Taking Long Time for IRS to Accept Return

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Call_Me_Op

Taking Long Time for IRS to Accept Return

Post by Call_Me_Op » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:57 pm

I used TaxAct and efiled both my federal and state forms about 3-4 weeks ago. My state return was accepted within a few hours but I have heard nothing regarding the federal form. Does anyone know if there are long delays with the IRS accepting efiled tax forms this year?
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

AspireToRetire

Re: Taking Long Time for IRS to Accept Return

Post by AspireToRetire » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:59 pm

Which state?

Topic Author
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:04 pm

AspireToRetire wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:59 pm
Which state?
Not concerned about the state. The state return was accepted immediately.

neurosphere

Post by neurosphere » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:15 pm

Call_Me_Op wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:57 pm
I used TaxAct and efiled both my federal and state forms about 3-4 weeks ago. My state return was accepted within a few hours but I have heard nothing regarding the federal form. Does anyone know if there are long delays with the IRS accepting efiled tax forms this year?
TaxAct will send a notification email with the federal acceptance. I assume you are stating you didn't receive one. Is there some other method you used to confirm it wasn't received?

I filed about 40 returns with taxact this year and all of them were accepted nearly instantly, at least as evidenced by the "accepted" email generated by the software.

My understanding is that the acceptance is automatic, and is basically a check for the integrity of the return. The only rejection I'd ever seen was when the SS number had already been used to file an earlier fraudulent return.
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes".

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:17 pm

Call_Me_Op wrote:
I filed a return in March and IRS accepted it within 2 hours.

student

Post by student » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:18 pm

I used Taxcut and it was accepted the same day.

Topic Author
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:59 pm

neurosphere wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:15 pm
Call_Me_Op wrote:
TaxAct will send a notification email with the federal acceptance. I assume you are stating you didn't receive one. Is there some other method you used to confirm it wasn't received?

I filed about 40 returns with taxact this year and all of them were accepted nearly instantly, at least as evidenced by the "accepted" email generated by the software.

My understanding is that the acceptance is automatic, and is basically a check for the integrity of the return. The only rejection I'd ever seen was when the SS number had already been used to file an earlier fraudulent return.
I never received the acceptance email from Taxact. I did receive it for the state return but not federal. Maybe I should try to call Taxact?

life in slices

Post by life in slices » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:06 pm

Looks like TaxAct has a couple of links you can go to check on status
https://www.taxact.com/support/551/2019 ... been-filed

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:08 pm

I helped DS efile his on 3/30 via TurboTax. Feds accepted it within an hour.

yohac

Post by yohac » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:39 pm

There may be an error on your return. Best to check "Where's My Refund": https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:44 pm

I will second the response to go back and log in to TaxAct. Check the status of your federal return. I suspect that it has been accepted and there was just a problem with the email notification.

amp

Post by amp » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:57 pm

I was under the impression that when you efile your federal and state returns together, the federal return must be accepted before the state return can even be looked at. So if you got an acceptance from your state, your federal return must have been accepted as well.

This link is from Taxslayer, but it lays out the process:
If the Federal return is accepted (or in the case of a State-only return the last name and SSN is validated), the IRS sends the state return to the proper state for processing. When the state sends the ACK, we e-mail the taxpayer whether the return has been accepted or rejected.
https://support.taxslayer.com/hc/en-us/ ... -I-e-File-

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:08 pm

Call_Me_Op wrote:
I used TurboTax and submitted my yesterday.

Got confirmation of acceptance a few hours later, still on Sunday, though.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

Topic Author
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:19 pm

Sorry folks. It appears that I missed it when it came in. Turns out that it was accepted at the same instant that Taxact sent me an email saying that had submitted it. It came so fast I missed it!

raveon

Post by raveon » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:20 pm

Federal government is fast to take money out of your bank account. Slow to send the refund. :D

clip651

Post by clip651 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:48 pm

Call_Me_Op wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:19 pm
Sorry folks. It appears that I missed it when it came in. Turns out that it was accepted at the same instant that Taxact sent me an email saying that had submitted it. It came so fast I missed it!
Please edit your thread title and opening post with this update, so people new to the thread know it's been resolved. Gald you found it. :D