decades of good memories and the chance to build new ones with them in the years ahead.

Congratulations on your financial success and best wishes in your search for happiness.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:10 pm

If you're not totally satisfied with your occupation, consider buying yourself more free time and reduce your work hours. You can certainly afford it. Do you have hobbies or travel you'd like more time to do?

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

BullMoose

Post by BullMoose » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:23 pm

MostWonderfulTime wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:06 pm
I am very surprised no one has suggested this yet.

Consider starting a family. My children are the greatest joy in my life and they certainly helped solve any worries about having too much money - between the cost of raising and educating them and my reduced salary to spend time with them.

I have decades of good memories and the chance to build new ones with them in the years ahead.

Congratulations on your financial success and best wishes in your search for happiness.
Having children: the quickest way to reduce your bank account balance...I mean, I love them and all, but... :happy
“It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Topic Author
tryingtogetahead

Post by tryingtogetahead » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:24 pm

ballons wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:02 pm
$3mm and save over $350k/yr. ZERO debt including no mortgage. We want to continue a high savings rate to maintain security but feel we have a little flexibility.
It seems you have no set goal to achieve so you will never attain "enjoyment." What do you plan 30-40 years from now?

Someone mentioned therapy in another post and I would look into that, at least temporary. You should not have this much difficulty deciding what you should do with your own money to bring enjoyment to your life.
Very interesting responses. Thank you all. I guess, having grown up with less than I have now, I am able to have everything I thought I wanted materially by spending about 13% of my take home pay. For the first several years of my career, I was 100% focused on buying a house and then paying it off, then paying off student loans, and then buying rental properties and later paying those off too. The whole process happened a lot faster than I expected and now I step back and, for the first time ever, I feel secure and think I have a baseline level of level that gives me security. People in my social circle refer to their money such that it allows them to enjoy whatever they value. For me, I want to find that “thing.” If not for enjoyment, what is it for?

rerod

Post by rerod » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:25 pm

Most people who retire regret it. Go back to work part time.

averagedude

Post by averagedude » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:36 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:50 pm
Seriously, you already know it isn't bigger houses or faster cars. A 40 day backpacking trip will give you a fresh prospective on what is really important in life. I admire you for even thinking of how to maximize happiness, health, money, or time in your life. You have already achieved one of the greatest things that money can buy, and that is financial independence.

MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:37 pm

Bigger house and faster cars are bad bets for life satisfaction. Stuff generally doesn't make you happier.

I'd focus on several areas. First, develop hobbies and be willing to spend money on those. Some hobbies are inherently expensive (sailing, flying, drug abuse). Other hobbies have highly variable expenses and allow you to do more if you spend more. Often this spending can grow exponentially.

I would focus your spending on experiences rather than stuff. Go on more interesting adventures. Take more time away from work. Hire guides and experts. Be willing to pay for more time, more efficient use of your time, and more knowledge. And bring friends.

Also look at ways to make the world around you a better place. For most people, that involves contributing time and energy, but adding money to that mix also brings feelings of satisfaction.

Topic Author
tryingtogetahead

Post by tryingtogetahead » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:40 pm

J295 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:27 pm

Kind regards.
Interesting question you pose. I never thought that something other than happiness is what is meant to be maximized. Please elaborate.

gr7070

Post by gr7070 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:43 pm

kidshrink wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:53 pm
This thread has classic potential. I'm surprised it hasn't been done before.
Seconded

22twain

Post by 22twain » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:52 pm

Index Fan wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:03 pm
Develop a hobby or hobbies independent from investing and personal finance. Enjoy.
+1

If you want suggestions for hobbies, enter “What are your hobbies” in the search box at the top right of this page. That will turn up several previous discussions here.
Help save endangered words! When you write "princiPLE", make sure you don't really mean "princiPAL"!

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:58 pm

livesoft wrote:
They make and have saved too much money to do backpacking.
Maybe the OP can rent a private jet once in a year to go somewhere Livesoft backpacks.

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:00 pm

As you can see from the responses, what makes you happy depends on your own values. You need to really know yourself in order to answer the question "what makes me happy". If you're only in your 30s, I would imagine that you're still learning this. You need to get out there and travel and learn to find out what's important to you and what makes you happy.

Re: the other responses, I would offer this advice from my own experiences and values. Yes, you can donate to charities that make life easier for other people. But what do people want when their life is easier? In my experience what they want is children, or if that's not possible, they want more people that are closely related to themselves. If that fits your world view then go for it, donate your time and money to charities that help other humans. In my world view, humans are doing pretty well on planet Earth. It's really every other species that are having a hard time.

So this what I mean by really knowing yourself.

basspond

Post by basspond » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:10 pm

Before we were FI we made a decision to donate at least 10% of our gross salary. That enabled us to live satisfying lives and attain FI earlier. Then being FI we were able to volunteer for worthwhile causes that have enriched our lives. But other then that, a boat, live theater season tickets, yearly multiple nice vacations, and limited gambling have been part of our simple pleasures.

averagedude

Post by averagedude » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:14 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:58 pm
livesoft wrote:
They make and have saved too much money to do backpacking.
Maybe the OP can rent a private jet once in a year to go somewhere Livesoft backpacks.
I said in a previous post about backpacking 40 days. That could be extreme for some people, but I believe even a 5 day backpack trip would be great. If you did this and were miserable during this time, I guarantee 5 years after doing this, you would look at this experience as being beneficial.